The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Most practical college major for an entrepreneur?

MVProduct

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Dec 12, 2013
Hi all,

I'm 22M. A year ago, I dropped out of business school to pursue my own startup. I can't say my startup has taken off yet- but I'm still working on it. It definitely hasn't reached the point where I've been able to generate enough income to live off it- but I suppose that's the 'ultimate' goal.

I've read around 70 books this past year (and have taken comprehensive notes on each one). I learned a lot during this period about startups/business/life/productivity in general.

Anyhow, out of pressure from my parents, I'm now looking at applying to a college program and trying to decide on a major. I'd like to get your insight as to which option you think might be best for me.

My possible options include:
  • Something design-related. I do love design, good UX/UI, and I'm not bad in Photoshop. Always thought I was better at design than at coding.
  • Something marketing-related. I would probably learn about branding, marketing strategy, etc.
  • Something in the field of advertising / copywriting.
Thing about the above 3 options is- each one is highly exploitable. You can freelance and sell services online. That's a factor I'm considering in this decision.

Another factor is- these 3 majors are completely relevant to startups/businesses. I'd love to continue building startups/businesses as my career, but I'm running out of cash and I need an income. Hence, this thread. FYI: Parents are paying for my schooling.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Triston

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Aug 6, 2015
Lake Elsinore, CA
I would recommend a major in product design with a possible minor in business.

Product design overall can be beneficial to anyone. It has to do with transmuting an intangible idea into a usable asset.

It simply teaches one how to spot an issue in society, come up with ideas on how to fix or improve upon that issue, and in the end developing an actual, tangible product that incorporates those ideas.

Coach Shane

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jul 8, 2015
Hi all,

I'm 22M. A year ago, I dropped out of business school to pursue my own startup. I can't say my startup has taken off yet- but I'm still working on it. It definitely hasn't reached the point where I've been able to generate enough income to live off it- but I suppose that's the 'ultimate' goal.

I've read around 70 books this past year (and have taken comprehensive notes on each one). I learned a lot during this period about startups/business/life/productivity in general.

Anyhow, out of pressure from my parents, I'm now looking at applying to a college program and trying to decide on a major. I'd like to get your insight as to which option you think might be best for me.

My possible options include:
  • Something design-related. I do love design, good UX/UI, and I'm not bad in Photoshop. Always thought I was better at design than at coding.
  • Something marketing-related. I would probably learn about branding, marketing strategy, etc.
  • Something in the field of advertising / copywriting.
Thing about the above 3 options is- each one is highly exploitable. You can freelance and sell services online. That's a factor I'm considering in this decision.

Another factor is- these 3 majors are completely relevant to startups/businesses. I'd love to continue building startups/businesses as my career, but I'm running out of cash and I need an income. Hence, this thread. FYI: Parents are paying for my schooling.

You won't learn much if you major in marketing/advertising/copywriting...that is, NOTHING like you would in OJT. Start a blog about something you like and see if you can people to follow you...sell magazine subscriptions...hell, join AMWAY!

If I "had to go to school again", I would major in "the language of business"...AKA accounting. I know...BORING! Now, as an older man, I'd love to go to school and study history and maybe something like nutrition. Why? I love the subjects and I see SO many possible ways to make money in those two fields. Study something you like and make it work for you!

Good luck,
Shane

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Marketing

Business Information Systems/Business Informatics

Business Intelligence

I think something to do with biz and tech will always be helpful.

Behavioral Economics, Psychology related to business etc.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Out of pressure of your parents you are looking to waste time and money? All this while your startup is dying?
You lack mental fortitude and focus on your goals. That's all you need a course in.
Let me make a point to you: a college degree is a piece of papers for employers to jerk off on. If you are not going to work as an employee (even consultants don't need college), you don't need college. Decide. Go all the way. No half measures.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Read through the hustle threads and GET TO WORK. Quit half assing. You either are an entrepreneur or you are not. Pick a direction and apply yourself.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
I would get a sales job.

Easily transferable skill in everyday activities.

College is overrated if you already possess the necessary traits.

Some people need college to continue their education because they can't learn themselves. But I see that you've read a shit ton of books and haven't had any measure of success in terms of application?

My advice is to start doing things. Action action action. Get into a sales job to learn how to sell. Learn copywriting. Learn how to interact with customers. Learn how to sell to different people. All of these things will only help you sell your product/business.

BKMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Feb 18, 2014
Totally agree with everyone else. Only thing I can think of college is good for is creating contacts, but contacts can be created in may other ways as well. I would get a sales job and learn to manipulate people. Learn NLP and this alone will change your life forever.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.