The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Yesterday I got my BJJ blue belt. Given I started 3 and a half years ago, you may think I've been pretty slow, especially being dedicated (on average it takes something like a year and a half to get to the blue belt). But here is what happened along the way:
  • I've been out several times for around 9 months total (back and wrist injury)
  • They closed our gym, to keep us safe of course, tried to lock us down, and my teacher went to the military which means the academy disappeared (I live in a small town where no one knows what BJJ is and he was the only one teaching it)
  • A small group of us managed to keep training, for almost a year, in one of the guy's basement, one thankfully being a soon-to-be-black brown belt.
  • We are now back to a real gym with a healthy number of people and the academy exists again.
I take this as another good lesson that applies to life and business: have a plan, but know there will be bumps along the way. Persevere, find a way, focus on the process, and you'll eventually make it.

It is only the beginning.

Have a great day everyone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If your first interaction with me is a deceptive marketing tactic, you can forget about me being a customer.

Popup: Join our mailing list and get 20% off your first order!

So I reluctantly give them my email.

The next screen then prompts me to add my cell phone # and opt into marketing messages in order to get the 20%.... no 20% off code anywhere to be found despite adding my email.

FU. And good bye.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
For those who need to hear a positive message today.

The world today is burning in a fire.

But your dreams will make it a better place tomorrow. Dream big and then bigger.

Because …

90209138-F7A0-4202-B766-91449E3949B5.jpeg

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
Do you believe in the idea that if you didn't get what you wanted (assuming you put in the work), something better is coming your way?

or

is that hopium?

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Do you believe in the idea that if you didn't get what you wanted (assuming you put in the work), something better is coming your way?

or

is that hopium?
This sounds strange to me, like there's a "force of fairness" working in your favor. Rather than that, I think there are so many opportunities passing us by at any given moment, that if you miss one, you just need to catch the next one. Or take the bit that you got from the "missed" opportunity and work it into the next thing.

If I didn't think that way, I would tend to panic over every supposed opportunity, as if it's the last rare chance to make it big. It never is, and believing it is makes people anxious and easy to scam. At the same time, thinking something "better" is coming to balance a previous shortfall does seem like a bit too much of a Pollyanna point of view. It would tend to suppress purposeful effort and adaptation to adversity I think.

So... no, I don't believe that "if I didn't get what I wanted (assuming I put in the work), something better is coming my way," exactly. Instead I think that (a) not getting what I want after putting in work, and (b) things coming my way (good or bad or better or worse), are not dependent on each other. And that the main determinant of whether something turns out well, is ultimately my ability to first recognize the opportunity and then apply skills and experience to make it work for me.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've officially migrated my domains away from Siteground to Namecheap.com. The difference is $18 per year per domain down to around $8 per year (and no upcharge for domain privacy!). I'm still using Siteground for hosting for now, but will look into moving my hosting as well. Siteground's business practices have turned to total shit over the last several years and I'm sick of it. Time to make good on my threats of leaving.
I've always used namecheap for domains and siteground for hosting but haven't had to do much with them in the last few years. Sitegrounds renewal prices are huge now though.

What other issues have you had with them? What a shame, they were so good a few years back.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've always used namecheap for domains and siteground for hosting but haven't had to do much with them in the last few years. Sitegrounds renewal prices are huge now though.

What other issues have you had with them? What a shame, they were so good a few years back.

The problems started when they moved away from C-Panel to self-hosted systems. They ditched familiarity, and made everything hard to find and manage. Nothing is contained in one location. Everything takes 10 clicks before you get where you're going.

File manager no longer allows you to choose the domain folder you want to work on within the system. Now you have to individually navigate through multiple pages of Siteground's site to manage any single domain/website.

They also added a ton of unnecessary hoops to jump through before you can take important actions.

For instance, if you want to turn off auto-renew for a single domain, you have to navigate through multiple clicks and pages for every domain and turn them off one at a time. This used to be completely managed from a single page for ALL domains and you could turn auto-renew off quickly and easily.

They also (as I recently discovered) made it so domain privacy auto-renews EVEN IF you don't renew the domain... AND you have to turn this feature off one at a time for each domain in addition to separately turning off auto-renew for the domain itself, AND they hid the feature under a tiny 3 dot menu that you would never think to look for (just as I didn't) because why the F*ck would I renew privacy on a domain that I no longer own?!

And of course, there are the ridiculous prices for domains, privacy upcharges, etc.

These are just a few of their shitty practices...

Either Siteground made these changes on purpose to try and siphon more money from their customers (this is what I think) or they are incredibly incompetent, in which case I shouldn't put my business in their hands.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
The problems started when they moved away from C-Panel to self-hosted systems. They ditched familiarity, and made everything hard to find and manage. Nothing is contained in one location. Everything takes 10 clicks before you get where you're going.

File manager no longer allows you to choose the domain folder you want to work on within the system. Now you have to individually navigate through multiple pages of Siteground's site to manage any single domain/website.

They also added a ton of unnecessary hoops to jump through before you can take important actions.

For instance, if you want to turn off auto-renew for a single domain, you have to navigate through multiple clicks and pages for every domain and turn them off one at a time. This used to be completely managed from a single page for ALL domains and you could turn auto-renew off quickly and easily.

They also (as I recently discovered) made it so domain privacy auto-renews EVEN IF you don't renew the domain... AND you have to turn this feature off one at a time for each domain in addition to separately turning off auto-renew for the domain itself, AND they hid the feature under a tiny 3 dot menu that you would never think to look for (just as I didn't) because why the f*ck would I renew privacy on a domain that I no longer own?!

And of course, there are the ridiculous prices for domains, privacy upcharges, etc.

Either Siteground made these changes on purpose to try and siphon more money from their customers (this is what I think) or they are incredibly incompetent, in which case I shouldn't put my business in their hands.
What a shame. Their support was great back only a few years ago too.

It's definitely intentional.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

They also (as I recently discovered) made it so domain privacy auto-renews EVEN IF you don't renew the domain... AND you have to turn this feature off one at a time for each domain in addition to separately turning off auto-renew for the domain itself, AND they hid the feature under a tiny 3 dot menu that you would never think to look for (just as I didn't) because why the f*ck would I renew privacy on a domain that I no longer own?!

I guarantee this is intentional. Just like it is impossible to talk to a human being at Facebook or Google. You simply aren't important and have to take whatever beating they give you.... or leave. Congrats on leaving.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think there are so many opportunities passing us by at any given moment, that if you miss one, you just need to catch the next one.
Many think opportunity knocks just once and they have to grab on for dear life when it does.

I believe opportunity knocks like a drumroll on our door. We just have to be tuned to hear it.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Many think opportunity knocks just once and they have to grab on for dear life when it does.

I believe opportunity knocks like a drumroll on our door. We just have to be tuned to hear it.
Opportunity is everywhere. Some opportunities take tremendous time and effort just to get set up to deliver on, though!

That's Entry.

(I actually just signed a contract on a rental property today - entry on that was pretty low, not what I was referring to)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

What a fascinating topic.

We all come across opportunities in life. Some are easier to spot than others and some seem too good to be true. But what separates the successful from the unsuccessful is not whether or not they take advantage of opportunity, it's how well they capitalize on opportunity when it knocks.

Successful people don't necessarily have more opportunities presented to them, they just make better use of the ones that come their way. They're not afraid to take a chance and they know that not all opportunities are created equal.

Some opportunities are more time-sensitive than others and if you wait too long, you might miss your chance. Other opportunities might only come around once, so you have to be ready to capitalize on them when they do.

The key is not to be afraid to try and to be ready to act when opportunity knocks. You never know when the next opportunity is going to come around, so you have to be prepared to take advantage of it when it does. And like compound interest, the more opportunities you stack up, the more successful you're going to be.

I suggest, don't be afraid to take a chance and don't miss your chance when opportunity comes knocking. The "great" next opportunity might not come around again for a long time.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Opportunity is everywhere. Some opportunities take tremendous time and effort just to get set up to deliver on, though!

That's Entry.

(I actually just signed a contract on a rental property today - entry on that was pretty low, not what I was referring to)
So for example,

There was a big opportunity to export LNG from Texas. I know of a guy who somehow created a massive company doing this on the gulf coast. Built out a couple facilities at ports. We're talking hundreds of millions if not billions, tons of employees, hard hats, OSHA, environmental hurdles, international barges and shipping, major security clearances and danger from all the explosives...

That is barrier to entry.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Fuel now $2 a litre in my home town.

I have never seen fuel this high. It will get worse as well.

View attachment 42406
just converted this to $/gallons, and wow, I feel like it's cheap here now, lol!

Sorry to hear this. Yours is about double ours (Texas), and ours is the highest it's been in awhile, somewhere in the $3/gallon range.

edit: I converted units but not currencies. It's still more expensive, but not quite double (a bit shy of double)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Yup. Don’t like Teslas. They are overpriced Hondas. Model 3 = Civic. Model X = Minivan.
Come on now, an X is a bit nicer than a minivan!

Get that A plaid edition. That goes from 0-250km/hr in what looks like almost instantly. It's unreal. It pretty much matches a Bugatti Chiron to that speed.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Yup. Don’t like Teslas. They are overpriced Hondas. Model 3 = Civic. Model X = Minivan.
This is spot on lol

When they first came out I was like... everyone is this excited for a boring old sedan? Because you plug it into the wall??

Granted, the self driving is cool. But not 100% set and forget.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Come on now, an X is a bit nicer than a minivan!

Get that A plaid edition. That goes from 0-250km/hr in what looks like almost instantly. It's unreal. It pretty much matches a Bugatti Chiron to that speed.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks @GPM ... Model X = Fast Minivan.

Still a minivan.

With a broken steering wheel because Elon was feeling cheap and didn't want to pay for the full circle? TWF is that thing? Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.47.06 PM.png

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
Literally this.

Just before I deleted FB a girl I grew up with and follow but was not friends with was doing the whole BLM profile pic thing.
The interesting thing about her is she's been privately racist for 19 years, one of the contributing factors for the defriending a while back. I then checked everyone else I knew who was racist or at least made questionable remarks and sure enough, most of them, were doing their black profile pic duty. People who had never even thought about racial inequality their entire lives were suddenly virtue signalling it en masse.
EwJYHbV.jpg

It's quite annoying having zero social media, because everyone uses it for everything. No more forums for area events, it's all FB groups. I'm only on here and Reddit now. Some of the threads on here in off topic remind me of why I quit FB too (the war thread).

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
There’s an app called #blockit

You delete Facebook and Instagram from your phone, and access them on safari.

The app lets you block certain features.

That way you can still use groups on Facebook and dm on Instagram, without getting sucked into the feed and explore pages.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.