The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Landing Page Services

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Looking for some feedback

I felt a strong pain point when trying to get a good landing page built. When I talked to about 10 other friends from this forum who had the same pain point as me....I decided to solve it. And less than a week later, I solved my own problem.

None of the existing landing page services had exactly what I wanted. Hiring a freelancer could cost a few hundred dollars per landing page. And it would take too long to design everything myself.

Unbounce, leadpages.net, and themeforest are the main places I've been to. With a mix of having to maintain a subscription, host your pages on their servers, and a lot being geared towards lead gen and not sales... I didn't find a thing that seemed to work. Themeforest makes you pay per design, which isnt too bad, but can get costly when buy one that you later find out doesnt work for you...

I now have ownership/resell rights to over 50 quality landing pages through a deal I went out and did... + graphics/banner ad templates, etc. and setup a subscription based website to start selling unlimited access for one price.... Something I wish existed already. But now it exists, and I own it.

My landing page issue is solved and I gave access to a private membership site to a bunch of my friends on here, who already gave amazing feedback.

Now I want to share this solution with others:
So I am looking for some feedback - What troubles are you running into when creating a landing page for your website?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What troubles are you running into when creating a landing page for your website?

Conversion from the template to the customize design. Including integration of your custom photos, photos that often need editing.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Conversion from the template to the customize design. Including integration of your custom photos, photos that often need editing.
Jason suggested a web based editor where you can design it in there, and then export to HTML. Building off of that, if I have pre-made templates loaded into that editor,that you change pictures/text/copy...is that precisely what you're talking about?

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
I'm having an issue now that maybe you have already solved. I'm looking for a long form sales page template that I can use but unbounce, leadpages, etc.. don't have that. It would take a lot of work/skill to create one in unbounce.

Bossgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 30, 2014
I've used unbounce and leadpages and even launchrock. As someone that has some design skill, it can still be very frustrating to customize them, so I can't even imagine someone who doesn't know a thing about html and/or graphics. Nine times out of ten the pre-made templates won't be exactly what you want out of the box, so a more inuitive interface for changing colors and fonts and adding buttons and photos and rearranging page elements would be a definite plus. Its also can be quite the headache to integrate with your existing email management tool. I almost always have to go into the actual code of my form to get it to work and integrate the way I want to.

DeanH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 10, 2012
I know you didn't post this to advertise your service, but I'm researching landing-page services now and am running into the same obstacles as you did. Can you share your site or send it to me by PM? Thanks.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I have used LeadPages, Unbounce, OptimizePress, purchased theme forest themes and hand-coded.

Something like what you are offering is interesting. Ideally, it would be great if it had a Wordpress plugin that made it easy to get the template from your site into my Wordpress installation.

LeadPages does this in a very hands-tied kinda way, but it would make things a lot easier.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Shit i have run into this more times then i can count. The biggest issue for me is I am not a designer. so even with templates they still don't have proper images that need to be taken/made/edited.

The other issue I have with templates, is most are static HTML, i want a page layout that i can put on a WP site, or integrate with form plugins, etc. Most templates are graphics based so they require a lot of work to change and fit, and often look all F'ed if they aren't just a separate static page. Most also aren't responsive what-so-ever.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Did you check out http://www.woothemes.com/ yet? I think their model is similar to yours: for 399 USD you get access to 50+ landing pages (Wordpress only).

Edit: there are two interviews with one of the founders on Mixergy.com.
Woothemes are full Wordpress themes. I have used them too. They aren't landing pages. Lots of customization is necessary.

Even though the out-of-the-box themes are pretty good, they aren't too different to any other theme you can buy elsewhere.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Did you check out http://www.woothemes.com/ yet? I think their model is similar to yours: for 399 USD you get access to 50+ landing pages (Wordpress only).

Edit: there are two interviews with one of the founders on Mixergy.com.
Thanks for the link! I did not check them out yet. What I have now is self hosted type of pages, and not wordpress.. I have seen a few other competitors make a killing off of wordpress templates though, so perhaps that is something to look into in the future. I'll assume it can't be too much harder for someone to code vs a normal landing page.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Shit i have run into this more times then i can count. The biggest issue for me is I am not a designer. so even with templates they still don't have proper images that need to be taken/made/edited.
The other issue I have with templates, is most are static HTML, i want a page layout that i can put on a WP site, or integrate with form plugins, etc. Most templates are graphics based so they require a lot of work to change and fit, and often look all F'ed if they aren't just a separate static page. Most also aren't responsive what-so-ever.
Hmm.. perhaps a landing page designer that can export to html.. but I can plugin an API to a stock photo website, or offer some affordable service to modify some of those images to flow well with an individual's page :-/

Good feedback, thanks!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I know you didn't post this to advertise your service, but I'm researching landing-page services now and am running into the same obstacles as you did. Can you share your site or send it to me by PM? Thanks.

Wasn't using this thread to advertise my site. Just wanted to get some feedback here. Sent you a PM if you think it would really help you now. Any feedback would be appropriated.

I began running some Google display traffic to my site to validate some sales. Dropped the price by 75% to start getting people in my funnel. Turns out my original idea is best served as a tripwire, and this landing page software that MJ and a few others mentioned could be the core product. (thanks to @Kung Fu Steve for drilling that in my head... it finally clicked to lower my price, after we spoke on skype)

Once I get enough customer feedback and validation, I'll buy a forum sponsorship from MJ if enough people on here think it is something that can help them and post the link at that time.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm actually surprised at how few marketing tools (MailCheat(Chimp), aweber, lead pages, etc) integrate with stock photo sites (both attribution free and paid)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I can't stand stock photos, it screams amateur the moment I see it. At minimum you should be modifying the stock images and most folks don't have an easy way to do it or just can't design that well.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I need a landing page ASAP to test a concept/product and I agree what I have found is lacking compared to the value I would expect to receive. I know that generic but it's where I am in my landing page journey.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I can't stand stock photos, it screams amateur the moment I see it. At minimum you should be modifying the stock images and most folks don't have an easy way to do it or just can't design that well.
What are you currently doing for your images then?

Normally, I have to find photos on Google Images or Photopin and jerry rig them to look OK in as little time as possible.

(Yes, I know using Google images it's illegal technically, but it takes about 5 minutes and 9/10 times I only use the photos for a few hours.)

I know there are benefits of having, like, people looking at the opt in form, etc. But I can never find good photos to do that in a short period of time.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can't find any local lead-gen wordpress templates. They are all awful. Happy to have a chat. Just PM me.

I currently use Optimizepress, which I find works pretty good for what I want, but I can't make it prettier with my limited skillset. I don't want to increase my skillset as I want to find a way that other people can follow.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm such a fan of basic landing pages (because I suck at design) but LeadPages irritates the hell out of me when you can't move things around. It's either "on" or "off" and half the time you can't even edit that part. Frustrating.

I think it's already been covered but customizable AND simple enough for me to use!

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I gave my opinions through text I think, but just to add a few..

I feel like I spend my days and nights creating landing pages. Some things that are important to me and some problems that I face when designing:

- I need a lot of landing pages - I like to change my headlines and some copy based on the traffic that I'm driving and the copy of my ads if I'm using ads at all... I haven't figured out how to dynamically do this. But It's extremely important that I do this fast and it looks good. I have a folder on my server with way too many variations of each page. It's a mess.

- Responsive designs - This is what I'm having the most trouble with. Designs fall apart in certain web browsers, usually IE. I guess that I could get a few good responsive templates offline somewhere.

- Time - I spend too much time doing this stuff. I started using leadpages.net to streamline the process. Not sure if I like it though. I feel like some of their landing pages suck but they do get the job done I guess.

- Email capture landing pages - I only use click-through pages. I haven't tried using email capture because I can never get an email capture page that I'm happy with.

I don't really have any trouble with designs. I can look at a good page and steal it (and alter of course) just by eyeballing it...but again, it takes time..so if you can save me time then I'm happy

-L-

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 26, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Like everyone, I struggled with the web editors available at most of the landing page services. At the end, I settled with strikingly. The best one I tried. It gives you enough room for customization without showing you the code. They have a free version but you'll have to pay if you want to use a custom domain.

If you want to go further, you could also try divshot.com. They have this "architect" software giving you access to the HTML/js/CSS code while showing you a direct preview of your work. The plans are pretty cheap too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.