• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

WEB SCHOOL Fox's 2019 Make $100k Starting Web Design from Scratch Challenge

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by Fox, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,717
    1. Nah for free sites I want to keep them smaller but high quality - less time for me to make but they still have the same leverage to get real sales later. Future sites will be bigger.

2. The gym site will take maybe 30 hours all in. But it varies so much on each project - I don't have an exact figure really.

3. Ya later I will build a team and outsource etc. The whole year won't be me by myself - more showing people how to scale and grow as best as possible. For now, though I try do the most I can myself to replicate someone else's experience starting off.

---

So just got the gym promo video made up. Site should be live Monday...

I shot all this in one night and then edited the next morning. Around 7 hours of work.

2. Daniel Tidwell

Daniel Tidwell New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    Nice work! I think you got more than just web design as a selling point, because your video production is spectacular. How do you do those fluid moving shots? What equipment and techniques do you use?

Dawid Paszko likes this.
  3. ProcessPro

ProcessPro Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $753
    Is there a way to make continuous income from clients, perhaps for handling hosting payments? Or is it just the one time payment for the job? Thanks.

4. Anakalypsi

Anakalypsi New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $23
    Great Vid @Fox. Added again tons of value for the gym!

5. jakeG

jakeG New Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $52
    There are tons of ways to generate recurring income in web development. Most commonly, web dev shops will be hosting resellers. They will have a dedicated server that they maintain that is supported by some like AWS, Rackspace, Digital Ocean, etc. then re-sell those servers to clients at a premium while also maintaining those servers.

Another way is to sell block hours on a monthly basis. I.e. a retainer for development. If the company makes lots of updates to their site regularly, selling them block hours at a reduced price from the regular hourly pricing can generate revenue.

However, these classic principles don't really align with what @Fox is doing here. Fox is doing project based only sites, cranking out a project for an awesome price, then moving on. I've been in development for about a decade, and can tell you that Fox's method is the way to go. Selling sub services and pitching by the hour can make your life hell.

ProcessPro, AdamUK and srodrigo like this.
  6. ProcessPro

ProcessPro Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $753
    Thanks!

Fox likes this.
  7. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,607
    Packing my bags to Mexico and going to the gym...

Fox and AdamUK like this.
  8. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,772
    I presume you mean meeting a prospect rather than a client?

If I meet a prospect, which I rarely do, then I *prefer* to meet in coffee shops.

If I travel to a coffee shop near them then they also have to make a small effort to leave their offices and meet me. It’s a nice little filter.

A coffee shop is also neutral ground and we’re meeting as peers. I’m a business owner chatting to another business owner.

By making it a chat over coffee then we’re avoiding the “sales dance” and can build a proper relationship.

Some folks, such as tradesmen, are used to traveling and meeting people in all sorts of offices and dwellings. If you’re working on a computer at home they often respect that. 1) Because they’d love to work from home sometimes. 2) Because they figure they’re not paying for your office.

All of the above to warn you to be careful of dismissing things so easily.

I often ask myself: Do I really need that? Is it possible someone in the world does very well without that?

Fox and Dawid Paszko like this.
  9. NewManRising

NewManRising Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,784
    If Fox or another member wants some work under their belt for their portfolio I have a website that could use some improvements or even be redesigned all together. I will give you a testimonial afterwards too.

jakeG and Bora.s like this.
  10. Daniel Tidwell

Rep Bank:
    $21
    I will bite, heres a couple projects I'm working on right now (both works very much in progress):

The Timeless Tempest

home - Cell Phone Repair Near Me | Cell Phone Doctor Fairfield Ohio (want to redo the header, not happy with it)

I'll do the project for free as a portfolio piece, email me at daniel@indigoskymedia.com with more details,

Dan

whiz likes this.
  11. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,607
    Camera + Stabilizer/gimball = smooth shots. He probably also uses a lens with image stabilization. He can also fix any shakiness in Post Production

Fox likes this.
  12. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $6,607
    There's a psychological reason behind coffee. It's due to association.

For example, you and your girlfriend have a favorite song together. You two break up one day. Now whenever you hear that one song, it hurts. You hate it now.

Coffee is warm. Whenever you drink coffee with a person, your brain associates the feeling of warmness with the other person.

Dawid Paszko, Fox, Everyman and 2 others like this.
  13. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,408
    I don't watch TV. YouTube is my TV. I just subscribed to your channel and look forward to your newest journey.

Fox likes this.
  14. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $170,772
    Ha. I never thought of this.

I actually don’t even like coffee.

15. Everyman

Everyman Get To The Choppa! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $669
    This is why you get rep from me and I won't associate giving rep with only you.

16. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $74,717
    Thanks, yes video and photos are something I want to offer as time goes on. The bigger plan over the next few years is building full sales systems that add a ton of value in a lot of different ways. Not "funnels" (since that is mostly for online purchases, but more an online pre-sell system that has buyers warmed up and ready to spend when they connect with the offline business part of the sales process. So videos are a great skill for this.

I have a basic Sony a7 camera, 35mm lens (for this video), and a stabilizer, its a Zhiyun Crane 2.

Yes tons of things you can offer monthly. Things like ads (social media, google), SEO (blog posts, backlinks, guest posts, articles and content), hosting and maintenance, email systems etc.

Depends on what you want and how you would like your own business set up to be.

Thanks. Yes, I think this will help them in a big way over time.

Great post, thanks. Yes I like one-off payments. Big cash up front haha!

Thanks but I won't be accepting websites from people on the forum for the challenge, I want to show how its possible for others so using advantages like this forum and my FB group is off the table. I appreciate it though - I am sure someone else can help you out.

jakeG likes this.
  17. whiz

whiz Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,081
    Fox likes this.
  18. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $74,717
    New video up.

This is starting to move in the direction I was aiming for - real details and info about actual website projects. Still a long way to go with production but this is the video I am probably most happy with so far.

Just HTML themes for now - simple and fast.

AdamUK, jakeG and Dezzamondo like this.
  19. Daniel Tidwell

Rep Bank:
    $21
    I agree, I think I'm more jealous of your righteous beard than your success.

Fox likes this.
  20. The Abundant Man

Rep Bank:
    $6,607
    The gym website looks fantastic Fox

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.