The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need advice for an educational app (SaaS)

Idea threads

Sokka

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 21, 2022
Dear fastlane fellas and fellettes!

I am excited to share with you a business idea that I believe the market truly needs and will find valuable. I am developing an educational app that teaches and quizzes users on various skills.

As I have limited experience in app development, I have found a no-code platform to be the most suitable for me. It allows me to save time and money on development. However, I am now facing a dilemma. The web application of Flutterflow uses a significant amount of RAM, causing my MacBook 2017 8GB to become extremely slow and laggy as it sounds like a Boeing 747 that is about to take off. Unfortunately, I am unable to increase my MacBook's RAM (Thanks Apple!), so I am considering purchasing a new notebook with at least 16GB (or possibly 32GB) of RAM, which would cost me around $1400. I have also tried deploying a VM in the cloud with 16GB of RAM, but it was still running slow. I have the option to improve the performance of the cloud, but it would require me to spend hundreds of dollars monthly. Instead, I believe it would be a better investment to put that money towards one of the other options I am considering.

Another option is to outsource the entire design and features to someone on Fiverr for $500-$600. However, this is just a rough start for the app, but it is a good foundation to move forward with development.

I have listed the pros and downsides of both options below:

** Pros of purchasing a new notebook:
  • The ability to learn valuable skills such as UX/UI design, critical thinking, and other related application development skills
  • The ability to deploy more SaaS products in the future since I will have learned the skills to do so
  • I can offer my skills as a freelancer to earn additional income.

* Cons of purchasing a new notebook:
  • Requires a significant investment for a notebook, and I still have no product and will have to invest more time to design and develop
  • I am not completely sure that the app will function properly on the new notebook, so I may encounter a similar issue.

** Pros of outsourcing the app development:
  • Outsourcing to someone with at least 1 year of experience will save me a significant amount of time and allow me to act faster
  • The freelancer's experience may also provide valuable recommendations for the development process

* Downsides of outsourcing the app development:
  • I will not learn valuable skills
  • It requires an investment
  • Outsourcing to some countries may result in a different design taste and could be a hurdle

I am also considering a third option, which is to combine both options. First, getting the design and app, and then modifying it and adding new features. This has several benefits: I learn new skills, it requires less risk since I already have an app (worst case is "losing" $500), and I found myself better in modifying than building things.

TL;DR: I am trying to decide whether to outsource app development for $500, buy a new notebook for $1400, or combine both options to already have a "physical" product so I can start modifying later on. I would greatly appreciate any tips and advice you may have.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post. I am confident that this app will be successful, it's just a matter of when.

I am looking forward to your valuable input!

Your fastlane entrepreneur-to-be

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
I doubt you'll get anywhere outsourcing 500 bucks to someone with 1 year of experience. That's barely 20h of work for someone charging $25/h, which is very low. Also, what's after that? If you are planning to do any development on that (or a new) app yourself, you'll need a suitable machine sooner than later.

Btw, have you validated the idea at all?

Sokka

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 21, 2022
I doubt you'll get anywhere outsourcing 500 bucks to someone with 1 year of experience. That's barely 20h of work for someone charging $25/h, which is very low. Also, what's after that? If you are planning to do any development on that (or a new) app yourself, you'll need a suitable machine sooner than later.

Btw, have you validated the idea at all?
A guy from Pakistan offered to build an app through Flutterflow for approximately $500. Since FF does not require any code, it saves a bunch of time. Do you still think $500 is unreasonable in this case?

What do you mean by validation? Posting my idea on the forum?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
A guy from Pakistan offered to build an app through Flutterflow for approximately $500. Since FF does not require any code, it saves a bunch of time. Do you still think $500 is unreasonable in this case?

What do you mean by validation? Posting my idea on the forum?
I can't advice on the guy from Pakistan, as I don't know him. But here in Europe you'll have a hard time getting more than 1 day of work from a competent developer for $500. Also, careful with "it saves a bunch of time", as you might run into issues when the generic no-code solution doesn't fit (I haven't used Flutterflow though, so you'll probably know better). Does your app need a backend? Because that adds up even more development.

By validation I mean having spoken to potential users and having at least a few really wanting to use your app. From your description, looks more like you believe there's a market fit rather than having checked. But I might be wrong.

Sokka

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 21, 2022
I can't advice on the guy from Pakistan, as I don't know him. But here in Europe you'll have a hard time getting more than 1 day of work from a competent developer for $500. Also, careful with "it saves a bunch of time", as you might run into issues when the generic no-code solution doesn't fit (I haven't used Flutterflow though, so you'll probably know better). Does your app need a backend? Because that adds up even more development.

By validation I mean having spoken to potential users and having at least a few really wanting to use your app. From your description, looks more like you believe there's a market fit rather than having checked. But I might be wrong.

I will likely choose to develop the app myself as I believe the skills I will gain are the most valuable.

As for validating the app, you are not wrong. I have not yet spoken to potential users to gauge their interest. I was considering creating a website and email address to reach out to potential users for seeking interest. Is that what you had in mind?

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
Dear fastlane fellas and fellettes!

I am excited to share with you a business idea that I believe the market truly needs and will find valuable. I am developing an educational app that teaches and quizzes users on various skills.

As I have limited experience in app development, I have found a no-code platform to be the most suitable for me. It allows me to save time and money on development. However, I am now facing a dilemma. The web application of Flutterflow uses a significant amount of RAM, causing my MacBook 2017 8GB to become extremely slow and laggy as it sounds like a Boeing 747 that is about to take off. Unfortunately, I am unable to increase my MacBook's RAM (Thanks Apple!), so I am considering purchasing a new notebook with at least 16GB (or possibly 32GB) of RAM, which would cost me around $1400. I have also tried deploying a VM in the cloud with 16GB of RAM, but it was still running slow. I have the option to improve the performance of the cloud, but it would require me to spend hundreds of dollars monthly. Instead, I believe it would be a better investment to put that money towards one of the other options I am considering.

Another option is to outsource the entire design and features to someone on Fiverr for $500-$600. However, this is just a rough start for the app, but it is a good foundation to move forward with development.

I have listed the pros and downsides of both options below:

** Pros of purchasing a new notebook:
  • The ability to learn valuable skills such as UX/UI design, critical thinking, and other related application development skills
  • The ability to deploy more SaaS products in the future since I will have learned the skills to do so
  • I can offer my skills as a freelancer to earn additional income.

* Cons of purchasing a new notebook:
  • Requires a significant investment for a notebook, and I still have no product and will have to invest more time to design and develop
  • I am not completely sure that the app will function properly on the new notebook, so I may encounter a similar issue.

** Pros of outsourcing the app development:
  • Outsourcing to someone with at least 1 year of experience will save me a significant amount of time and allow me to act faster
  • The freelancer's experience may also provide valuable recommendations for the development process

* Downsides of outsourcing the app development:
  • I will not learn valuable skills
  • It requires an investment
  • Outsourcing to some countries may result in a different design taste and could be a hurdle

I am also considering a third option, which is to combine both options. First, getting the design and app, and then modifying it and adding new features. This has several benefits: I learn new skills, it requires less risk since I already have an app (worst case is "losing" $500), and I found myself better in modifying than building things.

TL;DR: I am trying to decide whether to outsource app development for $500, buy a new notebook for $1400, or combine both options to already have a "physical" product so I can start modifying later on. I would greatly appreciate any tips and advice you may have.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post. I am confident that this app will be successful, it's just a matter of when.

I am looking forward to your valuable input!

Your fastlane entrepreneur-to-be
A developer with 1 year of experience cannot produce production-ready software, you need at least one developer in the team to have 5 (or even more if the app is more complex ) or more years.
Now if you are talking about a very simple app that doesn't require database or API then it might be possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.