The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Moved to Scottsdale, Growing a Web Design Firm

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

bdb

Contributor
Nov 24, 2018
Great thread, shows how much work you need to put to get results.
You are a very hard working dude and definitely have the attitude to get there.

Thanks a lot for sharing all these details so far.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Perth
Really inspiring to read your updates in here and in the fox fb group. I'm probably 6 to 12 months behind you so need to up my game!

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Happy New Year Everyone! Received my first payment of 2020 so time to start from scratch with the new numbers and new goals below:

Before getting into that, a few quick notes:

1. I'm really excited about the results I'm getting my biggest SEO client (paying $1500 per month) - just sent them out their monthly report and they've been really happy with the work I've been providing and they've been a pleasure to work with. THESE are the clients I need to get more of. They can easily afford this budget and they are super hands off - they just let me do my thing and ask questions here and there.

2. Starting right now, I'm going to re-listen to Unscripted to get the creative juices flowing for another business goal of mine to decide and commit to an idea for my next business venture by the end of June of this year. Still absolutely no idea what it will be, but I want to make sure I'm in the right headspace when I'm choosing.

2020 Revenue Tracker: $1,500 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $3,133 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Martin.G

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
After a year that I started reading your posts, I am surprised how much you improved. This thread is a proof that hard work pays.

Reactions: Fox
OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey Everyone,

Just a few quick updates from my side for what I'm focusing on at the moment to kick things off the right way this year:

1. Newest SEO Client - Really happy with the results even after one month of SEO work for the lawyer client I picked up last month. Sent him over the monthly review and invoiced him the remaining $500 (he only paid a 1/2 deposit for the first month) and then another invoice for $1000 for the following month (and set it up with automatic billing) so once he pays, I won't have to worry about chasing for money each month. He had been burned by another SEO firm in the past so it's nice to be able to deliver here so far.

2. Building out the SEO Clients Pipeline - This week I'm going to pushing pretty aggressively with a long list of former networking connections, clients, and other personal connections I've made for any business that I know I can add value to with SEO. I have a list of around 30 individuals/businesses at the moment and I'm going to take time this week to send out a personalized outreach (whether that's a phone call or email) with the main focuses being on adding value upfront (quick free seo audit) or just genuinely reaching out to former connections I haven't caught up with in a while. I know it's beginning of the year so marketing budgets (although they may not be set yet) are being discussed and reset.

3. General Health / Balance with Work - Anyone who knows me personally knows 2019 was a strange year for me, lots of random medical issues came up... very fortunately none are long-term or serious for the future but due to surgeries, lots of tests, etc it had me staying indoors more than I'd like. I'm making it a big emphasis this year to get to a place where I can regularly go to the gym and get in better shape and be more active. I've been going to a physical therapist and have already seen some fantastic results getting rid of some chronic injuries that were keeping me out of the gym.

4. Next Business Venture - I've been re-listening to Unscripted to start getting some ideas and be in the right frame of mind to lock down my next business idea. I still have a lot of work and research to do, but I'm starting to get some criteria in my head (thanks to Unscripted) that will make it easier to filter ideas through. I will share more details once I'm able to really iron them out and start coming up with those ideas. Because this thread is available on the public side of the forum, I won't be divulging exactly what I'll be doing (I've seen too many horror stories of people unfortunately running into issues when they do that) but I'll aim to be as transparent as possible.

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Hey Isaac - Yes sir!
Wow!! I never made the connection...

Dude! Your thread has been a huge source of inspiration for me. And the whole time I had no idea!

It's taken me out of slumps countless times and I even had it bookmarked so that I would read chunks of it daily. It's what pushed me from toying with the idea to really diving in and taking action.

I'd take notes on different approaches you tried and tried it for myself. It's what motivated me to face my fears and get one of my first clients. I'd use the numbers you made to help me believe it was possible. I even read fanatical prospecting at the airport and read it in one flight because of you haha!

Thank you man. I thought you'd like to know how much your posts mean to someone like me.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Wow!! I never made the connection...

Dude! Your thread has been a huge source of inspiration for me. And the whole time I had no idea!

It's taken me out of slumps countless times and I even had it bookmarked so that I would read chunks of it daily. It's what pushed me from toying with the idea to really diving in and taking action.

I'd take notes on different approaches you tried and tried it for myself. It's what motivated me to face my fears and get one of my first clients. I'd use the numbers you made to help me believe it was possible. I even read fanatical prospecting at the airport and read it in one flight because of you haha!

Thank you man. I thought you'd like to know how much your posts mean to someone like me.
Really appreciate the kind words man, I'm glad that it helped out. It's a huge help to me too to keep myself accountable and put my thoughts into words to organize everything when there are a million things happening at once.

I see you're in CA - if you're ever in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area shoot me a message and we'll have to grab a drink or a coffee sometime.

Isaac Oh

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Really appreciate the kind words man, I'm glad that it helped out. It's a huge help to me too to keep myself accountable and put my thoughts into words to organize everything when there are a million things happening at once.

I see you're in CA - if you're ever in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area shoot me a message and we'll have to grab a drink or a coffee sometime.
I'll definitely hit you up if I'm in the area

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey Everyone,

I've been pretty sick the last few days and although that usually accompanies being miserable, this is the first time I've had one of these typical fever/coughing/fatigue illnesses since I started this business over 2 years ago, and it's making me extremely grateful that I'm out of the Corporate America lifestyle that I remember with this.

When I lived in NYC, it wasn't hard to imagine that between the brutal weather, taking the subway and being exposed to all of those people I passed everyday, and the stress of working crazy hours... I used to get illnesses like these all the time, and it was so damn frustrating when my management would never let us work from home, although everything we needed to do could be done remotely.

I always joked that DayQuil should get a sponsorship from the big investment banks as their official drink... it was insane the toxic culture that was created where people HAD to come into work sick as a dog because it hurt their potential promotions, bonuses, future at the company because they were seen as lazy or not a team player if they worked from home... God forbid they actually took a sick day.

Anyway, I went to the doctor yesterday and got a good laugh when she asked if I needed a note to take a few days off of work.

I feel just so grateful and fortunate that I'm in a spot now where I have the freedom that I thought was impossible just a few years ago. I still have a long, long way to go, but it's been a nice moment to look back and see how far I've gotten from those toxic environments.

Still in rough shape, but feeling good enough to get back to working full days again so I'm jumping back in to continue to work on current projects and to build out that pipeline for more SEO clients. Will keep everyone posted.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Katherine

Contributor
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
Hey Everyone,

I've been pretty sick the last few days and although that usually accompanies being miserable, this is the first time I've had one of these typical fever/coughing/fatigue illnesses since I started this business over 2 years ago, and it's making me extremely grateful that I'm out of the Corporate America lifestyle that I remember with this.

When I lived in NYC, it wasn't hard to imagine that between the brutal weather, taking the subway and being exposed to all of those people I passed everyday, and the stress of working crazy hours... I used to get illnesses like these all the time, and it was so damn frustrating when my management would never let us work from home, although everything we needed to do could be done remotely.

I always joked that DayQuil should get a sponsorship from the big investment banks as their official drink... it was insane the toxic culture that was created where people HAD to come into work sick as a dog because it hurt their potential promotions, bonuses, future at the company because they were seen as lazy or not a team player if they worked from home... God forbid they actually took a sick day.

Anyway, I went to the doctor yesterday and got a good laugh when she asked if I needed a note to take a few days off of work.

I feel just so grateful and fortunate that I'm in a spot now where I have the freedom that I thought was impossible just a few years ago. I still have a long, long way to go, but it's been a nice moment to look back and see how far I've gotten from those toxic environments.

Still in rough shape, but feeling good enough to get back to working full days again so I'm jumping back in to continue to work on current projects and to build out that pipeline for more SEO clients. Will keep everyone posted.
Take care! Health is wealth too. No health no wealth.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey Everyone,

Received a few payments from current recurring clients so updating the numbers below! Finally feeling better too and back on my feet so nice to be back at it.

-Newest SEO client paid the $1000 he owes for this upcoming month of work and the remaining $500 from the first month (we agreed to split the first month 50/50 and now it's the full 1k upfront at the start of each month).

-A recurring client paying $333 per month paid automatically as well too.

2020 Revenue Tracker: $3,333 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey All,

Quick update to the numbers below. A $100 per month maintenance and $200 per month SEO reporting client paid in the last few days. Lots of updates to provide, but I'll go into those in a longer post.

Been putting in the effort every day since the start of the year to work on bringing on new SEO clients and get the recurring revenue side of the business increased.

Additionally, working hard to close out the outstanding payments I have from clients of around $14k right now from pending projects (two big projects are almost completely finished, just wrapping up some last minute things).

2020 Revenue Tracker: $3,633 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey Dan,

Have all of your clients been referrals?
Hey man, there have been a lot of referrals and that was most of the business I did last year but there were plenty of new clients from:

-Professional Networking
-Cold Outreach
-Personal Connections

Reactions: Fox

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 3, 2018
Hey man, there have been a lot of referrals and that was most of the business I did last year but there were plenty of new clients from:

-Professional Networking
-Cold Outreach
-Personal Connections
Networking groups like BNI?
What kind of cold outreach? Cold calling? Cold emailing?

Congrats on your revenue goals!

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Networking groups like BNI?
What kind of cold outreach? Cold calling? Cold emailing?

Congrats on your revenue goals!
From my experience networking is a great way to jump start a business but once you have a decent amount of referral partners, it can be difficult to keep up that schedule and do a lot.

With my business, I’m not just doing sales but also doing a decent amount of the production work too so there just isn’t enough hours in the week so I scaled back on networking last year.

I’ve just been going to a once a week one that’s kinda like BNI but not nearly as strict with attendance.

For cold outreach, the only bit I still do is very infrequent and highly targeted cold emails with personalized SEO audits that offer a lot of upfront value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
New Course! Upwork Client Psychology I #UdemyApproved! Upwork Client Psychology I is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom