The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

School as a business!

Fomo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 20, 2021
Bamenda, Northwest, cameroon
I wanted to become a software engineer. But fortunately for me i started learning to code as early as 14. I'm fully self taught and took a few courses online. While in school i noticed a lot of students complain and hate school, why? I certainly don't have the answers.

I noticed students love when it's Friday, public holidays, social week in school and days when a teacher misses a class. I live in a place affected by war and students sometimes wish there were gunshots.

I know this is a potential area to skew value make money but still make learning fun and more valuable. I've always admired what educational institutions like fullsail.edu University, edureka.co, and a few other platforms do with learning and teaching.

My goal is to replicate what Full-Sail University does and even do it better. But have very little knowledge, what it takes to setup and run a school.

What's your advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nick perry01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Apr 6, 2020
Bates City, Missouri
I wanted to become a software engineer. But fortunately for me i started learning to code as early as 14. I'm fully self taught and took a few courses online. While in school i noticed a lot of students complain and hate school, why? I certainly don't have the answers.

I noticed students love when it's Friday, public holidays, social week in school and days when a teacher misses a class. I live in a place affected by war and students sometimes wish there were gunshots.

I know this is a potential area to skew value make money but still make learning fun and more valuable. I've always admired what educational institutions like fullsail.edu University, edureka.co, and a few other platforms do with learning and teaching.

My goal is to replicate what Full-Sail University does and even do it better. But have very little knowledge, what it takes to setup and run a school.

What's your advice
I think its a great concept

But the firstquestion that has to arise is: What will you do differently then platforms like udemy, khanAcademy, and the million other learning platforms

The second question is: How will you deliever your idea into the CENTS framework
If you've never read Unscripted , here's what CENTS stands for

THE COMMANDMENT OF CONTROL
This says you must have control over the platform on which you do your businesss or that youbusiness must be part of a website or a website that you control

THE COMMANDMENT OF ENTRY
This stats that there must must be so easy that everyonee can do it, so it means there's more eyes towards your business

THE COMANDMENT OF NEED
Is this something people need? In my eyes, yes because in entreprenership and everything else, knowledge is power

THE COMMANDMENT OF TIME
Will this be a buisness that takes all of your time, or will it work when your not work?

THE COMMANDMENT OF SCALE
Cann you expand thiis business idea?

If you would like help with anything(Im good at making websites) dont hesitat to ask

Last edited:

Fomo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 20, 2021
T
I think its a great concept

But the firstquestion that has to arise is: What will you do differently then platforms like udemy, khanAcademy, and the million other learning platforms

The second question is: How will you deliever your idea into the CENTS framework
If you've never read Unscripted , here's what CENTS stands for

THE COMMANDMENT OF CONTROL
This says you must have control over the platform on which you do your businesss or that youbusiness must be part of a website or a website that you control

THE COMMANDMENT OF ENTRY
This stats that there must must be so easy that everyonee can do it, so it means there's more eyes towards your business
Thank you Nick. I like how you put it. "What will you do differently ". Looking at things from that standpoint it will be more of improving customer experience, both on students and teachers side.
  • Building interactive learning tribes and communities rather than classrooms
  • Changing the way students are assed
  • Giving students control just enough to make them feel their part the decision making system
  • Brining the school online and making it accessible to the whole market etc
CENTS is going to more of a long term goal. It'sharder to figure out all value skews at the start. But getting the most likely ones is important and also other people's opinions on the subject from different parts of the globe.

Awaken Study

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2020

What's your advice?
I saw this article showing 41% of students received less than 1.0 GPA in Baltimore. It shows a change is definitely needed.

They spend $18,000 a year per student. That's what college costs!

It would be cool if you could combine high school with college. What ages are you targeting?

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
I saw this article showing 41% of students received less than 1.0 GPA in Baltimore. It shows a change is definitely needed.
There's definitely huge opportunity. Most of which would come from observing what these kids need rather than force feeding the same old useless material.

The fact is that every adult involved is somewhere between negligent and malicious towards the kids involved. That's the only logical conclusion why they'd keep repeating the same old failed regime on them. Doing better than them just means actually caring about the kids futures.

That starts with a research question, "in this community, given its cultural and socioeconomic attributes, what is the most reasonable path to success for (a) the average student, and (b) each student specifically given their personal attributes".

You then work out the most efficient straight line path to that for them, and execute it competently.

The last thing these kids need is hearing blather about maths, chemistry, geography, history etc. That's basically abuse. They need a vision of a bright future and the skills to get there.

Fomo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 20, 2021

It would be cool if you could combine high school with college. What ages are you targeting?

I don't have a defined age boundary. My goal is to make high quality education much more valuable than the traditional old school, accessible to everyone and anyone.
But for a start targeting high school and college students is a great move.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There's definitely huge opportunity. Most of which would come from observing what these kids need rather than force feeding the same old useless material.

The fact is that every adult involved is somewhere between negligent and malicious towards the kids involved. That's the only logical conclusion why they'd keep repeating the same old failed regime on them. Doing better than them just means actually caring about the kids futures.

That starts with a research question, "in this community, given its cultural and socioeconomic attributes, what is the most reasonable path to success for (a) the average student, and (b) each student specifically given their personal attributes".

You then work out the most efficient straight line path to that for them, and execute it competently.

The last thing these kids need is hearing blather about maths, chemistry, geography, history etc. That's basically abuse. They need a vision of a bright future and the skills to get there.
You never know what influence you will have when you educate or who you will touch. My many educational experiences have given to me in ways I never thought possible. Like:

I never thought I would use algebra and I became a commercial appraiser -- which is heavy with math.

I never thought I'd use all those advertising concepts and marketing techniques I learned during earning both of my merchandising degrees. I still do all my own advertising layouts for my businesses. And I really understand how people's eyes track when they read my copy.

I never thought I'd use the legal concepts I learned in law school. I daily use that legal index I have between my ears.

And that’s only the beginning.

Your thought is noble. How are you going to make it happen?

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
I never thought I would use algebra and I became a commercial appraiser -- which is heavy with math.
The issue is more the cost efficiency. If only 10% of the learning hours end up in real world application, which I'd say its roughly at, that's mindboggling losses. Contrast that with everything else that isn't known from school, so called on the job learning, where the efficiency is maximal. Just-in-time learning.

There's certainly some value to having knowledge ready to go in advance of unknown need, but not when it costs that much.

Your thought is noble. How are you going to make it happen?
Starting with research. The key thing with this topic is not to indulge in an illusion that only I have had these thoughts.

The problems are so stark that undoubtedly others have made attempts at ameliorating the situation, but none have yet to break through, so it will need a good understanding of what has been tried first.

Tech will no doubt be leveraged in whatever the breakthrough solution will be, but from my research so far, mostly its been used to alter the delivery mechanism of the existing inefficient or irrelevant material, as opposed to say allowing a superior form of education that was known about but not deliverable with existing resources and technology at the time.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
The issue is more the cost efficiency. If only 10% of the learning hours end up in real world application, which I'd say its roughly at, that's mindboggling losses. Contrast that with everything else that isn't known from school, so called on the job learning, where the efficiency is maximal. Just-in-time learning.

There's certainly some value to having knowledge ready to go in advance of unknown need, but not when it costs that much.

Starting with research. The key thing with this topic is not to indulge in an illusion that only I have had these thoughts.

The problems are so stark that undoubtedly others have made attempts at ameliorating the situation, but none have yet to break through, so it will need a good understanding of what has been tried first.

Tech will no doubt be leveraged in whatever the breakthrough solution will be, but from my research so far, mostly its been used to alter the delivery mechanism of the existing inefficient or irrelevant material, as opposed to say allowing a superior form of education that was known about but not deliverable with existing resources and technology at the time.
You have a great idea. As a user of raw data, I am buried under the avalanche. I pay someone to sort through my data before I do my research. It saves me 10 to 20 hours per week. My assistant's time is surely a bargain! Can you do it cheaper and better with technology?

Fomo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 20, 2021
Great ideas there. I appreciate all the feedback

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.