The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hobbies & Passions - what are yours?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Hobbies and passions are why we want financial freedom (I reckon). Why become wealthy if you can't enjoy all the spare time you have? MJ talks about it all the time. Frank Kern gave a very interesting talk on it back in 2009 and focused on "the perfect every day". I call it "The Flop". It's when you (metaphorically) 'flop' down on the couch/sofa/lounge after doing all the work required to clear financial stress and say "Phew! Money worries are out of the way, I have the whole day/week/year/rest of my life to do whatever I want! Now, what do I want to do?"

I know a lot of us are very passionate about business and for good and obvious reasons, the world goes nowhere without Entrepreneurs, but for this exercise I want you to think about your non-business or money making activities or pursuits. Wanting money for money's sake isn't very healthy. Personally I want money only to eliminate my personal financial stress - forever preferably - so I can get on with what I really want to do with my life as soon as possible.

I describe the difference between hobbies and passions like this. Remember- just my opinion.

A Hobby
is something you generally do by yourself, for yourself (or as a couple) and it usually brings a smile to your face. Reading, gardening, cars, travel, swap meets, markets, flying planes, sailing...etc

A Passion is something you generally do with others, for others and doesn't necessarily bring a smile to your face (though of course it might). Working for your community, charity, town, church, helping people who need help, family time...etc

There's overlap of course, you can really really fascinated in your hobby and take it extremely seriously and get very passionate about it. But in fact the distinction isn't really all that relevant to this discussion. Just tell us about the non-business or money making things you like to do in this world. Given that that's why we want money I

Hobby:
Having the ability to hang out with all the people I consider as being cool. I just love talking and joking around with people who are on my level.

Hobby: CARS! Vroom, vroom! In particular hot rods, in particular old original, traditional American hot rods from before 1970. They are my "lambo" (to borrow a sentiment from that other thread) and besides my preference they're a lot cheaper than exotic supercars and in my view, a lot more fun to own, fiddle with and maintain. I could buy 10 super cool hot rods for the cost of 1 Lambo. Don't get me wrong, Love the Lambo too. I used to rent one as part of a house deal (long story). Fastest car I've ever been in but a sweet old school hot rod has always captured my attention from when I was still in primary school.

Hobby: Music. I play guitar and tinkered with the family piano when I was young. I used to play bass in a heavy metal band in the early to mid 80s for which I make no apologies and expect only good natured lols. Think...Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Dokken...etc

Passion: Speaking. I'd love to appear on stages all over the world speaking about my topic.

So, apart from the negatives such as "hate work, don't want to be a slave...etc" why do you want to become wealthy? What will you do with your free time? And remember, this is a business free zone. It's obvious that most of us will have an interest in some sort of business activity for the rest of our lives - that's a given. I'm fascinated in (as they say) "the why".

Don't forget there are many benefits to being crystal clear on your why. Clarity gives you vision, vision gives you direction and knowing why gives you the drive to get there. Just pretend you have arrived, you have more than enough money to not have any financial pressures or stress. It's a beautiful day, the weather's going to be awesome for the next week and probably the next month...what will you be doing with your free time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

kaelyrion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Apr 20, 2016
A hobby for me would be working out, and making motivational videos. A passion for me would probably be teaching/mentoring, or speaking to inspire people. Thanks for this mental exercise!

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I've been weightlifting since 14 with almost no breaks in between. That would classify as a hobby.
Eating healthy and be good to my body is my passion. Although most people don't really get inspired by my habits, some just find it weird lol.

I will never give my health up for anything, not money, not time, not for weekend being drunk, nothing.

Another passion of mine is creating, and being resourceful and creative at the same time.
I love building stuff where other people can benefit off.
I just don't like doing it for a company, I can't be creative, and I can't have direct contact with clients.

If I'd have all the money in the world, the only change I would do is building my own company, make apps what can make people happy and make their life easier. While traveling and meeting new people. And that's exactly what I focus on right now.

Why? Because I enjoy it. And when I can enjoy it, I can bring much more joy to other people too.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I brew beer.

Beer taps in kitchen:

upload_2016-4-26_9-19-18.png

Inside view:

upload_2016-4-26_9-19-49.png

Bulk grain storage in basement:

upload_2016-4-26_9-20-21.png

Fermenting right now, 10 gallons of something I'm calling a bastardized version of a Kentucky Common (pale malt, crystal 60, wheat, flaked barley, flaked corn, pale chocolate malt, Columbus and centennial hops):

upload_2016-4-26_9-20-55.png

Opening a brewery would be my dream retirement job.

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
I have too many hobbies and passions. Some actually made me a lot of money but have died down over the years.

But can't stress enough how everyone needs a hobby or two. Helps get your mind off of things and you need a break from being on the computer all the time.

I was stuck in that phase for 4 years. Takes a toll on you...

Gym
Sports (soccer, hockey, tennis, etc..)
Rollerblading
Video Games
Art
Politics
Pinball

Just so many lol. Here's my once-upon-a-time pinball collection. I have one left but they are too expensive to keep. Beautiful machines though:

pinballz.png

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have one left but they are too expensive to keep.

I was looking seriously into getting into pinball years ago but came to this conclusion before diving in thankfully. After reading about the upkeep and what people go through for these machines it's a wonder they were ever actually brought into the market at all.

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
I was looking seriously into getting into pinball years ago but came to this conclusion before diving in thankfully. After reading about the upkeep and what people go through for these machines it's a wonder they were ever actually brought into the market at all.

There's some good pinball guys in your area that can help you upkeep the pins for cheap. I was hella fortunate to have an older friend who is an engineer/able to fix pins.

I sold most of my machines for the sole reason of always being in panic mode. What happens if my house caught on fire? Or there was a flood? Or someone broke in my house to steal them? Insurance was so high to keep these machines and if they get damaged your out tens of thousands. Better sticking to your local arcade or even better, playing these titles on your iPad LOL.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
But can't stress enough how everyone needs a hobby or two.
Absolutely.
Here's my once-upon-a-time pinball collection.
That's so cool. I can remember 5c pinball and that free game 'knock' was awesome.

Great replies everyone. I don't know about you but I get a real kick out of seeing people's hobbies especially. It's just fascinated to see what we really get up to on weekends and time off.

Keep 'em coming. What else are you all into? If you think of another one, post again. Many of us have multiple hobbies. One of mine was collecting old hot rod magazines from the little pages (that fit into the back pocket of your jeans) to the all the crazy 60s custom and show rod days. I'd buy them off ebay and when they finally arrived I'd smell them. The inner pages smelled like 70s stereo equipment or a record player. Not sure what the connection is but that's what I get every time.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Absolutely.

That's so cool. I can remember 5c pinball and that free game 'knock' was awesome.

Great replies everyone. I don't know about you but I get a real kick out of seeing people's hobbies especially. It's just fascinated to see what we really get up to on weekends and time off.

Keep 'em coming. What else are you all into? If you think of another one, post again. Many of us have multiple hobbies. One of mine was collecting old hot rod magazines from the little pages (that fit into the back pocket of your jeans) to the all the crazy 60s custom and show rod days. I'd buy them off ebay and when they finally arrived I'd smell them. The inner pages smelled like 70s stereo equipment or a record player. Not sure what the connection is but that's what I get every time.
Another hobby of mine is being extremely resourceful and creative with computers.

I use the old tablet of my mom as an e-reader, it works perfect!

I use my old Galaxy S as my back-up phone, my S6 died.
I just put the newest android version on it, overclock it a little and I can use it for almost everything most people have to use it anyway for.

It's funny because even though I need a fast phone the most for gaming and developing apps, I can find one way or another to still use it fully without throwing it away. Most people buy a new phone every year, for no reason lol.

For overclocking my Raspberry Pi I used the fan of my old DVD recorder that I already grabbed out of it. Most people would've just bought a fan, but I saved some cash and recycled at the same time.

I now use my mouse from my other desktop on this laptop. This way I can watch videos on my desktop, and type on my less powerful laptop.

I can go on and on, I'll just stop right here :p

It's funny because most of the hobbies we have could be monetized, with the time and work!
Not much but if you buy and sell hot-rods or pinball machines by repairing them.
Or just sell beer, or repair computers!

Isn't that how most peoples career start?
Bill gates programming when he was young; just a hobby!

Some people even choose a certain type of work without even had some practical done with it!
I chose app-development because the first website I build was at 13, maybe it was not exactly what I have chosen, but I at least knew the direction.

I hear a lot of my friends choose by just "oh thought it would be cool".
And worst case scenario you don't drop out, and you have to work to pay the bills, you'll be stuck in that type of field.

My sister had chosen law, but she now realized she likes acting a lot!

Now should you choose the job that pays the pills every year, or makes you happy?

I'd say what makes you happy because in that way you will be able to create a leverage, it will be much harder in the beginning, but if you have a reason to push through, it's only a matter of time before you get success IMO.

Here is a video from Casey Neistat for further elaboration to end my rant lol

In short, obsession = success, in one way or another.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Hobby: Music. I play guitar and tinkered with the family piano when I was young. I used to play bass in a heavy metal band in the early to mid 80s for which I make no apologies and expect only good natured lols. Think...Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Dokken...etc

Horns up!

I had the same hobby once. I was the frontman (vocals/guitar) in a Black Metal band. We did quite well and played many international shows.

This is me on a show, six years ago :rockon:

1915806_389257532580_3777299_n.jpg

I kinda killed that hobby. Forced myself to play daily and got tired of it. Too bad.

Another hobby of mine is a collection of military memorabilia. It started when I was a kid and found all kinds of grenades, bajonet, helmets... of WWI when I was playing in the fields. War and history keep fascinating me. I still read every day and visit museums about history.

A passion of mine is public speaking as well. I'm an officer in Toastmasters and maybe president next year. I don't have the ambition yet to do this on a bigger scale. I just like to experiment like I'm doing right now. (on the photo: I gave a speech about all nowadays men are pussies and invited somebody in the audience to punch me in the face.)

1916676_10153425166216932_7705659864425918932_n.jpg

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hobbies and passions are why we want financial freedom (I reckon). Why become wealthy if you can't enjoy all the spare time you have? MJ talks about it all the time. Frank Kern gave a very interesting talk on it back in 2009 and focused on "the perfect every day". I call it "The Flop". It's when you (metaphorically) 'flop' down on the couch/sofa/lounge after doing all the work required to clear financial stress and say "Phew! Money worries are out of the way, I have the whole day/week/year/rest of my life to do whatever I want! Now, what do I want to do?"

I know a lot of us are very passionate about business and for good and obvious reasons, the world goes nowhere without Entrepreneurs, but for this exercise I want you to think about your non-business or money making activities or pursuits. Wanting money for money's sake isn't very healthy. Personally I want money only to eliminate my personal financial stress - forever preferably - so I can get on with what I really want to do with my life as soon as possible.

I describe the difference between hobbies and passions like this. Remember- just my opinion.

A Hobby
is something you generally do by yourself, for yourself (or as a couple) and it usually brings a smile to your face. Reading, gardening, cars, travel, swap meets, markets, flying planes, sailing...etc

A Passion is something you generally do with others, for others and doesn't necessarily bring a smile to your face (though of course it might). Working for your community, charity, town, church, helping people who need help, family time...etc

There's overlap of course, you can really really fascinated in your hobby and take it extremely seriously and get very passionate about it. But in fact the distinction isn't really all that relevant to this discussion. Just tell us about the non-business or money making things you like to do in this world. Given that that's why we want money I

Hobby:
Having the ability to hang out with all the people I consider as being cool. I just love talking and joking around with people who are on my level.

Hobby: CARS! Vroom, vroom! In particular hot rods, in particular old original, traditional American hot rods from before 1970. They are my "lambo" (to borrow a sentiment from that other thread) and besides my preference they're a lot cheaper than exotic supercars and in my view, a lot more fun to own, fiddle with and maintain. I could buy 10 super cool hot rods for the cost of 1 Lambo. Don't get me wrong, Love the Lambo too. I used to rent one as part of a house deal (long story). Fastest car I've ever been in but a sweet old school hot rod has always captured my attention from when I was still in primary school.

Passion: Speaking. I'd love to appear on stages all over the world speaking about my topic.

So, apart from the negatives such as "hate work, don't want to be a slave...etc" why do you want to become wealthy? What will you do with your free time? And remember, this is a business free zone. It's obvious that most of us will have an interest in some sort of business activity for the rest of our lives - that's a given. I'm fascinated in (as they say) "the why".

Don't forget there are many benefits to being crystal clear on your why. Clarity gives you vision, vision gives you direction and knowing why gives you the drive to get there. Just pretend you have arrived, you have more than enough money to not have any financial pressures or stress. It's a beautiful day, the weather's going to be awesome for the next week and probably the next month...what will you be doing with your free time?

Only skimmed this thread.

Definitely seems written like someone who has either not begun the process, or still has a long way to go until he/she "figures it out."

Personally, making money - and the journey to creating and delivering solutions to the marketplace - is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done.

When you're not living your dreams, and you're not having fun doing what you do everyday, you need "hobbies" to distract or "give you a break" from your otherwise boring, uneventful, and unfulfilling life.

If you're not living the dream, then the above words might strike you as unnecessarily harsh.

If you are living the dream, then you probably relate.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just @Ubermensch speaking the hustler's gospel truth.

Can I get an "amen"?

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
Another hobby of mine is a collection of military memorabilia. It started when I was a kid and found all kinds of grenades, bajonet, helmets... of WWI when I was playing in the fields. War and history keep fascinating me. I still read every day and visit museums about history.

Really REALLY interesting. I have a soft spot for anything WWII. My parents are from Poland and they told me many stories when I was young. Plus, watching almost every WWII movie and vietnam movie I've come to really appreciate military artifacts.

Just purchased an Air Raid Siren hand crank by Federal Electric Co. Chicago off kijiji. Don't know too much about this piece, but I am guessing it was used in close quarters to alert guys in a bunker, or an underground base, or even on the field while on foot of an air attack. Or could have just been used domestically LOL.

Found a video of the exact model:

I think it's important that we preserve these type of artifacts, even from axis powers (obviously don't condone or agree with any of their beliefs).

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia

Definitely seems written like someone who has either not begun the process, or still has a long way to go until he/she "figures it out."

Personally, making money - and the journey to creating and delivering solutions to the marketplace - is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done.

When you're not living your dreams, and you're not having fun doing what you do everyday, you need "hobbies" to distract or "give you a break" from your otherwise boring, uneventful, and unfulfilling life.

If you're not living the dream, then the above words might strike you as unnecessarily harsh.

Anyway, don't mind me. I'm just @Ubermensch speaking the hustler's gospel truth.

Can I get an "amen"?
How sad. Totally wrong of course.

Awesome replies guys. Hobbies are obviously extremely important and what make life worth living. Very few things could be sadder than spending one's entire life making more and more money as your only goal in life.

Keep sharing your hobbies and passions!

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia
I agree with @V8Bill that hobbies are important and I'd argue that they are even more important before we reach the stage @Ubermensch mentions where we've got it all figured out and get paid/make money by doing what we love.

Most of us are here to build a business that makes money and that might not be something we enjoy doing. Sure there are genuine entrepreneurs here who get a kick out of the process but I know that I personally don't. (Maybe that's why I haven't made a lot of progress yet?)

While we're busy at the process of making money through whatever means that might be we need hobbies and passions to keep ourselves sane. All work and no play makes people crazy! And also carries the risk that when you do achieve your dreams, make millions and 'flop' you will have a profound sense of lacking. I've not personally experienced this but I've read multiple posts from people who have.

If you strive for years towards a goal or a dollar figure without any thought to what you're really working towards, when you achieve your goal you will be disappointed and lost.

So given that hobbies are useful and important here is mine :)

Learning: I enjoy the process of learning new things. The excitement of finding something out or working through a problem, of knowing something you didn't know before and seeing how that can benefit your life or the lives of others. It's exciting!

I guess learning is really a passion and a hobby for me as I love to do it personally in my own time and I also strongly believe that knowledge is an empowering force in people's lives. The more people know the more they are able to do to improve their lives in whatever way they want.

When I achieve financial freedom I want to spend my days traveling around the world, learning new things and picking up new skills:
  • Learning to play the bagpipes in Scotland
  • Leaning to scuba dive in Thailand
  • Studying computer science in USA
  • All kinds of things!
That's my why!

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
How sad. Totally wrong of course.

Awesome replies guys. Hobbies are obviously extremely important and what make life worth living. Very few things could be sadder than spending one's entire life making more and more money as your only goal in life.

Keep sharing your hobbies and passions!

IMO the answer could be in the grey area, but I think you interpreted what Uber said wrong.

Let me give you an example: The athlete Kobe Bryant dedicated his entire life to basketball, sacrificing his free time, and considerable amounts of time from his family to perfect his craft of basketball. He approached it like a business. His teammates would throw parties, and they all admitted that he went to none of them, or hardly any, because he would spend the time practicing or studying the game, getting better day by day. Despite stepping into the shadows of a great athlete--Michael Jordan, Kobe gets a lot of credit from his peers though not always from the masses that watch the game from an entertainment point of view. However, other athletes, coaches, and execs say that "perfected" the game itself.

Now, giving the above situation, we see that the guy had considerable amounts of pain. In his documentary "Muse" he admits that often times he contemplated if he made the wrong decision (being 18 and watching college kids hanging out and partying, while he was alone and practiced hard).

But what we don't see or experience is the feeling he has of being part of the elite few that roam the earth. Being part of that extra-ordinary that went above and beyond. that very few that were able to master their craft, achieve immortality, etc.

the-noblest-search-is-the-search-for-excellence-quote-1.jpg

each to his own

a lot of people want to be known for making a significant impact in whatever they do, and that requires a lot of sacrifice.

gabeb1920

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 1, 2016
Wollongong, Australia
Another hobby/passion of mine would be technology!

I think technology is another empowering force in today's world and is capable of solving so many of life's problems. I love technology for what it makes possible, what it enables people to do. Some of the stuff Bill Gates writes about how technology is being used to improve the lives of the impoverished is truly amazing! Check out https://www.gatesnotes.com/ for some of his activities.

And the thing that amazes me is that people don't even realise it! All the time I see people doing tedious, repetitive tasks which could easily be automated with technology to save them hours or even days of work each and every month! But because they don't know such things are possible they continue to go about their business in the same old way. I guess that underscores my previous hobby/passion about learning.

If you don't know what the possibilities are how will you improve!

G

Guest34764

I've been completely interested in reptiles recently.For a long time, I had never really had a hobby besides weightlifting.However, I saw a couple videos on YouTube one day showing off a huge a$$ lizard and some geckos and I got really excited.I'm in the process of planning out a vivarium (a live tank-setup).

It's super neat building your own little ecosystem to house your reptiles.I'm planning on getting a Crested Gecko after I've finished building the vivarium.

I just about finished building the background (made of out foam,sealant,dirt,cork wood) and I have a few pieces on the way for the actual setup of the tank.

A vivarium is really cool because it utilizes things like sow bugs,spring tails, and worms to fertilize the soil.All the plants will be real and tropical.

It's just such a fun thing to get into and learn about,really.Once I'm done with the whole tank (about a month from now) I'll post pictures in this thread.

Also, I would like to get into breeding once I have enough experience.Some species are oversaturated in the breeding market and some aren't.Anywho, enough rambling.Definitely, look into reptiles if you're ever considering buying one.

EDIT:How can you say no to something like this?
tumblr_mzw3gdMUxy1rdag7yo7_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I've been completely interested in reptiles recently...

That's cool. Sounds like you're really into it. Getting out into and interacting with nature is a very popular response when I ask about people's hobbies. I bet time dissolves when you're immersing yourself into your lizard's welfare.

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA

Can I get an "amen"?

This isn't necessarily true. People have different reasons for doing things.

I actually somewhat enjoy my slowlane job (it has its good days and bad days) and I love my fastlane venture. Absolutely love it. But I still have a hobby that I'm also very much in love with.

It's something that I've done ever since I was young: collecting baseball cards.

It makes me think of my grandmother, who used to buy me baseball cards randomly. I remember opening up packs of baseball cards and looking for my favorite stars. To me, it represents the innocence of my childhood.

I actually forgot about them for some time until going through some of my grandfather's belongings maybe a year or so ago. He's been dead for 20 years, but he used to speak to me of his old baseball cards collection when he was young. In his old age, he misplaced them. Well, I found some of them. They were from the 1930s, mostly stars from the New York Yankees.

The cards are beat up and not worth much in this condition. But their artwork is truly amazing. For the past year, I've been developing a greater appreciation for these cards, not just the looks of them, but the entrepreneurial nature of how and why they were created, as well as the talent of the starts themselves. Even in their relatively poor state, they still look pretty sharp. I've been slowly putting together a collection and, quite frankly, it's becoming a bit of an obsession.

My fastlane goal is to have more time and resources to put into this. I'd like to have one of the biggest collections in the world. I don't care about fancy cars, women, tailor-made suits, respect, or admiration. Just baseball cards.

That's not to say that I don't love different aspects of business. I would say that I love my current business interests as much as I love my card collection.

Last edited:

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I work in IT as my day job, but my real passion (I know this sounds nerdy) is recycling. I find it absolutely incredible the extremely complex machinery and chemical processes that are used in order to salvage materials. I believe that one day, and hopefully within my lifetime, we will be able to recycle everything. There is just an incredibly massive amount of potential and so many resources are just going to waste. I would like to start a recycling company some day.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
Yes, I agree of course. It's preferred (and arguably essential) to love business for it's role in our lives - especially as entrepreneurs and I think it's safe to say that everyone in here does. But many people think there's always room for the enjoyment of a little personal hobby or to pursue something you're passionate about in your spare or "off" time that isn't coloured by the need to make money from it.

Loving business, making money, having hobbies and pursuing passions aren't mutually exclusive. I'd argue they're complimentary and we can enjoy them all. It's those hobbies that fascinate me though. I love hearing about them - the stranger the better.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Hobbies:
- Eating, unfortunately. which necessitates working out, but that just makes me hungry. It's a vicious hamster wheel.
- Trying to utilize the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition without being a jerk.

Passions:
- Search and Rescue - one of the reasons for being in charge of my own time is to be available for callouts.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@Thiago Machado
@axiom
@OVOvince
@Disruptor
@ChasingPaper
@Cyriex

LOL

Who the F*ck wants to look at reptiles all day when you can just be a real-life MON$TER like Indominous Rex?

If you're going to waste three minutes (or more!) of your currently broke life on looking at... ah, hell... I don't even need to finish this sentence.

It's just mind-boggling to me.

How many of you in this thread are broke, and have so much time to type paragraphs about your "hobbies"?

I just don't get it.

Hobbies are for rich people who've already made it.

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
@Thiago Machado
@axiom
@OVOvince
@Disruptor
@ChasingPaper
@Cyriex

LOL

Who the F*ck wants to look at reptiles all day when you can just be a real-life MON$TER like Indominous Rex?

If you're going to waste three minutes (or more!) of your currently broke life on looking at... ah, hell... I don't even need to finish this sentence.

It's just mind-boggling to me.

How many of you in this thread are broke, and have so much time to type paragraphs about your "hobbies"?

I just don't get it.

Hobbies are for rich people who've already made it.

and yet you wasted time posting a substantial duplicate of your post upthread. Time on your hands this afternoon?

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
and yet you wasted time posting a substantial duplicate of your post upthread. Time on your hands this afternoon?

I don't waste time, little boy. Everything I do is directed towards obtaining money.

For instance, I will show this particular quote to a couple of my salesmen. They will laugh, feel invigorated by your stupid assumption that
@Ubermensch wastes time, and make me extra money.

Please post more; @Ubermensch FEEDS off of insects that talk shit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.