The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting my journey in South America

Nick S

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 29, 2019
Hey everyone!

My name is Nick

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the community and perhaps seek a little advice.

I am 23 years old. I have graduated debt free with an I.T. degree. I have 15k in savings, and have a location independent english tutoring job that covers my basic living expenses.

I am currently living in South America and have decided to do so for 3 reasons:

1. Lower cost of living: by living in this part of the world my daily expenses are nearly cut in half, so I can cover my living costs by working about 20 hrs/week thus freeing up time to work on my business endeavors.

2. Second passport: given the state of the western world, I think getting a second passport in the developing world will open up more opportunities in the future and help with taxes when I have a successful business.

3. Learning spanish: I think this will be a useful skill in both my personal and business life.

Right now I occupy my time with working, learning, gym, and working on my blog.

My blog is geared mainly towards business, social skills, and lifestyle from the perspective of an introvert (INTJ/sigma male).

Right now the plan is to build up the blog and develop a brand out of it.

I'm following the Bold and Determined approch of focusing on producing good content first, gathering an audience, then start releasing products (although I have affiliate links now).

I know it's going to take awhile to make money going the blogging route so I was wondering, if you guys were in my shoes would you do anything different?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
IMO, you're doing it backward. Find a customer who wants what you offer then deliver it. Instead, you're building an audience and then hoping to push them something.

I'm not a fan of what you're doing as a primary business model. It's more supportive, than primary.

That said, are you looking to create a personal brand? Or a brand you can separate from?

Also, what is your native land? America? UK?

Other than that, welcome to the forum, appreciate the intro.

Nick S

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 29, 2019
IMO, you're doing it backward. Find a customer who wants what you offer then deliver it. Instead, you're building an audience and then hoping to push them something.

I'm not a fan of what you're doing as a primary business model. It's more supportive, than primary.

That said, are you looking to create a personal brand? Or a brand you can separate from?

Hey MJ

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I'm originally from the USA.

This is more of a personal brand I'm trying to develop.

I'll likely branch out into other pursuits as well. This is primarily a testing ground for learning how to implement good web development, marketing, audience building, writing, etc. skills.

I've been looking into creating niche affiliate sites as well, which is what i'll likely pursue for making money online.

The main goal right now is to lay the foundation for a good blog and pick up all of the necessary skills in the process. Which will serve me well in future endeavors.

And if the blog succeeds that will open up the possibiliy for releasing products in the future

Once the foundation and accompanying skills have been aquired i'll keep chipping away at it while building up the war chest some more by working a better paying job (back in the us).

I've grown accustomed to minimalism so saving is not an issue.

I think the main problem right now is that i'm flying blind. I know i want to be an online entrepreneur but I'm still figuring out exactly what my primary business will be.

So in the mean time i plan to write about what i know (overcoming shyness and social anxiety, and introvert lifestyle), start a small affiliate income stream, and work a more traditional job back in the USA once i finish up the paperwork here to get my permanent residency.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Hey MJ

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I'm originally from the USA.

This is more of a personal brand I'm trying to develop.

I'll likely branch out into other pursuits as well. This is primarily a testing ground for learning how to implement good web development, marketing, audience building, writing, etc. skills.

I've been looking into creating niche affiliate sites as well, which is what i'll likely pursue for making money online.

The main goal right now is to lay the foundation for a good blog and pick up all of the necessary skills in the process. Which will serve me well in future endeavors.

And if the blog succeeds that will open up the possibiliy for releasing products in the future

Once the foundation and accompanying skills have been aquired i'll keep chipping away at it while building up the war chest some more by working a better paying job (back in the us).

I've grown accustomed to minimalism so saving is not an issue.

I think the main problem right now is that i'm flying blind. I know i want to be an online entrepreneur but I'm still figuring out exactly what my primary business will be.

So in the mean time i plan to write about what i know (overcoming shyness and social anxiety, and introvert lifestyle), start a small affiliate income stream, and work a more traditional job back in the USA once i finish up the paperwork here to get my permanent residency.

You mentioned blogging and you mentioned income streams and flying blind I think this resource will help. And Welcome sounds like you will be a awesome Digital Nomad!

What I love a bout his free email course it is focused on your making 5 digit$ in 90 days..not blindly "blogging". Time is precious. :)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey everyone!

My name is Nick

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the community and perhaps seek a little advice.

I am 23 years old. I have graduated debt free with an I.T. degree. I have 15k in savings, and have a location independent english tutoring job that covers my basic living expenses.

1. Lower cost of living: by living in this part of the world my daily expenses are nearly cut in half, so I can cover my living costs by working about 20 hrs/week thus freeing up time to work on my business endeavors.

2. Second passport: given the state of the western world, I think getting a second passport in the developing world will open up more opportunities in the future and help with taxes when I have a successful business.

3. Learning spanish: I think this will be a useful skill in both my personal and business life.

My blog is geared mainly towards business, social skills, and lifestyle from the perspective of an introvert (INTJ/sigma male).

I'm following the Bold and Determined approch of focusing on producing good content first, gathering an audience, then start releasing products (although I have affiliate links now).

I know it's going to take awhile to make money going the blogging route so I was wondering, if you guys were in my shoes would you do anything different?
Welcome.

Sorry to be fixated on details but I dont agree with your reasoning that working in South America instead of North America enable you to work less hours to cover your expenses.

While your expense is low your pay is low too. People in a lower living standard economy spend more time to make above the subsistence level, that’s why they tend to travel to a developed country to work a few years because they can easily save more through working full time.

Of course if you are doing for lifestyle reasons thats okay. Getting a second passport and learning Spanish for example.

Congrats for having 15k. I assure you that I have seen plenty of dudes in their mid 30s with debts and have far less cash than that.

I just caution you against too fixated with minimalism and having the sense of “semi-retirement” mood. You are young and this is a time to drive revenue/income and accumulate assets.

Nick S

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 29, 2019
Thanks for the responses guys!

@Entre Eyes Awesome resource. Just quickly browsing the first page made me want to sign up for his email course. I definitely realize that I need to create a good product offering if I wish to make money blogging (starting with affiliates, baby steps).

I'll likely end up making a more targeted money making blog with a niche product offering, but for now I'm going to experiment with my current blog and treat it as a learning experience (and hopefully make some affiliate income).

@Kevin88660 Yeah "laziness by minimalism" is definitely something I'm aware of and have struggled with at times. I think I am going to look for a job down here at a North American company (IBM, SAP, etc.), and continue working part time on the blog since I don't have that great idea yet. They tend to pay better than the local jobs, and require business to be conducted in English (native english speakers are rare down here, so I think I have an advantage). Plus I can always transfer to the US offices.

Even with the lower pay I still think I'll come out ahead down here when you factor in not needing a car (insurance, fuel, maintenance), cheaper health care, and just a general lower cost of living (everything is about 30% cheaper down here on average).

In all honesty I think I need some more experience and structure right now, so a traditional job might not be a bad idea in the short term.

Plus I'd like to grow the war chest some more.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hey everyone!

My name is Nick

Welcome to the forum. I'm also starting a blog based on Vic's model from bold and determined. There's another blogger on this forum that advice to have a product to sell from the start. Don't wait until you have an audience to start selling. Have a product even if you don't have an audience yet.

Also regarding a second passport that won't stop the IRS from collecting taxes from you. You'll need to renounce your US citizenship to avoid paying taxes. Even if you have bank accounts with your second passport the IRS will find you and make you pay taxes.

Can you elaborate more on this? I'm doing the same blog business too. I plan to sell an ebook and eventually clothing. Also I might drop ship products such as water filters, razors, and air filters later on. My blog is about finding a balance between technology and nature. Should I keep going? Or find something else to do?

Nick S

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 29, 2019
Welcome to the forum. I'm also starting a blog based on Vic's model from bold and determined. There's another blogger on this forum that advice to have a product to sell from the start. Don't wait until you have an audience to start selling. Have a product even if you don't have an audience yet.

Also regarding a second passport that won't stop the IRS from collecting taxes from you. You'll need to renounce your US citizenship to avoid paying taxes. Even if you have bank accounts with your second passport the IRS will find you and make you pay taxes.

After hearing the advice on this forum I'm thinking developing the product first is a good idea. Especially since I don't currently have any call to action.

Regarding the second passport, I'm well aware of citizenship based taxation, fbar, fatca etc.

I'm simply taking steps now to ensure that I'll have options in the future.

I'm a big fan of Nomad Capitalist and am starting to implement some of his advice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...