The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Moved to Scottsdale, Growing a Web Design Firm

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey All,

Been offline for a while resting up after the surgery... seemed to have gone well just hoping to rest up from it and have no complications in the future. Got a few leads from referrals that I need to follow up with and also need to reach out to other leads that I had in my pipeline for potential SEO clients to ramp up outreach/bringing on new clients again.

I received some monthly recurring payments too so wanted to update the numbers below (monthly clients that are signed up to pay for $1500, 1500, 333.33, and 1000).

2020 Revenue Tracker: $43,198.99 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $9,033 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

H0bG0blin

New Contributor
Apr 25, 2020
UK
Good to hear that the surgery went well and that you are resting up. Im sure you will be back to the hustle in no time.

Your thread has provided a lot of inspiration as well as some great pointers, so just wanted to show some appreciation. Heres to your speedy recovery and you being able to reach your targets this year!

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey All,

Haven't posted as frequently as I'd like to - the quick update is that it seems like the recovery is still on the right track and I've been really busy with all of the new clients I brought on last month + delivering for the existing clients. I started to outsource Month 1 of SEO (which is the biggest headache month and the most time consuming) so really excited about that.

The creator of the course that I learned SEO from has been using the 3rd party company for all of his clients for 10+ years to do Month 1 of SEO so it's great to get that solid recommendation.

It's been tricky and a lot of long nights, but it's fantastic that I'm basically forcing myself to build a system as I can't physically do all of the work myself. Still a decent ways to go, but already I've found trusted partners to offload a decent amount of the work to, so in the spirit of treating this as a business owner and not as a freelancer, I've made the following changes with my process:
  • For any new website design project that comes in, I'm going to basically act a project manager and outsource all work, whether it's a simple site or a complex e-commerce platform
  • I will be outsourcing all Month 1 work for SEO clients (on-page SEO, mainly)
  • A friend of mine who is fantastic at Google Ads agreed to manage my ads for free (I'm just paying the ad budget for the actual Ads platform)... set a budget of $500 per month and already landed that $2k per month client from it. This is going to save me time doing less personalized outreach. This and referrals have been my main source of leads at the moment.
Here's a quick update to the numbers... it's crazy to see that it's only June and I've already almost surpassed all of the revenue I made last year - big things coming!

2020 Revenue Tracker: $46,949.99 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $9,033 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Looking at your goals Dan and the current figures it looks like you are right on 100k if nothing else changes. So to hit the overall goals you only need to create 50k of additional income on top of that.

If that was fully linear it would take around an extra 2-2.5k of reoccurring SEO income each month stacked up on top of each other to hit 150k.

But I think you can do this a lot faster when you get things ready so you can sell nearly fulltime. I really hope this outsourcing goes well first time around so you can step it up as fast as possible.

Keep on the systems for now even if the initial gains aren't there right away (but hopefully they are). As soon as you can focus your efforts fulltime on selling/relationship building the progress will be massive.

Can't wait! Great work man - especially on top of what has been going on.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Looking at your goals Dan and the current figures it looks like you are right on 100k if nothing else changes. So to hit the overall goals you only need to create 50k of additional income on top of that.

If that was fully linear it would take around an extra 2-2.5k of reoccurring SEO income each month stacked up on top of each other to hit 150k.

But I think you can do this a lot faster when you get things ready so you can sell nearly fulltime. I really hope this outsourcing goes well first time around so you can step it up as fast as possible.

Keep on the systems for now even if the initial gains aren't there right away (but hopefully they are). As soon as you can focus your efforts fulltime on selling/relationship building the progress will be massive.

Can't wait! Great work man - especially on top of what has been going on.
Hey man - thanks for the feedback and advice here. Including a few different updates below since I last posted:

• Went to my surgeon for another follow up (last one) and he said that everything was healing right and basically that I'm all set with no restrictions so that was a huge relief. Still will be a little beat up for a few more weeks, but nothing too bad and slowly getting back into normal activities.

• One of my SEO clients I brought on earlier this year... after working for a few months with them, I found out they paid another SEO company last year and they did some insanely shady stuff that really hurt their rankings. To keep it simple, they legitimately just copy and pasted content from the highest ranking competitor and changed the company names. I had an honest conversation with the owner that he needed to strip the site and start from scratch because not only was it bad SEO, but I'm pretty sure he could get in legal trouble for that. I offered to put together a simpler site for them and he agreed at the same rate I was charging for SEO, but he became a big hassle to deal with. Kept saying he didn't like the style of it and he eventually said a friend would make the site for him for free. He asked to pause the SEO services and said we can start back up again when the site is ready (not sure if that will happen to be honest, but that was a difficult client to work with so I'm not too upset about losing it temporarily). Lowering the monthly recurring below by $1k per month.

• Have a really promising financial services company I've been speaking with based in Chicago that may lead to an SEO deal shortly and I met in person with a local financial company here in Scottsdale today from an introduction from a friend. Both businesses seem like solid connections to have and would be great clients to work with so I'm just focusing on moving those forward in the right direction to set up more sales.

• Quick milestone - so far at the end of June of 2020, I've almost made as much money in 6 months in 2020 as I did in all of 2019, so it's been great to see that positive momentum with my business. Just going to try to put my head down and work my a$$ off, focus on building systems so that I can keep bringing on new clients and work to scale this. The focus in 2020 has been treating this as a business and not just as a freelancer.
I haven't updated the revenue numbers in a while, so this is including some one-off projects for current clients billed hourly and a few other one-offs for the business:

2020 Revenue Tracker: $49,199.98 Revenue / $150,000 Goal

Monthly Recurring Revenue: $8,033 Per Month / $15,000 Per Month Goal

Bentorq

New Contributor
Feb 2, 2020
Amazing success - I am at the start of my journey and struggling to find any potential clients. Mainly tried cold email and social DMs. Guess I need to pick up the phone and keep plugging away.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Love your 2020 revenue tracker and your process since you started this thread! Keep cranking. If you can thrive during this downturn, imagine what you can do when everyone is spending money again! Keep pressing.

BizyDad

Know Thyself
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I hope you know how much you inspire others on the journey. I haven't kept on the reading, but I'm glad it sounds like you are on the mend.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
I really like your "nose to the grindstone" approach. Take action and keep cranking!

This is what it takes...
Thanks Steve! It was great to meet you at the summit, you'll have to let me know next time you're in the Scottsdale area - hope all is well with you and the family

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Amazing success - I am at the start of my journey and struggling to find any potential clients. Mainly tried cold email and social DMs. Guess I need to pick up the phone and keep plugging away.
Hey man - in the beginning it's really just about not raising flags that people see as spammy (impersonal cold emails, DMs in their inbox, etc) and to build as much trust as possible to make your outreach more time efficient (reach out to local businesses, industries where you've had experience in, personal connections you know, etc).

Best of luck!

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Love your 2020 revenue tracker and your process since you started this thread! Keep cranking. If you can thrive during this downturn, imagine what you can do when everyone is spending money again! Keep pressing.
Thanks Vigilante! It's been a strange mixed bag - at first I figured every industry would be scaling back, but it seems like certain industries are putting a lot of money into digital marketing with other more traditional in-person events not available. It's been a good lesson in adjusting to changing times though.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
I hope you know how much you inspire others on the journey. I haven't kept on the reading, but I'm glad it sounds like you are on the mend.
Thanks man, appreciate the kind words here. Hope that you're doing well - once the pandemic is slowing down we'll have to get our AZ fastlane monthly meetups going again.

OP
OP
GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Scottsdale
Hey All,

I want to hold myself accountable to a 2020 goal that I didn't meet. At the beginning of the year, I said by June 30th, I would have my next business idea that I would 100% commit to and start executing on.

There are a million excuses I could use to say why I didn't complete this, but what's the point of goals if you don't hold yourself accountable, regardless of what's happening in the outside world. Instead of beating myself up over it (since I know that isn't productive), I'm going to use it as an opportunity to hit the reset button and think about why I didn't hit this goal and learn how to adjust going forward so that I can be more decisive on what the next move is for me.

What I can improve on to pick out the next business venture that I want to pursue (whether that's e-commerce, a SaaS company, etc):

• I'm spending too much time working as a freelancer in my business at the moment. Fortunately, over the last month or so I've started outsourcing and giving up the reigns as I've had the budget to start handing off work to other individuals/3rd party companies who can help with tedious parts of web design & SEO. Of course with the main focus being not losing the quality and the results I've been getting for my clients. I need to continue with this trend and get my time back so that I can have capacity to work on the next venture.

• I didn't make it a priority - at first I was just trying to survive what I assumed would be a tough few months with the pandemic, but when business started really taking off, then I was overwhelmed with the amount of work on my plate. This was because I didn't have those systems in place to hand off work. I'm going to dedicate time each day (I think I'll block off a certain part of my schedule) to do research into what I feel would be the best next step for me. I feel like there's so much amazing info on the inside and gold threads that I could start with those and work to leverage the skills I've gained running this business to jump into a new venture/area.

• I'm not being proactive enough - one client I recently brought on told me that he's sold 3 businesses (one to a publicly-traded company) and him and his wife basically started this real estate business because they're bored (which I'm helping with SEO). I know times are different now, but I need to be proactive and find a way to sit down and learn from people like this in my life who have so much amazing info to share. After the fastlane summit, I joined a fantastic mastermind with a bunch of other members and we've all seen fantastic progress so far so that's definitely been a great positive.
I'm going to grab a new notebook, spend some time each day and just start formulating ideas. From what I've seen/learned from the summit and all of the successful members on the forum... the key is not trying to perfect everything and just taking action, so I'm asking that you guys can keep me accountable if I'm wasting too much time coming up/executing on an idea. Appreciate all of the help and feedback as always!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi guys, I repost here my old review with a small update : Feb 2020 : Hi guys, Just wanted...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock