The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you know if you are doing the right things or just stubborn?

alicealice1211

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jul 19, 2019
Hello guys, my name is Alice, I am 26 years old:praise:. I have been working on and started my software company about a year ago. I am very much a beginner. I have this question hope someone can help me out:smile2:

I have been working really hard and things in the business are getting better very slowly. I have a degree in biomedical engineering and am pretty decent at software. I know I can be making quite a bit of money working a regular job( Also got a few offers every now and then). But, I really want to keep working on my own. It's been really tough at times, I generally work till I can't really work anymore. I do try to take breaks when possible which is not too often.

I mostly do automation and data related software for my clients. Most of the clients are the small or mid-size business.

My parents don't really understand what I am doing and want me to consider getting a job for a while now. They are scared that I am wasting time on something that will never work. I don't want to not consider their advice due to my respect for them. During the consideration, I am wondering, how do I know I am doing the right things... Am I walking down a dead-end road? Is the business growing fast enough? How fast should a small software consulting firm be growing to be considered reasonable?

To summarize, when and how can tell if this business just needs more time and effort OR the idea is completely wrong.
I understand these questions are different for every business and person. So, in doubt, how do you guys find the answers?

Thank you guys so much for reading. I really appreciate it!:thumbsup:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
There are times in your life when you're in the dark side, where you just execute and put in work.
Then there's the light side where you plan, look at things with a broader perspective and look how things can improve.

So I don't know much about your life, but as you're asking this question you probably need to step a bit more into the light side.
First off, it doesn't really matter what you're parents think of what you're doing, unless you live with them. They are probably unable to understand even if you make a lot more.

And it seems that you're already going in the right direction!
All you need to do is change your perspective a bit, can't really tell you how to do this other than meditating or reading a good book.

For the business side of things just have to look at the data it's giving you. It sounds like you're not really working on scalability a lot, so try to create a portal/platform web app that your clients can use. But as you're already automating their stuff, it will be a huge task to automate yourself.

I'm just guessing at this point, so all I'm telling you is to keep a good perspective and just trust the process; it's about your fulfillment, not about what other people think of it. You will only grow resentful to your parents if you do so.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Someone shared about a book called the Dip. I plan to buy and read it. It might answer your question.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Hello guys, my name is Alice, I am 26 years old:praise:. I have been working on and started my software company about a year ago. I am very much a beginner. I have this question hope someone can help me out:smile2:

I have been working really hard and things in the business are getting better very slowly. I have a degree in biomedical engineering and am pretty decent at software. I know I can be making quite a bit of money working a regular job( Also got a few offers every now and then). But, I really want to keep working on my own. It's been really tough at times, I generally work till I can't really work anymore. I do try to take breaks when possible which is not too often.

I mostly do automation and data related software for my clients. Most of the clients are the small or mid-size business.

My parents don't really understand what I am doing and want me to consider getting a job for a while now. They are scared that I am wasting time on something that will never work. I don't want to not consider their advice due to my respect for them. During the consideration, I am wondering, how do I know I am doing the right things... Am I walking down a dead-end road? Is the business growing fast enough? How fast should a small software consulting firm be growing to be considered reasonable?

To summarize, when and how can tell if this business just needs more time and effort OR the idea is completely wrong.
I understand these questions are different for every business and person. So, in doubt, how do you guys find the answers?

Thank you guys so much for reading. I really appreciate it!:thumbsup:

They key question you have to ask yourself is "Is the product/service I'm providing benefitting my clients and is it better than other solutions/competitors out there?".

If the answer to that question is yes, then you can rest assured that you're probably on the right path and it will all eventually work out for the best if you have the knowledge/skills to execute on the business.

If the answer is no, then you are probably wasting your time and maybe getting a job whilst you figure something else out would be a better option.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
First let me ask if you've read The Millionaire Fastlane or UNSCRIPTED . If you have please visit those threads and drop a comment. That way we know if using terms from the books will help.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Have you considered working a day job and then afterwards working on your business?

It tends to be better than going in 100% without already having some cash. A good rule of thumb is when your business pays more than your work does then that may be a good time to switch over being full time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.