The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not passionate about a specific industrie, but passionate about making an Impact.

Anything related to matters of the mind

NicoleAnne

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Feb 1, 2020
Germany
I am at the idea-finding-stage.

Since reading the book Unscripted , I see more and more opportunities.

Some I get more excited about, others less.

I found that the bigger the impact of those ideas, the more they would excite me and the more I become passionate about them.

But also, the more they would scare me.
I tell myself, that I should start with something easier, something less big.

Is this me falling into the passion-trap?

It is not like those ideas are, me following my passion. They are from different industries, but what they have in common is that they have a bigger impact.
I can find an idea for the same industrie with lower impact, and the passion will be gone.

Is this me fooling myself?
I am confused.

Passion comes with a positve feedback-loop.

Do I just not give enough chance to the lower impact ideas to develop?

Because obviously I am scared/ hesitant to go for the bigger ideas. And standing here, saying I have big ideas, but not executing them, will not get me anywhere. So, is it about me putting to rest those ideas, that are to big for me at the moment and focusing on the smal ideas, the boring ones, and giving them a chance to become interesting to me, by searching for feedback, validation? Starting with those ideas, even there is no passion, but knowing that, if this idea is a real need and proves value to people, passion will kick in!?

Am I letting fear get the best of my ideas, or does it make sense to go for the more reachable (less resistance/ less insecurities) first and try to kick in passion trough value validation(feedback-loop)?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
There is no right answer to this question. The only right answer, is whichever path you choose to follow.

One thing that helps me to decide when I'm faced with struggles like this, is I envision what a day in my life is like five years from now on each of these paths.

I love conversation, so I ask myself what kind of conversations will I be having every day if I go down this path or that path.

What parts of the day do you value? And which one of these paths will lead you towards the kind of days you want to fill your life with?

I hope this helps.

NicoleAnne

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Feb 1, 2020
Germany
And which one of these paths will lead you towards the kind of days you want to fill your life with?
Thanks for your reply. My reflection on what you said:

The fastlane will lead me to the kind of days I want to fill my life with. It doesn't matter which ideas I choose, as long as I approach it from a Fastlane point it will get me there.

So if it is all about getting where I want to get, then it doesn't matter what I do, as long as I follow the path of Fastlane. And if an idea with lower impact fits that path and provides value, then it will be fine?!

I strongly identify with the Fastlane lifestyle, it is where I want to get. So it shouldn't matter what kind of idea get's me there!?

Doesn't it make more sense to go for something I perceive as easier (but less impact), then to go for the harder version (but more impact), if both will get me to where I want to be?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks for your reply. My reflection on what you said:

The fastlane will lead me to the kind of days I want to fill my life with. It doesn't matter which ideas I choose, as long as I approach it from a Fastlane point it will get me there.

So if it is all about getting where I want to get, then it doesn't matter what I do, as long as I follow the path of Fastlane. And if an idea with lower impact fits that path and provides value, then it will be fine?!

I strongly identify with the Fastlane lifestyle, it is where I want to get. So it shouldn't matter what kind of idea get's me there!?

Doesn't it make more sense to go for something I perceive as easier (but less impact), then to go for the harder version (but more impact), if both will get me to where I want to be?

To me, it is shortchanging yourself to say "fastlane will lead me to the kind of days I want to fill my life with." It sounds like you don't know what you want your life filled with, and without knowing, you probably won't get it.

It takes critical thought. Thinking. You have to sit down, or stand or walk or jog or whatever you have to do to get your brain working. It's hard. Nobody wants to do it. Everybody skips that part. But it is necessary.

How can you strongly identify with a lifestyle that has no substance for you? You haven't defined fastlane for yourself in terms of what a fastlane lifestyle looks like.

In my opinion, Fastlane isn't something you "get to." It is something you live every day. You're living it right now, or you aren't, and it doesn't matter if you are wealthy or not.

If fastlane would lead you to the life you want to live, then you'd already be living it and it wouldn't matter which choice you made because all choices would be fastlane.

What does your life look like once you "get to" fastlane (be specific)? The choice that makes the most sense is the one with the highest chance to succeed in moving you closer to that vision.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I found that the bigger the impact of those ideas, the more they would excite me and the more I become passionate about them.

It is not like those ideas are, me following my passion. They are from different industries, but what they have in common is that they have a bigger impact.
I can find an idea for the same industrie with lower impact, and the passion will be gone.

I am confused.

Because obviously I am scared/ hesitant to go for the bigger ideas. And standing here, saying I have big ideas, but not executing them, will not get me anywhere. So, is it about me putting to rest those ideas, that are to big for me at the moment and focusing on the smal ideas, the boring ones, and giving them a chance to become interesting to me, by searching for feedback, validation? Starting with those ideas, even there is no passion, but knowing that, if this idea is a real need and proves value to people, passion will kick in!?

Am I letting fear get the best of my ideas, or does it make sense to go for the more reachable (less resistance/ less insecurities) first and try to kick in passion trough value validation(feedback-loop)?
Get passionate about helping people? Then get passionate about building a mechanism (business) to help even more of them - while getting paid?

Your first sentence gives it away. You’re not at an “idea-finding-stage”. I’d say you’re at the stage where you’re navel gazing and need to get out of your own head and go start helping people.

Help people and get some of that positive feedback going.

Help people and then figure out how to get paid.

HOT TOPIC - Who have you helped?

Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don’t have

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
A question I was asked years ago was:

“If money was no object then what work would you be doing?

What’s stopping you?”

(Craig Desorcy)

It doesn’t mean to keep navel gazing. I use that as a litmus test when I have choices to make.

NicoleAnne

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Feb 1, 2020
Germany
To me, it is shortchanging yourself to say "fastlane will lead me to the kind of days I want to fill my life with." It sounds like you don't know what you want your life filled with, and without knowing, you probably won't get it.

It takes critical thought. Thinking. You have to sit down, or stand or walk or jog or whatever you have to do to get your brain working. It's hard. Nobody wants to do it. Everybody skips that part. But it is necessary.

How can you strongly identify with a lifestyle that has no substance for you? You haven't defined fastlane for yourself in terms of what a fastlane lifestyle looks like.

In my opinion, Fastlane isn't something you "get to." It is something you live every day. You're living it right now, or you aren't, and it doesn't matter if you are wealthy or not.

If fastlane would lead you to the life you want to live, then you'd already be living it and it wouldn't matter which choice you made because all choices would be fastlane.

What does your life look like once you "get to" fastlane (be specific)? The choice that makes the most sense is the one with the highest chance to succeed in moving you closer to that vision.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Just because a group of people reads the same book does not mean we understand the same thing. My understanding is tinted by my life experiences and my beliefs. There are for sure things I didn't understand and things I didn't even realise I missed. It is obvious, I'm sorry for not considering.

WHAT does Fastlane look like to me:
My understanding of the Fastlane, is being in a position where my financial needs are met. --> Having a money-system in place to take care of my financial needs.

WHY:
I want to live like that, so what I do is not impacted by me making money.
I want to create things that will impact people. But how can I create those, when I need to consider making money for my living? How can I create something for somebody else, when I am still busy with myself?
How can I possibly make decissions in favor of others, even when it includes that I would lose money? If I am depending on that creation to make my living, then I can not. But if I reach the stage where I am financialy taken care of by having established a money-system, then my decisions can be purely impact driven.

A question I was asked years ago was:

“If money was no object then what work would you be doing?

What’s stopping you?”

(Craig Desorcy)

It doesn’t mean to keep navel gazing. I use that as a litmus test when I have choices to make.

I think what I just mentioned is what is stopping me right now.

Am I fooling myself???
Am I putting the cart before the horse?

NicoleAnne

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Feb 1, 2020
Germany
Get passionate about helping people? Then get passionate about building a mechanism (business) to help even more of them - while getting paid?

Your first sentence gives it away. You’re not at an “idea-finding-stage”. I’d say you’re at the stage where you’re navel gazing and need to get out of your own head and go start helping people.

Thanks for the links I will dive into it

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Am I fooling myself???
Am I putting the cart before the horse?

You're aren't fooling yourself. I think you're really close. I think one of these days something's going to click and you'll have it figured out.

I want to create things that will impact people. But how can I create those, when I need to consider making money for my living? How can I create something for somebody else, when I am still busy with myself?

I think you're even asking the right questions.

But you're not letting yourself get to the right answers.

You didn't take Lex's advice. So start making a list of all the things you want to create to impact people.

Impact is the secret to fastlane.

Once you have that list, start asking "how can I create those, when I need to consider making money for my living?"

You might need to take a job to invest in this impact effort. At first. Maybe you get an investor if the idea is worthy (Don't get an investor. Please don't).

But if you keep your focus on making impacts, the kind of impacts the earn you the reward of $$, you will be fastlane before you know it.

When you have this list of impact making ideas, how do you decide between them? If I were you, I would choose the one that led to financial independence the fastest.

But if I'm me, I would choose the one where the work is the most satisfying. Because I want to enjoy every day of my life. I don't want to wait to do what I want.

I'm not "financially independent" yet, but it doesn't matter to me. If I had $20M in the bank, my day to day would still look very much the same. I'd eat more filet mignon. That's really the only noticeable difference. I love my life.

Like I said at first, there is no right answer. You'll figure it out, and that will be the right answer. You got this.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I am confused.

Wow.

Business is hard and eventually I guess business survival is more important.

Personally I think for higher chance of success I will avoid business model that has a “long business chain”. Setting up factories to produce stuff is one example. Rental, supplier reliability, employee demand...any one factor go wrong will kill the business.

I will also look for business opportunities that has a fast feedback loop. After failing at one business idea it is easier to cut the loss and move on to the next. Business that require heavy initial investment in fixed assets and require a long time horizon to see return are harder to “test and then give up” easily.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California

Andy I think this needs to be said over and over again.
"Who can I help!"

After Talking to many attendees and reading the non-stop postings like, I want to do Ecommerce, it seems like everyone forgot About helping others.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
After Talking to many attendees and reading the non-stop postings like, I want to do Ecommerce, it seems like everyone forgot About helping others.

Exactly. Everyone is fired up to build empires and do 10/5/1 plans, but how many people remember Zane imploring us to change lives?

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

I am confused.

I think the passion trap is more about starting a business only because you have a passion for it, not so much to abandon an opportunity because you also happen to enjoy it.

I would still pursue it, if it fulfills the other CENTS criteria

NicoleAnne

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Feb 1, 2020
Germany
I reflected on all of your comments and I also followed the links you gave me, Andy Black, and went trough very interesting threads. I am thankful for the input you guys give me.

I still don't understand it. And I am sorry if I am being slow in understanding, I realy appreciate your efforts trying to explain this to me.

I understand that an clear purpose and a clear image of what one want's is important.
I want to be financial free and create value. (I know this is quite broad, but I have a clearer picture then I describe her, but there is something else I don't understand. )

I understand that creating and offering value will attract money, which in shape of a money-system can lead to financial freedom.

I don't need to have money to create value.
I don't need to be financial free before being able to create value.
I can just go ahead and create value.

Create Value and the money will follow.

I want money and I also want to create value.

This sounds like a perfect deal. So just go straight to creating value!?

And that's what I don't understand. Somehow that feels not right to me. I don't know what it is, it feels like the gears in my head are blocked by something. It makes so much sense logicaly and yet it feels not right. I don't know how to discribe it properly, sorry.
When something feels right to me, it is relaxing, easy, flows, relieving. But this makes me somewhat tense, like I can not fully grasp it.

Maybe it is because for the longest I made being financial free more important then creatig value?

Did I understand the value/money concept correctly? Can anyone relate to what I just described?

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Can anyone relate to what I just described?

I can relate to the feeling of something in my gut telling me that this all makes sense, but it's not right for me, and so I'm paralyzed.

I think you understand it all correctly. I've been listening to what you're saying. In some of your other comments, some of your value creation ideas are not for profit.

Is there any part of you that believes "creating value" has to be a "not selfish" activity?

Maybe let's put it in different context then. Because for example it isn't just about creating value. I mean I'm creating value in this post (hopefully) but this isn't a fast lane activity.

Creating value that people will pay you for. The value we are referring to is ultimately monetary.

So what can you create, that will help people's situations, and they will pay you for?

Does that help at all?

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
You won't and you can't understand by sitting here just reading the comments. 80% Mindset 20% Executing

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.