The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goal setting.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Studies tell us that only 3% of people in the USA set goals, and they are among the wealthiest people in the nation! Worldwide the percentage is probably lower. Why so low? There are several reasons, but one of the main reasons is lack of know-how. When I ask people why they don't set goals they often say, "I don't know how."

Isn't that remarkable? We send children to school for 12 years in America before they graduate from high school. Many of them go on to trade schools, colleges and universities. We teach them many important disciplines including history, economics, literature, science, and so forth, but we miss one critically important skill: goal setting. We award them their degrees, pat them on their backs, and send them into the world full of wisdom, but ill-prepared, almost always, to design and pursue the lives they really want.

Whether you're already a goal setter, you used to set goals and quit, or you've never set goals, these lessons will help you build a better life.

Lesson 1. Dream! Let your imagination run wild while you fill up a blank sheet of paper with everything you want to be, do or have. Many adults have lost their ability to dream and that's unfortunate. By dreaming you instill hope for your future, and with hope there's possibility. So your assignment is to dream. During this week devote at least two sessions to dreaming. I want you to create a Dream List filled with ideas. Your list should include at least 25 dreams about what you want to be, do or have.

Lesson 2. After you complete your list, wait 24 to 48 hours and read each item on your list and answer the question: Why? If you can't verbalize in one sentence why you want to be, do or have this dream, then it's not a dream and it won't become a goal. Cross it off your list.

Lesson 3: Ask the following five questions of every dream on the Dream List you created.

1. Is it really MY goal?

2. Is it morally right and fair to everyone concerned?

3. Is it consistent with my other goals?

4. Can I emotionally commit myself to finish this goal?

5. Can I "see" myself reaching this goal?

You must answer "yes" to all five questions for each goal, or cross that goal off your list.

Here are some points to ponder: Is it really MY goal or is it a goal someone else wants me to pursue? Is it the right thing to do? Will achieving this goal distract from achieving other goals? Goals are often difficult to achieve. Are you sure you can make the commitment to pursue this goal and see it through? If you can't "see" yourself reaching this goal, you probably won't.

Take time during this week to think about the questions above and answer them. Once you're finished, your Dream List will probably be a bit shorter than when you started out. That's okay because you're now closer to identifying the goals that you really will pursue and can achieve.

Lesson 4:

Ask the following seven questions of every dream that remains on your Dream List (or goals list).

Will reaching this goal . . .

1. make me happier?

2. make me healthier?

3. make me more prosperous?

4. win me more friends?

5. give me peace of mind?

6. make me more secure?

7. improve my relationships with others?

If you can't answer Yes to at least one of these questions for each goal, eliminate that goal from your list. Be sure to consider your family when you answer these questions. And do not confuse pleasure with happiness!

Here we go with Lesson 5:

After asking the questions posted in Lesson 4 you will have eliminated some of your goals. Actually, they were not goals, just thoughts or desires at this point, so you're better off without them.

Separate your remaining list of goals into one of three categories: Short-range (one month or less to achieve this goal), Intermediate (one month to one year to achieve this goal), or Long-range (one year or more to achieve this goal).

This lesson will help you quickly determine whether or not you have a balanced perspective between what needs to be done now, versus your dreams for the future.

Remember: Some goals must be BIG to make you stretch and grow to your full potential. Some goals must be long-range to keep you on track and greatly reduce the possibility of short-range frustrations. Some goals must be small and daily to keep you disciplined. Some goals must be ongoing. Some goals (i.e., weight loss, business success, education, etc.) may require analysis and consultation to determine where you are before you can set the goals. Most goals should be specific. A "nice home" is not as good as a "3,000 square-foot, Tudor- style home with four bedrooms, three full baths, and two living spaces."

I hope this was helpful. Good luck with your goal setting. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Great post!!!
I mentioned something similar in the book review I am making right now. You can read about it here http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?p=2140#post2140

I think your post is excellent as it shows us how to make it happen. I'm sure there are many more ways to do it, but this one is a great starting point. Added rep++

dhuang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 16, 2007
Awesome post!

I've read about the importance of goal setting in The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness, and undoubtedly it is a required tool for anyone who wants to envision success and see it through.

Repped for a great reminder of the importance of goal setting. :hurray:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great post, missed it earlier. Speed++

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
I have attached a 2 page document, which poses a few questions to get the wheels turning and help get ideas/goals on paper. A friend/colleague passed this to me a few years ago and I have found it very useful. I beleive it is important to set goals for both the long and short term; however, this is more directed towards the long term (as opposed to daily or weekly goals).

I try to complete this task once every six months - at the very least, once annually (think new years resolution time).

In reading about goal setting, they say it is important to be specific. Numbers and dates - don't worry, it doesn't matter so much if you actually meet the goal but that you have made forward progress toward that goal. So it's the 'shoot for the moon and you might get the stars' theory.

Have also read (and agree) that it is very important to review your goals as often as possible. So once completed, print the document (or perhaps save on your desktop) and store somewhere, such that it is convenient for frequent review.

Note: This particular questionnaire does talk a lot about your 'business'. If you do not have a 'business', I would just suggest treating all non-job related activities in your life, as your business. Think of it as YOU, Inc. You don't need a legal entity, to treat your life like a business.

Hope this helps! :)

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome post Peter. I recently watched a movie called "the secret" its also out in book format as well for all you readers. You can find all the info on it at http://thesecret.tv/. You can order the book or watch the movie right from the site. There is also a small trialer that you can view for free. It hits on a lot of the "lessons" you put in your post and I highly recommend it to anyone here who wants insight on how powerful your thoughts are and what it takes to turn them in reality. A lot of what was in the movie I had and have been already doing but there was a wealth of info that I never thought about until after I watched it. It was a Life changing moment for me (can't remember what Mike called in another thread, but its one of those !!!) as my whole thought process and how I view things changed after watching it. I really like your example of "a nice house" vs " a 3000 sq. ft. home" etc etc. I did that last year, but I visualized a 5,000 sq. ft home on the the side of the mountain with a negative edge pool and water slide with views of the whole city from any room in the house that was facing south. We are months away from getting our permits to build that very house and we created from nothing. I did not use another floor plan or take an existing plan and tweak it to my liking. I told the acrhitech what I wanted and he came up with it out of thin air and we went from there. Rep for you !!!!

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
a few weeks back, I was intrigued by an article of which I posted here. It verified Peters post that very, very few people ever set goals... such a simple concept, yet so few people choose to do it. I personally believe that most people are simply too lazy and an entitlement attitude overwhelms the logic behind creating a strategic plan in achieving goals.

Since I posted that message, I have been putting my own goals into writing, which is something I had never done so clearly and with precision. I always wrote my goals bi-annually and in my mind, I always had goals and felt I was on my way to achieving them, but there were so many to achieve and so loosely based which meant they were not part of my day-to-day routine, which is an essential element to setting and achieving goals. Having them in writing reinforces the subconcious mind to always help fulfill goals...

I have spoken to a couple of people about their goal setting techniques (one of whom is highly profiled and highly successful) and they have given me some pretty good pointers. I was somewhat surprised at what one of my friends had to say... the one is rather ruthless and I would have never expected morals or ethical values to be a part of the long term strategy...

anyway, happy to share here a little synopsis with a lot of help from a consultant/coach to one of my businesses and many of these mirror Peters post... but here it is-

Goal Setting

1. Create a list of goals – up to 10 or 15 goals

2. Write down the most important 3 to 5 key goals on a daily basis (this is not a to-do list, but rather a synopsis of most relevant or highest priority goals)

3. Revisit the full 10 or 15 goals weekly

4. Promise yourself to take one key step each day to perform some action towards the goal

5. Statistics prove that goal setters are much more effective in achievements in life than those who do not set and follow goals

6. Be S.M.A.R.T.
a. Specific about the goal – dollars or actual achievement
b. Measurable – make the goal easy to incrementally measure to determine progress
c. Align with values – avoid any potential self conflict with attempting to achieve the goals (for example, making money in tobacco industry while family members are suffering from lung cancer)
d. Realistic goals should have a 50/50 chance of achieving them. Anything too easy is not really a goal and anything too hard is setting up for failure
e. Time – realistic goals should have time values to measure progress against

7. The Three P’s – create a statement as if you have already achieved the goal to make it easier to envision the rewards of attaining those goals.
a. Present Tense
b. Positive reinforcement
c. Personal
d. IN other words, imagine yourself a few days/months/yrs/decades down the road and make it easy to state as if the goal has been accomplished . Example: I am proud owner and operator of a xyz business generating xyz dollars of profit and it took me 2 years to achieve this goal and I am enjoying this because it provides me more time and money to pursue other interests such as traveling. OR - another goal perhaps regarding weight loss, or tobacco use... Example- I made a plan to lose x lbs within 6 months and have achieved my goal using simple tactics and strategies such as ... ... ...

note that specific dates and numbers are all real and tangible so that they may be measured.

Another element in goal setting is the importance of achieving the goal. Recognize what it will provide once it is achieved. If it is weight loss, then you will feel better and live longer... if it is to own 100 homes to provide 1mil in cash per year, then list in painful detail what will that 1mil in cash provide... more security? charity?... etc. Again, details are crucial.

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
Great Post.

I sit here finding myself going over my goals once again but with new eyes. I am going to rework this list and see what comes of it. I work my goals every few months. I know I need to do it more often and I think that one of my goals will be to do that. Thanks for taking the time and posting this.

Talmadge

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
This year had been the first year when I actually wrote goals down and most importantly LOOKED AT THEM AGAIN.

It took me 9 months to open up that file and I was scared - honestly I think subconsciously I thought I was not going to go through with them. It is this defeatist attitude of "Make $20k in a summer, YEAH RIGHT?!" that makes the goals unattainable IMHO.

Surprisingly, I accomplished a few goals and now know what else I have left.

edit.

KyJoe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 28, 2007
Great post. I have been writing down goals for years. I save them, and look at them from time to time. It's really neat to see the direction, and accomplishment.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Bump for great post! Where the f is Peter? I like a lot of your old threads Peter; we need some more! :)

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Bump for great post! Where the f is Peter? I like a lot of your old threads Peter; we need some more! :)

I'm back. I guess it's been a while since I was here.
I will start to contribute again, since you missed me. :)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

goocy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 29, 2008
Great explanation of the goal setting process! Speed ++

I always ran into problems with the first point when explaining the need for setting goals to other people. They say they don't have realistic dreams about becoming something great or wouldn't be able to achieve these high-staked goals.

But the more friends I get to know, the more I see there are basically two categories - the ones who want to change something, and the others who don't.
And the point to changing something in the world is first to change yourself. As you aren't willing to look in a new direction, you won't achieve anything that resembles your dreams.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Nice job, Peter.

I developed a very detailed goal-setting program, and I had achieved 14 of 27 major goals for the year in about 2 weeks. Powerful stuff.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, is there any chance you could share with us (me :p) the steps you took? If you made it in another thread could you point me there?

Thanks!

And Welcome back P!

marknels

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 12, 2008
It is really amazing that only 3% of the people in the US set goals. I don't know where I would be without goals.

Studies tell us that only 3% of people in the USA set goals, and they are among the wealthiest people in the nation! Worldwide the percentage is probably lower. Why so low? There are several reasons, but one of the main reasons is lack of know-how. When I ask people why they don't set goals they often say, "I don't know how."

Isn't that remarkable? We send children to school for 12 years in America before they graduate from high school. Many of them go on to trade schools, colleges and universities. We teach them many important disciplines including history, economics, literature, science, and so forth, but we miss one critically important skill: goal setting. We award them their degrees, pat them on their backs, and send them into the world full of wisdom, but ill-prepared, almost always, to design and pursue the lives they really want.

Whether you're already a goal setter, you used to set goals and quit, or you've never set goals, these lessons will help you build a better life.

Lesson 1. Dream! Let your imagination run wild while you fill up a blank sheet of paper with everything you want to be, do or have. Many adults have lost their ability to dream and that's unfortunate. By dreaming you instill hope for your future, and with hope there's possibility. So your assignment is to dream. During this week devote at least two sessions to dreaming. I want you to create a Dream List filled with ideas. Your list should include at least 25 dreams about what you want to be, do or have.

Lesson 2. After you complete your list, wait 24 to 48 hours and read each item on your list and answer the question: Why? If you can't verbalize in one sentence why you want to be, do or have this dream, then it's not a dream and it won't become a goal. Cross it off your list.

Lesson 3: Ask the following five questions of every dream on the Dream List you created.

1. Is it really MY goal?

2. Is it morally right and fair to everyone concerned?

3. Is it consistent with my other goals?

4. Can I emotionally commit myself to finish this goal?

5. Can I "see" myself reaching this goal?

You must answer "yes" to all five questions for each goal, or cross that goal off your list.

Here are some points to ponder: Is it really MY goal or is it a goal someone else wants me to pursue? Is it the right thing to do? Will achieving this goal distract from achieving other goals? Goals are often difficult to achieve. Are you sure you can make the commitment to pursue this goal and see it through? If you can't "see" yourself reaching this goal, you probably won't.

Take time during this week to think about the questions above and answer them. Once you're finished, your Dream List will probably be a bit shorter than when you started out. That's okay because you're now closer to identifying the goals that you really will pursue and can achieve.

Lesson 4:

Ask the following seven questions of every dream that remains on your Dream List (or goals list).

Will reaching this goal . . .

1. make me happier?

2. make me healthier?

3. make me more prosperous?

4. win me more friends?

5. give me peace of mind?

6. make me more secure?

7. improve my relationships with others?

If you can't answer Yes to at least one of these questions for each goal, eliminate that goal from your list. Be sure to consider your family when you answer these questions. And do not confuse pleasure with happiness!

Here we go with Lesson 5:

After asking the questions posted in Lesson 4 you will have eliminated some of your goals. Actually, they were not goals, just thoughts or desires at this point, so you're better off without them.

Separate your remaining list of goals into one of three categories: Short-range (one month or less to achieve this goal), Intermediate (one month to one year to achieve this goal), or Long-range (one year or more to achieve this goal).

This lesson will help you quickly determine whether or not you have a balanced perspective between what needs to be done now, versus your dreams for the future.

Remember: Some goals must be BIG to make you stretch and grow to your full potential. Some goals must be long-range to keep you on track and greatly reduce the possibility of short-range frustrations. Some goals must be small and daily to keep you disciplined. Some goals must be ongoing. Some goals (i.e., weight loss, business success, education, etc.) may require analysis and consultation to determine where you are before you can set the goals. Most goals should be specific. A "nice home" is not as good as a "3,000 square-foot, Tudor- style home with four bedrooms, three full baths, and two living spaces."

I hope this was helpful. Good luck with your goal setting. :)

types

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 2, 2008
I think it's because, day to day, you get so wrapped up in life, especially if you're really busy.

AskFrasco

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 8, 2008
I try to write down my goals everyday! Action Steps are often times my biggest distractions. Any advice?

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
The absolute #1 step in writing goals that I've found is to WRITE down the goals. Don't use a word processor; don't use a typewriter - WRITE them down with a pen/pencil on a sheet of paper with YOUR own hands. There is a psychological connection that occurs that is missing doing it any other way.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
In short:

-Define the goal.
-Define the action to the goal (step by step plan)
-Define the specific deadline for having the goal accomplished (specific date and year).
-Spiritual "why". Why do it?

Be specific about your goals and they will be easier to solve. People fail to accomplish goals they have put down on paper because they have no step by step plan for accomplishing them. It becomes a dream only.

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
The absolute #1 step in writing goals that I've found is to WRITE down the goals. Don't use a word processor; don't use a typewriter - WRITE them down with a pen/pencil on a sheet of paper with YOUR own hands. There is a psychological connection that occurs that is missing doing it any other way.

Thanks for saying that, NMD! I rarely write my goals down....hmmm...maybe there's a connection...anyways, I'm going to do so tonight and do what was instructed originally to give it 24-48 hours and look at it again...

I do have a wall in my homeoffice that I see everyday with pictures and words of what I want. Does that count in anyway? Anybody know? or should I still actually write goals down? Just curious!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I've heard that writing (pencil and paper) vs typing use different parts of your brain. I totally agree with this and find myself thinking clearer with pen/paper vs computer/word processor.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I've heard that writing (pencil and paper) vs typing use different parts of your brain. I totally agree with this and find myself thinking clearer with pen/paper vs computer/word processor.

Yes, and when you go to review your goals (that is, look at the handwritten words you wrote), it also sparks a psychological connection with your subconscious that typed/printed words cannot do. That is IF you can make out your handwriting. :smx4:

Banthaman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 15, 2008
Earth... yes that is specific

I'd have to agree with that. I did poetry competitions for years and every time I tried at the computer it was like getting writers block. you should have seen all the sheets!. I ran into a friend a few years back after he cleaned out his old room and there were dozens of drafts. Funny thing is I don't even remember writing there. On the paper it just flowed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.