The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New here. Currently, a web developer looking for different ideas

jlguitar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Nov 30, 2021
England
Hi all

I finished listening to the MFL a month ago, and it really changed my perception of life. I have tried different ventures before; drop shipping, freelancing on the side (still do this), selling on FB marketplace. But all small stuff, and I really want to make a living helping others solve their problems, whilst earning a lot more.

Looking at some of the threads on the forum so far, I am still trying to decide which path is best for me to go down. Whilst I do like making sites look awesome, I am not sure if there is a lot of money in it. Plus, will AI take such jobs away in the future? I think when it comes to backend and e-commerce, WordPress and Shopify do things so well, that in a way that I don't see the point in recreating the 'wheel'.

So at the minute writing, ecom development, and a niche site idea that I have are my current ideas.

But I would love to connect with people, and if anyone was in my boat, please feel free to chip-in with some advice.
I have been self-driven for a while now, but I just know that I need to start my own thing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend, I assume you play guitar?

So at the minute writing, ecom development, and a niche site idea that I have are my current ideas.

Value skew is the name of the game!

Thanks for the intro and welcome.

Shield

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 28, 2021
Interesting, I can sell your services, perhaps we can can work together and make a lot of $$$?
I can get clients.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
The idea is the toughest part, when you're an engineer / programmer.

It's GaryV-level blurting cliche at this point that execution is ten times more important than ideas, but that cliche is plainly false. It's 50/50.

And when you're a programmer type, your strengths lead you away from correctly identifying the idea, because the idea has to be ripe, and identifying a ripe idea is a fundamentally social activity. It has to be the right time, people have to desperately need (not like) what you offer, they have to be poised to buy, long before you worry about how to provide the offering.

You have to be right up in the front lines of business, talking to people all the time, to detect what is becoming hot. The only way around that is to pile into an existing hot space (currently crypto, before that SEO and digital marketing generally), and beat the competition with your superior skills, and hope you're not too late.

Finding an idea as an engineer is so tough because (a) engineers tend to be less social types than average, which puts them too far from the pulse (anything but right on top of it is too far), and (b) they're specialized in skills such that they have a severe gravity towards building things, which is the absolutely worst thing you can do at the idea stage.

So I'd suggest, as I'm currently doing, to put down any thoughts of your profession, very firmly, and instead concentrate on your non-professional interests, especially any that are especially popular or draw wealthy participants, and focus on identifying a problem in that area.

Not even a technical problem. Just, a problem. Then solve it. Never even think of code. If it surprisingly turns out code can fix that problem, wow how lucky! Otherwise, you have the general problem solving skills needed to solve it how it actually needs solving. This is one things programmers sometimes forget, that what they do just happens to be a specific subset of the more general intelligence of logically solving problems.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...