• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

WEB SCHOOL Fox's 2019 Make $100k Starting Web Design from Scratch Challenge

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by Fox, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    I think you are over thinking it a little.

It is work in exchange for free advertising/testimonials. That is probably as old as business itself.

Tell the businesses why you are doing it and that you need them to succeed so you can succeed (position yourself on their side of the table).

Meet in their office. Or have a phone call. Or meet anywhere.

Lots of freelancers don't have offices. I have never met a single client in my office (cause I don't have one) or my house. If it is someone local then their business is the best place to meet.

Get back out there and make it work!

2. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,110
    Edit: I misunderstood the question somewhat, but I’ll leave the answer anyway because I think it’s useful. I thought he was responding about our template conversation.

Original message:

Every designer buys resources. Whether it be fonts, or stock photos, or layouts. Even major TV show producers use stock footage and buy templates for Adobe InDesign. No one can do 100% of Graphic Design by themselves.

But the important thing is... I’d think of it terms of value. You go to the store and buy a $4 cheeseburger. It’s really good. You’re happy with your purchase. That cheeseburger has added at least $4 worth the value to your life. Do you care if robots made it, or if someone had to slave over a hot stove making it from scratch.

If you charge $1,500 for a site (which is a good price when you’re starting out) if your customer feels like they got even $1,501 worth the value from it, they’re going to be happy.

So let me ask you this question. If you were a customer... would you rather someone made you an amazing, awesome website for $1,500... or would you rather they gave you a ‘meh’ one that they worked really really hard on.

At the end of the day they’re paying for the results.

And trust me... even using templates, you’re going to be putting in work. They’re going to be messaging you asking you to make tweaks, change fonts, move pictures. And if anyone asks just say ‘I buy like 30 different templates, choose one that fit’s my client’s needs, and use them as starting points'

Again, it’s the results that matter more than how you got the results. If you needed your lawn mowed would you be mad if the landscaper had big, awesome equipment that made it really easy for them, or if they used a n on-electrical push mower. In reality, you’d probably prefer someone with the fancy equipment because it provides better/faster results.

As for the second question, I just talk to my clients over the phone and email. But sure, meet them in a coffee shop. Freelance graphic designers a lot of times don’t have offices.

3. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,511
    That was quite a run down of what you're going to be doing for the gym. Their lucky day, for sure.

The idiot that couldn't see what he was missing will hopefully be chewed up by his competition. Sounds like a burnt out bulb to me. You wouldn't want a reference like that. He can't even understand what it is that you'd be doing for him. Amazing.

Fox likes this.
  4. Dawid Paszko

Dawid Paszko New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $50
    Just wondering, should i have my own brand with a custom name or should i just use my real name?

I am asking because i have already 2 projects in my portfolio, but i guess i need to have an online portfolio website where i present it for further clients, right?

5. Georgios K.

Georgios K. New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $27
    How absurd that the other guy declined free services to upgrade his business. Totally unexpected and on this regard, I wouldn't label this as a failure on your side too much.

Really looking forward to what you'll do with that gym!

Fox and Real Deal Denver like this.
  6. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    I would keep it a brand name even if it is just you.

You don't need a portfolio until you have quite a few sites done unless you really feel like having one. It is not a big a factor in landing sales as people think. It is just as easy (and maybe better) to just send direct links in emails (or whatever you are using) with some details to explain to the client the project and the results you got/problems you fixed.

I have never had a decent personal website and it hasn't held me back at all.

The only exception would be if you are looking to run ads / do SEO work to promote your business. Then, of course, it makes sense to invest the time and effort.

Personally, I have never done that as I end of selling a lot verbally and also directly to people.

7. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    The newest video is up.

Was hard to keep going on Christmas eve but got it done!

I also just moved to Oaxaca so ready to go for 2019.
    Hoping to really push myself to make some great content in 2019.

Ill make a big update post end of year.

GPM, Bora.s, Legend and 4 others like this.
  8. banjoa

banjoa Present

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Rep transferred.

This was helpful, Fox.

Merry Christmas.

Fox likes this.
  9. Rardburgundy

Rardburgundy PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $5
    Longtime lurker here. Great posting fox. I am seeing 2019 as the launch year of a new business for me. For web design, SEO, and social media management, is there a way to legally avoid paying taxes? Would that mean setting the business up overseas (Cayman, etc.)? Would that also mean that the actual work be done there too? Or would it be sufficient to have it set up there and since everything is done online, that would be above board? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    Hey, welcome to the forum.

Taxes are a pretty niche subject and what is best for you will be based on your own unique set up. I would hire a proper accountant - they will be able to save you a lot of money each year. It is not something I can answer for you.

Rodrickee and rpeck90 like this.
  11. AdamUK

AdamUK New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Love the content so far fox and following with interest.
    You clearly have video production skills shown on your getting the gym client videos. I would imagine that's a huge selling point for you.

My question is are you going to post more content about how you create such awesome videos?

About me, I went down the local web design route last year but never put enough effort into getting clients to make it work.

Fox likes this.
  12. Thomas Baptiste

Thomas Baptiste Third of His Name Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,153
    In my experience people believe what has value is worth paying for. You could have the same exact website one priced $100, the other $500. You better believe the $500 is gonna be more appealing. Better yet letting them know that you're selling the $500 at $100 is going to tip the value scale.

13. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,408
    Anybody know what software he's using to put his face down there in the corner?

14. Daniel Tidwell

Daniel Tidwell New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    I would assume OBS, that's what I use and it's free plus the best i've tried. Here: Open Broadcaster Software | Home

DustinH likes this.
  15. AdrianB

AdrianB New Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $70
    @Fox would you create my online marketing agency website for your portfolio?
    btw, I've tried :D

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  16. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    Hey Adam - thanks for the feedback. Definetely don't feel too pro on the video stuff yet but great to hear that.

I learned watching tutorials off guys like Peter McKinnon, Parker Walbeck, and many more. Youtube is full of great free content to learn video production.

Are you think about getting back into it?

FastNAwesome and rpeck90 like this.
  17. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    Green screen and some editing software. Check out YouTube for a lot of tutorials on this.

18. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    Hey thanks but I don't want to use personal favours for the challenge. I am sure someone on here could PM you though and see if they could help you.

AdrianB likes this.
  19. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    I never posted the last video so here it is:

Mixed feelings on this one.
    - I launched on New Year's Eve so the view count was terrible.
    - I don't really like making code videos even though it is a big part of making a web design. It is boring to make and also everyone has different software/methods so its hard to appeal to your whole audience. I think it is the last step-by-step coding video I will make. I much prefer to focus on sales.

New Years and Christmas really messed up my schedule. Everything was closed and I also stayed at my gf's place (good for eating, bad for work).

I think I will only be able to get started again on the gym website next week which means I will have to cover another topic this week.

For 2019 I am going to be learning a lot about filmmaking and trying to keep improving the production of the videos. At the same time, I just need to focus on getting content out there and sticking to my plan. The challenge is definitely attracting new people to the channel but each episode should be able to stand on it's own legs too.

theDude, AdrianB and rpeck90 like this.
  20. rpeck90

rpeck90 Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $223
    Amazing thread!

The big takeaway I found so far (and this is something I definitely need to work on) is how you went to meet these people in person. I've done a lot of stuff online, but have never really taken the local approach to that level (apart from several occasions).

The process you've shown highlights the most important thing, which is that the 20% that delivers 80% of your results is actually getting yourself out there and meeting people who're in need of a site........ in a country in-which English is not the native tongue. Keep going - I already subbed on YT and looking forward to seeing progress :)

Real Deal Denver and Fox like this.
  21. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,732
    Okay so my business partner Alex worked on the thumbnails this weekend and I think it looks a lot better...

I remember someone suggesting to fix that ha!

So this video is good but a little off track for my challenge. With the holidays and moving to Oaxaca it has been hard to get time (and when it was actually open) to move ahead with the gym project. This week though I am good to go so hoping to catch up big time with actual web work.

Hopefully, very soon I got some good content about actual sites (that are finished) and am making more progress.

jpanarra, StompingAcorns and Mr.C like this.
  22. srodrigo

srodrigo Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $453
    This was interesting. I really enjoyed watching the video.

As a software developer with backend skills, I'd say the second type of projects you mention are VERY risky. The reason is that so many things can go wrong with programming, many more than making static web sites. When you combine that with custom projects, specially when the budget is tight, you can get into trouble and end up losing money. I've seen this constantly. But for static websites, this kind of business sounds great, specially if you are able to sell big prices because you provide a lot of value in that deal. I'll be watching closely (and finish reading the thread), I'm interested in the "adding value" part that you mention.

EDIT: I finished reading the thread, and have now an idea about what you mean, mainly making them get more customers/sales/profit, which makes sense :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Andy Black and Fox like this.
  23. AdamUK

AdamUK New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Yes especially after following your journey. Makes me feel it's possible to get going and be successful.

Fox likes this.
  24. StompingAcorns

StompingAcorns Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,980
    Great thread! Thanks!

1. Are all of your future $5-20k clients going to be 1-page sites like the gym client? Or are you only doing 1-page sites for the free clients?
    2. On average, and I know it varies, but how much time do you average to build each site, all inclusive of everything you do?
    3. Does this end with filling your plate with projects, or do you plan to talk about leverage/outsourcing any parts of this?

25. jakeG

jakeG New Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Just subscribed! Crazy that you're doing this because it is exactly what I am doing this year! Super pumped to watch your progress. Thanks Fox!

Fox likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.