The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Never Too Old

Idea threads

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
I’m 68 and retired. I spent most of my career as the principal of a consulting engineering firm I founded. My family situation and my own inertia kept me on the slow end of the fast lane, but I had a very rewarding career and I was fortunate enough to be able to grow and sell my firm.

I’ve kept notebooks of inventions and innovations for decades, mostly tools and gadgets. I spent the past several months re-visiting my notes and concentrating on one idea with a good CENTS rating, with an eye on licensing. I had teamed up with an old friend with a marketing background because I knew that’s not how I wanted to spend my time. After I had performed a patent search, developed a functioning prototype for presentation and written and filed a PPA my friend went to work, but it wasn’t long before he realized that a lot of effort would be required and he bailed on me. I wasn’t crushed, but damn I was frustrated! I had done a lot of marketing for my consulting firm over the years and I knew I was capable of marketing my products, but it’s not really within my comfort zone. It was while casting about the internet for inspiration that I stumbled onto this forum. The call to execute and the many stories of perseverance have been the shot in the arm I needed. So now I’ve read MFL. I’ve re-worked my sell sheet, made a demo video, and have several commercial entities field my prototype. I’ll be getting evaluations from them shortly and will use the info to make any needed changes. Then I’ll start hitting up a list of prospects I’ve been developing, with definitive goals and a schedule. Meanwhile, my second and third innovations are taking shape on the 3D printer and electronics bench, and I’m doing preliminary sketches on a couple of more.

At this point in my life I’m in it mostly for the fun, but it’s just as exciting and interesting as if I was 50 years younger. I know that my innovations have value, and it would be really rewarding to see one or more of them manufactured and brought to market. I read these forums regularly, as I constantly need my butt kicked over the hurdle of ennui associated with marketing. And I now consider all of you to be my accountability partners, for which I am extremely grateful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome! Any clues to what you're inventing? Hope you update us on the progress. You're never too old to create value and level-up at life.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm always up for a good "tough love" thread. Following with interest.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas
Welcome! Any clues to what you're inventing? Hope you update us on the progress. You're never too old to create value and level-up at life.

Yes!
I have a specialty knife with a large TAM in field testing.
I am also developing two innovative items for the hobbyist/light commercial woodworking market.
And I have a few early versions of some items in the pet and outdoors arenas. I’m trying hard to keep my focus on marketing right now and not let new products distract me from that.
More to come on marketing efforts and results….

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.