The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Astonishing Secrets" Thread

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,188%
Jun 8, 2010
California
What’s up guys. Some of you may remember me from my thread in which I thanked zen******* for dropping wisdom bombs all over the world. If you haven’t checked that thread out, please take a look at it and get moving with learning copywriting so you can learn how to print your own money(legally).

I’m starting this thread because Z told me to share the ice cream with others. I have mad respect for the guy so naturally it had to be done. By golly, all I used to have was a little pint of ice cream for myself and now I have an ice cream factory for everybody to eat from! There is a seat reserved for you at the table of abundance, but it’s up to you to work for it.

I will be explaining the secret Zen side of the Dolphin that he never speaks of, but has become glaringly obvious to those who study the WHY and HOW behind his posts.

But before I dive into giving you some ice cream, a little bit about myself…

27 years old. Was a wantrepreneur for a long time, but didn’t even know it. Yup, I ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Started a bunch of different businesses for all the wrong reasons so I ultimately failed at each one. A few years into it, I finally hit the bottom and got sick of the shit life I was living so I wrote into my journal and started reflecting. It went something like, “I’m tired of who I am. Tired of the life I’m living. Tired of seeing all my friends get ahead in their corporate job while I’m here trying to figure things out. Just sick of my life in general”. Bottom line, I was at my lowest point and the fire under my a$$ was burning so hot that I had no other choice but to take some dedicated immediate action to get real results…or risk being forever frustrated in the hamster wheel of the 9-5.

Studied zen*******’s posts very closely and began to read in between the lines of what he was saying. I wasn’t looking for business strategies. I wanted to know and understand the mindset behind the madman. Why was he doing X? How was he doing Y?

Started learning copy. I read some books and copied some sales letters by hand for a few months. My day looked something like this: Work the 9-5. Go home pissed as hell at my boss. Drink, write copy, drink, write copy, pass out drunk. Repeat for a long time until I got a good grasp of writing copy. I don’t recommend drinking to learn copy…ice cream seems to work pretty well too. Drinking is fun though…I’d rather burn as bright as a 1,000 watt bulb and burn out in 10-minutes than live life like a 10-watt bulb for the next 40 years.

Armed with my new knowledge of copy, I set forth to start a software business. While interviewing many different people in many different industries, I discovered a real need that couldn’t be solved online but could be taken care of offline…I prefer offline businesses anyway so I jumped into it head first. You can start an offline business faster because you don’t have to spend months on software development.

30 days later my sales were in the low 5-figure range. Let me tell you…when you go from making crap money and barely scraping to get by, to suddenly making 5-figures a month the feeling is sweeter than a gallon of ice cream.

That’s my story in a nutshell. I left out a lot of the details of the mental struggle: broken heart, angry parents, isolated friends, etc.

I will respectfully decline any requests to disclose what my business is. This forum was once a close knit group of homies, but with the success of MJ’s book there are now tons of new members and a few took the liberty of stealing from some of the greatest contributors here. The mindset is 80% of the game anyway and that’s what I’m trying to teach here.

On to the lessons…

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,188%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The greatest lesson of all...

LOVE THE HELL OUT OF OTHERS AND YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE ALL THE ICE CREAM YOU CAN EAT.

The hell? This is a @zen******* secret? It is, and let me prove to you why.

When you love others with a genuine heart, you become more present to their feelings which include their pains and needs. You approach them from the position of, “How can I improve this person’s life? How can I add value to this person’s life?” as opposed to, “Where can I get money? COME ON GIVE ME THE MONEY!”.

This is the mindset I see a lot of people have: “The XYZ market is a $50B market and is about to explode 30% within the next 2 years. I’m going to get into that and get a piece of the pie!”. The ice cream shop has the right to refuse service to anyone and does not serve those with that mindset. We only serve ice cream to those who love others and solve their pains. Well, maybe we’ll offer plain vanilla to the 99% who don’t.

Do you think someone will tell you their pains and needs if you genuinely show them that you want to help improve their lives? Or are they more likely to tell you their pains if you approach them from the angle of, “Hey would you buy this product from me? Come on, buy it!”

When you love the hell out of others, you begin building a brand with a noticeable heart. Customers WILL notice this and you will develop a loyal following. They will tell their friends and post it all over Facebook. You notice how In n’ Out Burger has a loyal following of fans? That’s because they show love for their employees and love for their customers by striving to always satisfy everyone’s needs. It’s a hamburger joint with a friggin’ culture. I love it. The employees are always joyful as hell. The company has HEART and SOUL. Compare that to the majority of other fast food joints who are just a cold cash taker.

Sometimes it’s not always about profit. Love others first and the ice cream will come.

I’ve never met zen******* in person but his whole vibe OOZES of love, heart, honor, and integrity. He wants to help you better your life. He doesn’t fear the success of those he mentors. I would trust that guy with a $100,000 personal loan. He obviously doesn’t need my money, but you get my point. I bet you a bunch of people bring him deals and opportunities to partner up simply because of his vibe of love and integrity.

Love others. Drop the greed because it will blind you to opportunities for more ice cream around you. When you harness this mindset for a long enough amount of time, you will see the abundance of possibilities and realize the ice cream is everywhere. Fear and scarcity WILL be replaced by confidence and abundance.

@JackEdwards wasn't lying when he said, "The moment you stop caring about money is the moment you start making money". Respect to you, good sir.

Last edited:

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
I smiled while reading ending of the first post.. It gives me hope because Im in very similar situation..

But then again, how can I solve someone's else problem if I cant deal with my own? For example If I found a need, and I wanted to sell software now, then I cant because I dont know how to code, I cant outsource it because I dont have money, Im stuck

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
But then again, how can I solve someone's else problem if I cant deal with my own? For example If I found a need, and I wanted to sell software now, then I cant because I dont know how to code, I cant outsource it because I dont have money, Im stuck
check how your [can't] self-talk affects your reality. Does it help inspire & motivate you or does it depress & demotivate you?
see this video and then delete "cant" from your vocabulary as a first essential step...
start moving from fear to this thread's lesson.

John didn't have money either, but it didn't stop him to eventually become a billionaire...

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome take ... if there was truly a "secret" to entrepreneurship, this is it. It's not about YOU -- it's about what YOU CAN DO for the market you serve. (And that starts with communication, or marketing -- the best product in the world is useless if you can't effectively communicate it's worth, value, and benefit to the end user.

Thanks for sharing my friend. You've been around here for while. :)

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,188%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I smiled while reading ending of the first post.. It gives me hope because Im in very similar situation..

My friend, what does the last sentence of my first post say and tell me how it resonates with you.

"The mindset is 80% of the game anyway and that’s what I’m trying to teach here."

You have a little voice in the back of your mind telling you you're not good enough. Don't worry, we all have that little voice. The only difference between you and me is that I like ice cream a lot so I spent a lot of time figuring out how to conquer the little voice.

You don't need to be smart to get ice cream.
You don't need to have a network of wealthy friends to get ice cream.
You don't need to be tall and handsome to get ice cream.
You don't need to be a superhero to get ice cream.

You just need to be clever and creative.

Have you read JackEdwards story? The one about how he saved his mom and made millions in his 20's? Dude, the guy overcame some crazy odds and came out on top. Amazing. He has lots of ice cream now. And Cigars.

In the ice cream shop, we don't allow the little voice to tell us what we can't do. When there are bullies and tables blocking the path to the ice cream, we figure out clever ways around the obstacles so that we can get to the ice cream faster.

Expand your mind. Shift your mindset. The ice cream will come and you can celebrate with us in the ice cream shop. There's plenty to go around for all of us.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great that you posted this ! I hope many take it to heart.

Quick story..not revealing the product. I just started selling door to door (no, not F.L. but I NEED $) soooo...I did really shitty at first. I had no 'game'...I was like "hey, I'm selling bla bla bla and running a special"...(sound of doors closing).

After a while I quit....went home and thought.

I realized I wasn't selling this 'thing'...I was providing an opportunity to improve a family's safety at home. I sincerely want them to be safe. I went back out (-12 degree windchill thinking NO ONE will open their door).....and people were happy to pay for what I offered.

The cool thing is that besides making $...I feel good about it, which in a way, trumps the money.

PrideOfAccra

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 19, 2014
The greatest lesson of all...

LOVE THE HELL OUT OF OTHERS AND YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE ALL THE ICE CREAM YOU CAN EAT.

The hell? This is a @zen******* secret? It is, and let me prove to you why.

When you love others with a genuine heart, you become more present to their feelings which include their pains and needs. You approach them from the position of, “How can I improve this person’s life? How can I add value to this person’s life?” as opposed to, “Where can I get money? COME ON GIVE ME THE MONEY!”.

This is the mindset I see a lot of people have: “The XYZ market is a $50B market and is about to explode 30% within the next 2 years. I’m going to get into that and get a piece of the pie!”. The ice cream shop has the right to refuse service to anyone and does not serve those with that mindset. We only serve ice cream to those who love others and solve their pains. Well, maybe we’ll offer plain vanilla to the 99% who don’t.

Do you think someone will tell you their pains and needs if you genuinely show them that you want to help improve their lives? Or are they more likely to tell you their pains if you approach them from the angle of, “Hey would you buy this product from me? Come on, buy it!”

When you love the hell out of others, you begin building a brand with a noticeable heart. Customers WILL notice this and you will develop a loyal following. They will tell their friends and post it all over Facebook. You notice how In n’ Out Burger has a loyal following of fans? That’s because they show love for their employees and love for their customers by striving to always satisfy everyone’s needs. It’s a hamburger joint with a friggin’ culture. I love it. The employees are always joyful as hell. The company has HEART and SOUL. Compare that to the majority of other fast food joints who are just a cold cash taker.

Sometimes it’s not always about profit. Love others first and the ice cream will come.

I’ve never met zen******* in person but his whole vibe OOZES of love, heart, honor, and integrity. He wants to help you better your life. He doesn’t fear the success of those he mentors. I would trust that guy with a $100,000 personal loan. He obviously doesn’t need my money, but you get my point. I bet you a bunch of people bring him deals and opportunities to partner up simply because of his vibe of love and integrity.

Love others. Drop the greed because it will blind you to opportunities for more ice cream around you. When you harness this mindset for a long enough amount of time, you will see the abundance of possibilities and realize the ice cream is everywhere. Fear and scarcity WILL be replaced by confidence and abundance.

@JackEdwards wasn't lying when he said, "The moment you stop caring about money is the moment you start making money". Respect to you, good sir.
You dropped some really good gems in your post. I believe love is a solid foundation Entrepreneurship and building a long lasting business. Reading MJ's book taught me that a business that looks to solve a problem and improve current services will last a long time, relating to people and understanding their problems is easier when one has a good heart. Great Post!

G

GuestUserX15

Hey rogen, in today's world there really is no good answer for not knowing what to do! (i learned that the hard way). If you don't have money find a local programmer (at events and such) or post a local classified ad and bring on board the programmer as a partner in your business. Make sure you do your due diligence and have a contract between the two. P.s you don't have to learn to code, but should have an understanding of how what works, there are many free websites offering free courses.
The best way is to find someone your own age group who can teach and help you with programming and in return you can offer them something of value. win win situation and in the end you have a valuable relationship.

Hope this helps!

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

I can't I can't I can't I can't.
What a whiner.

There are at least three solutions to your situation.

. learn how to code.
. learn another skill that you can use to create value.
. outsource coding on a profit sharing basis.

There. That took me 2 minutes. I bet others can think of 12 other solutions in a few hours time.

Oven

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 31, 2013
There. That took me 2 minutes. I bet others can think of 12 other solutions in a few hours time.
- Convince people to pre-order your product and use the money to build it
- Find someone to invest into your product and build it
- Make a Kickstarter
- Ask all your friends see if someone knows how to code or knows someone that does and partner with them
- Find a new product
- Save up the money from your current job
- Ask Family/Friends for money (could be risky if your product doesn't work)
- Work a second job until you have enough money
- Take a loan from the bank (could be risky if your product doesn't work)
- Sell your things
- Cancel your Tv plan and downgrade your phone plan and other recurring costs until you have the money
- Trade one of your skills with a coder in exchange for theres

Took me like 5 minutes, it's easy to find excuses if that's what you're looking for. Not all these solutions are necessarily good but all are totally plausible and if you spend some more time thinking about it I bet you could come up with even more.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
This reminds me a LOT of a short but great book I've read many times, the Go-Giver
never heard about this book before. Yet, to my surprise it seems to have only 4 and 5 star reviews everywhere. Added to my book list!

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,188%
Jun 8, 2010
California
You’re at a huge high school reunion and 500 students are attending. You chat it up with as many former classmates as you can in order to sell products from your custom t-shirt company. You get TONS of people smiling at you saying, “Yes! I love your idea! I’ll buy one of your custom t-shirts! Just let me know when you got them made and I’ll buy one”. 200 people have given you their support that they will buy. Great!

It’s time to end the reunion so you proceed to walk home because you’re drunk as hell. Everyone waves you goodbye and give you their support, leaving you with visions of Aston Martins and 3 mistresses in your future (reverse the situation for the woman entrepreneurs please!)

You are sitting there with thoughts of a wonderous profit, leaping for joy while all the neighbors are calling the police because of your disturbance of the peace. You start calculating in your head how much money you’re going to make. Sweet!

You spend $2,000 to have all of the custom t-shirts created when suddenly reality brings you down to Earth with a horrible crashing blow! As you call your former classmates to tell them that their t-shirts are ready, 90% of them give you a lame excuse for why they can’t buy anymore.

“I’m out of town.”

“I can’t afford it right now.”

“Call me back later.”

You begin to realize that everyone was full of shit and nobody was true to their word. Damn. Now you’re stuck with $2,000 worth of t-shirts that say “Hardknock University Class of 1971” on the back. It was an expensive lesson, but oh well…you’ll fail better next time.

At the ice cream shop, we accept that failure is part of the process. There is no shortcut. Shoot, we embrace failure because we learn so much from it. Keep failing, guys. The ice cream is abundant for the kings of failure.

A friend or family member saying “that’s great, I’ll buy it!” is very different from a stranger saying “that’s great, let me give you my credit card right now!”.

Get a customer ASAP. Pre-sales are even better.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
This is the mindset I see a lot of people have: “The XYZ market is a $50B market and is about to explode 30% within the next 2 years. I’m going to get into that and get a piece of the pie!”.
You're probably referring to me in the conversation we had the other day. I don't take offense to that, I was thinking about it the wrong way. Thinking about a LOT of things the wrong way actually... You suggested a book on copy, which I immediately bought and am about half way through reading right now...

It's amazing how literally everything looks completely different when you look at things from a giving point of view. Like someone flipped on a black light in a hotel room and all the love stains are opportunities you couldn't see before because your brain was clouded with dollar signs. I am the first to admit, this was (and still somewhat is) me. But I'm learning to get passed that.

The things MJ in his book (and a lot of people on this forum @zen******* @JackEdwards @ryanv408) make a lot more sense when you look at it this way, and I feel like they truly mean something deeper as compared to what most people probably see as business advice.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,188%
Jun 8, 2010
California
You're probably referring to me in the conversation we had the other day.

Nahhh I wasn't specifically referring to you, my brother! I see the mindset everywhere. There was one just yesterday where a guy was talking about jumping into the marijuana industry because it's about to grow 20% this year. It's also in the threads titled "I will make $1M in the next 12 months, just watch me".

We don't hate in the ice cream shop. It's all about sharing the love around here cuz there's enough to go around!

The things MJ in his book (and a lot of people on this forum @zen******* @JackEdwards @ryanv408) make a lot more sense when you look at it this way, and I feel like they truly mean something deeper as compared to what most people probably see as business advice.

Dude, YES. There is something huge hidden deeper than just what you see on the surface. Listen, I used to pay huge money just to see great entrepreneurs give speeches in person. Why did I do that? Their energy. The movers and shakers have a certain energy about how they do things that I cannot explain in words. They're switched on, they're alive, they have an unmistakable fire in their eyes and pep in their step. After a while, you absorb that similar energy and it becomes part of your subconscious. This is the Zen side to the stuff. I struggle to put it into words, but I try.

You will get the ice cream soon, my friend. And we will proceed to get drunk, sing, dance, and break things.

Ajita

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 17, 2013
Florida
Thanks for sharing this lesson. I have been finding it heartening to see so many posts on this forum about how the core nature of an entrepreneur should be of positive qualities and good will unto others. There are a lot of people who have strong negative stereotype baggage about businessmen all being crooked.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

At Capitalism and Bacon (the event in Albuquerque), Z said that 'cash is the lowest common denominator'. You don't need cash to provide value. You don't need to give equity to provide value. You just gotta be a little creative, and the creativity part is where most people stop.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,188%
Jun 8, 2010
California
At Capitalism and Bacon (the event in Albuquerque), Z said that 'cash is the lowest common denominator'. You don't need cash to provide value. You don't need to give equity to provide value. You just gotta be a little creative, and the creativity part is where most people stop.
THIS. This guy gets it. The creativity is where most people give up.

This is why the whole theme to my posts is ice cream. There is a method to my madness. Who are the most creative people in the world? Children. Stay childlike, my friends. Get the ice cream. And stay drunk.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.