The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing a YouTube Channel to 100,000 Subs

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Did a long overdue clean up on some channel things today:

Fixed titles to give a more clear value and be more searchable...Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 11.53.15.png

Cleaned up links within the description:

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 11.54.55.png

I had to get some new usernames on Fb and twitter but I think it reads a lot better now.

Also I cleaned up the tags on each video. Tried to link it much more to the the video content and remove any unrelated tags. Basically - one video > one keywork > one main tag focus.

I still got to switch out the thumbnails and also create a proper channel background.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 21.59.29.png

I was making quite a few mistakes with how I was using YouTube tags. I had a lot of general tags on videos thinking that would help. So in the video above I had tags like "travel" "vlog" "georgia". Totally pointless since it doesn't rank and its a waste of potential tags that can rank.

If you are uploading videos try have a super focused video idea with highly linked tags for it to rank well.

Cat Lady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 26, 2018
Portland, OR
This is really cool, thank you! I've been following this for a few months and I'm launching a youtube weekly series tomorrow, in my own niche, it's been great to see what you're doing.

Also my mom worked at that factory from your last video!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This is really cool, thank you! I've been following this for a few months and I'm launching a youtube weekly series tomorrow, in my own niche, it's been great to see what you're doing.

Also my mom worked at that factory from your last video!

wow thats cool! haha Did you show her?

Let me know if you need any input or help. The channel hasn't been too busy last few weeks but there is a lot going on behind the scenes.

Cat Lady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Apr 26, 2018
Portland, OR
wow thats cool! haha Did you show her?

Let me know if you need any input or help. The channel hasn't been too busy last few weeks but there is a lot going on behind the scenes.
I did! I don't know if it is the same company still there but she worked there before she joined the military.

I was going to PM you but it appears maybe I'm not cool enough to have access, so let me know if you want to discuss off-thread, but one thing I'm struggling with is personal brand vs professional brand. I believe you changed the name of your YT channel awhile back to your business, has that helped? My business niche is personal finance, particularly for millennials and usually featuring a lot of CATS! (I'm very google-able). I'll be doing a lot of personal finance instructional videos with cats.

But I also have a fair amount of folks that follow my personal brand due to personal data tracking/design work I do and I plan to do more videos showing that work off through vlog-styble videos, since quantified self is very light on youtube. I have a channel for myself and a channel for my business, and I'm struggling with how to structure video uploads between the two. Just run two channels and possibly split the subs? Do everything on my personal channel?

Any advice?

(Also I know some very big youtubers - like people with 3.1 million subs - through a nonprofit I'm on the board of - so I'm hoping once I get rolling to see if I can interview some of them to get the channel moving.)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
How to deal with the people who steal content or copy videos as it is?

In what way? If its for another YouTube channel that would be an easy copyright strike.

All my videos feature me so I don't really see the point or how that would even work.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I did! I don't know if it is the same company still there but she worked there before she joined the military.

I was going to PM you but it appears maybe I'm not cool enough to have access, so let me know if you want to discuss off-thread, but one thing I'm struggling with is personal brand vs professional brand. I believe you changed the name of your YT channel awhile back to your business, has that helped? My business niche is personal finance, particularly for millennials and usually featuring a lot of CATS! (I'm very google-able). I'll be doing a lot of personal finance instructional videos with cats.

But I also have a fair amount of folks that follow my personal brand due to personal data tracking/design work I do and I plan to do more videos showing that work off through vlog-styble videos, since quantified self is very light on youtube. I have a channel for myself and a channel for my business, and I'm struggling with how to structure video uploads between the two. Just run two channels and possibly split the subs? Do everything on my personal channel?

Any advice?

(Also I know some very big youtubers - like people with 3.1 million subs - through a nonprofit I'm on the board of - so I'm hoping once I get rolling to see if I can interview some of them to get the channel moving.)

I changed my Channel name cause my last name is a little hard to spell "O Rourke". I was tempted to go with a non brand name like "Grow with Code" but decided on Fox Web School. I am not sure if its 100% the best way but I think ultimately good content will win out. For the web design niche there seems to be a lot of channel names that are business related. For your own niche I would maybe have a look and see what is best.

So for yours personal finance (finance + cats!) you could come up with something really fun I think. Lots of cool branding opportunities there.

A guy to look into might be Sean Cannell. He has a personal brand and also his business - two different channels. They tie nicely together and he uses one to push the other a fair bit.

Let me know how your progress goes - sounds cool!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ha. To date I’ve never had anyone spell my name wrong.

JP Alvis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jun 10, 2018
Buenos Aires
What a great thread!

I thought the channel was created a long time ago, it has great videos compared to other web design channels and the sales part gives it a nice touch!

Thanks, @Fox for sharing all the steps and to all who have shared more tips and links, I'm going to apply as much as I can!

Keep the great work.

Regards,
JP.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I feel like most people's audio and video either:
  1. Stays consistent
  2. Gets better over time
Yours seems to fluctuate. Better some days, worse others, almost random.

Your travel stuff is shot beautifully, but there the audio is inconsistent. I found myself having to turn up and down my computer with each video.

I think you need to invest in a SYSTEM of doing things the same way every day to avoid the problem.
  • What audio processing are you doing?
  • What db level are you trying to shoot for with your audio?
  • Do you know how to use Adobe Audition? (If not I can show you some easy tricks)
It's a shame to have a mic cover your face, and for you to not even get the full benefit. Sometimes it sounds like you forgot to plug that mic in and are working off of camera audio.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I feel like most people's audio and video either:
  1. Stays consistent
  2. Gets better over time
Yours seems to fluctuate. Better some days, worse others, almost random.

Your travel stuff is shot beautifully, but there the audio is inconsistent. I found myself having to turn up and down my computer with each video.

I think you need to invest in a SYSTEM of doing things the same way every day to avoid the problem.
  • What audio processing are you doing?
  • What db level are you trying to shoot for with your audio?
  • Do you know how to use Adobe Audition? (If not I can show you some easy tricks)
It's a shame to have a mic cover your face, and for you to not even get the full benefit. Sometimes it sounds like you forgot to plug that mic in and are working off of camera audio.

Thanks for the feedback.

So I use three different audio sources - the mic, the iPhone inbuilt audio, and also the proper camera mic.

Next month I arrive to Kiev and will be renting for a year. I’ll be making a proper recording set up in the apartment with boom mic etc.

I’m completely new to all of this so ya there is definitely a lot I can be doing to clean up my videos. When I arrive I’ll post up the set up and ya please give any feedback / suggestions you got.

Thanks

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I don't want to get locked into a niche and would rather build a personal brand. Who knows what happens over the next ten years and I don't want to have "coding masterclass" and I move into property in 3 years.

"Fox's Design Den?"

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Great timely thread, Rob.

I go way back with video production, but haven't been involved with it in a while. I've long thought that it might be a good marketing channel for me.

I'm a bit worried about how much Control Youtube can have over video distribution. But, I don't plan to go into business as a video blogger. And I do plan to have other non-video marketing channels and to also use Vimeo. (How much bigger is Youtube than Vimeo? Am I right that Vimeo is the #2 video sharing site?)

Maybe I don't need to worry too much about Youtube's giant Control in this area. I do want to try to use videos to get subscribers onto a mailing list. This would mean I could still reach at least a percentage of viewers, even if Youtube shuts me down for some weird reason.

I'd like to be able to include videos, along with web sites, as part of a comprehensive marketing package for clients as well as for myself. I also see offering training programs on video, as part of my future career. All that would be using video skills I already have.

Oh I see you already mentioned this: "Hopefully in the future I can offer web, video, photos, branding, and also some copywriting." That's my goal too, a more comprehensive marketing agency.

I also put a drone camera on my long-term shopping list.

I decided to try out Youtube in a low-stress way, where it doesn't hurt me if I get it wrong.

This will be my first experience publishing videos onto Youtube. I want to learn how to get traffic and make friends, fans, and subscribers with a new channel for free.

My theme will be some silly, wacky stuff for entertainment only. This first batch of clips are parody edits of a popular TV show, which has hardly any parodies. (I've often enjoyed well done parody edits of other popular shows.) This way, there's no pressure on me. If other people like the parodies, I'll make some new friends and get to demonstrate a sense of humor with whimsical editing. If it seems that there's a lot of enthusiasm for my silly ideas, I guess adding a pass-the-hat Patreon link would be the way to monetize them.

If nobody likes the parodies, that's okay. They'll be up under a pen name anyway!

There's a chance my parodies could be tossed out with a copyright claim. But for this show, lots of people are putting up commentary/reaction videos that stay up for years. It seems the only thing that gets wiped out is if people have more than a few minutes of footage straight from the show. Individual scenes seem to be allowed. I think I'm on the safe side here.

Second theme or channel will be point of view driving around some pretty countryside and interesting cityscapes. Pretty much unedited dashcam footage, plus some royalty-free background music. Not sure if I should put those on the same channel or give them their own channel.

Last week I downloaded Davinci Resolve, and made some parody rough drafts I like. I want to tighten up the timing a bit. I also want to fix a few glitches where I forgot to carry over the audio of someone we only occasionally see speaking. I expect I'll be able to do that this week, create a Youtube account and channel, and upload my clips.

Once I see what works and what doesn't work, I'll create a new channel with my own name, and put up business related content.

Should I share my results here, or put them in a different thread?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Great timely thread, Rob.

I go way back with video production, but haven't been involved with it in a while. I've long thought that it might be a good marketing channel for me.

I'm a bit worried about how much Control Youtube can have over video distribution. But, I don't plan to go into business as a video blogger, and I do plan to have other non-video marketing channels and to also use Vimeo. (How much bigger is Youtube than Vimeo? Am I right that Vimeo is the #2 video sharing site?)

Maybe I don't need to worry too much about Youtube's giant Control in this area. I do want to try to use videos to get subscribers onto a mailing list. This would mean I could still reach at least a percentage of viewers, even if Youtube shuts me down for some weird reason.

I'd like to be able to include videos, along with web sites, as part of a comprehensive marketing package for clients as well as for myself. I also see offering training programs on video, as part of my future career. All that would be using video skills I already have.

Oh I see you already mentioned this: "Hopefully in the future I can offer web, video, photos, branding, and also some copywriting." That's my goal too, a more comprehensive marketing agency.

I also put a drone camera on my long-term shopping list.

I decided to try out Youtube in a low-stress way, where it doesn't hurt me if I get it wrong.

This will be my first experience publishing videos onto Youtube. I want to learn how to get traffic and make friends, fans, and subscribers with a new channel for free.

My theme will be some silly, wacky stuff for entertainment only. This first batch of clips are parody edits of a popular TV show, which has hardly any parodies. (I've often enjoyed well done parody edits of other popular shows.) This way, there's no pressure on me. If other people like the parodies, I'll make some new friends and get to demonstrate a sense of humor with whimsical editing. If it seems that there's a lot of enthusiasm for my silly ideas, I guess adding a pass-the-hat Patreon link would be the way to monetize them.

If nobody likes the parodies, that's okay. They'll be up under a pen name anyway!

There's a chance my parodies could be tossed out with a copyright claim. But for this show, lots of people are putting up commentary/reaction videos that stay up for years. It seems the only thing that gets wiped out is if people have more than a few minutes of footage straight from the show. Individual scenes seem to be allowed. I think I'm on the safe side here.

Second theme or channel will be point of view driving around some pretty countryside and interesting cityscapes. Pretty much unedited dashcam footage plus some royalty-free background music. Not sure if I should put those on the same channel or give them their own channel.

Last week I downloaded Davinci Resolve, and made some parody rough drafts I like. I want to tighten up the timing a bit. I also want to fix a few glitches where I forgot to carry over the audio of someone we only occasionally see speaking. I expect I'll be able to do that this week, create a Youtube account and channel, and upload my clips.

Once I see what works and what doesn't work, I'll create a new channel with my own name, and put up business related content.

Should I share my results here, or put them in a different thread?

Feel free to share wherever you want man - I don't mind.

Youtube is multiple times bigger than Vimeo. Vimeo have a really good product but the marketing isn't there. They aren't getting the search volume and its not that sort of platform. Its more for sharing artsy type content or professionals to network.

If you want your content to be searchable and shareable its got to be Youtube. Other options could be IGTV or FB but Vimeo would be way down the list.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Why can be that? I'll try to provide a theory in another post. Not to create a cliffhanger, but because I can't attach more images to this post :D

I thought you were demonstrating a Youtube technique. "But WHY is January so hot? Click here to see my answer is part 2 (points up), hit me up with a comment down below (points down)."

I had to get some new usernames on Fb and twitter but I think it reads a lot better now.

I thought Twitter allowed people to have as many accounts as they like, but FB is trying to enforce one account, one person, one real name policy?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
The plan for March is to run a 20 part mini series on a lot of beginner questions and concerns. Make it really simple for people to get their first sale and get going.

Did you see my suggested playlist for people new to what you teach? It was in my personal execution thread. I think this answers the most common questions for people new to selling web sites, in a step by step way.

1 no experience
2 work for free?
3 business results whiteboard
4 first sale with email templates
5 what to charge
6 sales questions
7 sales mistakes
8 $3,000 sale

Total: 2 hours

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
For anyone who reads this. If you don't know how to turn it on or want to write the subtitles, just send me a pm and I'll be more than happy to help you out!

Can you post that here please? Looks like useful information for everyone putting their content onto Youtube.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
View attachment 19977

I was making quite a few mistakes with how I was using YouTube tags. I had a lot of general tags on videos thinking that would help. So in the video above I had tags like "travel" "vlog" "georgia". Totally pointless since it doesn't rank and its a waste of potential tags that can rank.

If you are uploading videos try have a super focused video idea with highly linked tags for it to rank well.

What are you using to see ranks by tag?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What are you using to see ranks by tag?

Hey this is an attachment called vidIQ. They will need access to your account but it’s trustworthy.

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
I want to know who's going to CREATE the next Youtube? Isn't that the point of FastLane Millionaire - to be in total control and own the process?

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
I want to know who's going to CREATE the next Youtube? Isn't that the point of FastLane Millionaire - to be in total control and own the process?

Let me take out my crystal ball to see who the lucky winner will be and then invest my life savings with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
ome courses and free tutorials later

hey fox, can you recommend some of this courses/free tutorials you utilized in your process?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
hey fox, can you recommend some of this courses/free tutorials you utilized in your process?

Sean Cannell has tons of advice on ranking and recording

Peter McKinnon on recording and gear

Thomas Norman has some great videos on creating a story and getting travel montages

A great feature of YouTube is video people love to make videos on videos! So its really really easy to get amazing content on how to make... amazing content. Its probably the best type of content to find for free on YT.

So I just wait till I am stuck on a very specific point and then go searching.

Let me know what you need help with though and Ill see if I can recommend anything.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Finally got a new video up...

This one is more for my newsletter but I will be curious to see what the watch time is like. Its 32 minutes long so if its engaging Youtube will give that a massive boost.

Just after investing in quite a bit of lighting and camera gear. I won't be able to use it till I get to Kiev mid next month but it should pay off in production quality. When I get it all I will post up a video.

Kinda getting the hang of YouTube SEO now - this is the ranking on the video above which should go up more over the next few days:

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 13.28.59.png

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
lots of focus should be on IGTV, youtube will be on its way out within the next few years possibly

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
lots of focus should be on IGTV, youtube will be on its way out within the next few years possibly

Lol. You’re out of your mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
youtube will be on its way out within the next few years possibly

Sounds definitive. Possibly.

It is only the worlds second biggest website - owned and promoted by the worlds number one biggest website.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Finally got a new video up...

This one is more for my newsletter but I will be curious to see what the watch time is like. Its 32 minutes long so if its engaging Youtube will give that a massive boost.

Just after investing in quite a bit of lighting and camera gear. I won't be able to use it till I get to Kiev mid next month but it should pay off in production quality. When I get it all I will post up a video.

Kinda getting the hang of YouTube SEO now - this is the ranking on the video above which should go up more over the next few days:

View attachment 20171

quick fyi, Microsoft is sending your newsletter to spam

You're missing can spam regulation by not including unsub link.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.