The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Buy A Ferrari for $20K

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I would like to add this LEGENDARY blog post by biophase:

How You Can Make $120k/yr with a $30k Ebiz Store » Live Learn Invest

I am the friend.

Ended up low on expectations for value during the first phase.(probably wouldn't have been the case without the google updates), but may end up higher than expectations after phase 2 -- too soon to tell.

It's always surprising to us that people can't run calculations ahead of time and figure out a really good range of what you can expect to happen.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I am the friend.

Ended up low on expectations for value during the first phase.(probably wouldn't have been the case without the google updates), but may end up higher than expectations after phase 2 -- too soon to tell.

It's always surprising to us that people can't run calculations ahead of time and figure out a really good range of what you can expect to happen.

Very motivational stuff..

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
The Get Rich Slowly Forums • View topic - Another "get rich quick" or solid advice?

SMH @ those people saying those deals are NOT possible

yes they are, you're just not aware of them so you assume they are hard. that's kind of the point of the article. people like you assume things are "too good to be true", so you assume it's rare, and you just keep mindlessly grinding away saying, "that can't be done." guys like you are great examples as to why making a lot of money is easy, because it's non-competitive since so many people like you give up before you even try.

there's nothing wrong with not trying, that's fine. it's better for the people who want to make a lot of money. it's silly to state things you have no idea about thought just because you're too lazy to figure them out.

index.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I don't know about all states in the US, but in many you can purchase a bond for self-insurance purposes. The difference is how smart your money is spent. Insuring a Ferrari probably comes with steep premiums. As far as liability goes, your average auto insurance policy only covers your a$$ for about $35K. You could still be hugely affected by liability beyond your means.

$35k liability is probably the min in whatever state you live in. Which drives me nuts because if you nail me I'm screwed. I have $1m which at least will cover a decent amount of medical, with I think a bit more behind that, I'd have to ask my insurance agent.

The car is cheap, its the liability that costs. Adding a 575M to my policy would be about $1k a year.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
So a few weeks ago I'm looking at this 2006 Ferrari 360 Modena in red with nice wheels. Asking price is about $100k. I'm not one to spend $100k on a car, because every time I've had money I've put it into investments. So my other thought was I should just buy an investment condo which returns about 8% per year.

But then I came across an ecommerce store for sale for $100k which puts out $100k a year or $8k a month.

This got my thinking. Why would I ever pay $100k cash for a car or buy real estate if I could purchase online stores like these?

So I did some numbers and I could do the following:

Buy the store for $100k
Take the $8k monthly
Which is $6k after taxes
Buy a Ferrari with $3000/mo payments
Buy a home with $3000/mo payments
Why wouldn't this work?

And why doesn't everyone do this?

Poke some holes in this plan please or else I'm going to implement it this year. :)

I don't know if I missed this or just forgot about this thread.

So did you get the website, the car and the house?

Is the 100K per year with someone else running the entire business?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know if I missed this or just forgot about this thread.

So did you get the website, the car and the house?

Is the 100K per year with someone else running the entire business?

We did not get the website. We bid $100k and someone paid $150k for it. Instead I just decided to pay for the car in cash. I didn't get the condo, although it would be worth maybe $20k more now, whereas my Ferrari is worth $15k less. :)

It was $100k per year with me running it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
too good to be true?

Visit the site advertised. It looks like a bunch of spammy blog posts, the type spammers try to post here.

There's no way that thing earns what it claims. It has an Alexa ranking of over 6,000,000. It is impossible to obtain this type of revenue from, ha, 3 visitors a day?

Some perspective, Fastlane has a ranking of 21,000.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Visit the site advertised. It looks like a bunch of spammy blog posts, the type spammers try to post here

I looked at the website and read some of the stuff on there. And I almost laughed at just how stupid and useless they were. There is no way this thing is a success. It offers ZERO VALUE.

The way scamming works is they try to get you to think that YOU the buyer are scamming the seller when in fact YOU are getting scammed. They target your greed.

Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch. Where is the VALUE that warrants such an income? There is no value. So yea i think its obvious it is too good to be true.

Seriously read some of the posts there for a laugh; it looks like a 1st grader with english as a second language wrote them.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
The way scamming works is they try to get you to think that YOU the buyer are scamming the seller when in fact YOU are getting scammed. They target your greed.

I wonder how some biz sellers FAKE revenues - fake Paypal screenshots are nothing new, but what are more tricks they use to fake what a biz makes?

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe he's listing it to drive traffic to the site as well

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I wonder how some biz sellers FAKE revenues - fake Paypal screenshots are nothing new, but what are more tricks they use to fake what a biz makes?

This is off topic but your comment reminds me of the saying in Accounting: What is 2+2? Answer: Whatever you want it to be!

In this day and age almost anything can be faked. The key IMO is to verify and observe. Look behind the scenes: Where is the value? Where is the value exchange? Is it feasible?

I looked on the that website and it looks like ZERO people share the articles on social networks(Facebook share, pin it etc.)

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I really can't get in touch with MJ, and knowing since he is in the limp/lead generation business...

I felt I had to share a company I have had some great interest in...(MJ, maybe you want to get into the charter brokering business).

https://flippa.com/2979163-pr-3-private-jet-charter-site-with-3-177-uniques-mo-making-over-8-473-mo

Private Jet Charter site... just this month January, of 2014, made $ 14,349 PROFIT... requires no licensing, easy to run/manage with just a few hours a day...

If anyone is serious about spending some money to buy it and run it...I see it as a huge money maker. Do your own due diligence especially since its a whopping $190,000 to buy. Which I can state will easily be recouped in a year and a half, since avg. monthly earnings are only $ 8,473.00

NOTE: I would buy the company on my own, if I had the funds to do so.
Note 2: I am not responsible for your laziness in doing your research.

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
ive been looking to buy up a few successfull online stores that are succeeding but could flourish under correct management... where do you find these?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
There are some really smart people here.

Thanks for your great shares.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I really can't get in touch with MJ, and knowing since he is in the limp/lead generation business...

I felt I had to share a company I have had some great interest in...(MJ, maybe you want to get into the charter brokering business).

https://flippa.com/2979163-pr-3-private-jet-charter-site-with-3-177-uniques-mo-making-over-8-473-mo

Private Jet Charter site... just this month January, of 2014, made $ 14,349 PROFIT... requires no licensing, easy to run/manage with just a few hours a day...

If anyone is serious about spending some money to buy it and run it...I see it as a huge money maker. Do your own due diligence especially since its a whopping $190,000 to buy. Which I can state will easily be recouped in a year and a half, since avg. monthly earnings are only $ 8,473.00

I actually like this business. It's simple and easy to manage and run. What you are buying is the website position and traffic and the contacts to the jet owners for $190,000. I would be asking to see more of a monthly profit breakdown. I bet that there are many ups and downs. One $50k booking can change your whole month.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Biophase...the site was up for auction for a total of 10 days setup on flippa..its been 3 days and I called the owner to see what was acceptavle for him for me to take a loan and buy it...

Guess what happened? It was sold :/

The calls proof he shows, he gets around hundreds of calls a month for quotes, or something to this extent...and the old man only picks up 1 in 50 it looks like...

The site ranking is what was worth it all, I trued numerous cities in a number of different keyword combinations, when he says he is pr 3 for them all, HE WAS right.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN

My buddy has a charter biz with a few jets and props. He said there is tons of unused capacity in that biz, many deadheads etc...But the booking biz is very fragmented. I'm a bit puzzled why it hasn't consolidated already. Doesn't make much sense to me why there isn't a dominant central marketplace for this. He didn't know either. It'd be easy for the existing sites such as travelocity etc... to add this marketplace.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I'm a bit puzzled why it hasn't consolidated already. Doesn't make much sense to me why there isn't a dominant central marketplace for this. He didn't know either. It'd be easy for the existing sites such as travelocity etc... to add this marketplace.

Want a straight answer, without trying to sound harsh?

The rich or wealthy have no reason to go to travelocity.com
They spend and I've seen reports/earnings of the seller of the above site, the avg trip costs 40-70,000$ USD. depending on the jet size chosen and hours of travel but goes down as low as 15k$ USD.

They spend that money on a few hours worth of a flight, from Texas to California, or Florida to NJ, even from NY to PA.

What I want to get at is, the users of these luxury jets don't look at price tags. Travelocity and expedia and so on are concentrated on people making less a few million a year.

In my opinion, according to what I have seen, brokers make money, in EVERY MARKET- charter brokers make 5-10% commission. What are the costs to run a company like that? Less than $1,000 a month. $2-3,500.00 if you hire a kid in college to run it for you.

1. Find a product/service.
2. Find a buyer for the product/service.
3. Increase the price of the product/service.
4. Take the money from the buyer.
5. Keep a cut for yourself.
6. Give the money to the supplier.
7. Give product/service to buyer.
8. The End.

- It doesn't really take capital to sell anything ranging from 1$ to $1,000,000, as LONG AS YOU can ensure that what they are paying for, they will receive. (You can tell it takes more work for larger deals, but they exist, where you wouldn't need more than just your cell-phone and an internet connection).

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I was mostly addressing the unused capacity that every charter has. This is still fragmented. Deadheads, planes sitting at destination for days on end etc....it's still inefficient.

Want a straight answer, without trying to sound harsh?

The rich or wealthy have no reason to go to travelocity.com
They spend and I've seen reports/earnings of the seller of the above site, the avg trip costs 40-70,000$ USD. depending on the jet size chosen and hours of travel but goes down as low as 15k$ USD.

They spend that money on a few hours worth of a flight, from Texas to California, or Florida to NJ, even from NY to PA.

What I want to get at is, the users of these luxury jets don't look at price tags. Travelocity and expedia and so on are concentrated on people making less a few million a year.

In my opinion, according to what I have seen, brokers make money, in EVERY MARKET- charter brokers make 5-10% commission. What are the costs to run a company like that? Less than $1,000 a month. $2-3,500.00 if you hire a kid in college to run it for you.

1. Find a product/service.
2. Find a buyer for the product/service.
3. Increase the price of the product/service.
4. Take the money from the buyer.
5. Keep a cut for yourself.
6. Give the money to the supplier.
7. Give product/service to buyer.
8. The End.

- It doesn't really take capital to sell anything ranging from 1$ to $1,000,000, as LONG AS YOU can ensure that what they are paying for, they will receive. (You can tell it takes more work for larger deals, but they exist, where you wouldn't need more than just your cell-phone and an internet connection).

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
I had a business partner that refused to let me buy him out or buy my half and I wanted out. So we put it up for sale and dropped the price to 1x earnings. Still no buyers for various reasons. Eventually I was able to buy him out for a premium but for 1 year my business was up for grabs for 1x earnings.

This is EXACTLY why I say consult with an attorney prior to entering any sort of a biz agreement with anyone.

Don't just trust the bullshit legalzoom ones (not saying you did). They are literally shit based on what my attorneys tell me.

I know it sucks if you're just starting and think you don't have a lot of money but having a proper agreement IN WRITING can save your a$$ down the road.

In my agreement, for example, I hold all the cards and the control. I own the majority of the company and if we decide to split, the partner can either name a price that I'm comfortable with or we get the business valued and that's the price that's paid. Period.

I hate paying attorneys just like everyone else but getting everything set up the right way can save a lot of these headaches down the road...

UKSTEVE

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 7, 2015
I am a web guy and I invest heavily in revenue producing websites as well. Currently I have about 20 smaller websites earning between $50 - $800/mo each, I felt it was a better play from a risk standpoint to diversify into a basket of websites.

There is excellent deals out there for 8x-15x monthly revenue if you know what to look for and can continue to build upon the property once you acquire, resulting in close to 100% yearly returns.

zen******* has outlined most of the things to look for when shopping for a website, one of my biggest is looking for under optimized sites with poor on/offsite SEO which have a huge upside when ranking higher for targeted keywords.

This has been very successful for me so far, but you do need to really closely analyze the websites and try to poke as many holes in the deal as you can. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone without a strong technical background as it does take a lot of time, expertise, effort and a special skillset.

It takes a while to build up a portfolio of gems, but the returns you can see are unbelievable.

FiveStar

I am based in the U.K. and I was wondering if any of you have successful, passive, automated websites in America (serving only US customers) who might be interested in licensing a 'clone' of the business to be run in Europe. I would be happy to pay an upfront fee (say 25% of value) and then 25% of profits ongoing for the right business. You would have full access to it and it would be run exactly as the original bar a few tweeks for currency etc. In return I would run it in this territory and source product as appropriate. Anyone interested? (FiveStar?)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm bumping this for a reason...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I didn't understand why until I read my original post. On it!! Will make a post later today. :)

Actually it's not the reason you're thinking (my apologies for bumping it up with respect to your recent "activities") but I look forward to reading whatever you report!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.