The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Moved to Scottsdale, Growing a Web Design Firm

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Yucks. This is terrible. Sometimes red flag don't show up until much later too. You did your part. Hope you get your payment in soon!

It's been a tough pill for me to swallow to be honest, but it won't stop my progress/growth.

Working on Wall Street for almost 5 years, I dealt with so many ridiculous people who always seemed to be furious, and I learned a lot and got great at dealing with problematic people like that, so this is really the first person I haven't been able to crack.

We did SO much more than we should've. We bent over backwards for this guy for months and months doing things to keep him happy, but his insane edits kept coming and he'd legitimately say things like "why can't we have this feature... Amazon or Ebay has it".

I had zero intention of bringing in a lawyer until he threatened me and my business. I'm going to speak with my attorney first thing on Monday to determine next steps because there's no way he pays the remaining amount.

Most likely the next step will be to tell him we're giving him X number of days to pay, and if he doesn't and he wants to go the route of the courts, as per the contract, he will pay what he owes anyway (the $6.4k) plus his legal fees and my legal fees... so it's up to him.

I just want to close this out and to be finished with this guy though - it's wasting too much mental capacity and causing too much stress that's distracting me from other deals and growing my business.

But as I mentioned before, like everything else.. it's a learning experience and I'll get better from this experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mauamolat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 3, 2020
Philippines
Hey everyone,

It's been about one year since I joined the forum and thanks to the great advice of some members of the community, I've been able to completely change my life and move in a better direction.

To keep it simple, I was working at an investment bank in NYC and absolutely hated my life / how I was treated.

This week I just moved into my apartment in Scottsdale after making the cross country drive solo. A few months back I started my web design business with the help of Fox's course which has provided tremendous value and I've already closed a $1250 and a $4000 sale so far (a few other possible ones in the pipeline too).

When I was trying to find my way, I probably cold emailed 250+ businesses and cold called 150+ with lots of rejection, but it was a great learning experience.

I know a lot of members are from the Scottsdale/Phoenix area, and as I'm new to the area, it would be great to meet up if anyone is interested to grab a coffee/drink sometime.

Thanks!
Great. Thanks for sharing the thought, Man. So how's the business going? What exact Web Design business do you do? Code from scratch or just WordPress? Can you share how you manage your projects and team? This is what I'm struggling with nowadays. More projects, more headache and sleepless nights

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
he'd legitimately say things like "why can't we have this feature... Amazon or Ebay has it".

Crazy how Amazon has made so much appear "easy" or "normal".

My business partner, who runs the coding/website side of our business, deals with this pretty regularly. His auto response is, "Yes, and eBay and Amazon hired dozens of coders and spent millions of dollars to have that. You're spending $15k."

But as I mentioned before, like everything else.. it's a learning experience and I'll get better from this experience.

It sucks man. But at least you have the right attitude.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Crazy how Amazon has made so much appear "easy" or "normal".

My business partner, who runs the coding/website side of our business, deals with this pretty regularly. His auto response is, "Yes, and eBay and Amazon hired dozens of coders and spent millions of dollars to have that. You're spending $15k."

It sucks man. But at least you have the right attitude.

Thanks my man, yeah this guy is a handful. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't written an angry email back yet / sent more threats but I bet it's coming first thing on Monday.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey All,

Quick update for the numbers - had a $100 per month and $200 per month client pay in the last few days:

On a side note, my first SEO client kept me on for web maintenance and she got so busy that she had to stop the SEO campaign because she couldn't keep up with all of the leads.

I've been tracking the rankings for the keywords we've been targeting and it's really cool to see they've still been rising based on the on-page and off-page work that I helped out with. It's allowed my client to have all the leads she needs just from SEO and to almost completely cut her PPC budget which was getting pricey.

In the beginning I was definitely stressed about not being able to deliver, so really glad to see it's been going well with my SEO clients since I started offering this service.

2020 Revenue Tracker: $11,766 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $4,633 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey All,

Quick update for the numbers - had a $100 per month and $200 per month client pay in the last few days:

On a side note, my first SEO client kept me on for web maintenance and she got so busy that she had to stop the SEO campaign because she couldn't keep up with all of the leads.

I've been tracking the rankings for the keywords we've been targeting and it's really cool to see they've still been rising based on the on-page and off-page work that I helped out with. It's allowed my client to have all the leads she needs just from SEO and to almost completely cut her PPC budget which was getting pricey.

In the beginning I was definitely stressed about not being able to deliver, so really glad to see it's been going well with my SEO clients since I started offering this service.

What’s something you can offer Dan to those people who see massive improvements with your seo?

I forget who but someone at the summit had a great point about selling them on the next challenge your solution creates (after it works).

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

This is the perfect time to ask her for a referral or two. And a review.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Seems like you are maintaining a good attitude in the midst of all this. Very important. Shit like this is bound to happen. Work with what you have (sounds like a strong case) and don't let any of it affect your other tasks or outlook.

Good job on your progress with this.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
What’s something you can offer Dan to those people who see massive improvements with your seo?

I forget who but someone at the summit had a great point about selling them on the next challenge your solution creates (after it works).

Hey man, that's a very good question. To be honest, I've been stumped when business owners tell me that they have a full book of work and can't take on anymore clients.

Usually the only thing I can think of is to speak to them about their own goals for their business. This way, not just thinking of the immediate future but 3-5 years from the road. If they want to expand the business or move into other markets, they know I can deliver with SEO + web design so that would mean more business on my end.

I could send over an email to this specific client and just ask what her plans are with this business and if she wants to continue to scale/grow it.

This is the perfect time to ask her for a referral or two. And a review.

I already have the review! But agreed, always a good idea to reach out to the happy clients about referrals, you never know.

Seems like you are maintaining a good attitude in the midst of all this. Very important. Shit like this is bound to happen. Work with what you have (sounds like a strong case) and don't let any of it affect your other tasks or outlook.

Good job on your progress with this.

Thanks Steve - the summit was a huge help to see that almost every single person I met who had been running their business for a while dealt with challenges like this.

Definitely helps see the bigger picture, this is just a roadblock and the way I make the most of it is to learn and adjust next time I'm negotiating with a client who's a huge red flag like this to not proceed, as even if the contract is a decent amount it can be so detrimental to the overall progress of my business.

CoderSales

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Feb 3, 2020
Colorado
Brutal to hear about this pain in the a$$ client. I've had to deal with them and can tell you from experience, your 'spidey sense' will be 100X stronger now with these kinds of business owners. Also, if it's possible, can you post or DM the contract that you have in place?

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

Solid day today, in one of the SEO groups that I'm apart of, one friend doesn't do web/SEO anymore so he sent me over a lead.

Had a call with the business today and they gave me an overview of what they're looking for. They're in the fashion industry and their current site is really holding them back. I absolutely loved that they see it as a value add to their business, they mentioned the former site didn't get them the results they were looking for with the business.

We'll see how it goes, but it just seems like one of those clients that I know I could get great results for. Most importantly, if that goes well they want to look into SEO/other services after the site is ready to go.

It's kind of become second nature on these sales calls to ask the right questions to get all of the info I need to pitch them later, so it's been great to see that progress. Most likely will email the client tomorrow and look for a time to speak to go over my proposal.

Will keep everyone posted. In the meantime, working through on-boarding the newest client and getting those projects kicked off.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hey All,

I'm having a similar issue with a social media client. But I pretty much told them if they bail because they can't handle the enquiries, I won't be available to be hired again. Let's work together on the problem instead.

I don't know what that is yet though. Probably helping them set up a CRM and qualifying leads with automation somehow. Their website isn't wordpress but asp. net which I don't know jack about.

I've noticed some marketers lately talking about this problem and only taking the client on if they are aware of this happening and have a plan to deal with it. Heard someone on this forum call it success failure the other day which sounds so fitting lol.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey All,

When I was prospecting like crazy and working to grow this business, I kept telling myself I wanted to get to the point where I had so many clients and projects that I would NEED to start offloading and outsourcing work, to basically force my hand to get smarter with my system... I believe I'm finally at that place now.

It's been a lot of long days - so far this week and last week there have been a lot of 12+ hour days. The positive of all of this is that I feel comfortable enough with my abilities to outsource a large portion of the web design work that I'll take on in the future, for SEO I still want to control most of it just because I still am improving and learning.

Anyway, here are some notable things that have been up since I last posted:

• Had my first mastermind call this morning with @Fox and a few others that I met at the summit. I know it was suggested to join as many as possible, but I know myself and I excel when I'm not spread too thin, so I always want to give everything my 110% when I commit... it's an excellent group and we capped the number of people already so that it remains small, but I already see the huge potential from all of the amazing people I can learn from in that group.
  • Had to send a chaser (after speaking with my lawyer) for the client that's being a pain. My email tracking is telling me that he's viewing the emails but he hasn't responded yet. This time, at the suggestion of my contract lawyer, I mentioned that he has 7 calendar days to pay or else I will need to pursue further collection actions. Kept it vague on purpose, I know I don't want this to go to court and I'm sure the client's in the same boat... we've given him all the opportunities in the world here to just settle this, but if he keeps ignoring me when I have subcontractors to pay, it may need to go down that route.
  • Working hard to finish up the first rough draft for my newest financial services client (providing a site and then ongoing SEO). Have the outline and structure done for the site, just need to fill it in with content, images, styling, etc. Worked with the partners at the business to select the specific keywords we're going to target for SEO so we kicked that off as well already.
  • Another client I've been working with in the event planning niche for a website is 99.9% finished, just waiting on the owner to send me over her suggested copy. She's been a pleasure to work with, but the last month or so there's been a lot of promises with specific dates of when she'd get it to me which has been a little bit challenging, but I'll continue to send her periodic chasers to get in touch.
  • Lots of proposals going out. One thing that really helped me after the first year of business and literally making $0 some months is that you always need to be prospecting every week so I've continually been building up a dynamic pipeline of prospects that I keep working on.
There's a lot going on, but I'll keep it at that for now with this post so I don't write an essay here. If I just close out one more project or any new deal, February will be a 5 figure month which would be a solid way to start the year (right now it's around $8k brought in for Feb). Will keep everyone posted.

Heavyd814life

New Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 10, 2020
Awesome stuff, @GuitarManDan. Quick question about SEO...how exactly do you market it to clients and how involved is the process? I build in Wordpress and have used RankMath to SEO optimize the two sites I've built for clients. It's only a 30-45 min process so I don't charge extra for it, but I'm wondering if there's more I could be doing.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Awesome stuff, @GuitarManDan. Quick question about SEO...how exactly do you market it to clients and how involved is the process? I build in Wordpress and have used RankMath to SEO optimize the two sites I've built for clients. It's only a 30-45 min process so I don't charge extra for it, but I'm wondering if there's more I could be doing.

Usually it's more in-depth than this, but very simply you're telling the business owner that there are highly-targeted leads searching for exactly what their business does and they currently aren't able to find their site, so all of those leads are going to the competition on page one. It's really just about getting your online presence in front of people actively searching for exactly what their business does in the exact location they provide those services.

It sounds like you only worked on on-page seo which I agree is a one-off project at first. The monthly work deals with off-page seo and getting high-quality and relevant backlinks to the site, content writing, making adjustments as you see the rankings, etc.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

Quick update to the numbers below after a $200 per month paid:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $11,966 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

Logged in to make a quick update to the numbers as one of my $1500 per month SEO clients is automatically billed on the 1st of the month and saw that today is my 3 year anniversary since joining the forum!

I also know it's been 2 years almost to the day that I drove cross country from NJ to AZ and it's just been an amazingly rewarding experience so far. Can't thank everyone on this forum enough. It helped me turn my frustrations of being stuck in a job that I hated into real action to improve my situation and my life.

I still have a long way to go, but to be able to make a full-time income on my own schedule and to improve everyday with my sales / business skills has been incredible. I have a great feeling March is going to be a huge month and I'm going to take the steps necessary to make it that way.

Updated numbers below:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $13,466 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey All,

Great day today! I've been continuing my SEO outreach and a local plumbing company responded back kinda hesitant. I broke down exactly how I'd be able to help out and was able to address their concerns so they agreed to move forward on a month-to-month SEO package at $1,500 per month! They just paid the invoice so I'm really pumped right now.

Additionally, a client that's paying me $333.33 per month paid automatically and my $1,000 per month client paid so updating the numbers below:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $16,299.33 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $6,133 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Been an up and down week so far, the pain client basically came back and said he owes us nothing because we "didn't deliver". I wrote back an email basically asking him to point out where on the contract (where there are specific deliverables) we haven't delivered fully.

Spoke with my lawyer and she was describing how expensive this could get... to be honest, I'm at the point now where I may just let this one go. He still owes $6400 but I would have to spend easily 3-5k in lawyer and arbitration fees (and then have to fight to get the client to pay me back for those fees).

Definitely a learning experience with this pain client but just trying to focus my efforts on bringing on new clients and not getting bogged down by challenges.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Quick update:

One smaller client who is paying $100 per month for website maintenance and SEO tracking decided to stop her services with me. She is pivoting into another business and doesn't offer the services that this business provides anymore. Updating the numbers below:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $16,299.33 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $6,033 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey All,

The 12 month SEO contract client that I closed last month paid their monthly recurring amount of $1,500 per month:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $17,799.33 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

jambra

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 5, 2020
United Kingdom
Hey Dan, really interesting reading your progress so far.

Do you have plans to hire employees in future or is your aim to stay solo? Apologies in advance if I missed a post on this question.

:thumbsup:

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Dan, really interesting reading your progress so far.

Do you have plans to hire employees in future or is your aim to stay solo? Apologies in advance if I missed a post on this question.

:thumbsup:

Hey man - no plans to hire someone full-time, you can scale what I'm doing pretty high without bringing on anyone else full time. I've been utilizing subcontractors and will increase that some more as I bring on more work this year. This way the costs are all variable and I'm not stuck paying someone a fixed salary if things slow down with the business.

The main goal this year is to think of the next business venture to focus on (while still running the web design/seo biz to fund my expenses).

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to share a quick overview of what I've been up to lately with the business (besides just updating revenue numbers):

• Challenging SEO Client - For the first time, I've been dealing with a client that I haven't gotten to the first page of Google results within a few months (only been about 3 at the moment). The more I'm digging into this client, my guess is that he used some type of spammy link building software in the past. The backlinks to his site are almost all garbage (the SEO course that I learned from warned me about taking on clients like this) so I'm working closely with some experts in this field to do what I can to increase those.
  • Onboarding Newest SEO Client - Really excited to this new one that I just closed. It's a competitive niche, but I'm up for the challenge and know that I'm going to work hard to make it happen. Finished up the list of keywords for them and now going to take care of the on-page SEO this week for them.
  • New SEO Client Outreach - A mastermind that I'm in that meets once a week has a member who does social media marketing and one way that she's gotten a lot of clients has surprised me. Instead of just being stubborn and deciding it wouldn't work, I decided to jump right in and try it out. Whether or not it is successful, I'll be sure to update in here how that goes.
  • Business and Personal Taxes Finished - Hiring a solid CPA has really paid off, I'm obviously not an expert but I was expecting a large tax bill, and instead, I'm actually getting a refund from the state and fed government! The CPA explained the logic and showed me the relative rules and regulations involved so I learned something new about the benefits of owning an LLC that's taxed as an S-Corp
  • Weighing My Options With Frustrating Client - I've posted about it before, but the lawyer I spoke with gave me a rough idea how much it would cost to bring this client who's refusing to pay and has been extremely condescending throughout the entire process to arbitration. He still owes me $6.4k and the costs could far exceed that (even though he'd have to pay the legal fees). Trying to decide if it's worth the time/stress/headaches, but we have a solid case. We tried for months and months to make this client happy, but his demands got more and more ridiculous as time went on. The best analogy I can give is imagine you were a mechanic and you agreed to fix an engine for X dollars. After fixing it, the customer said that X dollars was a lot of money, so therefore you need to fix the transmission, taillights, brakes, etc for no extra budget. When you tried to be reasonable, he got more and more rude and aggressive.
  • Potential New E-Commerce Client - Been going back and forth with a solid referral for a few months now that seemed like a strong lead. As I'm sure all of the veterans on here know, you need to just expect the unknown at this point when running a business. She mentioned that she may be getting laid off from her job so that may put a damper on this project or severely reduce the budget she has that we discussed. Will keep everyone posted.
Besides that, the newest financial services client is really happy, we're almost done with the website and both partners have shared really positive feedback so far. Going to optimize the site for SEO and then get that launched ASAP and also working on finishing up a few more projects to collect the remaining % of those invoices.

It's definitely a good thing that I've been so crazy busy, it's letting me take a step back and realize it's time to seriously ramp up my outsourcing and start acting as more of a business owner and less of a freelancer!

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Weighing My Options With Frustrating Client - I've posted about it before, but the lawyer I spoke with gave me a rough idea how much it would cost to bring this client who's refusing to pay and has been extremely condescending throughout the entire process to arbitration. He still owes me $6.4k and the costs could far exceed that (even though he'd have to pay the legal fees). Trying to decide if it's worth the time/stress/headaches, but we have a solid case. We tried for months and months to make this client happy, but his demands got more and more ridiculous as time went on. The best analogy I can give is imagine you were a mechanic and you agreed to fix an engine for X dollars. After fixing it, the customer said that X dollars was a lot of money, so therefore you need to fix the transmission, taillights, brakes, etc for no extra budget. When you tried to be reasonable, he got more and more rude and aggressive.

I had to take a client to court once. The amount in dispute was significantly higher, but the rest of the story was pretty similar. We ended up in arbitration. In the end, the arbiter forced us, I mean, strongly suggested to us that we settle the dispute. Lawyer says we caught "the wrong judge". Maybe we hired the wrong lawyer. Idk. I got the impression the arbiter and lawyers all wanted to get a settlement anyways. Like that's just "how it works". But this is my only such experience, so what do I know?

Point is, if you settle, "they" don't pay your legal expenses. After legal fees, we ended up collecting 30% of what was owed. I don't want to discourage you from getting what's owed to you, but you might want to discuss this possibility with your attorney. Maybe get a second opinion on the strength of your case and likelihood of settlement.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
I had to take a client to court once. The amount in dispute was significantly higher, but the rest of the story was pretty similar. We ended up in arbitration. In the end, the arbiter forced us, I mean, strongly suggested to us that we settle the dispute. Lawyer says we caught "the wrong judge". Maybe we hired the wrong lawyer. Idk. I got the impression the arbiter and lawyers all wanted to get a settlement anyways. Like that's just "how it works". But this is my only such experience, so what do I know?

Point is, if you settle, "they" don't pay your legal expenses. After legal fees, we ended up collecting 30% of what was owed. I don't want to discourage you from getting what's owed to you, but you might want to discuss this possibility with your attorney. Maybe get a second opinion on the strength of your case and likelihood of settlement.

Hey man - seriously thank you for the great and honest advice here. I have no experience in this arena so this is the feedback that I needed to hear.

I’m going to take the lawyer’s advice with a grain of salt, as of course they have a vested interest that I go forward with their services.

I’m fortunately in a place where I don’t need the money so I could just walk away. Realistically, my time is better spent focusing on getting new clients, working hard for the clients I currently have, and planning for the future instead of getting caught in the weeds with this nonsense of this super toxic client.

I’ll speak to a few people this week and figure out what makes the most sense.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hey man - seriously thank you for the great and honest advice here. I have no experience in this arena so this is the feedback that I needed to hear.

I’m going to take the lawyer’s advice with a grain of salt, as of course they have a vested interest that I go forward with their services.

I’m fortunately in a place where I don’t need the money so I could just walk away. Realistically, my time is better spent focusing on getting new clients, working hard for the clients I currently have, and planning for the future instead of getting caught in the weeds with this nonsense of this super toxic client.

I’ll speak to a few people this week and figure out what makes the most sense.

Consider small claims court. Small Claims

Max judgement of $3500 though. But less stress. But you have to do it yourself. No lawyers on either side. So no billable hours. Even if you only collect 2k, I imagine it could be worth the time investment.

You have an asset. That asset is a 6k debt. It's up to you how you want to handle that asset, but I'd suggest that walking away should be your plan C.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Realistically, my time is better spent focusing on getting new clients, working hard for the clients I currently have, and planning for the future instead of getting caught in the weeds with this nonsense of this super toxic client.

Run with this insight and don't look back!

I've skimmed these recent posts and I don't represent you and you need to talk to your own attorney blah blah blah ... but I am a former commercial litigator.

Never underestimate the amount of time, money, and frustration litigation costs. Getting to a judgment is expensive enough. Then you need to enforce it.

Even if you are getting completely screwed, try to keep your emotions out of it and try to avoid the sunk cost fallacy.

Just look at litigation costs (financial and emotional), likely outcomes, and opportunity costs.

You're owed $6k? You will never see $6k. Just go ahead and discount that to $2k right now (attorneys' fees, counterclaims, weaknesses in your case you aren't seeing, vague contractual documents, etc.). Now, ask yourself, "Is it worth the time and emotional energy this case will entail to get my $2k, or should I just serve my current clients and prospect for better ones?"

Again, I could be wrong and don't represent you. This is just my back of the envelope gut assessment having skimmed your posts. This isn't legal advice. Talk to your own attorney.

As a former litigator, I have a strong anti-litigation bias because I spent years of my life watching catastrophic amounts of time and money being wasted in litigation (and I hate waste).

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

Crazy times out there with the coronavirus seemingly getting worse and worse, this is making me so grateful to have shifted last year to add in SEO for recurring revenue. The roughly $6k per month is going to be so huge throughout however this pandemic seems to progress here in the US and globally.

Anyway, my most at risk client (an event planner) finally sent over the content so I did that one asap so that I could go live and collect the remaining 50% because I'm sure her business is going to be impacted a large amount.

Finished that up and she paid the remaining 50% ($3k more) to close this out. She's been a great client to work with and I'm going to start introducing more strategy and work to speak about SEO with her since she'd be a good fit with her industry and that it's a brand new domain/site so it'll need some traction in the beginning. She's really happy with the finished product though! Updated numbers below:

So far did around $9k in March and very good chance this is a 5 figure month, close to wrapping up another site that will bring in $3.5k remaining on that.

2020 Revenue Tracker: $20,799.33 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Last edited:

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

One of my first big SEO clients just sent me an email that as their year long contract is set to expire at the end of this month, that they'd like to go ahead and cancel the services (they were paying $1,500 per month).

I was able to really improve their rankings and get them onto the first page for the keywords we decided to target but they mentioned that they would like to reallocate that money to other parts of the business.

I was kind of expecting this to be honest, in the first 3-4 months they were very engaged and active but after that, even though I was improving their results, they would open the monthly emails but never really engaged with them.

Updated numbers below:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $20,799.33 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $4,533 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!