• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

WEB SCHOOL Fox's 2019 Make $100k Starting Web Design from Scratch Challenge

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by Fox, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    Ill show my process when I get the first job but its pretty simple.

Get a good theme > make some simple but smart edits > punch in my content > good to go.

My thoughts are a site is for selling, I am not about pure coding. If the site gets results and performs well I am happy.

I got clients who have made multiple 100ks from sites built on $19 themes.

I'll take heat from the code guys for this but I see websites as just a way to get a sales message across.

Edit* my websites don't sell on the actual site / don't have to do complex tasks - so it's all good for me to go with static themes. When I get a project video up it will become pretty clear.

2. Chris Franklin

Chris Franklin Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $217
    I am actually surprised by the number of web designers that don't follow this practice! Why in the world would you use anything other than a static template for a simple sales page? It should be about using the right tool for the job, not the one that you like most.

This is why it frustrates me when I go to a simple site with a home page, about, services and maybe 1 other page and I see "Powered by Wordpress" after a 5-second page load. Use static templates for static sites, Wordpress for blogs, and Javascript frameworks for web apps. Period.

I know my validation isn't worth more than the pixels on your screen, but you are doing the right thing @Fox.

3. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,043
    You sir are a genius!

Lex DeVille likes this.
  4. GregDott

GregDott Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $489
    I'm from a coding background myself and I personally opt to use themes whenever possible. Saves on time spent working and increases revenue. There are so many greatly designed themes out there as well. Far better than anything I am capable of creating myself.

I think there is a slightly mad elitism floating about. Mad as in it causes people to do more work than they need to.

5. JH23

JH23 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Totally not apparent.
    You're doing a great job.

Lex DeVille and Fox like this.
  6. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    Thanks, I would do it either way but glad to see I am not the only one ha!

Lex DeVille likes this.
  7. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $55,801
    Got to hand it to you: You have a lot bigger balls than I do.

With that said, your video presence is really good, so I'm excited to see what comes in 2019.

As for your existing business, what happened to that? How are you starting a new company from scratch? You sold that one, or are branding and building up a separate corporation?

vinylawesome, Lex DeVille and Fox like this.
  8. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    I am just handing over work to my business partner who works on the Fox Web School stuff. She has the time to handle any changes or updates and its a nice bonus for helping me in return. If I do make any income from those it will be separate to this challenge. It will mostly be small stuff if there is even any - my sites don't need much maintenance.

I'll be honest about the videos - it takes quite a few takes and some days I just give up and try again when I am feeling 100%. Video can really take it out of you (or at least me) so after a few dozen failed takes I get pretty tired/frustrated. I am sure I will get better in time but for now, even making the videos is a challenge ha!

Tom.V, Roli, ontheRIGHTtrack and 4 others like this.
  9. .B.

.B. Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $131
    I can totally relate to your frustration: I recorded a few videos for a sales funnel 10 years ago
    Very time-consuming and the result is not pro when the bad parts are just cut out of the sequence, so it has to be good, end-to-end.

It is so much easier to just record the voice on top of the screen action (e.g. with Camtasia).
    That way the audio can be cut & pasted where needed and
    You don't need many takes to get one good end to end sequence.

If I had to do it again, that's how I'd do 80% of the takes

So maybe it's worth wondering how much you actually need to be seen full screen on every video to achieve your goal?

Maybe the intro and conclusion of the video is enough, the rest just with audio on top of the screen recording?

Another option to consider is the way this guy does his courses on Udemy:
    upload_2018-12-6_9-18-27.png
    his face just appears in a bottom corner!
    Pretty neat.

It still feels very personal, but we will not notice the interruption/change of position when a bad video sequence was cut out because we focus on the rest of the screen most of the time, not on his face;

Tom.V, ApparentHorizon, Fox and 3 others like this.
  10. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $164,685
    I don’t mind jump cuts as a consumer.

As a producer it was quite the revelation when I figured out how to edit videos and not have to do things in one take.

Tom.V, lowtek, Ascension and 5 others like this.
  11. Jeff Noel

Jeff Noel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,591
    Sorry for hijacking the thread for one post, but:

I'm late the the party, Avada (https://avada.theme-fusion.com/) is a great theme. It has both the versatility of being customizable for devs like me, and the custom "Fusion Builder" that's more user friendly and uses drag n' drop for a lot of good page elements.

You can easily untick elements so that they're not visible ton mobile devices, or only visible on mobile devices, etc. There's countdown elements, pre-skinned buttons, custom CSS for "containers" and their elements (scoped CSS). The list goes on. There's a few premium plugins included, like a white label one to hide EVERY mention of the theme, and even change the WP login screen. It's 100% compatible with WooCommerce.

All the demos you see in the right side bar (or elsewhere if you're on mobile), they're available in the theme itself.

12. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $5,043
    [​IMG]

Jeff Noel and therealmark like this.
  13. GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,923
    @Fox besides a very small percentage, I think almost everyone is uncomfortable behind the camera for videos. It definitely doesn't show though, you seem calm and collected for the content that I've watched.

Even though I've been following this challenge in the Facebook groups, I haven't had a chance to ask some questions yet so here are a few that I was thinking about:

1. You've had success in certain niches with your other web design business. Is the plan to continue to target those industries or other ones that you haven't worked with before?

2. Although I doubt these objections come up as you have the skills to keep the sales conversations about the client's problems and how you can help but... do you have an idea of how you'd handle it if a client asked about your previous experience?

3. One thing I was personally guilty of in the past was thinking that when I needed to make a sale I would go crazy and cold call 200 businesses in a week instead of focusing on maybe 20 businesses to reach out to in a week. I'm assuming the more specialized strategy is what you'll be using... how much time do you usually spend doing targeting for each potential lead?

Thanks!

Andy Black likes this.
  14. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    1) I will (most likely) be sticking with simple static sites for Blue Collar or similar industries. Only differences this time is added in value of things like video production, photos, and off-site systems like email.

I am going to take a guess and say that property and construction are going to be some main niches. I am not expecting much $ action for a few months though - I got to build up that portfolio first. WHich brings me to...

2) For the portfolio stage, I am going to go with some good web design training from one of my favourite movies...

I really am going to make them an offer they can't refuse:

- An amazing site with a clear plan to make them money and bring in new clients for basically no cost (during the portfolio stage).

The deals will be so good they won't care what I have done before and I will try to remove all risk. Ill try show exactly how this was done on the videos. I will take the money hit for this stage but it is the fastest way to get to the higher paying jobs.

3) I am going to be very strategic first few months. I won't need many calls at all in this stage - I will plan out deals that should have more of a chance of closing that not. But once the portfolio stage is done I then got to use that anyway I can to get real paying jobs. This is where the calls and emails will kick in. But even then I try to plan things out and avoid mega cold calling type approaches.

15. GuitarManDan

GuitarManDan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,923
    Honestly, my first thought when I saw this challenge was "some lucky business owners are going to have no idea what incredible value they're getting for practically no charge" haha!

Thanks for the feedback, this is really helpful.

Ascension, Required and Fox like this.
  16. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $55,801
    Let me know if you need volunteers.

Jeff Noel and Fox like this.
  17. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $5,043
    These guys knew absolutely nothing about stocks yet made millions selling penny stocks. Moral of the story-You do not need to know the product that you're selling to...sell it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxRStrx8xtc

Legend likes this.
  18. Jeff Noel

Jeff Noel Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,591
    How do you differentiate ? You tell them:

"Wix's SEO sucks. The problem with the automation is the lack of perfection. It's generic. The code behind is aweful. Yes, it might be beautiful, but you will lose customers in the end because they won't find you. And the moment you need a custom page for X form or Y product opt-in ? It's not possible in Wix, but I can definitely do it for you. What's your phone number ?"

19. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    Video 2 is up...

Any questions or feedback just let me know here.

Next week I start with actual client stuff so I am looking forward to seeing how that goes. I got one client meeting lined up so hopefully can record some of the sales meeting and the job itself.

20. ontheRIGHTtrack

ontheRIGHTtrack New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $57
    This is awesome!
    I feel lost in my corporate job. I have a bond with the company and have to pay them up 2000$ in order to be able to quit the company within my first 12 months.
    I am going to put my all in with your challenge and get my first steps in the entrepreneurial world and quit my dead end job for good.
    Thanks for the timely video @Fox .

21. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    Damn! Well make a new progress thread and tag me in it if you want. I am sure you can get that $2k soon and quit if you wish.

ontheRIGHTtrack and RMDS like this.
  22. RMDS

RMDS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $154
    Great intro/episode one. I have more hard skills (coding) than natural soft skills- sales. And not much of a portfolio, at least not alive today. I hope sales is also a hard skill by definition!

When pitching to clients, especially when building portf. - do you overpromise just to close or underpromise & overdeliver?

23. Georgios K.

Georgios K. New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $12
    Hi @Fox

Watched your two videos. Interesting project you're starting here and I'm very curious about your progress.

Fox likes this.
  24. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $72,647
    I try never to overpromise but I do use selling techniques to get them to take action...
    - Stack as much value as you can
    - Remove any doubts, fears, resistance to change

With clients, I would say I succeed cause I ask good questions/listen well and figure out the above two things the best I can.
    > What can I do to give them as much value as possible?
    > What do they consider valuable?
    and
    > How can I reduce anything which currently annoys or frustrates them?
    > And also making buying from me as easy as possible?

That is a very simple version but should help. Ill cover more in the future when I got real clients to refer to.

kristkaa, SMH, Legend and 2 others like this.
  25. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,140
    Hey @Fox -

Love your thread. I've checked out your website and YouTube channel as well. Two questions for you...

First, a technical one... What do they call the effect where the website scrolls up past a background scene that stays put. It's kind of like a window scrolling up that you can look through and see what's behind the "front page" that it is scrolling past. I hope that makes sense.

Secondly, from watching your video on making your $7,000 sale of a website, that was all well and good - but I am looking for a LOT more technical training. I watched several of your videos, and they are all excellent, of course. But I need to be able to "produce" world class results before I can compete effectively. Yes, the selling and marketing is important, but I need to really stand out as far as quality goes. Does your course concentrate on that part? Will I be able to be among the best of the best in creating content and style? I'm not talking about making an Amazon site with a huge database - I want what you refer to, which are "marketing websites that make money!" Hope that makes sense as well...

Keep up the good work. This is one of the best "adventures" I've been able to enjoy in a very long time. You have come so far in such a short time, and that is truly inspiring in and of itself!

Now don't worry about those of us NOT in a tropical paradise! Go have a rum and coke at the beach! Hey man - you got it ALL figured OUT!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.