The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I go into Web designing or copywriting?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
How do I learn to be a better problem solver tho
Well... Do you have problems?

The problem I am facing is always thinking about the goal...
Well, its because........ I'm broke
Yup, you do.

Practice by solving your own problems. Pretty soon you'll figure out how to solve a problem that other people will pay you to solve.

Lex, Fox and Andy all had the problem of being broke once upon a time. They solved it. And now they teach others the skills they used to solve it...

And you can too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
It doesn't matter. Pick one and STICK WITH IT.

I decided to learn copywriting as a college kid in 2015 inspired by Lex's thread. Re-read the thread, read other copy books, articles but didn't do jack shit. Why? Because I felt resistance or 'obstacle', as you call it. I was dabbling. Then, I gave up.

2 years later, inspired by Fox's thread, I decided to learn web design. Signed up on codeacademy and half-assed with HTML. 10 days later I quit when I felt resistance/obstacle. I gave up.

I repeated this cycle almost 7 years.

Deciding to learn copy, quitting on the first instance of obstacle.
Deciding to learn web design, quitting on the first instance of obstacle.

In all these 7 years, I neither learned copy nor web design and am still the same person as I was 7 years ago.

If I had actually stuck with one of those instead of giving up easily, my life would have been 10X better.

So, pick one and STICK WITH IT.

Both are high value, money making skills. There are stories in this forum where people learned programming and quadrupled there income. They are on the path to creating their own software business. Same goes for copy.

You will definitely feel resistance or face an obstacle. It won't go away. When you feel it, take a break, go out, get some air, go for a walk and come back. Repeat this. This is what I am doing now and it helps.

And, no matter what you pick, don't think of yourself as a web designer or copywriter. Rather, think yourself as a problem solver.

You are a problem solver using code/copy to solve a business problem (increase revenue or reduce cost). This is who you are, a problem solver. When you adopt this mindset, no AI can replace you.

I recommend giving this a read: GOLD! - MINDSET - Save Yourself Years Of Frustration; It Worked For Me!
Fantastic post! Thanks for sharing.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Hey guys, I decided to go into web development but completely forgot the kind of PC I have.

Node.js no longer supports it so I can't use javascript frameworks like React, it lags a lot, creating a web design on figma makes it lag even more. Python works but some libraries I need for web scraping like selenium don't....

Won't be surprised if ruby on rails doesn't work too at this point.

This PC has probably ruined every idea I had.

I was told its not meant for those kind of tasks. So I want to go into copywriting and get enough money to buy a new pc.

What do you all think?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey guys, I decided to go into web development but completely forgot the kind of PC I have.

Node.js no longer supports it so I can't use javascript frameworks like React, it lags a lot, creating a web design on figma makes it lag even more. Python works but some libraries I need for web scraping like selenium don't....

I was told its not meant for those kind of tasks. So I want to go into copywriting and get enough money to buy a new pc.

What do you all think?
How about get a job and buy a new PC...because as it stands, I predict you will earn exactly $0 with copywriting within the next 10 years.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm underage
Then you should mow lawns for cash because you aren't going to make any money copywriting or designing websites when nobody can pay you...

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Then you should mow lawns for cash because you aren't going to make any money copywriting or designing websites when nobody can pay you...
Ok, there are some things I should have added.

I'm underage but in a few days I will be 18 so I can get an account.

I don't know any job that can possibly earn enough money to buy a good PC.

I live in Nigeria and no one will hire teenagers to mow lawns.

I text this in a hurry so I hope I don't sound too negative

Last edited:

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
With copywriting you don't need to constantly be aware of all the new tools, security issues, Google changes, software subscriptions and so on.

Feliponius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 31, 2022
Thanks :) . I know what I will do now. How do I learn to be a better problem solver tho
Solve problems...or more accurately, fail to solve a problem over and over and over and over again. Until one day you actually solve one.

Reminds me of the ol' Edison example with him and the lightbulb. Trial and error and countless failure until finally he nailed it.

The key? Persistence. How do you get that? Now THATS the question.

Feliponius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 31, 2022
This calls back to the first sign of resistance problem you were talking about in your initial post. Going back and forth as soon as you hit a wall.

Here's your first problem to solve!

Need a PC that allows you to do programming. Now find out what you need to do to get into the bare minimum of slightly better and do it. You could probably solve your problem for less than $100. Lord knows you won't be programming Jack all if you can't figure out how to scrape a computer together.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

What do you all think?
Can you develop Wix or Squarespace sites? Unbounce, LeadPages or Cardd.co landing pages? They're all in the cloud and you maybe don't need a fast PC. Maybe there's other cloud services people pay for that would be willing to pay other people to setup for them? ActiveCampaign, ConvertKit, ClickFunnels, etc?

I often work on one of the kids i3 laptops when setting up or optimising Google Ads campaigns for clients. Google Ads is in the cloud. I don't need a fast computer except for when I'm editing videos...

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Ok, there are some things I should have added.

I'm underage but in a few days I will be 18 so I can get an account.

I don't know any job that can possibly earn enough money to buy a good PC.

I live in Nigeria and no one will hire teenagers to mow lawns.

I text this in a hurry so I hope I don't sound too negative
I think I was being too negative. I researched and there are some jobs I could do like barbing, tailoring or phone repairing but will require me to save a lot. Thanks for the advice @Lex DeVille

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Need a PC that allows you to do programming. Now find out what you need to do to get into the bare minimum of slightly better and do it. You could probably solve your problem for less than $100. Lord knows you won't be programming Jack all if you can't figure out how to scrape a computer together.
Never thought of doing this. Thanks. Just wonder if it will be possible to turn a 32 bit laptop to 64 bit cuz that's one of the main problem.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Can you develop Wix or Squarespace sites? Unbounce, LeadPages or Cardd.co landing pages? They're all in the cloud and you maybe don't need a fast PC. Maybe there's other cloud services people pay for that would be willing to pay other people to setup for them? ActiveCampaign, ConvertKit, ClickFunnels, etc?

I often work on one of the kids i3 laptops when setting up or optimising Google Ads campaigns for clients. Google Ads is in the cloud. I don't need a fast computer except for when I'm editing videos...
I haven't use them before. I will check on it

JJ24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 30, 2022
I am having a hard time picking which one to go with.

Any time I face some obstacle, I fall back to the next one. But now I want to stick to one.

So which one would be the best to enter into?
What if you focus on closing sales and partner with a web designer or copywriter to fulfill the orders?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
F*ck. Then the only option is too buy a new one.
It's cheaper if you buy some used desktop parts and assemble them together.

Mike05

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 28, 2022
Toronto, Canada
What you pick isn't the real challenge. You can make money(but really should be thinking of how to provide value/slove problems) with either of those. As you can with ecommerce, as you can with video editing.

The real challenge is picking one, failing, losing money, and failing again and again and again until you hit. MTFs avatar represents 80% of people perfectly.
5905.jpg

I too gave up over and over again on things. Including my hobbies. Now I look back 4 years and know for a fact if I even worked on it 20% consistently it would have taken off.

Best way I can explain this is it's like getting married. You're gonna get bored and its mostly gonna suck. But unlike marriage you are guaranteed happiness at the end if you keep at it, and it only gets better as time goes on.

Edit: Lex & Fox respectively teach these two extensively. And from watching/researching both either way it is going to be a lot of work. Like a lot of work. Id say be prepared to spend a year on this before seeing any life changing results.
Thanks for sharing! Great insight

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Clinton7 ...

1) Consider product-founder fit.

What can YOU launch and make a sale at this week?

If it needs equipment you can't get hold of this week then consider something else.

2) Remember that "The market doesn't pay for input." (Blaise Brosnan)

Who can you invoice because you're building yourself a new PC? No-one... the market doesn't know or care.

If you can get it built in a few days and then start helping people with it then great. Otherwise consider if building a PC is the right thing to do at this stage.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
1) Consider product-founder fit. What can YOU launch and make a sale at this week? If it needs equipment you can't get hold of this week then consider something else.
I could sell my game cd.

2) Remember that "The market doesn't page for input." (Blaise Brosnan) Who can you invoice because you're building yourself a new PC? No-one... the market doesn't know or care. If you can get it built in a few days and then start helping people with it then great. Otherwise consider if building a PC is the right thing to do at this stage.
I won't build. It will be better to get a new one. What do you think I should pursue rn to get me enough money to buy one?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What do you think I should pursue rn to get me enough money to buy one?
Something that doesn't require a fast PC. Which brings me back to the original point of finding something that doesn't require a fast PC.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.