The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from the Pacific Ocean

Sammyhav

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 4, 2013
San Diego, CA
The Pacific Ocean? Yes, the ocean. I am a Naval presently on deployment. My name is Sam and I am currently stationed out of San Diego, CA. I am hoping this location ends up being beneficial to my upcoming attempts to do more. I come from a long line of ball-busting, work-until-you-break, Navy, sailors but I am by no means a “lifer”.

After being denied the ROTC scholarship (due in NO PART to academics) I was left with the bitter decision to either attend college at the ROCT school I had wanted, Purdue (an acceptance which would cost 36k in loans for my out-of-stater a$$), attend the local, Akron university for 7k, OR say screw-it and run off and enlist in the service I was headed for regardless. Rather than accept a lifetime of school loan debt and much to my mother’s dismay, I ran off and joined the Navy.

The next two years showed me exactly what my decision cost me as I learned the crucial differences between the lives of enlisted sailors and officers. I did basic training and “A” school in Great Lakes, IL before transferring for 6 more months of school in San Diego, Ca. The ample sun and warm, dry, air of Cali finally freed me from my lingering disappointment and I-am-better-than-this attitude. I made my first big girl purchase of a truck and soon became MJ’s textbook definition of a SIDEWALKER. The Navy, as it turns out, is an enabler and breeder of SIDEWALKERS.

I was shipped off to Sasebo, Japan upon completion of “C” school and quickly put my work-your-a$$-off heritage to use. I climbed 3 ranks in 2 years, an impressive feat for many “ratings” (specific job fields in the Navy), and upgraded my finances to the SLOWLANE. I was the second youngest person in my division, of 32 people, and the youngest supervisor in the group, but what does that do for me on the outside? No degree? Not much then, right? I worked my a$$ off to be a higher-paid Naval and put my education on hold. Others in my division put the Navy to the side and used their time to get Bachelor’s degrees online instead.

I finished my 3 year tour and left Japan last year with 0 debt and 22k in various stocks, but like I said, no college yet. When I got back to the states, all the money I had built up in stocks seemed to slip through my fingers like sand :( . “Adjusting” to my new life back in San Diego cost me everything except the minimum investment on my one mutual fund, a mere 4k. I had a shiny nearly-new truck, and new apartment lease, but nothing else to show for the years I spent banking my extra pay in Japan. The depletion is 100% my fault, Yes, and a bitter pill to swallow.

What’s all that have to do with the Fastlane?

Well, it’s how I got to MJ’s book.

While on deployment, I have been trying to think of ways to rebuild my finances so I do not exit this institution with empty pockets and spiral into poverty like many young ex-sailors. I set a goal to never go backwards in my life, and although returning to the states took a serious bite out of my paycheck, I intend to keep my promise to myself.

I am nearly to my intended Navy finish line and I am worried about what lies beyond. My original plan was to start school in the Navy, get at least an Associate but hopefully a Bachelor’s before getting out, and then continue on to a Doctorate as a Veterinarian. That’s a lot of hard schooling, I know, so I was going to be a vet-technician to support myself while I continued working for the higher degrees. A

fter reading The Millionaire Fastlane , I feel like my goal keeps me in the SLOWLANE and is sadly mediocre. It would certainly not be a bad JOB :\ but 8 years of school is lot of my remaining youth, my TIME. While I intend to stick to the plan, for now, I think I can do something additional during that time, maybe something that could put me in the Fastlane so that I never have to cut open the animals I love…maybe I could own the practice instead…

I have a few ideas which I will be brining to light in these forums, but there you have it. I am a SLOWLANEr Naval on the verge of a mediocre life of toil and damn it, I know I can DO MORE! BE more!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Sammyhav

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 4, 2013
San Diego, CA
concepts

Thanks for the assistance MJ. I’m rusty at the whole forum thing, and I’m having difficulty using the provided text interface. I have to import from word documents every time I want to create or respond.

I’ve been reading around the progress, planning, and genre specific threads and realized I don’t quite have enough to start a true progress report. I do want to get my seedlings out there, though, so here’s what I’ve had in mind:

Financial freedom concept #1, the toy line:

Product: a highly specific line of stuffed animals

Need (/target audience):
children and adults who care about the aforementioned specific animals (don’t feel comfortable giving away my exact product)

Goals:
The most important goal to me is to promote awareness in young children and their parents about the animals, and then gain enough product popularity to ration off a portion of profit to respective rescues or support organizations. The secondary goal relies more on the product popularity. If I can sell enough units in small markets such as smaller websites and local toy stores, the next step would be to get the attention of someone BIG…like TOYS*R*US. At that point in the game, selling the brand would become an option as long as I could maintain some percentage to be able to keep giving back.

Problems so far:
I’ve already begun market research and the design phase, but the issue of PRODUCTION is a big road block. I’m an artist… I draw, paint, and write but I don’t sew. I can barely stitch the name-tapes on my uniforms well enough to pass inspection so I end up having to get them sewn professionally. I’ve found several companies online which take your design and fabricate it for you. One company I found even opens the door to choosing WHERE you want your product manufactured – USA or China.

The problem is cost. Many of these sites require a couple hundred dollars to create a prototype of 1 design alone. From there you work together to make changes and then you place an order for no fewer than 1000 units, just of that one design. While I understand production costs and the need to start somewhere, I don’t know that I can safely bank on this endeavor and ONE design.

So do I put this back on the shelf until my 20k in debt is gone? Or suck it up on behalf of a bigger dream and go forward in getting that first design out there? I have at least 4-5 years left of guaranteed employment, pay, housing, food, etc… does that make it worth it?

Sammyhav

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 4, 2013
San Diego, CA
Financial freedom concept #2, the books:

Product: e-book

Need (/target audience): Nonfiction readers, military families and people, historians. There is only 1 book out there which addresses my specific topic and the audience it was directed at were not pleased. I know I can do better, I know I can tell their story in a way that would honor them.

Goals: successful E-book… turned real, paper, BOOK-book… turned screenplay

Problems so far:
None, actually. I’m in the very beginning stages for this: collecting interviews, recording stories, developing a finite question list, developing the best presentation timeline/flow.

This is the much safer, much cheaper endeavor. The commandment of ENTRY is broken because the market is quickly flooding… but I think the genre and topic will save it from drowning.

To build interest I intend to create a facebook page primarily for my art, which already has fans, and use it to start featuring snippets from the developing book.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Welcome to the forum, seems like you have already done the hard thinking and you are now on the right path, I am walking beside you actually! I like you just recently got some fastlane ideas 1 of which is left now

I looked at importing soft toys too but not making an oem, the delivery and moq from china is expensive and you could be left holding a lot of stock, dont let me put you off as designing your own brand is defo a better way as you will be the only one selling it.

Your ebook sounds great and if it doesnt make any money then the time you spent on it will be valuable education for your next project.

Sammyhav

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 4, 2013
San Diego, CA
from china is expensive and you could be left holding a lot of stock, dont let me put you off as designing your own brand is defo a better way as you will be the only one selling it.

That is my biggest fear: what am I going to do with 1000 units just starting out? It's just so much... The smallest I found offered 500 units but it costs more because apparently it is not worth while for the manufacture. I've been advised to reverse engineer some other stuffed animals and try to do it myself but I can't even find a place to purchase the fabrics I would need let alone there's a big suck on my time. Plus if I learn how to sew them myself I can only do so many....1000 is too many but 4 is too few? Bah, I'm thinking I will go ahead and submit the first design to one of the companies (maybe the 500 units) one and see how much it would even cost to get them. If it's not too bad and I could sell a few paintings to earn the money than I may as well give it a shot...but more than that? Say a few thousand? Better shelf the idea until a greener day.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Have you looked on alibaba.com? There are amazing looking (hand made)stuffed toys there already designed, 1 seller had MOQ of 100 units so I asked for a price which was $7 each, then the delivery cost was $250.. Soo $950 dollars for 100 high quality soft toys. Oh yeah a sample was $100 I dont know why samples are so expensive??

Any ways I then looked at how much they should sell for.. $20 or it wouldnt be worth my while really, especially considering delivery and amazon or ebay taking their 10-15% commisions. Sounds horrible right? Then I looked for similar products already being sold on amazon and they were around $15. I just put it down as a bad idea and moved on to another train of thought.

Ok so yes I could have found another supplier, or ordered more units to get a better price or even designed my own (I cant as I have no skills) and imagine the toys you get arent the quality you expected and get some bad reviews on amazon? You will be left holding a lot of unsold stock....

If you read more in this forum and elsewhere they will talk a lot about testing your market before making the product, what you could do is source from aliexpress.com something similar to what you want to design and the same kinda quality (buy like 10) then sell them on amazon and ebay. Notice that you may lose a few $$ per sale but your paying for market testing. Oh and check carefully that nobody is selling that product already (important). Oh and price them at what you think you would price if you designed it even if you lose $5 per sale.

think about how many orders you need per day, atleast 3 would be a good start and see what happens.

Dont let me talk you out of it as you should think through all the points and make your own decision, maybe you could elaborate more on your idea so we can help you with it.

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego
Two things for you:

First, subscribe to this thread to join us for San Diego specific Fastlane Meetups and News.

Secondly, the author of One Simple Idea got his introduction to licensing by being approached by a distributor who licensed his plush animal designs when he was young. The book is about how to license your creations and inventions to large companies. It may be something you are interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...