The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Investing in your education... !

G

GuestUser143

Hey there !

Lot of things happened since the last few months, this is amazing ! I did my first product launch (which brought me very modest income, but hey it was my first one!) got clients who love my work, ...

I am helping students study better, and my vision is to change the educational system. I got a plan, but I need help to make it clearer...

So I spoke to a very high caliber guy 1 month ago (he was playing on the same level as tony robbins at one point in his career !) about my business, he wants to help me ! You bet I'm excited !

First thing he proposed to help me with was to get me a hugely discounted seat at a seminar he's doing in the US. He told me that this way he could see me for real and see "what I am all about" ! That's amazing, and his seminar seems very interesting and a perfect match to my interests !

So I set on a journey to get the funds to go to the US. The seminar happens in July, so I had 2 months to come up with around $5000 (this is a 3 week seminar).

I used all of my spare money (coming mainly from my product launch) to pay for the room and the airplane tickets. And now, I need to find those $2500-$3000 that are missing !

So here's what I did :
  • Offering the replays of a live program I did to my 1000+ subscribers list as a "try now pay in 3 days" kind of offer. Nobody took it !
  • Tried to sell seats at a workshop I was doing for free for my current customers (part of the package they had bought). Nobody bought.
  • Offering free personal coaching, then I pitched the people at the end into the replays of my live program. Out of the 8 who took the free coaching, one bought for a total of €67.
  • Reselling my old items I didn't use anymore. Sold a few of them, and made around 200€ more !
  • Applied for a loan, but didn't get accepted as I'm a student with close to 0 income.
  • Did a Groupon offer of my personal coaching for students who wanted to succeed their exams. Not even 1 person bought the offer !
  • Tried to ask current customers and the people who got my personal coaching for referrals. Didn't get any referral (I only have 13 paying customers as of yet).
  • Started a crowdfunding campaign for my trip at GoFundMe and Generosity yesterday.
So now I am starting to run out of ideas... And the trip to the US is becoming closer and closer, and I haven't yet paid for the seminar seats ! I only have the flight and a room :p

Do you guys have any ideas ? I want to make this a reality, and show him I was able to make it to the US !

Thanks a lot for your ideas !!! :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser143

Guys I don't think this is a scam (and I will only know after I've been to the seminar, so there's no point trying to guess). I appreciate you caring for me, really, but this thread wasn't about "is it a scam or not". :) If you have ideas to help me you're very welcome to share them !

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Guys I don't think this is a scam (and I will only know after I've been to the seminar, so there's no point trying to guess). I appreciate you caring for me, really, but this thread wasn't about "is it a scam or not". :) If you have ideas to help me you're very welcome to share them !
Let's try this again. Is this your best use of $5K?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Doesn't really matter what the purpose of your thread is. When we see someone on a collision course we try to steer them in a better direction.

I can certainly appreciate the tenacity you're displaying however, you are sinking every last bit of money you have and then some to attend a seminar. What happens when you find out at the end of the $3000 seminar there is a one-on-one coaching option for "only" $30,000? You may very well succumb to the masterful sales technics and feel you must have that now in order to be successful. If so, please don't come back here asking how you can raise that kind of money for that purpose.

Now, to address your original inquiry. If you're dead set in attending and working up the extra money needed, there are numerous threads located within that address hustling and generating sums of money quickly. I'd suggest doing an intensive forum search.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Join the inside for a fraction of that.
Okay, here's your plan for a life changing event.

Join the inside.
Save up your money.
Go to the fastlane event next year.

Done.

G

GuestUser143

Thanks AllenCrawley and jon ! I will be looking at the Inside jon, if you suggest it to me then I will really look into it :) ! Thanks for your suggestion.

Also thanks a lot to you AllenCrawley, I will make a search in the forum then, I'm very dead set, I feel the guy was very transparent. I believe him. Maybe he'll disappoint me, but at least I will have the pride of my hustle :D

If anyone has other tips, you're very welcome !

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Thanks AllenCrawley and jon ! I will be looking at the Inside jon, if you suggest it to me then I will really look into it :) ! Thanks for your suggestion.

Also thanks a lot to you AllenCrawley, I will make a search in the forum then, I'm very dead set, I feel the guy was very transparent. I believe him. Maybe he'll disappoint me, but at least I will have the pride of my hustle :D

Who is this guy?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

Where in the US is this seminar? And what's the guy's name and company he works for?

G

GuestUser143

I would find it disrespectful to name the guy on a public forum where people could bash him. If he disappoints me, then I won't care bashing him publicly. But up to now he helped me a lot, so I won't do it. But if you really want to know, you can PM me.

Anyways, thanks for your answers !

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
The title of your thread is 'investing in your education'.

You trust this guy and believe him to be legitimate. That's good.

However, you're struggling to put together the $3000 needed in order to attend this event. That's not a good sign.

You're committed, which is good, but this seminar is probably not the missing piece. It might help, but it's probably not the missing piece.

Also, your list isn't very responsive to your offers. Are the offers you're putting out there relevant to the problems of the people on your list? How did you get the people on your list? Did they opt-in for a free product? Did you purchase or scrape the list?

And, most importantly, how valuable are your products and services? Out of a list of 1000, I'd expect at least one person to buy, even with open rates as low as they are.

You mentioned you're in Belgium. Is everyone on your list from Belgium? If you're selling educational products, it's likely that what you teach needs to be relevant to the exams specific to a country.

Another thing: you gave people personal coaching and then asked them to buy a replay of your live program? Sounds to me like a downgrade from what they're getting for free. Next time, try upselling to regular consulting work.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
You are spending all your savings and then some on attending a course on business. Even with the most actionable advice you are still going to pay that off first, then re save that money and then attempt to put that knowledge to use. Everyone here has your best interests at heart - save your money and use the plenty of resources already available. There is no magic bullet when it comes to business, you are still going to have to grind, fail, try again, fail and keep going.

Take one week off and read all the gold threads. $400
Books $500
Inside membership $100
Start your own business fund $4,000

If this guy has your best interests at heart ask him if you can attend for free (or in exchange for helping set up the event etc) but you cover your costs of travel and pay him back when your business takes off. I'm not being disingenuous, if he is really trying to help you he should be helping you right now. Whats his advice for raising the money?

One last question. Did this guy make his money through a business or selling seminars?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I did forget to mention that I do have some experience in this arena: I spent the last of my money to fly out to a Fastlane meetup in 2013. Had no job, was late on rent, owed money to the school...

...and came back with a job and a ton of insight on business.

Difference is, I spent about $1500 on the whole thing. You're about to drop 3x that for a guru seminar. Think about it for a second.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I did forget to mention that I do have some experience in this arena: I spent the last of my money to fly out to a Fastlane meetup in 2013. Had no job, was late on rent, owed money to the school...

...and came back with a job and a ton of insight on business.

Difference is, I spent about $1500 on the whole thing. You're about to drop 3x that for a guru seminar. Think about it for a second.

Exactly. Everyone at the Fastlane summit is a business person or entrepreneur. No alternative motives.
Everyone at a $5,000 rally is either in on the business or a customer.

G

GuestUser143

The title of your thread is 'investing in your education'.

You trust this guy and believe him to be legitimate. That's good.

However, you're struggling to put together the $3000 needed in order to attend this event. That's not a good sign.

You're committed, which is good, but this seminar is probably not the missing piece. It might help, but it's probably not the missing piece.

Also, your list isn't very responsive to your offers. Are the offers you're putting out there relevant to the problems of the people on your list? How did you get the people on your list? Did they opt-in for a free product? Did you purchase or scrape the list?

And, most importantly, how valuable are your products and services? Out of a list of 1000, I'd expect at least one person to buy, even with open rates as low as they are.

You mentioned you're in Belgium. Is everyone on your list from Belgium? If you're selling educational products, it's likely that what you teach needs to be relevant to the exams specific to a country.

Another thing: you gave people personal coaching and then asked them to buy a replay of your live program? Sounds to me like a downgrade from what they're getting for free. Next time, try upselling to regular consulting work.

Thanks for your answer ! I know this seminar won't give me everything. My missing piece, in my opinion, is a lack of a strategic approach to business building, which I'm working on. I'm currently, thanks to the advice of the guy, putting together a solid business plan to get funding. The business as it is needs more capital for me to really accomplish what I want.

The seminar isn't about business building, but about NLP. Btw, $3000 isn't the price of the event, it is less than that thanks to his discount.

To answer your questions :

- the offers are, in my opinion, very relevant. I'm a belgian student as well so I know quite well what are their problems (+ I talked to people on my campus to get to know their personal problems).

- They got on my list through a JV deal I did with 6 big facebook pages for students.

- They opted in for a free 4 video serie.

My open rates are quite good, got around 20% open rate, so around 200 people viewing my emails. My products/services are very valuable, my clients told me that they bought from my competitors before and they were hugely disappointed... But that my program and/or personal coaching was really the best they ever had found. So yes it is valuable.

Yes, everyone on my list is from Belgium. My products are relevant to the exams, as they are a step-by-step method to study correctly, based on concepts from NLP and hypnosis to accelerate the learning (I don't market using the terms NLP and hypnosis, as it could put them off).

Oh and thanks for the advice :) !! never looked at it in this way, but you're right.

You are spending all your savings and then some on attending a course on business. Even with the most actionable advice you are still going to pay that off first, then re save that money and then attempt to put that knowledge to use. Everyone here has your best interests at heart - save your money and use the plenty of resources already available. There is no magic bullet when it comes to business, you are still going to have to grind, fail, try again, fail and keep going.

Take one week off and read all the gold threads. $400
Books $500
Inside membership $100
Start your own business fund $4,000

If this guy has your best interests at heart ask him if you can attend for free (or in exchange for helping set up the event etc) but you cover your costs of travel and pay him back when your business takes off. I'm not being disingenuous, if he is really trying to help you he should be helping you right now. Whats his advice for raising the money?

One last question. Did this guy make his money through a business or selling seminars?

Yep, I know about failure, I do believe that failing forward is a thing. I try to avoid failures as much as I can by stacking the odds in my favor, but I cannot know before acting if I will fail or succeed.

Yes, that's right ! I'm trying to do as much as I can on my own to show him I tried. Then, if it really doesn't work out I will get back to him to ask him for help.

His advice for me was to put together a business plan that was very solid, and to try to get funding. He told me that he did it when he started his business. He raised 30k doing so.

He told me to try to get an internship in some seminar companies (as it is where I want to put most of my focus, in the seminar business) to get an INSIDERS view of how they run the company. He gave some names I could contact for those internships. Didn't do it yet as my focus has been on getting the money for July.

But, as he also told me, the internship would make the business plan much more believable to potential investors.

I tried to do a business plan and find investors, sadly didn't find any entity in Belgium that was really ready to invest in my kind of business... But I should have done more research around that. Maybe I'll do that.

He made his money by doing NLP trainings I believe, which is something I want to learn from him.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
His advice for me was to put together a business plan that was very solid, and to try to get funding. He told me that he did it when he started his business. He raised 30k doing so.

He told me to try to get an internship in some seminar companies (as it is where I want to put most of my focus, in the seminar business) to get an INSIDERS view of how they run the company. He gave some names I could contact for those internships. Didn't do it yet as my focus has been on getting the money for July.

But, as he also told me, the internship would make the business plan much more believable to potential investors.

That advice isn't horrible (learning how to raise money is absolutely invaluable), but it's probably relatively far away.

The internship isn't that bad of an idea either (you seem pretty young, like 20 or so) but only if it's paid. Never work for free. (I have personal experience reasons for that view)

Why the hell is he telling you to pay for a seminar to meet you again, anyway? That line of thinking I don't understand. If I thought someone actually believed in me and wanted to help me, they wouldn't make me buy a seat at their show to see them. They'd make me buy em lunch and want to talk about how my idea could potentially be beneficial to them.

From what I've seen and heard on the forum, paid mentorships tend to suck. But this area, I have no personal experience in. My mentors paid ME.

G

GuestUser143

That advice isn't horrible (learning how to raise money is absolutely invaluable), but it's probably relatively far away.

The internship isn't that bad of an idea either (you seem pretty young, like 20 or so) but only if it's paid. Never work for free. (I have personal experience reasons for that view)

Why the hell is he telling you to pay for a seminar to meet you again, anyway? That line of thinking I don't understand. If I thought someone actually believed in me and wanted to help me, they wouldn't make me buy a seat at their show to see them. They'd make me buy em lunch and want to talk about how my idea could potentially be beneficial to them.

From what I've seen and heard on the forum, paid mentorships tend to suck. But this area, I have no personal experience in. My mentors paid ME.

Yes, he told me the companies that did pay for the internships, and that's the kind of internship I'll be looking into.

I spoke to him about my desires to start a seminar company in personal development/business geared towards "dream building", or helping people create their dream businesses. And he asked me : alright, what's your track record ? I told him I had read a lot of books etc... But he told me : "no, what have you got as real skills ? It seems to me that you know a little bit about everything, but not a lot about a subject in particular". Which was true. So I told him yes. Then we got around talking about NLP, which is a subject that fascinates me. So he told me "I'm doing this seminar that's an NLP certification, would you like to join ?" So I told him YES! of course. He told me "great, do you have a budget right now ?" and I told him that I did have XYZ€ saved up for education of some sort. So he told me "ok, then you can come for $XYZ to our practitioner level... And if you're able to triple that amount, then I am okay with you coming to the master and then the trainer as well !" That's the discussion I had with him. He also mentionned it would also be a great opportunity for us to meet.

So he made me an offer that was in my budget, he didn't try to steal from me. And then, he gave me a "stretch goal", I guess as a test to see what I would do to get there.

I don't know if he wants me to pay for mentorship or anything. I'm just trying to stay on his radar and show him that when I want something, I do everything possible to get it. We'll see how it goes from there.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Thanks for your answer ! I know this seminar won't give me everything. My missing piece, in my opinion, is a lack of a strategic approach to business building, which I'm working on. I'm currently, thanks to the advice of the guy, putting together a solid business plan to get funding. The business as it is needs more capital for me to really accomplish what I want.

The seminar isn't about business building, but about NLP. Btw, $3000 isn't the price of the event, it is less than that thanks to his discount.

To answer your questions :

- the offers are, in my opinion, very relevant. I'm a belgian student as well so I know quite well what are their problems (+ I talked to people on my campus to get to know their personal problems).

- They got on my list through a JV deal I did with 6 big facebook pages for students.

- They opted in for a free 4 video serie.

My open rates are quite good, got around 20% open rate, so around 200 people viewing my emails. My products/services are very valuable, my clients told me that they bought from my competitors before and they were hugely disappointed... But that my program and/or personal coaching was really the best they ever had found. So yes it is valuable.

Yes, everyone on my list is from Belgium. My products are relevant to the exams, as they are a step-by-step method to study correctly, based on concepts from NLP and hypnosis to accelerate the learning (I don't market using the terms NLP and hypnosis, as it could put them off).

Oh and thanks for the advice :) !! never looked at it in this way, but you're right.

Yep, I know about failure, I do believe that failing forward is a thing. I try to avoid failures as much as I can by stacking the odds in my favor, but I cannot know before acting if I will fail or succeed.

Yes, that's right ! I'm trying to do as much as I can on my own to show him I tried. Then, if it really doesn't work out I will get back to him to ask him for help.

I tried to do a business plan and find investors, sadly didn't find any entity in Belgium that was really ready to invest in my kind of business... But I should have done more research around that. Maybe I'll do that.

He made his money by doing NLP trainings I believe, which is something I want to learn from him.
We have a NLP guy here that you can learn from for free.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
We have a NLP guy here that you can learn from for free.

@AndrewNC @KungFuSteve

These guys are experts when it comes to destroying limiting beliefs and living the life that you truly deserve.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I skimmed this. I don't know if we're being trolled tbh.

OP...

If you need cash to grow your fledgling business, then would it be better to get it from your customers instead of from investors?

What would happen if you focused on getting more sales?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
What would happen if you focused on getting more sales?

Oh snap! You just got NLPd by @Andy Black and for free!

This thread is killing me. I want to say productive stuff but this is all that comes to mind. :headbanger:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
He's been around for over 2 years, let's give him a chance.

Fine fine. I just don't like where this is headed and would hate to see someone throw away $3k on something probably not worth it.

Lots of NLPers on this forum and there's NLP training online that's every bit as good as live for under $300.

Some of it offers ongoing support and Skype consultations. iNLP has NLP Practitioner & Master Practitioner training for around $300.

For $4k you can get train the trainer certified and have ongoing support and a network & brand name behind you + all of their marketing materials.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I got a plan, but I need help to make it clearer...

Steve Jobs

“Of course, it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. but it was very very clear, looking backwards 10 years later.

Again, you can’t connect the dots looking forward. You can only connect them, looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something. Your gut, Destiny, Life, Karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road, will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when if it leads you off the well-worn path.

And that will make all the difference.”

upload_2016-5-30_11-24-15.png
Look at the left three:
  1. Imagine you already have that clarity and everything you are looking for.
  2. See, hear, and feel, as if you already have it.
  3. Can you do that, or are there any negative emotions getting in the way? Use Timeline Therapy or EFT to release the negative emotions.
  4. Look back in time, and ask yourself "what did I do in order to get here"
  5. Chunk it down to the VERY FIRST step
  6. Take that one step.
  7. Rinse, repeat.
NLP is really simple for this - Get in the emotional state of already having what you want, and internally see as if you already have it.

The rest takes care of itself.

Now go take that first step, and act as if you already have it.

One day in the future, you'll look back and on that day, today, you will already realize right now that you already have that clarity to take that one stop going forward

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.