The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has anyone really reached their goals?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
Hi folks,

I'm curious. Has anyone here in this forum really reached their initial goals?

By that, I mean starting with nothing, and deciding "I will do X and earn X in X days/weeks/months/years" and actually achieved it?

I don't know, it seems to me pursuing a goal is actually counter-productive.
There's just too many variables. Too many parameters. Too many things you don't know you don't know.

I'm really talking about starting from scratch.
When you have a profitable business, going from say $1000 to $2000 revenue per month is tangible.
It's merely a matter of increasing speed, efforts, adapting a strategy, to grow 10, 20, or 100%, whatever.

But setting a concrete, precise goal (especially a money one) when you don't have anything going on? Isn't it delusional?

There's this "Backward Law" I came across a few times the last years. Basically it says: the more you're fixated on pursuing something, the more it eludes you.
I heard many people here in this forum with valuable advice say something similar.

And then, there's this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXQPL9GooyI

It drives the point in a rather scientific way.

So I'm wondering, has anyone ever really achieved an arbitrary goal they set for themselves, starting from scratch?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I would imagine a lot of people here have.

Personally:
- move country
- support myself
- start online business
- make over 10k a month
- make over 6 figures a year
- travel a lot

Now I still got a bunch left but these were all goals I posted on this forum at some point and have since hit.

I am a firm believer in you get to a point faster when it is well defined and specific.
But once the goal is set it's your routine/process (NOT your goal) that gets you there.

Stam

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 3, 2012
Norway, Oslo
I can only speak for myself. I set out a goal 1,5 years ago. Which triggered one investor and my current team. The plan is progressive, hard, and have had its ups and downs the past 18 months.

150 recurring customers is created of a total of 1320(goal in 36 months), its a steep hill to climb the next 18 months.

But without a goal, a vision and a mission nothing can be planned and give a purpose to the business(with my great team backing it).

Learn as you go, and use a lot of time to reflect and see possibilities to be more effective with automation, people and vendors. :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
  • Work from home.
  • Do the school runs.
  • Switch from €10k/mth with 1-3 clients to €10/mth with 10-20 clients.
  • Make 100 sales of a course.
  • Create and sell a paid email newsletter.
  • Get over myself and create a YouTube channel.
  • Get a full time developer.
  • Get a graphic designer.
  • Get junior Google Ads help.
  • Get UK rental properties managed by a letting agent.
  • Pay developer and graphic designer €2k/mth so they’re both 100% full-time with me.
  • Make €20k/mth with 10-20 consulting clients.
  • Nail Youtube ads for selling courses and local services.
  • Offer Youtube Ads as a service.
  • Make €10k/mth with paid email newsletters.
  • Make €10k/mth with course sales.
  • Allow my wife to give up work.
  • Empty then get my mum’s house redecorated for rental.
  • Rent a place in Ireland for my mum to stay in.
  • Get an office or studio (possibly a room in an apartment I rent for my mum).
  • Rent my mum’s house out in the UK.
  • Help a friend reach 1x with his carpet cleaning business.
  • Help a friend reach 1x using his sales skills.
  • Help two friends reach 1x using their building skills.
  • Help my developer create some SaaS where he gets to €2k MRR.
  • Help my graphic designer create a productised service where he gets to €2k MRR.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I definitely have - there's been lots of twists and turns along the way, but as some examples...

- Invested in a farm property (have wanted this since about 17 years old - just turned 25 and finally got it)
- Got an audi (have wanted this for a few years, got it a couple years back)
- Bought a 4plex that cashflows and allows me to live for free (wanted to be in real estate for the last couple years, got it earlier this year)
- Wanted to move to a new city with my girlfriend (got a house that we're buying under contract here and we've already moved in)
- Did NOT want a job to get by (haven't had a real job for a long time, and don't see that changing)

----

I think setting and achieving these sorts of milestones is critical - maybe I've set my own bar too low, but I like the way checking off meaningful goals improves your self confidence and perception of what is possible. Besides good health and loving parents, I don't think I've had any more advantages than anyone else around.

That delusional mentality of knowing *what you want*, deciding to go for it no matter what, learning, stumbling, making mistakes, and continuing forward on the path.... until you get there? Love it. That's been the only way I've been able to get the meaningful things in life I want.

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
I have, as well.

Start a 3d design business
Find enough customers by cold calling them to make the design business sustainable
build website with hugo
have recurring customers
get new customers via referrals
get new customers from outside my direct target market
be profitable enough to support me

Develop a Fastlane idea and build on it while continue working design - in the middle of it

Now that I think about it, I have reached some things already I would have never thought possible a few years ago.
But I have to admit, some of those things came naturally, for others I needed lots and lots of talking about stuff with my peers and reflecting on what I want.
Most important for me so far:
  • Goals are flexible. This does not mean: do whatever comes to mind. But just: they are not set in stone. Once something you tried did not work, you should try something else.

• Once you set on a goal, either you work towards it, or you don't. If you work towards it, at some time you will reach what you want. If you tried and tried and nothing seems to work, adjust your expectations of what is realistic for you right now. Don't go over the top all at once. Go step by step.

• Focus on a few important things and follow through.
I used to see goals as something you have to have, like a chore, and I was never quite successful with this view. Now I see them as something that I have naturally once I set my mind to a specific, desirable outcome. (This sounds like one and the same, but it is not. Goals are abstract. But if you picture what you want as clearly as possible, it becomes a reality already in your mind - and then you will see the goals as a natural result and know what to do) As soon as you know what you want, you will have goals, and as long as these goals are SMART (google it), and you work towards it, you will reach them.

And for anyone who does not know what he/she wants:
I used to be like this. At least, I thought I was. Because, in reality, I knew what I wanted all along. And I am sure everyone else does, too. Here's why. Every time I thought to myself:

- I do not want this

what I really should have asked is:

- what would be the thing I want, then, right now?

Or:

- I don't know what I want

I should have just looked around, and for example see my wardrobe with the cheap clothing,
or the dirty laundry, or my shitty job. And all those things pointed towards what I wanted, they even screamed towards it:

- get a better paying job to buy nice thing sometimes
- get better at keeping your house clean and orderly
- get better at a valuable skill to achieve the independence you crave for

And it is really as simple as that.

Last edited:

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
@Fox

For a goal like
make over 10k a month

Did you really start from nothing? Like you had no business and told yourself: "my goal is to make over 10k a month" even though you had no business going on?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox

For a goal like

Did you really start from nothing? Like you had no business and told yourself: "my goal is to make over 10k a month" even though you had no business going on?

Ya I was a total noob when I joined these forums. I had never made a dollar online before and it took quite a while to get any traction.

You need goals.

A goal sets a challenge and a challenge gives you something to focus on. That means direction.

I got full income goals mapped out 2-3 year’s from now.

He doesn’t post as much anymore but go check out @G_Alexander threads. He would set massive yearly goals and then do even better.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.