The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Food Product From Scratch

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RichOC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 5, 2015
England
Hello Everyone!

I'm creating this thread to: A) get feedback on my idea. B) Finally get myself moving and C) If I do actually get somewhere, this thread can one day be added to the ever increasing pile of threads on this forum that inspire and help others.

Just a quick bit of background on me and why I’m here writing this:

I'm 23 Y.O living in England, I've actually been around on the forum since about 20. Since then I've read a ton of info (way more than enough to get going) and failed at a few things. I've never really managed to get myself to where I want to be.

In this thread I’m going to explain my idea in full detail. This is based on the fact I'd like to be totally open about what I’m doing & why. It’s also because also I’d love any feedback on my idea in regards to whether it's actually viable.

I'm really getting sick of not executing and to be honest, even if it doesn't work out, It's a lot easier to get out of bed in the morning when I’m working on something I’m passionate about than in my current state of aimlessness.

I actually came up with this idea about 6+ months ago (just before a large break from the forum) But I spent a lot of time overthinking it and was very unsure if it was viable or not. I'd love to get back into it though, hence this thread :). Basically, I know if I don't make this thread, this idea won't go anywhere.

Anyway, onto the idea!

I'd like to create a range of vegan friendly, plant based snack foods.

When I say this, I don't mean things like peanut bars etc., I mean products that are traditionally non vegan friendly but made plant based. This actually makes the specific idea generation quite easy. Think of a great non vegan snack food - make it plant based.

So for example on of my favourite ideas that I came up with is cheese dippers. (the lunchbox pack style cheese & breadstick snacks) I think that'd be a good place to start as I don't want to over-complicate it from the beginning.

Some of the possible hurdles that I expect to face are:

• Typical food product issues: It's a food product, which actually fills me with dread just thinking about it. Products going bad, Licences needed, Order fulfilment difficulties, Health & Safety concerns... I could go on.
  • Manufacturer/supplier scarcity: As I’m talking about a vegan friendly product finding these could be a bit of a challenge.
  • Funds: There's no getting around it, starting something like this with a budget like mine won't be easy...

Overall though, I’m pretty happy with this idea and can't wait to get into it. I'm going to try and post regular updates here even if it's just to keep me accountable.

I'd really appreciate any feedback at all about this. If anyone has any advice/info sources to share please go ahead!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I could help you with recipes and hints and tips on how to cook what works well together etc, I'm a chef by trade. But anything else I don't have experience bringing anything like this to market on scale.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm posting this as a place holder so I don't forget about this thread, I want to come back to it and give you some advice.

In the meantime, if you haven't, check out my thread that I'm sure you'll find very helpful.

NOTABLE! - Food business/entrepreneurship startup guide

Also, plant based is the huge trend right now. Its going to be a very crowded market. But I'm not sure how much of it has made its way over to the UK yet. I'll try and think of some resources that list a good bit of the plant-based companies out there. My first thought would be to check out the Fancy Food Show and Expo West (both are US trade shows for food) exhibitor lists.

I'll pop back in here when I get some more time.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Make first (one) pack of snack (with @Timmy1990 help ), seal it in some package foil and add sticker.

Go anywhere vegans are and offer it for $5 or anything that sounds reasonable.

I best case you get validation and move forward.

In worst case, you hit upon plainclothes FDA agent. (I hope not)

RichOC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 5, 2015
England
I could help you with recipes and hints and tips on how to cook what works well together etc, I'm a chef by trade. But anything else I don't have experience bringing anything like this to market on scale.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely get in touch with some questions soon. That's seriously a big help.

RichOC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 5, 2015
England
Make first (one) pack of snack (with @Timmy1990 help ), seal it in some package foil and add sticker.

Go anywhere vegans are and offer it for $5 or anything that sounds reasonable.

I best case you get validation and move forward.

In worst case, you hit upon plainclothes FDA agent. (I hope not)

Yeah I like that, I'll start trying to get feedback and whipping up something to get people's opions on.

I think I'll try and avoid getting arrested for it.. Haha

Thanks for the reply

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
So for example on of my favourite ideas that I came up with is cheese dippers. (the lunchbox pack style cheese & breadstick snacks)

I'll hit the idea first. I think this is way to niched down. I'm not sure how popular those are in the UK, but I don't think I've seen one of those cheese dipper packs outside of the ghetto dollar store since the mid 90's (in the US).

Beyond the popularity of that, its too niched down. The big trend right now is to take a common food and make plant based alternative.

Coffee creamer > Nut Pods nutpods Dairy Free Coffee Creamer - Whole30, Paleo, Keto, Vegan
Cheese > Daiya https://daiyafoods.com/
Beef Burger > Impossible Burger https://impossiblefoods.com/food/

You catch the drift. I would zoom out a bit and find a bigger or more common ingredient or snack that you can make a plant based version of. That way you can expand the brand with additional flavors or varieties.
i.e. Plant Based cheese cake
  • plant based ricotta cheese cake
  • plant based new york style cheese cake
  • plant based cream cheese
  • etc

Typical food product issues: It's a food product, which actually fills me with dread just thinking about it. Products going bad, Licences needed, Order fulfilment difficulties, Health & Safety concerns... I could go on.

First and foremost, before you even get close to scale, you'll need a food scientist. Food safety has very stringent regulations. I don't even know what the food governing body in the UK is, but the FDA in the US does not mess around. I have my copacker handle 100% of this.

Formulating and creating a plant based version of something that is not plant based is HARD. You'll have to get very creative with things like molecular gastronomy, using different gums and alternative proteins to make things work. Unless you're making something simple like a vegan cookie or protein bar, I'd highly suggest working with a food scientist from the beginning.

Funds: There's no getting around it, starting something like this with a budget like mine won't be easy...

It's hard to bootstrap food. If you can make it yourself in your own or commercial kitchen, this is really the only way to bootstrap. My products for example 100% cannot be made at home or by myself, because of the emulsification and special techniques involved. A minimum order for me is $10k per product.

I would check to see if your country has "cottage food laws". I have no clue if the UK does. Its essentially a law allowing you to home make food and sell it to people without having a commercial facility. In my state, Florida, the law is, if your gross revenue per year is less than $10,000 you can make food in your kitchen to sell it. Essentially, bake sale for your kids school is ok, but selling any significant amount at a farmers market is a quick way to a fine.

Seriously though, go read my Food Startup Guide I posted earlier. And possibly get an INSIDERS sub, because I have 15+ pages of starting a food business in the inside.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.