The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a carpet cleaning business

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Had my first $500 day yesterday. Only worked for around 5 hours. I just need to do it 20 times per month to make 10k. The customers are happy and always leave a tip.

Just got this guy. Not having to rent a van for each job is nice

Attachments

• 20221112_153114.jpg
    20221112_153114.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 42

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Switched back to manual CPC in December and everything went back to normal.
410185502_24482352234743007_4289703653307998236_n.jpg
Almost 200k just from google this year from 1 van working less than 20 hours a week on average. I'm also in top 3 on google maps in my city with over 100 5 star reviews and on the first page on search.
1692771272380.png

Next year I'll add Nextdoor, Facebook ads, Youtube and Tik Tok videos, and try Youtube ads for online marketing, and I'll create some sort of a referral system with other local business that service my ideal client. I'll stop by their office every week with a box of donuts and offer 15% of revenue for every referred customer.

Every customer from this year will get an automated reminder after 6, 9, 12 months to get their carpets cleaned again and a call from my VA.

I've been doing all this with $5k worth of equipment, but I'm getting a truckmounted extraction machine now that'll allow me to get better results, record better videos, upsell more, and clean tile and upholstery properly. I'll start advertising tile, upholstery and wood floor cleaning as well, so the average ticket should be a lot more next year! I love carpet cleaning. Maybe I should offer a course on how to start a carpet cleaning business or some kind of coaching! Or a marketing company for carpet cleaners?

To anyone who wants to start a home service business I would recommend "The 5 secrets of phenomenal business" by Howard Partridge

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Here's some stats for June. About $22000 in revenue, all the leads came from google ads and google local services ads. There was a couple of referrals as well. Doing the work while answering the phone and giving quotes every minute sucks especially when English is not your first language. I'll try using another answering service and if it doesn't work I'll probably hire a VA or something.

Apart from that, the business is running almost automatically. I haven't had to intervene with the ads this month, and they're still performing well. The booking software automatically sends email and text sequences to people who haven't booked, and they actually think I'm sending all those messages personally.

I'm one of the most expensive companies in the area. I don't know how people are paying $700-800 to have their carpets cleaned, but they are. The secret is in offering 3 packages. Most people will choose the middle one, which is already more expensive than what most companies offer, but some of them will choose the most expensive one. It takes only 20 minutes extra to do the third package and it doubles the profit

The goal is to have 2 vans working full time 6 days a week bringing in about $35-50k per month. I just need to double the lead flow somehow. I could probably open a couple more "locations" on google maps in a different parts of the city and run google local services ads from there as well, but it wouldn't be fairArtboard 1.jpgLogo_Stacked_Color_JPG.jpgpng-clipart-facebook-logo-social-media-computer-icons-social-network-logo-social-text-social-m...png

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Hello,

I'm 21 years old. After 2 years of wasting time and action faking I decided to start a home service business, specifically carpet cleaning. I will be doing hardwood, tile and upholstery as well. I chose this idea because it's pretty easy and inexpensive to start, doesn't require any special licensees or permits, and there is demand for this kind of service in my area. Also, my monthly expenses will be extremely low, so I'll get to keep most of the profit I make. I don't have any previous marketing or cleaning experience, except for running FB ads for some Chinese junk, so I'll have to learn everything from scratch. I hope this thread will be helpful for someone wanting to start a service business, and I will appreciate any advice from you.

What I have done so far:
1)Website with online booking and chat - Wordpress(divi plugin), zenbooker, tawk to. Hired a copywriter to do the content part, because my English sucks.
2)Google business profile with some pictures of my carpet being cleaned.
3)Bought cleaning equipment (175 buffer(used), oreck orbiter, good vacuum and some other stuff) - around $1000
4)Facebook business profile
5)Got a google guarantee badge which might help with getting more leads
6)Currently running a google ads campaign, $30 per day budget. I have 2 ad groups. One for exact match keywords and the other one for phrase match. Everything else is the same. Got 3 leads so far for about $15 dollars each.
7)Did 2 small carpet cleaning jobs by myself, the clients were happy with the result. They were just 1 room cleanings that took me about an hour to do. Charged $100 for each. I have my next job scheduled for next week. Missed a few clients by not answering my phone and not replying in chat. Missed a 4 bedroom house cleaning because of my full time job.

I think my main problem is that I don't have a clear USP and I'm having a hard time differentiating from the competitors. I have a good looking website with convenient online booking system and upfront pricing. My method of cleaning allows me to advertise 1 hour dry time. I have a 10% discount for new customers. But I feel like I can come up with something better, so I could justify raising my prices.

I'm tired of commuting to a shitty job every day and wasting my time there. But I'll have to keep it for some time to pay for my expenses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Made $10k in May and quit my 30k a year job yesterday! Hit a new record of $1300 today from 5 jobs. Should I invest in a truck mount? Would you care what method of cleaning your carpet cleaner used? I'm using a $500 floor buffer and it cleans pretty well as long as the carpet is pretty clean to begin with, just doesn't look professional. Truck mounts are around $10-20k

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
343678683_3341664752814099_731638924461945022_n.jpg
Best month so far, more than 10k in sales. I'm still buying a bunch of stuff for the business and had to pay quarterly taxes this month, so profit isn't that great. Best thing is I'm only working 2-5 hours per day 3-4 days a week, so there's still a lot of room to grow without having to hire employees. I'm still working at my job 2 days a week for some reason. I just keep delaying it. I think I can quit it now?

My job average went from $150 when I started to about $380 now. I'm no longer advertising cheap prices and specials trying to serve everyone. Instead, I focus on quality of work, customer service, 100% satisfaction guarantee, top quality cleaning products and so on.

I'll be hiring a virtual assistant from Philippines for $6 an hour to manage inbound calls, customer service and social media when I start getting more leads, so I could finally enjoy cleaning carpets without having to pick up the phone.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
It's been a challenging two months. Spending $100 on ads every single day while working for 12 hours without any return was pretty depressing, but the hard work is finally beginning to pay off. Something changed. The phone started to ring. I've been consistently making $500-$800 every day 5 days a week for the past couple of weeks. If this trend continues, I'm on track to hit at least $10,000 in April, which was my goal for June.

What I've improved:

Pricing. I was pulling prices out of my a$$ and didn't have any system in place. Now they are set in stone. I offer 3 tiers of service. When offered 3 options, customers are less likely to shop around for a better price, and most often choose the middle one. You just have to clearly communicate the value of each option. When you give them only one price, they'll keep searching and getting bids from other companies. I was able to increase profits by 20-25% by doing that, and there's still plenty of room to raise my prices.

Follow ups and customer retention

Every customer who gets a quote and doesn't book right away receives 7 emails and 2 text messages over a 20 day period with a personal message and a link to book their appointment.
Every customer who books an appointment, receives a confirmation, a reminder one week prior to their appointment, a reminder one day before their appointment, an email requesting a review after their appointment, as well as follow-up messages at 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year to get repeat business. I'm giving out 3 $30 dollar gift cards to every customer that I like that can be used towards future purchases or shared with friends and family as a way to encourage referrals. I'm also going to mail a gift card to every customer that I've had who paid more than $200 for their service.

Google my business, website, ads, etc

Post an update or upload a picture on your business profile every day. Make sure to get reviews and reply to every single one. Don't just say "thank you", you have to use your keywords in your replies. Download a QR with your review link onto your phone and have the customer scan it before you leave and then email them a link to leave a review. I'm getting reviews from 80% of them that way. Just asking to leave a review doesn't work that well.
I also improved the speed and design of my website, uploaded a bunch of real pictures and a video. You have to build trust and pre-sell them before they call you.

Quality of service

I got some new tools and YouTube training to make the work easier and get better results. I'm actually doing what I'm expected to do. Providing a quality service. You have to be at least decent at what you were hired to do. Be friendly, polite and personable. Get some uniforms and wrap your truck to look legit. Walk in with a nice tool bag and a tablet to show them their estimate and get a signature. Do a good job, get a review, give out gift cards. Repeat. If they really liked the service, your business will grow exponentially just from that

Don't try to sell your service to everyone. Focus on your target audience. Don't waste your time on cheap asses. Their houses are the dirtiest and they don't want to pay anything.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Should I wait until next year when I have more repeat customers? Or should I just find someone who can work part time?
This is one of those situations where you have to search deep inside yourself because there's no "one size fits all" answer.

Do you want to deal with managing, hiring, firing, quality control, tough conversations, etc? This is an industry where things can get ugly if you make the wrong hire. One of my employees robbed a customer and I ended up getting sued for it. Not fun, but it's part of the game when you have a biz that requires employees to enter a client's home.

When I needed part time employees I found that the best ones were retired airline suitcase workers. They're reliable, work very hard(transporting suitcases all day is exhausting), and don't want a full-time income because they already have their pension. They just want some extra pocket money.

If you want to go the solo route but make more money, another option is to aggressively raise your prices. You have clients who are loyal to you regardless of price simply because you've earned their trust when entering their home.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Business phone system + phone tree to route calls + RingCentral set up to forward missed calls if your sales girl or you doesn’t pick up, forwards to answering service such as voicenation or ruby which have a sales script and can fill out web form that automatically ads them to a crm, or they can schedule appointments using a calendly that you use for scheduling quotes = 0 missed leads

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I'll be hiring a virtual assistant from Philippines for $6 an hour to manage inbound calls, customer service and social media when I start getting more leads,
Here's a good way to set it up:

Phone system: missed calls kick over to our answering service, voicenation. They have scripts and they say "our quoting manager is on another line but let me get your info and we will get you a quote right away". They have a web-form so when they fill out the customer info, it goes straight into our crm. We use hubspot but any crm can work since the form they fill out could be a jotform that uses zapier or make.com to automatically upload the lead into whichever system you want to use.

Then, the leads go in hubspot mixed in with everyone else, so it's all in one place.

It's 24/7. We have 0 missed sales calls. Call us at 2am for a damn lawn care quote. We can handle it.

We have an automation set up to send them a text that says we will reach out soon but in the meantime they can get an instant quote at this link and they can go on there and do the entire signup process remotely. Just another thing we do to make us the best company around at what we do.

Facebook ads that go to messenger have been great for us. It sends them an auto message that tells them to get an instant quote at this link, or call us, and it asks for their info. Then we follow up and put them in hubspot.

Customer service rep calls leads, schedules quotes or sends price info, moves lead into the "quote" list with one click, and then follows up unsigned quotes. All quotes that signup are automatically moved into "customer" list with API connections so her job is simple. This lets us signup a lot of people in a day so we can have a single person handling sales for 4 different locations and still get it done.

1682888747705.png

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Just a quick update. Yes, I'm still doing it, though it's going pretty slow right now, but it should pick up some time around March. It's normal in the home service industry. I'm planning to quit my full-time job when I'm able to do 1 or 2 carpet cleaning jobs per day. I'm doing 2-3 per week right now. The average ticket is around $300.

It is a great business with high margins. You can easily make $400-500 for 2 hours of work while spending about $10 dollars on gas and chemicals. The most difficult part is getting those high-margin jobs, because the competition is fierce.

So the demand is definitely there. I think the problem is that there's not enough value skew. I have a nicely designed website with an online booking system, good customer service, a 100% guarantee on cleaning results, a fast dry time, no bait-and-switch tactics. But there are companies that have all of that too, plus hundreds of reviews. I need to think about how I can differentiate myself from them.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Goals for this year:
Quit my job by March 31st
Make the company more professional by implementing uniforms, wrapping the van, and branding equipment with company logos and stuff like that
Hire someone, probably a phone answering service, to handle incoming calls and schedule jobs
Hire my first employee to allow me to focus on managing the business instead of working in it.
A profit of $10.000 per month by June 30th
A profit of $20.000 per month by December 31st

$10.000 per month is 2 jobs per day 5 days a week. That's only 3-4 hours of work a day. 1 tech can complete at least 4 jobs per day (I've already done it myself) and bring in $1000 in revenue per day which is around $20.000 per month if the average ticket is $250 which is on the lower side. If things go as planned, I will add another truck and double the profits.

I'm also getting a lot of calls about rug cleaning, so I'm planning on renting a physical location and building a rug washing facility in there. I will pick up area rugs, clean and deliver them to their doorstep. I imagine I could make $150-200 per rug or even more.

The margins in this business are pretty high, I use like $10 worth of gas and chemicals on every job and $20-30 to acquire a new customer which I can retain and get recurring revenue.

I'm using google ads, google local service ads and facebook ads to get new customers.

I believe it's all possible because I'm running this business like an absolute retard right now and still making good profits while working a full time job and spending like 10 hours per week on the business.

What I would have done differently:
I followed the advice of buying everything as cheaply as possible. Now I have to replace half of my equipment so I don't look like an idiot walking into a customer's house with a rusty floor buffer and a Walmart broom. Cutting corners to save a couple grand in the short term can end up costing you more in the long run. But don't buy anything expensive before you test the idea and make sure it'll work for you. Don't go and buy $70k worth of equipment before you even start. You need to minimize your expenses while looking professional and being able to do your job efficiently.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
This week was the best so far
Monday - $730 from 3 jobs
Tuesday - day job + $450 from 1 job
Wednesday - day job + $230 from 1 job
Thursday - $700 from 3 jobs
Friday - $500 from 2 jobs
Saturday - $1000 from 3 jobs

Gross revenue ~$3500
Expenses ~$1200. $500 - google ads, $500 google local services, $200 - gas and chems.
I'm optimizing google ads and google local service ads right now, so I won't be spending that much on ads in the future. I'm hoping to bring down the marketing costs to 15-20%

I'm currently booking 1-3 jobs per day. Just booked a ~$1400 job. Huge house carpet cleaning + restretching. Taking calls while working or driving has been challenging. I tried using a phone answering service but it didn't work out. Should I just get a laptop or a tablet to keep in the van and just pull over to give them a quote and book real quick?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
a marketing company for carpet cleaners?
Nail it for yourself and then scale by doing this, or creating a platform you own that sends leads to partner carpet cleaners?

A course on how to start a carpet cleaning business has a different market (the carpet cleaners not the consumers). Not saying it can't be done, just that you're currently succeeding by generating leads of consumers looking for carpet cleaners.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Just a quick update. Yes, I'm still doing it, though it's going pretty slow right now, but it should pick up some time around March. It's normal in the home service industry. I'm planning to quit my full-time job when I'm able to do 1 or 2 carpet cleaning jobs per day. I'm doing 2-3 per week right now. The average ticket is around $300.

It is a great business with high margins. You can easily make $400-500 for 2 hours of work while spending about $10 dollars on gas and chemicals. The most difficult part is getting those high-margin jobs, because the competition is fierce.

So the demand is definitely there. I think the problem is that there's not enough value skew. I have a nicely designed website with an online booking system, good customer service, a 100% guarantee on cleaning results, a fast dry time, no bait-and-switch tactics. But there are companies that have all of that too, plus hundreds of reviews. I need to think about how I can differentiate myself from them.
Here's a few things I do for my carpet cleaning clients:

1. automate the collection of reviews from their customers. It will get 3x more reviews than asking verbally.

2. Share those reviews across their website and post them on social media pages.

3. Use an AI system to automatically respond to their reviews in a human like manner. This will not only show customers you care but also help Google rank the business listing higher.

4. Facebook ads launcher - Choose from library of proven carpet cleaning ads and launch them in 3 clicks without ever having to go into Facebook business manager.

5. Missed call text back - A lot of carpet cleaners miss calls because they're busy doing the job. When this happens our system sends the customers a text if they miss their call, something along the lines of Hey, it's Joe from Joe Bloggs Carpet Cleaning, sorry I missed your call how can i help?

6. Recommendations - Invite customers to recommend you to their friends and family on Facebook. Can be incentivised or not.

7. Automated messages to previous customers inviting them to rebook.

8. Textchat widget added to their website to pick up extra leads and they can still contact the lead even when they've left their site.

You can do any of these things manually also. Hope that helps.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Pressure washing could be another upsell. People that are in let’s get the carpets cleaned mode are probably also open to having a nice clean driveway and paths too.
That's a good idea, I just went and bought a pressure washer. I will add pressure washing to my services and if it goes well, I'll probably create a pressure washing and soft washing company, because carpet cleaning and pressure washing sounds kind of weird together
Resized_20230604_175835.jpg

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Maybe I should offer a course on how to start a carpet cleaning business or some kind of coaching! Or a marketing company for carpet cleaners?
Idk what it is about our industry, but every time I see someone come out with a carpet cleaning mentoring course they get absolutely destroyed by the community. For some reason carpet cleaners don't like to pay anything above $0 when it comes to coaching/courses. Not saying it can't be done though.

I heard a lot of complaints from carpet cleaners that agencies send them fake leads, and complaints from agencies that carpet cleaners can't close the leads that get sent to them, because they don't contact them in time, don't follow up etc and cancel the service eventually.
I was a client of Ads Grow Business for a very brief time. They are one of the largest marketing companies for carpet cleaners despite the fact that their leads are either fake or the lowest quality ever. If you can be a detective and find out who their customers are, you can have a very effective rip and replace campaign.

There are a few other forum members who created 6-figure carpet cleaning businesses starting from my thread that I made 10 years ago. Lmk if you're interested in networking with them.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
It doesn't seem you have a USP problem. It seems your problem is not closing sales.

If you are unable to answer your phone due to work, could you hire someone for cheap? For instance a virtual assistant. Another option could be that you hire one of your parents or relatives or someone who either works at home or doesn't currently work.

What is the point of running ads if your can't close because you are busy with your slowlane job.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Nail it for yourself and then scale by doing this, or creating a platform you own that sends leads to partner carpet cleaners?
I heard a lot of complaints from carpet cleaners that agencies send them fake leads, and complaints from agencies that carpet cleaners can't close the leads that get sent to them, because they don't contact them in time, don't follow up etc and cancel the service eventually.

So I'm considering not only sending them leads but also closing them, following up using an automated system, and scheduling appointments with software that calculates distances between job sites and the time needed to complete a job. My VA does all of that for my company, and I'm sure she can do the same thing for at least 3 other companies at the same time. And I could scale by hiring more VAs

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
In terms of profit how much would you say you get to take home ? 50%? A little bit more ?
How do you manage your business finances ? How much % are you keeping for chemicals and vans maintenance ?

I've been following your journey on this thread and i can't say anything more than congratulation and to keep the grind !
Hi! The profit margin is about 65%. Chemicals cost maybe 1-2% of the revenue, and I spent about $1000 on maintenance last year. The biggest cost was marketing, because I didn't have any repeat business and had to buy every customer. Hopefully this year I'll get more repeat customers. I've set up automatic SMS and email reminders and postcards with discounts on other services every 1,3,6, 9 and 12 months.

I'm also implementing a referral system, where every customer will get a 15% fee (check in the mail or a discount on future services) for referring someone.

I also want to offer them the option to subscribe to our services for a monthly fee and get a 30% discount on any services, along with additional benefits like priority scheduling, a lifetime spot remover and some other things.
For example, if the job is $350, I can give them a 30% discount on their first visit if they subscribe which brings the price down to $245. With the monthly fee of $9, even if they don't use us for the rest of the year, I'll get the $105 back in a year, and they'll just end up paying the same price as if there was no discount in the first place. But now if they need to get something cleaned, they'll be more likely to use us, because they're already subscribed and I can sell them carpet protector or pet treatment to offset the 30% discount and offer other services, so, the average ticket price won't decrease significantly.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I was looking into getting a call answering service. Just need more leads to pay for it. I don't know why they need to call when they can just book online and even get a discount for it.
People prefer to to talk to people rather than deal with an impersonal form-filling process online.

Think carefully about using an answering service. The person that a prospect talks to must know everything useful and helpful about your business so that the caller gets the feeling that they care.

Walter

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Join a graphic design group and ask if any one would like to trade you a carpet cleaning for logo or sign designs. They’ll probably not be too keen but make sure you mention that any pm’s about designs would be helpful. Someone might pm you to create some stuff at low cost.

Find out where several of the sign shops (that wrap vehicles or put decals on vehicles) are then go chat those up as well.

My sign guy once gave me examples of all the bad van designs (after I brought him petit fours or macaroons, I brought cookies/pastries to so many businesses!!) and offered to make my first sign for a trade off after I spent about an hour listening to him grumble about his life.

You might be surprised at how willing ppl are to help you if you show up willing to listen. (And bring donuts)

Lastly, move the van around. It’s signage! That means if you park it in different places different ppl will see it. Then when they search your business they’ll know you work in the area.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Hey man, reading this tread has been really motivating.
Your business is basically the same as mine, just a few level higher.
Good luck on your further journey.
yeah, I skipped the door knocking part because it's not scalable and I didn't have time for that, and started focusing on internet marketing right away. It took me about 6 months to figure out what to do, and I'm still not there yet. Like @Johnny boy said, you need to be your own lead gen company. You can make 10s of thousands in revenue per month with an optimized GMB, Google Ads of Facebook ads, LSA, referral program for your customers, getting repeat clients etc. Are you doing just window cleaning? Can you buy a pressure washer and add that to your services? Or gutter cleaning? Roof cleaning? Combine them in packages (good, better, best) and upsell

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Yeah I'll do that when I can.
Since I have no clue about websites and online backend, that stuff will take me another week. Also flyers have proven to be alright but it's starting to get expensive now.

The upsell thing is great. I am gonna look for a safe way to work on roofs, since that has a high barrier to entry and I can charge way more money for that.
Just don't do steep roofs.

HouseII2007.jpg

Old person's house, rambler, brush off moss and blow out gutters, $400 for a couple hours, listen to some music and get a tan, head home.

Good cardio, I enjoyed doing it. And always paid in cash. :cash:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Made $10k in May and quit my 30k a year job yesterday! Hit a new record of $1300 today from 5 jobs. Should I invest in a truck mount? Would you care what method of cleaning your carpet cleaner used? I'm using a $500 floor buffer and it cleans pretty well as long as the carpet is pretty clean to begin with, just doesn't look professional. Truck mounts are around $10-20k
Pretty sure the guy who cleaned ours didn’t have one, I didn’t pay enough attention. I really don’t think anyone would care or even know what a truck mount is.

Has anyone said something?

Are your clients people who get them cleaned regularly or is it mostly 1 off jobs?

You’re getting paying clients and making money, unless it’s going to make jobs significantly easier and faster and mean you can get more done, I wouldn’t. Just keep your head down and keep stacking money.

I wouldn’t care if my lawn care guy used a hand mower or a ride on. Johnny seems to be big on using cheap mowers until they break and then buying new ones. You could probably take the same approach and scale that way.

10k is enough to buy another van and carpet cleaner and probably pay someone’s wages for a month.

Also if you are still looking for up sells, the guy who did our carpets upsold us cleaning our floor tiles, he just did the grout by hand with a grout brush and then run over the tiles with a machine. I was super happy with how they turned out.

Pressure washing could be another upsell. People that are in let’s get the carpets cleaned mode are probably also open to having a nice clean driveway and paths too.

Last edited:

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
This is one of those situations where you have to search deep inside yourself because there's no "one size fits all" answer.

Do you want to deal with managing, hiring, firing, quality control, tough conversations, etc? This is an industry where things can get ugly if you make the wrong hire. One of my employees robbed a customer and I ended up getting sued for it. Not fun, but it's part of the game when you have a biz that requires employees to enter a client's home.

When I needed part time employees I found that the best ones were retired airline suitcase workers. They're reliable, work very hard(transporting suitcases all day is exhausting), and don't want a full-time income because they already have their pension. They just want some extra pocket money.

If you want to go the solo route but make more money, another option is to aggressively raise your prices. You have clients who are loyal to you regardless of price simply because you've earned their trust when entering their home.
Thank you for replying! Yes, I want to deal with real business problems like hiring and firing and organizing all the processes so the business can run without me working full time in it. When I hired my VA, it felt really good. It really motivated me to work harder because now I have a person who entirely depends on me to feed their kids and pay rent! Having more employees will motivate me even more.

My goal is to to have at least 2 crews working full time just like in your company by the end of next year. And then if the business can run without me, I will teach other people how to start a carpet cleaning business! Maybe even do it for them and only charge them when they make their first money. Just like Harmozi's gym launch, but carpet cleaning launch! I think I can scale that pretty good

If it wasn't for you and your threads, I would be still working at my low wage job with a 2 hour commute, so I'm forever grateful! And for MJ DeMarco, of course. And Johnyboy's thread was super helpful, too

Last edited:

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
But once you are in a business for some time you will figure out how to scale, hiring more staff or providing higher margin service for instance.
Yes, and provided you are consistently making good profits you could even consider franchising your business. Service businesses are very often franchised. The franchises amount to buying a job, but there are plenty of service franchise networks that have grown to be huge businesses.

In case you do think of doing it one day, to prepare for franchising you should already start writing down in detail every part of how the business operates.

See my thread:

Rapid Scaling a business by franchising

Walter

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Busiest week so far. I've made 3 times more money from this "side hustle" than from my full time job this week while working 9-5 and only having 1-2 carpet cleaning appointments per day in the evening. The only reason I haven't quit my job yet is that I don't know if there will be any demand in Jan and Feb.

I only use google ads for advertisement right now, manual CPC strategy, exact match keywords and getting around $10-20 per conversion. Maximize conversions with target CPA didn't work at all even though I had sufficient data for it to work. Local Google Ads didn't work as well, since the people who called were mostly price shoppers wanting to get 1 room done for $40 per call.

So if there's going to be enough demand I'll be able to easily make $1000 per day at some point next year and maybe even hire someone.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.