The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I can't focus on anything

Anything related to matters of the mind

zigirks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 27, 2021
Hey everyone, I am a 24 years old veterinary medicine student and have 2 years left to study. I am studying for free, my country gives free studies. I don't really like my studies and don't want to become a veterinarian anymore, so I'm trying to find something that I would love to do, to find my passion or at least learn some skills to earn money and become financially free at some point of my life, I don't hope anything to achieve fast.

But the problem is that it seems like I can't focus on anything. Everytime I start to do some side hustle, it lasts maybe for a few days and I start analysing if that's the correct thing to do and drown into analysis paralysis. Now I can't deside between trying to start a web design freelancing business or youtube channel ( editing, writing, creating are really strong skills for life and youtube channel creation teaches you those skills). I am also highly addicted from videos on youtube, especially self improvement content, I think that might be the reason why I can't focus.

So , how can I focus on something or how to choose one thing and stick with it? This analysis paralysis problem lasts for me for the past 2 years and it effects my life negatively a lot. Sorry for my bad english :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so I'm trying to find something that I would love to do, to find my passion

The market doesn't give a crap about your passion, or what you love.

That's not a good start if you're trying to earn money.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey everyone, I am a 24 years old veterinary medicine student and have 2 years left to study. I am studying for free, my country gives free studies. I don't really like my studies and don't want to become a veterinarian anymore, so I'm trying to find something that I would love to do, to find my passion or at least learn some skills to earn money and become financially free at some point of my life, I don't hope anything to achieve fast.

But the problem is that it seems like I can't focus on anything. Everytime I start to do some side hustle, it lasts maybe for a few days and I start analysing if that's the correct thing to do and drown into analysis paralysis. Now I can't deside between trying to start a web design freelancing business or youtube channel ( editing, writing, creating are really strong skills for life and youtube channel creation gives teaches you those skills). I am also highly addicted from videos on youtube, especially self improvement content, I think that might be the reason why I can't focus.

So , how can I focus on something or how to choose one thing and stick with it? This analysis paralysis problem lasts for me for the past 2 years and it effects my life negatively a lot. Sorry for my bad english :)
One of my favourite lines is by MJ:

“Money is proof you helped your fellow man.”

This might help you:

izyrion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 24, 2020

But the problem is that it seems like I can't focus on anything. Everytime I start to do some side hustle, it lasts maybe for a few days and I start analysing if that's the correct thing to do and drown into analysis paralysis. Now I can't deside between trying to start a web design freelancing business or youtube channel ( editing, writing, creating are really strong skills for life and youtube channel creation gives teaches you those skills). I am also highly addicted from videos on youtube, especially self improvement content, I think that might be the reason why I can't focus.

Going through analysis paralysis is usually a symptom of procrastination (which we all do). Take my advice how u would im just trying to help, but you have to change ur mentality on how u plan. Get into the mindset that there is not wrong or right answer and sometimes you are better off starting based off intuition. Ask what would be better for yourself in the future. (not everything is about money, take learning experience, skill development, and leverage into consideration as well) i know many people here would say "do what the market demands and not what u love" but the truth is that most if not all of the demands are mostly met and saturated, as long as ur not hopping into an extremely challenging business you should be fine, what is more important is your vision imo. Understand and be aware that analysis paralysis is basically just u doing nothing with extra steps and a fancy term. And that u are better off trying and failing and learning than just sitting there in ur own indecisive thoughts. That does not mean become an impulsive freak and go with the first decision that comes to mind, you still have to make thought out steps doing the research without over doing it. With that being said try to thoroughly plan, and when i mean thoroughly i mean literally sit down for a day and articulate every single move ur going to make daily, give yourself deadlines and plan according to your vision. Planning imo is a good remedy to procrastination also just stop being lazy and get working. Hope that helps, keep hustling brotha :D

Last edited:

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington

Analysis paralysis had been my bane starting out and I'm happy to report that now, years later, it's mostly under control. As far as dealing with this beast goes, it's better to just do something rather than think about doing something. For instance, if you're interested in freelance web design, you can watch all the videos about web design and starting your own freelancing gig until you're blue in the face, but until you actually start attempting to take on clients, getting your first project, delivering it, and getting paid.. well.. again, you can watch all the videos you want, you're not going to get paid just by doing that. Education is important, sure.. but all that knowledge is a waste without action.. and sometimes experience can be just as useful (or even more useful) to learn new things.

As for trying to find your path, don't sweat that too much. People often get caught up in the idea that "if I choose this one thing, all the other doors will close and then what if I regret it" but that's not really how life works. Yeah, choose one opportunity and others might disappear.. but no one ever thinks of the new set of opportunities that open up by choosing that first one. But like MJ said, trying to gauge what to do solely based on your passion isn't going to make you money. Your main concern should be finding a problem that you know how to solve -- or, if you don't know how, learn how to solve it effectively. Ideally, you'd want to find a problem you really care about and are passionate about solving THAT ALSO has value to a lot of people. This way you actually enjoy the process while providing value to customers who want to pay you for your work. Still, you can hate the process and make a ton of money; whether you like your work or not is irrelevant to the market. But if that's an important factor to you, you can't forget the market's need for what you're trying to offer.

But not to answer your question with another question but I'm curious: what do you fear the most when you're trying to make a decision like this? What do you think is keeping you from saying, "Okay, I'm gonna do this" and just running with it?

deciantis

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 25, 2021
Washington, DC

The book Fastlane answers that question (what to focus on). It discusses a series of tests. Is it scaleable, does it have magnitude, do you have full control... etc? Mixed with, What are your short-term goals? What are your long-term goals? What are your steps to get there? Once you have those set in place. Everything you do either takes time away from you or adds time towards those goals. Just do them. Your passion = "what would you be doing if money was not an issue" if you had enough so that you never gave it another thought about going to work or anything.

zigirks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 27, 2021
The market doesn't give a crap about your passion, or what you love.

That's not a good start if you're trying to earn money.
I know that it doesn't give a crap , but the thing is that I don't want to JUST earn money, I would love to do something that I find meaningful and earn money on top of that by solving problem in the world and really I probably don't want to solve someones business problems with web development although it seems to me more logical and real than to become a youtuber and create content. Maybe I just should choose the most realistic path for me and try to do something with it firstly.
Going through analysis paralysis is usually a symptom of procrastination (which we all do). Take my advice how u would im just trying to help, but you have to change ur mentality on how u plan. Get into the mindset that there is not wrong or right answer and sometimes you are better off starting based off intuition. Ask what would be better for yourself in the future. (not everything is about money, take learning experience, skill development, and leverage into consideration as well) i know many people here would say "do what the market demands and not what u love" but the truth is that most if not all of the demands are mostly met and saturated, as long as ur not hopping into an extremely challenging business you should be fine, what is more important is your vision imo. Understand and be aware that analysis paralysis is basically just u doing nothing with extra steps and a fancy term. And that u are better off trying and failing and learning than just sitting there in ur own indecisive thoughts. That does not mean become an impulsive freak and go with the first decision that comes to mind, you still have to make thought out steps doing the research without over doing it. With that being said try to thoroughly plan, and when i mean thoroughly i mean literally sit down for a day and articulate every single move ur going to make daily, give yourself deadlines and plan according to your vision. Planning imo is a good remedy to procrastination also just stop being lazy and get working. Hope that helps, keep hustling brotha :D
That's something I thought myself, I should plan, think about my future and I did that. The problem is that even when I'm doing everyting according to the plan I am feeling like I'm wasting my time and I should do something different. That's not only a bad mindset thing for me, it seems like my mind is ill, I formed bad habits for me and I just should relearn to stick with one thing in my life and try to focus.
Analysis paralysis had been my bane starting out and I'm happy to report that now, years later, it's mostly under control. As far as dealing with this beast goes, it's better to just do something rather than think about doing something. For instance, if you're interested in freelance web design, you can watch all the videos about web design and starting your own freelancing gig until you're blue in the face, but until you actually start attempting to take on clients, getting your first project, delivering it, and getting paid.. well.. again, you can watch all the videos you want, you're not going to get paid just by doing that. Education is important, sure.. but all that knowledge is a waste without action.. and sometimes experience can be just as useful (or even more useful) to learn new things.

As for trying to find your path, don't sweat that too much. People often get caught up in the idea that "if I choose this one thing, all the other doors will close and then what if I regret it" but that's not really how life works. Yeah, choose one opportunity and others might disappear.. but no one ever thinks of the new set of opportunities that open up by choosing that first one. But like MJ said, trying to gauge what to do solely based on your passion isn't going to make you money. Your main concern should be finding a problem that you know how to solve -- or, if you don't know how, learn how to solve it effectively. Ideally, you'd want to find a problem you really care about and are passionate about solving THAT ALSO has value to a lot of people. This way you actually enjoy the process while providing value to customers who want to pay you for your work. Still, you can hate the process and make a ton of money; whether you like your work or not is irrelevant to the market. But if that's an important factor to you, you can't forget the market's need for what you're trying to offer.

But not to answer your question with another question but I'm curious: what do you fear the most when you're trying to make a decision like this? What do you think is keeping you from saying, "Okay, I'm gonna do this" and just running with it?
The problem that I see in the world is that there's so much stuff in the internet that it creates more people like me who can't deside or feel stuck. When there's too much choises analysis paralysis or just procrastinating comes with that along. I think that if I would teach myself to make other people take action by creating content I would be able to create a business that's not tied to my time like web development for example. Also, I just feel too dumb and incompetent right now to solve this problem, even I myself can't solve it and I don't want to become some guru who just sells a not working idea. I would love to bring a real value to people. Probably only execution would show me if I would be able to succeed in it.

"what do you fear the most when you're trying to make a decision like this?" - I am afraid of choosing the wrong path, I am afraid to choose business path that's too hard for me and to choose something that doesn't inspire me. The fear was created because of my waiting and not taking action and now I feel like I can't waste any time anymore by choosing the wrong path

IThe book Fastlane answers that question (what to focus on). It discusses a series of tests. Is it scaleable, does it have magnitude, do you have full control... etc? Mixed with, What are your short-term goals? What are your long-term goals? What are your steps to get there? Once you have those set in place. Everything you do either takes time away from you or adds time towards those goals. Just do them. Your passion = "what would you be doing if money was not an issue" if you had enough so that you never gave it another thought about going to work or anything.
I'm going to read this book again and more carefully, I feel that I can still learn a lot from it.

Thanks everyone for the answers so much, I've asked a few questions previously in other forums and never got any answers, that's a really good feeling to get so much support. You all form a really great and helpful community :)

Last edited:

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
I think that if I would teach myself to make other people take action by creating content I would be able to create a business that's not tied to my time like web development for example. Also, I just feel too dumb and incompetent right now to solve this problem, even I myself can't solve it and I don't want to become some guru who just sells a not working idea. I would love to bring a real value to people. Probably only execution would show me if I would be able to succeed in it.

"what do you fear the most when you're trying to make a decision like this?" - I am afraid of choosing the wrong path, I am afraid to choose business path that's too hard for me and to choose something that doesn't inspire me. The fear was created because of my waiting and not taking action and now I feel like I can't waste any time anymore by choosing the wrong path
Well, like I said, I encourage you to shift your perspective from "if I choose x, I'm missing out on y and z choices" to "if I choose x, I'll be able to potentially do a, b, and c down the line." You'll also come to find that the doors to y and z were never fully shut to begin with; there are very few things in life that are truly "I can't go back/start again" events. But I know how real that anxiety still feels and what you feel now is still valid -- just like I said though, it'll take some work to shift your perspective and attitude from something negative to something more positive.

As far as that first bit though, I wouldn't entertain the idea that you're dumb or incompetent. Such thoughts aren't useful and only feed into analysis paralysis because now you're fighting your mind, trying to simultaneously convince yourself it's possible while telling yourself you're not able to. If you don't know how to do something (like web design), learn. Take a course on Udemy or watch some YouTube videos.. find people who already do web design and just ask them how they got started. It might take you some time to get to the point where you feel comfortable charging people for website stuff but in order to get to that point, you need to do something... and in order to get to client work, you need to first learn how to do that work. In order to make a million dollars, you need to make your first ten.

It's a skill anyone can learn, but it takes effort, patience, and a willingness to put in the time to get to where you wanna go -- and that's true of any undertaking, from learning how to play piano or building a billion-dollar business or riding a bike. You clearly have interest in at least learning and self-improvement.. but here's the rub when it comes to analysis paralysis:

Indecision implies that you feel the need to do something because your current situation isn't what you want it to be (if you were content, you wouldn't be trying to decide on fulfilling a need because those would already be fulfilled). And if all you know is that you don't want to be in this current position, use this as an opportunity to explore. Try out web design for a month or two and see how you like it -- but be consistent with it. If you find you really hate it, okay cross that off your list and do something else. If you love it and want to progress further, keep climbing. Rinse and repeat for any choice you make. To be honest, I'd rather spend two months learning I didn't like doing something and then switching gears than spending two months never starting anything because of all the "what ifs" in my head of missed opportunities -- none of which would even happen anyway if you sit and do nothing.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a dick or judgmental. I know how much anxiety such a position can cause. But it's kind of the same thing my mentor/counselor said when I was trying to figure out my remaining gen. ed credits for university: use those credits as an opportunity to take courses you otherwise wouldn't have tried. Take a course in something random you know absolutely nothing about.. or in your case, just explore and do something.. ANYTHING. Because at the end of the day, you'll either like the thing you're doing and it helps you progress (yay, keep doing it) or you despise it or it doesn't serve your goals (then stop and do something else).

There's no right or wrong path to life, bud. There's just *the* path; if you find that you're not going the way you want, just blaze the trail in a new direction. And if you need to, take a breather so as not to burn out. But from the sound of it, it's time to keep going. All you can hope for is enjoying the journey and meeting some cool people to walk together with for however long. So just take some deep breaths, relax, dust yourself off, and go explore. You got this. And keep telling yourself that until you drown out all the other noise trying to convince you you don't.

zigirks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 27, 2021
Well, like I said, I encourage you to shift your perspective from "if I choose x, I'm missing out on y and z choices" to "if I choose x, I'll be able to potentially do a, b, and c down the line." You'll also come to find that the doors to y and z were never fully shut to begin with; there are very few things in life that are truly "I can't go back/start again" events. But I know how real that anxiety still feels and what you feel now is still valid -- just like I said though, it'll take some work to shift your perspective and attitude from something negative to something more positive.

As far as that first bit though, I wouldn't entertain the idea that you're dumb or incompetent. Such thoughts aren't useful and only feed into analysis paralysis because now you're fighting your mind, trying to simultaneously convince yourself it's possible while telling yourself you're not able to. If you don't know how to do something (like web design), learn. Take a course on Udemy or watch some YouTube videos.. find people who already do web design and just ask them how they got started. It might take you some time to get to the point where you feel comfortable charging people for website stuff but in order to get to that point, you need to do something... and in order to get to client work, you need to first learn how to do that work. In order to make a million dollars, you need to make your first ten.

It's a skill anyone can learn, but it takes effort, patience, and a willingness to put in the time to get to where you wanna go -- and that's true of any undertaking, from learning how to play piano or building a billion-dollar business or riding a bike. You clearly have interest in at least learning and self-improvement.. but here's the rub when it comes to analysis paralysis:

Indecision implies that you feel the need to do something because your current situation isn't what you want it to be (if you were content, you wouldn't be trying to decide on fulfilling a need because those would already be fulfilled). And if all you know is that you don't want to be in this current position, use this as an opportunity to explore. Try out web design for a month or two and see how you like it -- but be consistent with it. If you find you really hate it, okay cross that off your list and do something else. If you love it and want to progress further, keep climbing. Rinse and repeat for any choice you make. To be honest, I'd rather spend two months learning I didn't like doing something and then switching gears than spending two months never starting anything because of all the "what ifs" in my head of missed opportunities -- none of which would even happen anyway if you sit and do nothing.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a dick or judgmental. I know how much anxiety such a position can cause. But it's kind of the same thing my mentor/counselor said when I was trying to figure out my remaining gen. ed credits for university: use those credits as an opportunity to take courses you otherwise wouldn't have tried. Take a course in something random you know absolutely nothing about.. or in your case, just explore and do something.. ANYTHING. Because at the end of the day, you'll either like the thing you're doing and it helps you progress (yay, keep doing it) or you despise it or it doesn't serve your goals (then stop and do something else).

There's no right or wrong path to life, bud. There's just *the* path; if you find that you're not going the way you want, just blaze the trail in a new direction. And if you need to, take a breather so as not to burn out. But from the sound of it, it's time to keep going. All you can hope for is enjoying the journey and meeting some cool people to walk together with for however long. So just take some deep breaths, relax, dust yourself off, and go explore. You got this. And keep telling yourself that until you drown out all the other noise trying to convince you you don't.
Thank you, I needed those kind of words a lot, I've always tried to do everything by myself, to be lonely in difficult situations but it seems like it was wrong mindset. You are right, deep down I thought similar things as you wrote there but maybe I just needed some encouraging words and approval. Now I will try to take action and see with my own eyes which path is more suitable for me. I will probably come back there from time to time to read again what you wrote there if I feel anxious again. I'm truly thankful, you really helped me.

Metz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Apr 12, 2019
NW Washington
Any time, bud. Sometimes we just need a little reminder from time to time.

izyrion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 24, 2020
That's something I thought myself, I should plan, think about my future and I did that. The problem is that even when I'm doing everyting according to the plan I am feeling like I'm wasting my time and I should do something different. That's not only a bad mindset thing for me, it seems like my mind is ill, I formed bad habits for me and I just should relearn to stick with one thing in my life and try to focus.
70% of entrepreneuring feels like a waste a time, that is what i heard from Gary Vee take that as u will. If multi millionaire has no clue wtf hes doing half the time u wont either just keep working bro ....

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I'm trying to find something that I would love to do, to find my passion or at least learn some skills to earn money and become financially free at some point of my life, I don't hope anything to achieve fast.

But the problem is that it seems like I can't focus on anything. Everytime I start to do some side hustle, it lasts maybe for a few days and I start analysing if that's the correct thing to do and drown into analysis paralysis. Now I can't deside between trying to start a web design freelancing business or youtube channel ( editing, writing, creating are really strong skills for life and youtube channel creation teaches you those skills).

You appear to have basic goals.

"Financially free"
"I don't hope to achieve anything fast"

You could just get a job, save some money, get a house and then get a few more and be a real estate investor and not have to work after your 40's.

But that must not be good enough for you, which explains why you keep quitting. You are looking for a perfect opportunity which is why nothing is good enough to keep going.

The most basic businesses can be extremely profitable and scalable with time, effort, and good strategy. Bro, I mow lawns and make 15k a month and work a few hours a week managing employees. Should be double next year.

You will not be financially free from side hustles (99% of the time).

We all go through what you're going through at some point. I remember working at safeway for $10 an hour. I remember my first full time job and going to school and not knowing what I was going to do. I had no idea, all I said was I was going to be rich as F*ck doing something. This was just around 5 short years ago.

While you're figuring things out, I recommend getting clear on some things that will be true in the future no matter what. You're going to wish you had a great body. You're going to wish you were charismatic and good with girls. You're going to wish you had stuck with the things you started. So start with those basic things that will always be true. When 3 years come and go, you will have your bases covered, and whether you start a great business or not, you will be in a much better position, and will have a lot of the things needed to succeed should a good opportunity pop into your head. Health, energy, confidence, charisma, discipline, relationships, experience, etc.

Age 19-21 that's all I was doing. Lifting weights, reading books, slayin poon, busting my a$$, climbing mountains. I was broke as a joke but when it was time for me to start a business, those things paid dividends like nothing else. I got a sales job, saved my money, started my business, and it was off to the races.

That's my $0.02

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

But the problem is that it seems like I can't focus on anything. Everytime I start to do some side hustle, it lasts maybe for a few days and I start analysing if that's the correct thing to do and drown into analysis paralysis. Now I can't deside between trying to start a web design freelancing business or youtube channel ( editing, writing, creating are really strong skills for life and youtube channel creation teaches you those skills). I am also highly addicted from videos on youtube, especially self improvement content, I think that might be the reason why I can't focus.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqWN7IVzwU&t=1186s

Starting a business or trying to figure out money first?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

What you focus on is where your attention goes. The world is filled with shopping isles. What kind of shampoo do you want to buy today? You can waste an hour reading all the labels. You can look at the logo's, the ingredients, smell it, and feel the texture.

The world is over saturated with many different shampoos in every country. All those entrepreneurs just decided to create their own.

Then you have the younger generation who came along and said "Let's save the planet!" Let's get rid of these plastic bottles and figure out some other way to create shampoo in different shapes, forms, and containers that are biodegradable.

New Market.

Some even see the cigarette butts laying around and decided to create surf boards out of them.

Some saw there were tons of flip flops floating around the oceans, lakes, rivers and said what can we create with these flip flops? Floors, walls, clothes, etc.

Be an inventor and do something different then other people do. There's all kinds of garbage, clothes, antiques, thrift shops of all the junk we throw out and that can by recycled into something else.

What are you focusing on around your environment. What are people sick of looking at all the time. The eye soar. It smells bad. It tastes like crap. It sounds bad. It feels terrible. Use your five senses.

What can't you stand about this world? How can you improve it?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOf9zqUcnQ0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38S44vJqRT8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-R5n8jjbFM

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOrN3rupbg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLL4PW4LZT8

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.