The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Here's what I have for day 3:

5 Products
  1. A Set of Non-Stick Pans
  2. A Fat Loss Guide/Book
  3. A Sandwich Maker
  4. Car Tires
  5. A GPS Tracked Bag
5 Headlines
  1. Food Shouldn't Stick to The Pan - Here's the Solution
  2. Say Goodbye to the 'Dad Bod'
  3. Learn How to Make Quick, Hot, Tasty Meals
  4. Worn Tires Endanger Your Family - Get a Set Of Durable Tires
  5. Never Lose Your Luggage in The Airport Ever Again
The Short Description for Product 4
Think about it, cars with worn tires are more likely to slip. Cars that slip get into accidents. You don't want to put your family in danger, but tires get worn fast.

If you buy our tires now you can be content in the fact that our tires last 40.000 miles. That's double the average. Buy a set before Friday and we'll change yours for FREE.

1. This one is good.
2. This one is cliche (meaning I've seen that statement a 1,000 times before)
3. Too vague. You can probably shorten it and make it even better.
4. Still too vague and not serious enough. People endanger their family every day when they drive recklessly. What they need to think about is how worn tires can explode instantaneously, leading to rollovers and death. You have to say these things because people don't fill in the blanks with scary pictures like that. People fill in ugly blanks with not ugly things. "Endanger" to them means "something bad might happen to someone else, but probably not me."
5. Another cliche phrase. Probably need to include something about "How" this is accomplished. Or expand on it by saying, "Even If the Airport Tries to Lose it For You."

Your short description, just like your headlines, needs to get very specific and more detailed about the dangers of the problem. If your doctor says "eating ice cream could put you in danger of weight gain, or heart disease soon," you'll still eat ice cream. If the doctor says, "If you eat another spoonful of ice cream, you'll sleep in a cold grave by the end of the week," you'll take him more seriously.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi All!,
I was hoping to get some critique on my copy here. I'm certainly open to all opinions of help and value, but do keep in mind this is onlr my THIRD piece of copy...for anything to do with copy. The excerpt is in regards to a jacket I have listed and am selling. Figured since I'm doing Lex's course I mine as well incorporate it immediately and apply it to my products :) Thanks all!!!

"Finally, a “One and Done” winter jacket. The *Insert Jacket Name* is an absolutely PHENOMENAL piece of equipment. If you’re looking for an expertly crafted jacket to endure any type of cold environment whether it be mildly chilly or arctic worthy, then look no further than the *Insert Jacket Name*.

Built with superb comfort in mind, climbing into this jacket is like being wrapped up in your favorite blanket at home with a hearty fire crackling nearby. It instills a feeling of being bundled securely and snuggly, especially with having 50D RipStop Polyester for the exterior fabric.

You are getting a fantastic deal on this item and I know you WILL NOT be disappointed. This is the only one currently in stock and you can’t find this jacket for sale anywhere else. They’re all SOLD OUT!!! Add this to your “Watch List” and get ready to put your bid in ASAP. This item is only up for sale til January 5th, 2018 so don’t miss out on your ONLY opportunity to get this spectacular jacket!"

Good try. Glad you're making it through the training!

To me this sounds like stereotypical copy (what you might call cliche). A lot of the copy training out there teaches you to use things like "Finally!" or "One and Done" but these are overused statements that don't produce that feeling of authenticity so many people are searching for these days. Modifiers like "superb" also taking away from the experience. To enhance this you'd want to describe what makes the product superb or in what way it is comfortable. This is the difference between telling and showing.

If your customer is truly getting a fantastic deal, they'll know it. They won't need you to tell them how fantastic it is. If you tell them it's fantastic, you'll set off their skeptic alarms and send them running for the hills. Again, this is another opportunity to show vs. tell. What makes it a fantastic deal? How will they not be disappointed? Who has worn this jacket? What material is it made of? What makes other people want it, and how will owning it make the customer superior to his friends or colleagues? These are the kind of questions that, if you find answers for, will trigger their interest and get them to buy.

;)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Guys,

I have two questions.
1. I am noticing the use of bolding in some of the copy you guys are writing. Is this typical in writing copy? And what is it use (emphasis?)

2. I was thinking about getting the balls to reach out and offer my copy services. However, I don't feel confident in being good, yet. Have any of you done a job and a person disliked it? What did you do then? Offer to revise it or just give a refund?

Hey NewManRising,

Bold is used in copy to emphasize a point or make something stand out (basically the same as its traditional purpose). There's a lot of bold in my writing in this thread because I wrote it several years ago when I was finding my personal style. I don't use it as much now because when you write engaging copy people read your words. Too much bold can overwhelm readers and get on their nerves.

I've done plenty of jobs people didn't like. Most often it happens because the client's expectations are different from my own. If they expect a natural voice and you give them direct response style, they won't be very happy. The easiest way to avoid that problem is to discuss the copy before you get started. Talk in chat or via email or a phone call. Then send a client questionnaire and ask any questions you need clarification on to help you write for them.

In the past I gave refunds when a client didn't like my work. Today I give revision rounds. The thing about copywriting is, conversion copy isn't written for clients. It's crafted for their customers. I do my best to write copy that fits client expectations AND converts, and if I deliver a draft and the client doesn't like it, then they can have a couple of revision rounds and I'll make adjustments. But they're still going to pay because I did the work.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The best way to improve with content is direct market feedback. So I'd start by getting that content in front of people.
This is what I’ve found personally. If you forget about “content marketing” and just “help people” then everything seems to fall into place.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
In regards to selling copywriting services specifically... I've come up with the following:

Who? Business owners.

What? They want good work.

Why? They want to make money.

I'm not quite sure if I'm doing this part right. Is anyone else having trouble with this?

What product do you want to sell? If the product is your copywriting services, then you need to get more specific with your audience. "Business owners" is a broad category, and that means you'll never know what they want because there are hundreds of millions of business owners in different industries with different problems who want different things.

"Criminal Defense Attorneys" is specific. A specific type of person in a specific industry who does a specific job and has specific problems to solve.

Clients don't hire copywriters to get "good work." They hire copywriters because they hope a magic fingers word smith will turn on the money faucet. Or because they suck at turning thoughts into creative ideas.

Sometimes they hire copywriters because they don't have time to write their own copy, or because they want to outsource and scale or because they don't know what they don't know and they need professional help.

It's not just about making money. It's about not making money because X. Sometimes it's not about making money at all. In any case the client hopes to solve for X by hiring a copywriter. You have to figure out what X is for your specific client (and for their audience later on).

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Thanks so much for this man. You're seriously a great person. This is going hand-in-hand with my typing skills. I just got a transcription job lined up and I am learning content/copywriting and in a few days I'll start applying for some of these jobs as well after I practice a bit, using some of the guidelines from here.

Keep doing what you do :)

Thomas1980

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 26, 2014
Day 4 | Mindset Lesson 2
The Universe Rewards...

View attachment 9433
What makes Agent 47 so incredibly lethal? Is it his weapons? His fighting skills? Is it the fact he's a genetically engineered killing machine?

No, no & no.

So, how did he become unstoppable? How is it possible for him to defeat countless enemies and impossible odds, constantly achieving his goals, and delivering for the client?

It's because he takes action.

Agent 47 could have trained forever. He could have become the most knowledgeable theoretical tactician on the planet, but without action he'd be useless to everyone. Instead he utilizes his fundamental knowledge of battle on the battlefield, and comes out on top every time.

He takes action, gets feedback, and adjusts as he goes.

He ALWAYS presses forward.

He is the aggressor, not the victim, and that makes all the difference.

Theory is great, but without action it's worth nothing. This is true no matter what business you're in, and especially true for copywriters.

This is why I didn't take the Gary Halbert challenge.

You can write 10,000 sales letters by hand, read every book on copy, and have all the theoretical knowledge in the world, but if you never take action and implement that knowledge you will NOT be a copywriter. You'll just be someone who knows a lot about copy.

There's a HUGE difference between calling yourself a thing, and actually being a thing.

This difference separates the men from the boys. The elite from the unexceptional. The winners from the losers.

It's what makes it possible for companies like Nike, Apple, & Chevy to constantly increase their profits while emptying your pockets.

Think about it. The last time you bought a car, what factors did you consider? The looks? The style? The way other people would look at you when you were driving it around? The way it made you feel like a badass?

The masses buy ideas. They buy feelings. They buy emotion. They buy identification. They want the thing without the process, and that's why they never get it.

Many "entrepreneurs" do the same. That's why MJ calls them "wantrapreneurs". They want the end result, but they aren't willing to take action to get it. They fool themselves into believing they're changing their lives, when what they're really doing is spinning their tires.

Either you are a thing or you aren't, and if you aren't taking the scary actions then you probably aren't.

But, how do you know if you're really taking action?

Ask yourself these questions:
- How many books/blogs/articles have I read that I actually used to earn a real dollar?
- How many times have I actually applied my knowledge toward making money?
- How many times have I actually tried and failed?
- How many websites have I built that actually got a product live?
- How many blogs have I actually contacted to promote my idea?
- How many books have I actually published?
- How many businesses have I actually called?
- How many cover letters have I actually submitted?
- How many clients have I actually spoken to?

Ask yourself "How many" questions first. If you answer with a number less than 1 then you are action faking.

Once you realize you're guilty of action faking, then it's time to ask the next question...

What specifically is stopping me from taking action?
- Fear
- Uncertainty
- Doubt

All of these are excuses, and I guarantee one of these is the answer to your question.

But here's the thing...

Fear, uncertainty, doubt & excuses are only roadblocks. They cannot actually stop you from taking action if you choose to take action. So, once you acknowledge that you're experiencing fear and making excuses, then the only thing left to do is choose to take action. ANY ACTION.

Pick an action and GO.

The Universe Rewards Action.

And until you start taking action, you aren't going to get results. That means ANY action. Even if you don't know what action to take. You've got to take some action, or else you can't get feedback to improve!

Maybe a website isn't where you should start. How will you know until you try and fail?

Maybe your cover letter sucks balls. How will you know until you try and get denied?

Maybe your business idea is the worst on the planet, but...

What if it isn't?

There's only one way to get feedback. You have to do something.

Cause and effect only works with both ingredients. If you take out cause, you don't have effect.

Things don't just happen, and until you fully accept and embrace the action mindset, you won't get the results you want.

Action is how you stomp out fear.

Action is how you crush your doubts.

Action is how you put foot to a$$ and get everything you've ever desired.

Now Quit Wasting Time & Take Action!

Day 4 Challenge

1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone no matter how big or small. Don't ask for anything in return.

2. Write 5 Headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP.

3. Write 10 sentences utilizing the influential words from Influence Lesson 1. Make sure you write sentences from all three influential time periods. No need to post them here. This is an exercise for yourself, and if you don't do it, you don't hurt anyone but yourself.

4. Figure out what the 1 action is that you've been putting off and do it. If you're trying to get freelance gigs and are afraid you don't have experience, submit your cover letter and see what happens. If you're thinking of cold calling local shops to pitch websites, then do it, and get real results. Whatever 1 thing you've been putting off due to fear, or lack of motivation, or whatever else, just F*cking do it.

If you just do the thing you're afraid of doing instead of telling me "I've got this problem, I don't think I have enough experience etc..." then you will actually get results instead of getting my opinion, which is that you should do it and get results!!!

Stop wasting your time. Stop wasting mine.

TAKE ACTION. GET RESULTS.
ADJUST FIRE. SHOOT AGAIN.
ACCOMPLISH YOUR MISSION.

That's it for the second mindset lesson. Just take action.
Make a habit of taking real action toward your
goals, and you'll quickly experience huge
changes in your life. When you're
ready, continue on to Day 5
Technique Lesson

"You can write 10,000 sales letters by hand, read every book on copy, and have all the theoretical knowledge in the world, but if you never take action and implement that knowledge you will NOT be a copywriter. You'll just be someone who knows a lot about copy."

You're speaking to me right there! I'm completely new to copywriting so I decided to buy two books on Amazon. I wanted to get the basics down before I began this new journey in copywriting. I KNOW I should jump right in, but I would like to get more practice in before I begin.

Question - how long did it take for you to develop your writing style? If my writing were anywhere near as impressive as yours, I would've jumped into copywriting a long time ago.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
You're the real deal Lex.

I find myself having to keep in mind that you've only been on ODesk for what, 2 months?

But, what's more important than my personal opinion is the feedback from people like you that lets me know the style didn't have the intended effect.

Statements like that remind us the qualities of "amazing successful people".

Not only are you an extremely great writer, your humble.

You "get it".

I take my hat off to you.

STOP! Want to learn how to get your second paying job on ODesk within 2 days like I did?

It's simple, read more about @SinisterLex

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
Completed Day 7

1. Close your eyes and imagine the life you want to have. See the cars, houses, food, and whatever else you want to have when you've finally made it. Now blow that picture up, and put yourself in it as if it were already your reality, and just allow yourself to experience it. Experience the sights, sounds smells. Take it all in. This is your vision.

2. Take one action that moves you toward that vision

3. Do all the other steps from yesterday's challenge, only this time do it from a position of power, as you now understand your vision. Don't just go through the motions. Do it with the knowledge of what your future holds if you take this serious RIGHT NOW.

1. Close your eyes and imagine the life you want to have.
I've always been a fan of freedom. I basically imaged a life where I make steady passive income and have enough to pursue all of the crazy shit I want to do.

I imagined living in a nice house, having a nice car(not sure what kind yet) and pictured as vividly as possible doing things like shooting guns, doing donuts in cars, skydiving, just chilling and playing video games.

To me, these things represent freedom. What's the point of making money tons of money if you don't have time to enjoy the things you can buy? That's what the fastlane is all about, time and freedom.

I loved this exercise, I think I'll start doing it every morning.

2. Take one action that moves you toward that vision
chart.jpg
I know this chart is hard to see. It has 25 ticks marked 'days' at the bottom. On the left there are increments of $100.
At the bottom, it says 'make $1000'. That's my goal.
Every day I mark how much progress I made.

If I take action, the bars get higher. If I don't, they don't move an inch. The chart doesn't lie.

This is basically a reminder that I should be improving my craft and providing value. It's right in front of my face pretty much the whole day. A constant reminder.

The idea is to make my first $1000 as soon as possible. No excuses. I got this.

3. Do all the other steps from yesterday's challenge

I did a pretty lengthy copy, weaved influence in and prompted action. I don't want to insert it here since it's long so if anyone wants to see it I'll provide a link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ozq0zqvhxnjk-MCk6Bi75At7pF7a_w2R3G72QzlcDJc/edit?usp=sharing

I love the idea of having a visual representation of progress. I encourage others to do the same, whatever that may be.

EDIT: Formatting

Last edited:

Yumms

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Feb 5, 2015
Living out of my car
Rep given. Thanks for this! JUST what I needed. Ive begun, today. This looks like an extremely useful skill set, and a wonderful way to live.

Ive begun Day #1, tutoring people online. Rather than start my own progress thread, Ill check in now and again to lavish praise and keep this discussion moving.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thanks Yumms,

I still have 1 post to write, just been swamped the past few days, but I'll get there eventually haha.

Glad to read you're starting. That's the only way to start!

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Day 7 | Mindset Lesson 3
How to be a Lord of the Sith.

Find your vision and build an empire!

How many of you have watched Star Wars?

Probably all of you.

But, have you ever read the books?

I've read a couple, but only one series ever made an impact on my life, and it wasn't about hoity-toity Jedi winning battles against the empire.

Instead it was about an extremely driven man who started from nothing, fought his way out of a hole, and finally found & embraced his vision.

From the ashes of the mining planet, Apatros, Dessel realizes he doesn't want to be like all the other loser miners who've fallen victim to fate. Instead, he sees greatness in his future, and he's willing to take action to get it!
In short, he finds his vision.

So, the first thing he does is forces his way off the guarded planet.

Dessel Took Action!

He doesn't know it at the time, but that one action, based on his vision, sets a massive chain of events in motion that will eventually lead to the greatness he seeks.

Once off the planet he goes on to join the Sith Army where he becomes a total badass, and gets all his troops to love him. Later he gets in trouble for punching an officer who's decision would have got them all killed.

Instead of following orders, he follows his intuition and ends up winning a crucial battle with his troops.

Again Dessel Took Action!

His actions later land him in jail, but his military prowess didn't go unnoticed. Quite the opposite.

A Sith Lord named Kopecz summons him, and all of a sudden instead of just being a troop, he's being offered training in the ways of the dark side.

Taking action landed him his first real connection!

Understanding that he's going through a transformation, he takes a new name, Bane, and starts his training.

At first a lot of shit holds him back, and he's the weakest of all the Sith students. He's suffers epic defeat several times, and finally loses sight of his vision and fails completely.

Luckily, several events happen that bring Bane's vision back to the forefront of his mind, and he picks himself up again, and drives on. He soon realizes that all the Sith around him aren't as powerful as he thought.

He starts to see through the bullshit, and starts to realize that they're all a bunch of wannabes. Then he understands that he can rule them all.

Now Bane Has Extreme Clarity on His Vision!

Undergoing another transformation, he trains harder than ever before and soon becomes unstoppably powerful. He enjoys several victories, and assumes the in-your-face title, Darth Bane.

Darth Bane is ruthless and accepts NO excuse. The others may not care about results, but he knows results are everything! So, he acts on his vision again and soon transforms into the most powerful, intelligent Sith Lord the universe has ever known.

Using his strength of will, cunning, and battle intuition... He crushes them all!!!

The other 2 books in the series follow Darth Bane as he continues taking action and rising to unlimited power. There are many road blocks along the way, but he simply crushes that shit one at a time, until there's literally nothing that can stop him.

It All Started With a Vision!

Darth Bane doesn't give a shit about goals!

Goals are not the outcome!

Goals are small things we need to meet in order to achieve our vision, but even when we fail at meeting goals, we can still achieve that vision.

One of the biggest problems with focusing on goals is that we only take steps that get us to the outcome of those goals.

For instance, if my goal is to make 10 dollars this week, and I actually hit that goal... then what?!

I don't know wtf to do with myself because that was my goal. I didn't have a vision. There was nothing beyond the $10.

When we operate from a vision we see the bigger picture. We see the life we want to have. The culmination of all our goals realized.Then we take actions that move us closer to that vision, instead of just closer to achieving our goals.

When we do this, we take WAY BIGGER, WAY MORE POWERFUL ACTIONS.

And those actions lead to WAY BIGGER, WAY BETTER RESULTS!

Maybe being the Lord of the Sith isn't the prettiest title, and maybe others will tell it's impossible or that you you're a moron for thinking you can have it all...

But what if you had a clear vision about where you're going?

What if you knew they were all 100% wrong?

How would that change the actions you take?

How would that change your entire life?

There's one reason I've always loved the Sith more than the Jedi.

It's that real Sith Lords act on their visions.

Real Sith Lords take MASSIVE F*ckING ACTION and don't stop until they've built the empire exactly as they saw it from the start!

And that's exactly how we, as entrepreneurs, copywriters, or whatever else you wanna call yourself, need to be. We have to find our vision, and take action to make it happen!

Jedi ignore this path completely.
They are sidewalkers.

Sith Wannabes fake action.
They are slowlaners.

Darth Banes embrace their vision, and take actions that bring it to life.
Darth Banes are rulers. Leaders. Entrepreneurs.
Fastlaners.

It's time to find your vision.

There's one last thing I want to mention about Darth Bane.

He's VERY passionate

It's not that he loves training, or that he loves battle.
It's not that any of these things are hobbies he enjoys.
He simply takes action, figures out what works and LOVES the results.
He doesn't do what he does because it's what he wants to do.
He does it because it's the ONLY way to WIN.

Now enjoy the Sith Creed.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, may chains are broken.

Day 7 Challenge
Today we're reversing things a little.

1. Close your eyes and imagine the life you want to have. See the cars, houses, food, and whatever else you want to have when you've finally made it. Now blow that picture up, and put yourself in it as if it were already your reality, and just allow yourself to experience it. Experience the sights, sounds smells. Take it all in. This is your vision.

2. Take one action that moves you toward that vision.

3. Do all the other steps from yesterday's challenge, only this time do it from a position of power, as you now understand your vision. Don't just go through the motions. Do it with the knowledge of what your future holds if you take this serious RIGHT NOW.

That's it for today's mindset lesson.
Find your vision, take action and
reap the rewards. When you're
ready, continue to Day 8
Technique Lesson

REz3iIC.jpg

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Damn, today I'm discovering all kinds of old misspellings & grammar errors.

Now add another to the list.

"Through victory may chains our broken."

lol... This is why good copy takes time.

That img is sick!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex I copied all of your posts and pasted them into an OpenOffice doc to make it easier to read through the comments. My question: Do you recommend taking 1 step/day? Or would a few a day be acceptable? Which would be more efficient?

I recommend doing whatever gets you the best results. If you get more out of doing multiple steps per day, then do that. If you need more time to work through it, then take more time. The most important thing is simply taking action and doing the steps. Results happen when we take action, regardless of how fast we do it. If you have a busy schedule, then doing the steps one day at a time will help you work around your schedule and will give you more time to process the information.

Disciple

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Dec 23, 2014
@SinisterLex I copied all of your posts and pasted them into an OpenOffice doc to make it easier to read through the comments. My question: Do you recommend taking 1 step/day? Or would a few a day be acceptable? Which would be more efficient?
Copy / pasting them into One Drive is actually on my to-do list!

I recommend doing whatever gets you the best results. If you get more out of doing multiple steps per day, then do that. If you need more time to work through it, then take more time. The most important thing is simply taking action and doing the steps. Results happen when we take action, regardless of how fast we do it. If you have a busy schedule, then doing the steps one day at a time will help you work around your schedule and will give you more time to process the information.
I would add onto this something.

If you pay close attention to the challenges for each day, some things come up more than once. Just because you're done with the 15 days, doesn't mean you can stop making that a habit.

Last edited:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, after thinking about it some more.... 1) probably has a desire to connect with a "real person", probably not into fake / heavy make up laced porn stars.

Demo might then change to: Married men 30-60 ?

Copy: The closest thing to cheating on your wife, without cheating!

------------------------------------------

2) yep, I see that.

3) I guess that could be more focused.....
1394332737Go-Deeper-Inception-Movie.jpg

DRAMATICALLY Decrease Varicose Veins With This One Tip!

4) Yep.... Get Skin So Clear Your Class Reunion Won't Believe It's You

5) Get The Confidence Of A Movie Star And The Smile Of A Celebrity!

I dunno, something like that :)

Thanks again for the share. Rep. Given, I look forward to day 3 :)

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Update

I know that I haven't completed all 15 days in this challenge per se.

But screw me, this update is not for me, it is for you who are thinking. Thinking if copywriting is worth a go or just another shiny object.

Let me tell you something about shiny objects, they are shiny because they give promises about wealth and freedom. Polished turd in most cases.

Then, when you start reading the introduction of your newly bought product and it says "research", "time", "effort" you cross out and tell yourself: "This will be great for reference later, I'll come back to this in a bit".

The once shiny object turns into a rusty wish on your hard drive, never to be spoken of again.

If you are seriously looking into @SinisterLex teachings and you think this can be something worth your while (read: something worth more than watching the next fail compilation on YouTube) let me tell you what's waiting for you:

A couple months ago I started to adopt a mindset of helping others before myself, to always over-deliver and to provide a service that people want to buy again, and again, and again... again.

Here is my current state:
I am constantly getting invites to jobs on UpWork.
I am constantly getting gigs on Fiverr.

Just today, I have closed 2 jobs. One for $120 and another for $300. Both jobs take jointly 3 hours to complete. That's an hourly rate of $140. I still have my 9-5 job, from which I make $22 /hour, not bad, but pale in comparison.

did it happen overnight? No
is it passive income? No
Do I sell my time? no
Do I have freedom? yes

and listen, I am neither a native English speaker nor a native writer. But I take my time to understand my clients needs and their real problems. If they tell you: "I want you to write copy for my homepage/landing page".

You have to ask what is the purpose of their landing page.

I always start off with a set of questions, and I would like to share those with you guys. They are very simple, but when clients get these questions they realize I mean business and they usually take their time to write very good answers. After this, it is easier to do research and put it all together so it flows and has a meaning, a single focus and to cut out the fluff -- hence you always have to ask your clients WHY, WHAT, HOW, WHEN, WHERE.

1. Who is your target audience?
  2. What is the most important matter for a client who is hiring you/buying your product or service?
  3. What is (are) the benefit(s) a client will get from your service or product?
  4. What are the most important problems facing this audience?
  5. Why is your service or product best suited as the solution to their problem?
  6. How, specifically, does your service help solve their problems?
  7. Are you looking to acquire a client or indoctrinate them about your company?
  8. Do you have any testimonials you want to include?
  9. Do you know where do your audience "hang out"? (facebook, Instagram, coffee shops, anything that is relevant)
  10. Do you have any keywords you'd like me to use?
The questions are not for your client to do all your work for you, but rather to get the thinking and start talking more openly about their business/problem/whatever they want to sell.

My last advice: DO NOT TAKE ON ANYTHING UNETHICAL -- CANCEL IMMEDIATELY

You sleep better and hedge yourself from the risk of ever getting into trouble. I have had clients who wanted me to write for adult content, selling get-rich-quick schemes, Ponzi schemes and all kind of crazy nonsense. I just tell them that their money is better spent elsewhere.

You bring up several good points. Especially about asking questions.

Your first question made me giggle. Seems like every time I ask they respond with: "uh everyone..."

And regarding unethical gigs - the other day I was asked to write fake reviews for Amazon. Was like "you must not watch much T.V..."

Second Saint

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 3, 2014
Day 3 Challenge
1. Help someone.

A guy who lives in my apartment saw me wearing a Krav Maga shirt and asked where I trained. I told him it had been a few years since I did it, and it was in my home state. Normally I would end the conversation there, but I decided to expand. I told him that I would be doing Muay Thai in February and offered to take his number so he could join me and another friend at that time. He was really happy and said he would gladly join in. Really more of a win-win... I felt good walking away from that interaction.

2. Write 5 new headlines
(I worked on the headlines from yesterday and they seem a lot better.)

Information Overlord: How I Conquered Information Overload and Reclaimed my Focus, Confidence, and Power

Rapidly Improve Your Touch With These 5 Proven Drills. (Soccer)

You’re the CEO of Your Life — Look the Part! (The Brooks Brothers 346 collection)

3 Ways to Buy an Apple Computer Without Paying Apple Prices!

4 Ideas That Will Change the Way You Shop for Computers

3. Paragraph using influence

EDIT 12/12/15:

Did you know that four of every five men in America don’t own a suit? This is astounding, as the suit really does make the man. But wait — you’re not an average man, right? You already own a suit, right? You already know the benefits because you live them, right? The utmost respect from total strangers, stares from women when you walk by, and the knowing looks from upper management — business as usual, isn’t it? Or maybe it’s not. Maybe something’s been missing from your life. Just think — maybe that something is a suit.

Buy a Brooks Brothers 346 Suit with coupon code [BB346] to receive 40% off and change your life. Offer ends tomorrow at midnight.

Last edited:

Second Saint

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 3, 2014
Day 4 Challenge : Now Quit Wasting Time & Take Action!

1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone no matter how big or small. Don't ask for anything in return.

I have a friend who's launching a company after graduation, and he's been working steadily towards the release in the mean time. I offered to help him with any web-related work a few weeks ago and he actually took me up on the offer over the weekend. He wants to incorporate a web application in his service, so I told him I'd build it for him. I've gathered basic requirements from him so I can start working... will be meeting with him when I go back home for the holidays. The application is straightforward enough... but these things are never so simple. I'm expecting to put the majority of my time towards this project over the next month. All things being equal, I'll have a pretty sweet item for my portfolio and more confidence to represent myself as a web freelancer.

2. Write 5 Headlines for a real product that MAKES THEM STOP.

Turn Your Living Room into the Ultimate Setup with this Device (Amazon Fire)

This New Technology Lets You Easily Bring Your Library Overseas (Amazon Kindle)

Learn Your Next Language in 30 Minutes a Day! (Rosetta Stone)

Why Lug Around a DSLR? Bring this Pocket-sized Device on Your Next Vacation Instead! (HD Camera Lens Kit for Cell Phones)

Use This Device and Never Miss Your Baby’s First Words!(Crib Camera connected to internet)

4. Figure out what the 1 action is that you've been putting off and do it.

I haven't been committing to anything. I have a background in Computer Science, so I've been dicking around with different ideas (freelancing, creating something to sell, etc.) but not implementing anything out of fear and chasing shiny objects (ideas in other industries that I know nothing about relative to the skills I already have). With the action I'm taking from #1, I'm forcing my hand. Interestingly enough, it's also easier to commit because I'm not doing it for myself. I really want to help my friend succeed in whatever way I can.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Day Three Challenge

1)

Helped a local girl by agreeing to give her free English lessons once a week.

2)

Are Hot Morning Showers Sapping Your ENERGY and Causing FATIGUE

50 EASY Words for Conversational Spanish

Get PAID to Advertise Your Business

$2 Hack For Fixing Your IPHONE SCREEN

NEW EASY HABIT for a DEEPER VOICE

3)

EASY Way to Create Location Free NO EXPERIENCE Needed Income​

All of us want to live where we choose, work when we feel like it and make money on our own terms. Not many jobs offer such free reign but there is one that I know of. You don’t need an education, you definitely don’t need a degree, and it won’t take years to learn… what is it?

Online Freelancing.

Something you can actual start TODAY with no money or experience.​

This isn’t some magic way to get rich quick, you don’t just relax by the beach all day, and you might not be a millionaire by Christmas but it does offer more then you think. Online freelancing allows you to start immediately creating an income that is accessible wherever you have an Internet connection...

Picture this - you wake up for morning yoga on the beach, enjoy a smoothie made from local, freshly picked fruit and then settle into your hammock to begin your workday. Give it a moment and picture how good that would feel..

Impossible?

Not in the slightest...​

Many well-known successful online entrepreneurs started their journey with little or no experience by freelancing. They started just like are now and went on to create huge profitable empires. It doesn’t require much to start and the benefits are huge. It isn’t meant to be forever but it is the best place to start right now. Valuable experience working with already successful companies, a satisfying income for doing so, and a solid foundation for future success….

Think about your goals and consider how freelancing would help you get started right now. There is a lot to gain and with pretty much zero risk.All it takes is action. Simple action that you can take right now.

Next Saturday and Sunday I am offering 1-on-1 Skype calls with people who are determined to make this their journey. Usually I charge quite a lot for such coaching but this time I wanted to try something different. I wanted to see who has the vision and can take the action when there is NOTHING holding them back. No excuses and no roadblocks. So are you someone who has the drive and can do what it takes?

My time is very limited and I only have time for those who are highly focused and truly interested.

Every week I get 100s of emails and FB messages who claim they want to create an online income from anywhere in the world. This time I will only take those who are truly determined.

As such I have limited places - 15 people each day.
I have to strictly enforce this to ensure people get the time they need to know how to begin getting results right away.

If possessing an online income that gives you both the freedom and tools for future success is in line with your personal goals sign up now.
Our Skype call is completely free and with no future obligations.
As always places fill up fast so this will be on a first come first severed bases.​

Thanks for reading and I hope to see you poolside one day!

Mr. Fox

Dec 18th 2015

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Day 6

Did not really help anyone out. Just spread good vibes as I went about my day.

2. Choose a product and write a sales letter for it. Before you start, prepare a specific outcome for your letter.

Outcome: Selling Bicycles to Adults

Do You Remember Learning To Ride a Bike?

Why Did You Learn?​

I bet it was because your parents bought you a bike or even because every other kid had a bike and you wanted to fit in. Or perhaps you just wanted to be like your older sibling. But...

What About Nowadays?​

Are You Getting a Return on That Investment?​

If not, just remember how many times you fell learning to ride.
If you were lucky,
it was on grass.

We’ve all heard the phrase “you can never forget how to ride a bike.”
Yet...​

Why do so little adults actually ride bikes? Is it because of cars?

No.

It’s because we have forgotten the memories. The times we rode with our friends around the neighborhood racing. The freedom felt riding on your bike with only the wind hitting your face. Perhaps like me, you and your friends played chicken and crashed into each other resulting in a trip to mommy to fix your “boo boo”

Now, consider your life without those memories. You being the only child on the street without a bike. Getting to see all the children having fun riding around while you’re stuck at home playing with your siblings toys as mom yells at you.

The adult version of this involves you being at home watching TV yearning to live those adventures you see on television. What if I told you…

That You Can Reclaim some of that Freedom Back

Click Here and Order Your New Huffy Bicycle.

Become Like A Kid Again​

3. Write the headline for the letter to MAKE THEM STOP & have an emotional impact.

4. Weave techniques of influence into the body to carry that emotional impact throughout the letter.

5. Finalize the letter by driving your prospect with emotion to take some action.
(Click Here, Join Now, etc.)

6. Take some action that you've been too scared to take.
Set up my blog, finishing it up tomorrow. Cleaned up apartment.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Poookly I am in the same boat.

I could blame the fact I still don't have proper internet set up but that's still just an excuse.
I will be posting back up the challenges starting today and everyday until I finish.

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
I've just completed the Day 2 Challenge. Thanks for the thread @SinisterLex - value packed so far!
I wanted to post a few of my headlines from the Day 2 Challenge, more so for validation and/or critique so feel free, anyone & everyone,to give me your honest thoughts.

Product #1 - Walking Belt
Who Am I? - 35-55 year old, female
What do I want? - Good Health, Longevity
Why do I want it? - Live longer, Enjoy life more, feel youthful

Headline 1: "Why Walking Will Help You Live To 100"
Headline 2: "One Thing the Youngest 96 Year Old in America Swears By"
Headline 3: "Secret Revealed! Youthful 96 Year Old Shares the Key to Longevity"

Product #2 - Paleo Cookbook
Who Am I? - 20-40 year old, health conscious
What do I want? - Good health, More Energy, Happiness, Fit/Lean Body
Why do I want it? - Look Good (Confidence), Feel Good (Happiness), Achieve more (Energy)

Headline 1: "19 Paleo Recipes That Will Boost Your Energy"
Headline 2: "Why Going Paleo Will Give You More Energy & Confidence"
Headline 3: "The 3-Week Paleo Plan That Will Make You Look & Feel Like a New Person"

Keen to get some feedback, don't hold back. Thanks again @SinisterLex Looking forward to working through the rest of the content.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
it's just surprising that a 10 page article like that would work. and does it? you say people make a living writing these, sure, I buy that.... but does someone like the OP{ getting paid to do this, write this sort of stuff?

do these random websites that have these 10 page of "copy" actually make any sales from the website, or do they make sales from people linking to their site and trying to drive business that way.

is 10 page copy article the norm in copy world, or is it more "sentence" 1 paragraph, etc, to grab attention.

Mostly it depends on the audience. Some people want more info. They want to know every last detail. They want to read every bit of copy to sort fact from fantasy and find out if the offer is quality or bs.

Sometimes it's the fine details and guarantees that matter. But not always.

I don't write long pages of copy very often. Most of my audiences don't need it. I think it's more important for certain educational products, or products where the audience needs background info to buy.

If you're targeting a niche where they already understand the product then they won't need as much info.

Then your goal is to write for response. Your goal becomes tapping into emotions and feelings.

Usually they're called "hot buttons." Hit the right hot button and your target responds.

Response is what we're after. The results speak for themselves.

Either the copy gets results, or it doesn't and something needs changed.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Hi TheGrind, any advice on getting off of upwork and finding clients? How does one do this?
Honestly? If you're a good enough copywriter you'll have no issue finding more clients then you can handle. There's a massive demand for copywriters, but Upwork and the real world are two totally different ball games.

Create a direct mailing campaign, that's what I did at first and use your copywriting skills to wow prospects and get clients - it's that simple.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I never meant to try and be exactly like that copywriter

That's an important distinction! Lots of young guys try to copy exact style and it ends up a disaster.

They don't find much work because their style doesn't fit their niche or their client's needs.

That being said, you'll learn more from doing. Create an info product or something to have a revenue stream, something in your portfolio, and you'll refine your skillset.

I totally agree with this. Even if you don't know the psychology part, you can learn to write copy by doing. It's the only way to earn.

No doing, no earning.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Making up some good headlines is proving to be quite the challenge! Couldn't have thought it would.

For the day 3 challenge I've written a 'small' piece. I would appreciate your honest feedback!

"The Mountain-pass Exotics Tour"

Imagine the roaring sound of your engine, beautiful green scenery and the biggest smile on your face.
While speeding along the green mountainpasses you get to experience your car like never before.
Downshifting for a tight left hand turn, hitting the apex, and then the acceleration. Amazing.

On May 8th, 2017, the Mountain-pass Exotics Tour will take our guests along the finest routes of Europe. Cruising the Alps, placeXYZ, and passing through ABC before finishing at "THE MANSION" in Monaco.

All drivers will be welcomed at Castle ZYX with a breakfast banquet before heading off toward TOWN-A, where the 666km route will unfold.

The Tour will include:
  • 666km of the finest breath-taking roads Europe has to offer.

• All inclusive meal arrangements, where your taste senses will be stunned through our Breakfast Banquet at Castle ZYX, Lunch at Castle 2 and closing diner at "The Mansion".

• To ensure maximum driving pleasure, all drivers will receive a full gas fill-up card, to be used at any of the FASTLANE gas stations along the route.

Just 100 participants will be accepted for this tour, so all those who are interested are encouraged to sign up as soon as possible.
Submissions close on Friday, September 31st, after which no new participants will be accepted.

Will you join us on the 8th of May?

<sign up button>

--

Thanks in advance!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.