The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a new Food product business, (plant-based / vegan)

dude_abides

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2017
California
Hi All,
My wife and I have decided to launch a new business. We're developing a food product to serve people that are eating Vegan / Whole-Food-Plant-Based diet.
Our target personas are:
1) individuals that are 'in transition', just starting on their journey to a whole-food plant based diet; they are looking for great tasting, easy-to-prepare food, that tastes great, without animal-based ingredients.
2) busy people that are 100% vegan/plant-based looking for great-tasting packaged vegan/plant-based meals

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome to hear it, been vegan for 3 years and I'm quite familiar with the space.

I see tons of opportunities in the industry.

What are you thinking? Freezer food? Snacks?

dude_abides

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2017
California
Awesome to hear it, been vegan for 3 years and I'm quite familiar with the space.

I see tons of opportunities in the industry.

What are you thinking? Freezer food? Snacks?

Thanks for the interest!

I think Snacks are great and a lot of cool things happening there; however, we're really looking to target those that want to 'eat clean' and avoid heavily processed , long-tail ingredients lists.

To generalize somewhat, our first product is targeting the grocery aisle, near soups/broths; offering a filling / hearty meal with plenty of protein (about the same amount you would get from a comparable meat-based product). It will also be loaded with antioxidant-rich spices and herbs.

We're both eating vegan / plant-based; she's been vegetarian for years and recently went full vegan; and I'm only about 3 months on my vegan journey :) We both enjoy cooking and formulating new recipes; and trying to produce some of our traditional family meat-based favorites like Italian meatballs and lasagna;

We've found that most grocery 'vegetarian' prepared foods contain a-lot of 'processed' ingredients, sugars, oils, and other long-tail ingredients; So we really want to target those that are trying to eat clean, whole-food, ween themselves from some meat-based favorites without all the processed ingredients (beyond meat, etc.); as well as long time vegans looking for hearty, tasty, whole-food based options they can take to work for lunch or easily heat up at home for dinner.

The concept again is to make the food filling, hearty, and tasty so that really no one cares or notices there is no meat, sugar, and oil. it's just great food on its own. and vegan, organic, to boot.

we're working with a formulator now to come up with a prototype

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
To generalize somewhat, our first product is targeting the grocery aisle, near soups/broths; offering a filling / hearty meal with plenty of protein (about the same amount you would get from a comparable meat-based product). It will also be loaded with antioxidant-rich spices and herbs.

OMG, how ironic. Unscripted (Book 2 currently in rough draft) takes this actual idea and uses it in a demonstrative narrative. In fact, it is a business concept me and the SO are researching now. We might do something here. Having been in this space, we see opportunity everywhere and that's one.

dude_abides

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2017
California
OMG, how ironic. Unscripted (Book 2 currently in rough draft) takes this actual idea and uses it in a demonstrative narrative. In fact, it is a business concept me and the SO are researching now. We might do something here. Having been in this space, we see opportunity everywhere and that's one.
Wow! how funny. Well it seems a ripe area and obviously growing market. Lots of room :D
If you guys are interested to meet up and share ideas, we're in Scottsdale :D

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
From what I can tell, the biggest hurdle is creating more shelf stable items. Hence the amount of processed/full-of-preservative vegan foods in general.

What about various vegan spice mixes or sauces that someone could add to the core components they locally buy and prep?

I could see a vegan version of a food prep service working, so all the whole foods are already prepped and delivered leaving the person to cook it or partially cook it.

Also could see a bonus if the food had B12 added to it, let people not have to worry about B12 supplementation.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Hi All,
My wife and I have decided to launch a new business. We're developing a food product to serve people that are eating Vegan / Whole-Food-Plant-Based diet.
Our target personas are:
1) individuals that are 'in transition', just starting on their journey to a whole-food plant based diet; they are looking for great tasting, easy-to-prepare food, that tastes great, without animal-based ingredients.
2) busy people that are 100% vegan/plant-based looking for great-tasting packaged vegan/plant-based meals

Any update?

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
Always here for food stuff. I hope it all goes well and you can conquer the shelf life issues and competition among others products. If you want to branch out, please look into keto. You can even do plant-based products that are keto-friendly. I feel us keto folks get shafted on having neat, cost effective products. Vegans and Paleo folks seem to have all the good stuff.

bonnechic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 12, 2020
Congratulations on your new business. Nowadays people are becoming vegan. Hope you will be able to run a profitable business. If you can do some more business promotion for more profit.

SeanODG

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 6, 2019
Chicago
Would love to know as well how things are going; best of luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.