The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello from Adam in Cleveland, OH

Adam VanBuskirk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Hello everyone,

My name is Adam VanBuskirk, I'm 38, happily married, no children, and an IT Manager for a manufacturer. I started out coding websites around 20 years ago as I worked full time and started college. I've always spent the majority of my free time working on various projects. I would say businesses, but I've never had the discipline to give them everything I've got, so they always end up as unfinished projects.

I had rental properties (6 properties / 11 units) in my early 20s (I sold the last one last May), many failed (in my eyes) website ventures (a website that charges landlords for posting off-campus housing ads to college students that makes 4K per year, a game with 500 users that had tons of potential, but I got bored with, a retail website doing 30K/year in revenue, but in a niche that couldn't go much higher, an Android game that had $100 in revenue, a food discovery iPhone app poorly marketed), on and on. I love to create (products and value) and I love business, but I've always lacked a key trait in terms of being a successful entrepreneur - will. I always get bored fast and quit.

Anyway, I'm in the beginning of year two of a new website / venture and haven't given up. After reading MJ's books and Good to Great, I realized lacking the will to not quit has always been my main shortcoming. I give up way to fast. I need to keep the flywheel spinning for years and turn the crank way more often to get the gold gumballs. I think I'm on my way now that I realize the flaw - when I get a good idea, don't give up! I'm only at 800 users per day and making $300/month, but I'm still going strong after 1 year (for me that's a start). Time and more importantly my will will tell if I make it.

Looking forward to great conversations and learning a lot from those that have and are taking their journeys. Sharing mine as well.

Take care,

Adam

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Welcome to the tribe!

Yes, switching horses in midstream--especially if you're on a good horse--can sabotage yourself.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Adam!

I had rental properties (6 properties / 11 units) in my early 20s (I sold the last one last May), many failed (in my eyes) website ventures (a website that charges landlords for posting off-campus housing ads to college students that makes 4K per year, a game with 500 users that had tons of potential, but I got bored with, a retail website doing 30K/year in revenue, but in a niche that couldn't go much higher, an Android game that had $100 in revenue, a food discovery iPhone app poorly marketed), on and on. I love to create (products and value) and I love business, but I've always lacked a key trait in terms of being a successful entrepreneur - will. I always get bored fast and quit.

Impressive body of work for someone, as you say, likes to quit.

Seems like focus is your problem.

As for the rental units, you must have made a killing there, no??

Why sell?

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
You have good insight and self-awareness, it's very refreshing.

Keep on pushing forward, and explore some of the GOLD and Notable threads!

-Andy

Adam VanBuskirk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Welcome Adam!

Impressive body of work for someone, as you say, likes to quit.

Seems like focus is your problem.

As for the rental units, you must have made a killing there, no??

Why sell?

Thanks for the welcome and amazing books! The properties were in a small town and weren’t high value, so I didn’t make much. I put 5% down when I bought before the Great Recession and after selling made maybe 50k total. I bought all the rentals and then decided to go to college and move from Lima OH area where the rentals we’re to Cleveland for a job. As you mention, focus is a big issue for me. It will be a challenge to stick with one thing, but I’m going to try hard and anytime I start to wonder, I’m hoping re-reading your book will keep me focused and committed to one business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...