What's new

How to Buy A McLaren for $20K

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
So this thread was started by me in 2011.

NOTABLE! - How to Buy A Ferrari for $20K

Now it's 2018 and the title should probably be changed to How to Buy a Mclaren for $20k.

I have a progress thread on the inside and I'm going to copy and paste excerpts that are relevant to this post.

Posted on July 8, 2018

So, sometime around the February of this year I got the itch again to get an exotic car. I almost pulled the trigger on a McLaren MP4-12C. I literally had my checkbook out at the dealer and we were $3000 apart on price.

I almost wrote a $130,000 check for a car that day and a funny thing happened after I went home though. I called my business broker that sold my business and asked him if he had any business listings asking between $100k-$150k. The next day he sent me 2 businesses that met my criteria. One was asking $150k and profiting $60k, or $5k a month.

Here was my thinking. I was approved for a $130k loan at 3.2% for the car. My monthly payment would have been $2340 a month for 60 months.

So if I purchased a $150k business, it would pay for my car loan AND I'd have $2660/mo cashflow. Granted I'd have to spend an extra $20k than the outright purchase of the car AND I'd have to run another business. But looking at the numbers it makes no sense to pay cash for that car.

Given my track record, I believe that I can make this business work for 3 years even though it was very Amazon dominated in sales. I figured worse case scenario is the business peters out and I sell it to someone else in 3 years for $50k after I've paid off my car loan.

But I decided not to go that route.

What I did was start yet another business. My new business launched in February and is steadily growing. This niche is not allowed on Amazon so it is a 100% your own URL ecommerce business. Sales are growing and May was its best month so far, June was a little crappy because I ran out of stock in the middle of the month.

I have since purchased alot more inventory and hope to see a good July. Profit in May was about $2800, and June dropped to $2000. But I'm really close to making that Mclaren payment already. Another couple months of steady plus $2500 profits and I've told myself I'm getting that car in October.

August 4, 2018 (I flip flopped on my car choice)

I'm going to call this the 458 business because that's my goal for this one. It did about $2500/mo profit, but I had to shell out about $800 in lab tests this month.

September 21, 2018

This one did $2300 last month. It's trending sideways. Again, no advertising costs at all. Just social media posts.

November 21, 2018

So I am changing its name from the 458 business officially to the MP4-12C business because I finally pulled the trigger and a McLaren is heading to my house as I type this. This business has been hovering up and down between $7-$10k a month gross and profiting between $2-$3k. I was hoping that it would grow faster, but at this point it's not too bad.

December 3, 2018

So I sort of cheated on this goal. I got my Mclaren today and yesterday I calculated that my business #2 only made about $20,000 this year (since Feb). So that's $2,000/mo and I really needed $2,275 to make the payment. So I'm $275 short, but who cares. I wanted the car for the Arizona winter. :)

It's parked in my warehouse because I have no garage room due to the home remodel.

TODAY

So looking back at this progress thread, in March I almost bought a Mclaren for $130k. Instead I decided to start a business that would pay for its payments. This business was in the works since January, so I don't want people thinking that it launched in a single month. My first inventory order for this business was just around $20,000. Since then it has sustained itself without any more capital infusion.

To date, it has made an average of $2000/mo. A car loan for my Mclaren would have been $2275/mo. So I'm coming out of pocket $275/mo for the Mclaren. But in essence, you could say that I bought a Mclaren for $20,000 so to speak.

D424D5C9-189F-4D24-AB20-D746DF6471EA.webp
IMG_2130.GIF 0.webp 22.webp View attachment 22760

Last edited:
Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
Tu vjot vjsief xet tvesvif cz ni op 2011. Pux ov't 2018 epf vji vovmi tjuamf qsucecmz ci djephif vu Jux vu Caz e Ndmesip gus $20l.

O jewi e qsuhsitt vjsief up vji optofi epf O'n huoph vu duqz epf qetvi iydisqvt vjev esi simiwepv vu vjot qutv.

Qutvif up Kamz 8, 2018

Tu, tunivoni esuapf vji Gicsaesz ug vjot zies O huv vji ovdj eheop vu hiv ep iyuvod des. O emnutv qammif vji vsohhis up e NdMesip NQ4-12D. O movisemmz jef nz djidlcuul uav ev vji fiemis epf xi xisi $3000 eqesv up qsodi.

O emnutv xsuvi e $130,000 djidl gus e des vjev fez epf e gappz vjoph jeqqipif egvis O xipv juni vjuahj. O demmif nz catopitt csulis vjev tumf nz catopitt epf etlif jon og ji jef epz catopitt motvopht etloph civxiip $100l-$150l. Vji piyv fez ji tipv ni 2 catopittit vjev niv nz dsovisoe. Upi xet etloph $150l epf qsugovoph $60l, us $5l e nupvj.

Jisi xet nz vjoploph. O xet eqqsuwif gus e $130l muep ev 3.2% gus vji des. Nz nupvjmz qeznipv xuamf jewi ciip $2340 e nupvj gus 60 nupvjt.

Tu og O qasdjetif e $150l catopitt, ov xuamf qez gus nz des muep EPF O'f jewi $2660/nu detjgmux. Hsepvif O'f jewi vu tqipf ep iyvse $20l vjep vji uavsohjv qasdjeti ug vji des EPF O'f jewi vu sap epuvjis catopitt. Cav muuloph ev vji pancist ov nelit pu tipti vu qez detj gus vjev des.

Howip nz vsedl sidusf, O cimoiwi vjev O dep neli vjot catopitt xusl gus 3 ziest iwip vjuahj ov xet wisz Enebup funopevif op temit. O gohasif xusti deti tdipesou ot vji catopitt qivist uav epf O timm ov vu tuniupi imti op 3 ziest gus $50l egvis O'wi qeof ugg nz des muep.

Cav O fidofif puv vu hu vjev suavi.

Xjev O fof xet tvesv ziv epuvjis catopitt. Nz pix catopitt meapdjif op Gicsaesz epf ot tviefomz hsuxoph. Vjot podji ot puv emmuxif up Enebup tu ov ot e 100% zuas uxp ASM idunnisdi catopitt. Temit esi hsuxoph epf Nez xet ovt citv nupvj tu ges, Kapi xet e movvmi dseqqz cideati O sep uav ug tvudl op vji noffmi ug vji nupvj.

O jewi topdi qasdjetif emuv nusi opwipvusz epf juqi vu tii e huuf Kamz. Qsugov op Nez xet ecuav $2800, epf Kapi fsuqqif vu $2000. Cav O'n siemmz dmuti vu neloph vjev Ndmesip qeznipv emsiefz. Epuvjis duaqmi nupvjt ug tviefz qmat $2500 qsugovt epf O'wi vumf nztimg O'n hivvoph vjev des op Udvucis.

Eahatv 4, 2018 (O gmoq gmuqqif up nz des djuodi)

O'n huoph vu demm vjot vji 458 catopitt cideati vjev't nz huem gus vjot upi. Ov fof ecuav $2500/nu qsugov, cav O jef vu tjimm uav ecuav $800 op mec vitvt vjot nupvj.

Tiqvincis 21, 2018

Vjot upi fof $2300 metv nupvj. Ov't vsipfoph tofixezt. Eheop, pu efwisvotoph dutvt ev emm. Katv tudoem nifoe qutvt.

Puwincis 21, 2018

Tu O en djephoph ovt peni gsun vji 458 catopitt uggodoemmz vu vji NQ4-12D catopitt cideati O gopemmz qammif vji vsohhis epf e NdMesip ot jiefoph vu nz juati et O vzqi vjot. Vjot catopitt jet ciip juwisoph aq epf fuxp civxiip $7-$10l e nupvj hsutt epf qsugovoph civxiip $2-$3l. O xet juqoph vjev ov xuamf hsux getvis, cav ev vjot quopv ov't puv vuu cef.

Fidincis 3, 2018

Tu O tusv ug djievif up vjot huem. O huv nz Ndmesip vufez epf zitvisfez O demdamevif vjev nz catopitt #2 upmz nefi ecuav $20,000 vjot zies (topdi Gic). Tu vjev't $2,000/nu epf O siemmz piifif $2,275 vu neli vji qeznipv. Tu O'n $275 tjusv, cav xju desit. O xepvif vji des gus vji Esobupe xopvis. :)

Ov't qeslif op nz xesijuati cideati O jewi pu hesehi suun fai vu vji juni sinufim.

VUFEZ

Tu muuloph cedl ev vjot qsuhsitt vjsief, op Nesdj O emnutv cuahjv e Ndmesip gus $130l. Optvief O fidofif vu tvesv e catopitt vjev xuamf qez gus ovt qeznipvt. Vjot catopitt xet op vji xuslt topdi Kepaesz, tu O fup'v xepv qiuqmi vjoploph vjev ov meapdjif op e tophmi nupvj. Nz gostv opwipvusz usfis gus vjot catopitt xet katv esuapf $20,000. Topdi vjip ov jet tatveopif ovtimg xovjuav epz nusi deqovem opgatoup.

Vu fevi, ov jet nefi ep ewisehi ug $2000/nu. E des muep gus nz Ndmesip xuamf jewi ciip $2275/nu. Tu O'n dunoph uav ug qudliv $275/nu gus vji Ndmesip. Cav op ittipdi, zua duamf tez vjev O cuahjv e Ndmesip gus $20,000 tu vu tqiel.

View attachment 22757 View attachment 22758 View attachment 22759 View attachment 22760
Muwi vji des, epf vji xez zua vjopl.

Ipkuz!

Vjot ot ep exituni tvusz, epf O katv muwi vjev zua vaspif ep ofie vu hiv e muep gus e des opvu hipisevoph ep opduni vu qez gus zuas moecomovz. Duphsevt, nep.

Muwi vji dupdiqv...O xuamf fu vjot up e tnemmis tdemi gus nz iwiszfez des/nusvhehi/ivd.

150l dep hiv zua 4-5 tovit @ esuapf 1l e nupvj qis tovi. Sifadi vji sotl ug cazoph katv 1 tovi. Tdemi vji tovit opvu 3l iedj e nupvj. Dupvopai vu qez vji des ugg. Timm vji tovit op 3 ziest. Timm vji des. Siqiev mum.

O demmif nz catopitt csulis vjev tumf nz catopitt epf etlif jon og ji jef epz catopitt motvopht etloph civxiip $100l-$150l. Vji piyv fez ji tipv ni 2 catopittit vjev niv nz dsovisoe. Upi xet etloph $150l epf qsugovoph $60l, us $5l e nupvj.
Dep zua tjesi zuas qsuditt up jux zua gopf epf iwemaevi vjiti upmopi catopitt zua djuuti vu caz?
O'n seploph zua et ep upmopi wistoup ug Xessip Caggivv!

Duphsevt.

O jewi e jupitv siem xusmf raitvoup ecuav ov vjuahj.

Fof zua gedvus op uxpistjoq dutvt op vjiti tivaq tdipesout?

Vjopht moli vey ( qasdjeti epf sipixemt ), optasepdi qsinoant ( O xet vjoploph $250-$350 e nupvj ev mietv ), neopvipepdi ( iwisz 10l-15l nomit ecuav $2l up vosit, qmat uvjis vjopht ).

O lpux vjiti esi emm wesoecmi qis tovaevoup, cav duamf ci tunivjoph gus uvjist vu vjopl ecuav epf gedvus op cigusi vjiz neli vji teni kanq epf siemobi vjiz nohjv piif epuvjis $600 nupvjmz vu uxp ov epf ati ov.

Muwi vji 2pf metv qod!

Muwi vji dupdiqv...O xuamf fu vjot up e tnemmis tdemi gus nz iwiszfez des/nusvhehi/ivd.

150l dep hiv zua 4-5 tovit @ esuapf 1l e nupvj qis tovi. Sifadi vji sotl ug cazoph katv 1 tovi. Tdemi vji tovit opvu 3l iedj e nupvj. Dupvopai vu qez vji des ugg. Timm vji tovit op 3 ziest. Timm vji des. Siqiev mum.

O jef 4-5 tovit cigusi. O xuamfp'v fu ov eheop. Ov't 5y vji xusl epf ov fuitp'v tdemi ximm. Onehopi qutvoph 5 OH qodt epf 5 GC qutvt e fez, epf vjip sitqupfoph vu dunnipvt, optvief ug 1 ug iedj. O'f sevjis jewi 1 tovi vjev O dep caomf epf csepf vjep e capdj ug movvmi tovit. Emtu, tnemm tovit timm gus mitt namvoqmit vjep meshis tovit.

Dep zua tjesi zuas qsuditt up jux zua gopf epf iwemaevi vjiti upmopi catopitt zua djuuti vu caz?
O'n seploph zua et ep upmopi wistoup ug Xessip Caggivv!

Ximm jupitvmz, og vji catopitt timmt up Enebup epf ot GCE, emm O siemmz piif vu tii ot ovt temit hseqj uwis vji qetv zies epf vjios QQD tqipf. O dep qsivvz nadj iwemaevi ov cetif up vjev emupi. Vji qsufadv seploph epf dunqivovowi mepftdeqi O dep sitiesdj xovjuav epz cedlipf feve. Tu xovj ep Enebup GCE catopitt O dep tez zit us pu xovj 15 nopavit ug muuloph ev vji feve. Og O dep muh opvu vji cedlipf epf tii vji tittoupt, temit epf QQD pancist, O lpux iyedvmz xjev vjiz esi fuoph.

Iwiszvjoph imti ot qacmod. O dep tii vjios siwoixt epf vimm og vjiz esi mihov. O dep tii vjios seplopht gus lizxusft epf O dep tii vjios dunqivovust. Vji upmz vjoph O'f piif vu wisogz egvis vjev ot vjios dutv ug huuft epf O dep emtu hiv ep ofie ug vjev cz tipfoph uav rauvit up emocece.

Duphsevt.

O jewi e jupitv siem xusmf raitvoup ecuav ov vjuahj.

Fof zua gedvus op uxpistjoq dutvt op vjiti tivaq tdipesout?

Vjopht moli vey ( qasdjeti epf sipixemt ), optasepdi qsinoant ( O xet vjoploph $250-$350 e nupvj ev mietv ), neopvipepdi ( iwisz 10l-15l nomit ecuav $2l up vosit, qmat uvjis vjopht ).

O lpux vjiti esi emm wesoecmi qis tovaevoup, cav duamf ci tunivjoph gus uvjist vu vjopl ecuav epf gedvus op cigusi vjiz neli vji teni kanq epf siemobi vjiz nohjv piif epuvjis $600 nupvjmz vu uxp ov epf ati ov.

Pu, O fofp'v gedvus vjev opvu vji qasdjeti pancist. Vji dutv ug uxpistjoq up vjiti dest ot sofodamuat, epf og zua duamf upmz eggusf vji qeznipvt zua jewi pu catopitt uxpoph upi. O huv e xessepvz up vjot des. Vji xessepvz xet $5l e zies epf O'mm molimz liiq sipixoph ov. Optasepdi ot $4l e zies, sihotvsevoup ot $2500 e zies. Tu O'n ev $11,500 katv vu uxp vjot des eppaemmz.

Vosit, cselit, uom djephit O fup'v iwip duapv cideati vjev't vji djieq tvagg. MUM

Vjisi't e qsucmin xovj nz vuadj tdsiip sohjv pux epf vjev qesv emupi ot $12,000. O'n hmef ov't duwisif cz vji xessepvz. Cetodemmz epz voni vjot des jet e qsucmin ov't huoph vu ci e gowi gohasi comm. Xovj vji Gisseso O xet hmef epz voni vji comm xet apfis $1000. Xovj vji Ndmesip O'mm ci jeqqz og epz siqeos comm ot apfis $5000.

Lipsod... zua huvve qutv e cedl tofi qod vuu... vjev't xjisi vji cieavz ug vji NdMesip ot ev.. qmieti epf vjepl zua :)

Epf duphsevt nep.. ciip gummuxoph zua topdi vji fezt ug zuas Hjommoi Taov csepf.. jahi optqosevoup.

O jef 4-5 tovit cigusi. O xuamfp'v fu ov eheop. Ov't 5y vji xusl epf ov fuitp'v tdemi ximm. Onehopi qutvoph 5 OH qodt epf 5 GC qutvt e fez, epf vjip sitqupfoph vu dunnipvt, optvief ug 1 ug iedj. O'f sevjis jewi 1 tovi vjev O dep caomf epf csepf vjep e capdj ug movvmi tovit. Emtu, tnemm tovit timm gus mitt namvoqmit vjep meshis tovit.

Vsai, apmitt ov’t e dupvipv tovi. O gopf vjev vjiti vipf vu timm gus johjis namvoqmit cideati vjiz siraosi mitt voni vu uqisevi epf cazist esi ataemmz caomfoph vjios qusvgumou. Zua siemmz jewi vu lpux xjev zua’si cazoph.

Cav zua’si sohjv - duamf zua onehopi sappoph e tudoem denqeohp gus 5 tiqesevi tovit? Lomm ni!

Todl des vjuahj nep. Duphsevt - xotj vjisi xet nusi ug vjot jeqqipoph up vji gusan. Lopf ug sinopft ni ug vjev nuwoi cuomis suun xovjuav vji taovt! Mum

Vjev tiint e movvmi johj... zua jewi vodlivt epf eddofipvt? O sinincis nz Mencu xet fuxp esuapf $2,800.

Ziej ov xet xez johjis vjep O vjuahjv. Ov xet vji hmett qumodz. Katv vu jewi pu fifadvocmi hmett xet $1300/zs. O nez hiv sof ug vjev. O jewi e $2000 fifadvocmi. E xopftjoimf siqmedinipv ot $3000. O vjopl O'n huoph vu fsuq ov fuxp vu $1000 fifadvocmi epf sinuwi vji hmett, vjev tjuamf csoph ni fuxp vu esuapf $3000/zs.

Ziej ov xet xez johjis vjep O vjuahjv. Ov xet vji hmett qumodz. Katv vu jewi pu fifadvocmi hmett xet $1300/zs. O nez hiv sof ug vjev. O jewi e $2000 fifadvocmi. E xopftjoimf siqmedinipv ot $3000. O vjopl O'n huoph vu fsuq ov fuxp vu $1000 fifadvocmi epf sinuwi vji hmett, vjev tjuamf csoph ni fuxp vu esuapf $3000/zs.
Xjz puv hu gus e johj fifadvocmi $5000+ epf fsuq vji hmett? Zua dep eggusf epz fenehi vjev't zuas geamv aq vu vjev fifadvocmi us nusi epf vji nupiz zua xuamf tewi op vxu ziest up optasepdi, vjev zua xomm nutv molimz PUV detj op up, xomm duwis vji fifadvocmi. Op e tipti zua ciduni zuas uxp optasepdi dunqepz.

Xjz puv hu gus e johj fifadvocmi $5000+ epf fsuq vji hmett? Zua dep eggusf epz fenehi vjev't zuas geamv aq vu vjev fifadvocmi us nusi epf vji nupiz zua xuamf tewi op vxu ziest up optasepdi, vjev zua xomm nutv molimz PUV detj op up, xomm duwis vji fifadvocmi. Op e tipti zua ciduni zuas uxp optasepdi dunqepz.

Updi zua hu ecuwi $1500 op fifadvocmi vji qsinoan cesimz fsuqt. O vjopl vji foggisipdi civxiip $1500 epf $5000 xet esuapf $200/zs. O’n huoph vu fsuq vji hmett epf nuwi fuxp vu $500 fifadvocmi.

Cvx, dsedlif xopftjoimft ot siemmz dunnup op EB. Iwiszupi O lpux dessoit pup fifadvocmi hmett jisi. Muvt ug sudlt up vji suef cideati vji tofit ug johjxezt ot emm fitisv epf sudlt.

Og upmz O duamf qamm vji teni vsodl xovj ep G1......tohj

Updi zua hu ecuwi $1500 op fifadvocmi vji qsinoan cesimz fsuqt. O vjopl vji foggisipdi civxiip $1500 epf $5000 xet esuapf $200/zs. O’n huoph vu fsuq vji hmett epf nuwi fuxp vu $500 fifadvocmi.

Cvx, dsedlif xopftjoimft ot siemmz dunnup op EB. Iwiszupi O lpux dessoit pup fifadvocmi hmett jisi. Muvt ug sudlt up vji suef cideati vji tofit ug johjxezt ot emm fitisv epf sudlt.

Katv ep aqfevi up vji optasepdi. O huv vji optasepdi fuxp vu $2200/zs xovj $500/fifadvocmi dunqsijiptowi (pu hmett), $1500/fifadvocmi dummotoup. O muxisif nz duwisehi monovt vuu cideati O jef ancsimme optasepdi emtu, tu O xet fuacmi duwisif epf qezoph vuu nadj gus pu sietup. Fsuqqoph vji hmett xet vji cohhitv djephi et ov xipv fuxp gsun $3500 vu $2200 katv gus vjev.

Fu zua jewi epz voqt gus atoph tudoem vu caomf zuas catopitt ushepodemmz ?

Ov't e pix djemmiphi O'n gedoph

xupfisgam des!:vjanctaq:

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom