The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I hate my country and I want out, but I don't know what to do

Anything related to matters of the mind

Moxy404

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 3, 2023
This might not be of any value but I just wanted to rant and clear my head.

I currently live in Malaysia and the only thing I think about all day is getting out of here.

To tell you a little bit about myself, I was raised in a middle-class family where Japanese was spoken at home (my mother is Japanese), and I was fortunate enough to be able to go to an International school.

My childhood was pretty normal, just like any other kid. I went to school, spent time with friends, and did all the typical stuff.

But slowly I started to realize a few problems of me being in this country, one of the problems being that I can't speak the local languages here. Me being in an international school, I never got around to really be able to talk to anyone in the local languages (Speaking anything other than English was prohibited in my school).

However, that isn't the only problem, there are multiple reasons why I hate my country, some reasons include:
- Not being able to walk around anywhere
- The weather (Hot blazing sun with max humidity or gloomy rainy days with max humidity)
- The fact that I can't talk to anyone or connect with them on a deeper level (this is a me problem, I know)
- Lack of opportunity

A couple weeks ago, I took a trip to Japan with my mother, and for the first time I actually felt like I was at home. I saw a land of opportunity, I saw myself actually being able to marry and have children there. I didn't have to rush across busy streets dodging cars, I didn't have to wear tank-tops, I COULD ACTUALLY TALK TO PEOPLE AND CONNECT WITH THEM. It was liberating, I nearly cried when I took the flight back.

For around two years I've been thinking about leaving Malaysia, and Japan has always been my first choice of escape. But after that trip, I KNOW FOR SURE that I want to stay there, It is without a doubt the country for me.

--- THE PROBLEM ---

Problem is, I don't have the money for it, I asked my parents, and they didn't want me leaving, so I'm on my own. For the past 7 months I've been learning how to code websites, but I can't help but feel like most of the time I was just action faking. I've tried cold calling / emailing but I haven't gotten a client yet. I feel like I'm focusing on the wrong thing. Right now I'm 16 and I never had a job, maybe I should get one? I've seen the window cleaning threads and I'm thinking of starting. I don't know, I just feel lost.

I don't need that much money to get out, I only need:
- Around $200 for plane tickets
- Around $300 to stay somewhere for 3 months (optional)

I'm fine with sleeping on the streets for a couple of months if that's what I need to do.

If any of you have some advice, please feel free to share.

(NOTE: I'm not necessarily saying that Malaysia is a bad country, I'm just saying that It's not fit for ME, It just doesn't fit MY values and what I'M looking for.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020

I currently live in Malaysia and the only thing I think about all day is getting out of here.

To tell you a little bit about myself, I was raised in a middle-class family where Japanese was spoken at home (my mother is Japanese), and I was fortunate enough to be able to go to an International school.

My childhood was pretty normal, just like any other kid. I went to school, spent time with friends, and did all the typical stuff.

But slowly I started to realize a few problems of me being in this country, one of the problems being that I can't speak the local languages here. Me being in an international school, I never got around to really be able to talk to anyone in the local languages (Speaking anything other than English was prohibited in my school).

However, that isn't the only problem, there are multiple reasons why I hate my country, some reasons include:
- The weather (Hot blazing sun with max humidity or gloomy rainy days with max humidity)
- The fact that I can't talk to anyone or connect with them on a deeper level (this is a me problem, I know)
- Lack of opportunity

A couple weeks ago, I took a trip to Japan with my mother, and for the first time I actually felt like I was at home. I saw a land of opportunity, I saw myself actually being able to marry and have children there. I didn't have to rush across busy streets dodging cars, I didn't have to wear tank-tops, I COULD ACTUALLY TALK TO PEOPLE AND CONNECT WITH THEM. It was liberating, I nearly cried when I took the flight back.

For around two years I've been thinking about leaving Malaysia, and Japan has always been my first choice of escape. But after that trip, I KNOW FOR SURE that I want to stay there, It is without a doubt the country for me.

--- THE PROBLEM ---

Problem is, I don't have the money for it, I asked my parents, and they didn't want me leaving, so I'm on my own. For the past 7 months I've been learning how to code websites, but I can't help but feel like most of the time I was just action faking. I've tried cold calling / emailing but I haven't gotten a client yet. I feel like I'm focusing on the wrong thing. Right now I'm 16 and I never had a job, maybe I should get one? I've seen the window cleaning threads and I'm thinking of starting. I don't know, I just feel lost.

I'm fine with sleeping on the streets for a couple of months if that's what I need to do.

(NOTE: I'm not necessarily saying that Malaysia is a bad country, I'm just saying that It's not fit for ME, It just doesn't fit MY values and what I'M looking for.)
It sounds like a solvable problem, but making your decisions based on your feelings at the moment in a rush is not intelligent thinking.
Prepare a list of the things you need to do to build a life in Japan. Living on the streets is a very bad idea. There are surely other possibilities.
- Maybe your parents would allow you to do a year of school in Japan, or in another country. That way you can see if it is for you and such experiences will help you if you want to emigrate.
- If your mother is Japanese, you may have family in Japan. Get to know them and they may want to help you.

You will need to polish up your written Japanese and learn more about working there. Don't rush into something, but think it through and work towards your goal. Describe your goal for yourself and then make a step-by-step approach on how to get there.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It sounds like a solvable problem, but making your decisions based on your feelings at the moment in a rush is not intelligent thinking.
Prepare a list of the things you need to do to build a life in Japan. Living on the streets is a very bad idea. There are surely other possibilities.
- Maybe your parents would allow you to do a year of school in Japan, or in another country. That way you can see if it is for you and such experiences will help you if you want to emigrate.
- If your mother is Japanese, you may have family in Japan. Get to know them and they may want to help you.

You will need to polish up your written Japanese and learn more about working there. Don't rush into something, but think it through and work towards your goal. Describe your goal for yourself and then make a step-by-step approach on how to get there.
Good advice. Living on the streets is NOT a winning plan.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

- Lack of opportunity

--- THE PROBLEM ---

Research on visa and citizenship rules for your long term goals.

Are you still studying? Ya you can experiment with part-time job.

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa

- Lack of opportunity

--- THE PROBLEM ---

You outlined your goal well. A little patience and getting to know family in Japan will help.

Doing websites for smaller Japanese businesses.

Developing your own web presence in a niche that interests you.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
May 30, 2023
Whatever you do, just know the couple of next steps forward.

A book "Can't Hurt Me" will help you. I know because I'm living in a country I don't like and I'm migrating the hell out of here - you'll need skills and a fastlane business. For that you need a strong mind and this book will help you.

Don't postpone action. Perhaps websites like Fiverr and/or people per hour will help you, but freelancing is a... difficult thing which isn't much better than a job really.

Best of luck.

Moxy404

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 3, 2023
Thanks for all the replies :)

I think I'm gonna get a part time job and save up money to leave. Things get tough sometimes but I think I can get through this.

I'll update you guys when I can.

Moxy404

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 3, 2023
Whatever you do, just know the couple of next steps forward.

A book "Can't Hurt Me" will help you. I know because I'm living in a country I don't like and I'm migrating the hell out of here - you'll need skills and a fastlane business. For that you need a strong mind and this book will help you.

Don't postpone action. Perhaps websites like Fiverr and/or people per hour will help you, but freelancing is a... difficult thing which isn't much better than a job really.

Best of luck.
I read "Can't Hurt Me" and It was one of the books that changed the way I view life, amazing book.

I wish you good luck as well my friend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.