• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB SCHOOL Fox's 2019 Make $100k Starting Web Design from Scratch Challenge

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by Fox, Dec 3, 2018.

1. srodrigo

srodrigo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,118
    Doesn't sound too bad. I don't know what are your margins though, but I've seen here some people charging over 10k for static websites; those take a few weeks to build, so you can imagine the large margins we are talking about. That's why I say the risk of Type 2 projects doesn't pay off to me, given the extra amount of work (which implies a price increase) and the technical risks. But there might be people who still keep good margins with this kind of projects. It's just not what I've seen personally.

They are hard, but they exist. In some European cities they aren't even hard to find. You need top quality developers though that make a big impact.

The whole point of software development is not building stuff as someone else commands, but understanding the business and domain, so you can not only build the features better, but suggest improvements. There is no other way to really add value and get paid accordingly.

There are even strategies to make more impact in the decisions, like providing less technical roles like business analysts, than can work closer with stakeholders (often, developers can't when clients are big).

Fox and astr0 like this.
  2. WillHurtDontCare

WillHurtDontCare Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Worth noting: get as much of the content that you need from your client up front at the beginning to minimize delays from slow response time. I have an Upwork project that should have taken 3 days stretch into over 2 weeks because the client takes a day to respond to every email.

Or more generally, have a comprehensive action plan so that you aren't simply winging it from paragraph to paragraph.

srodrigo, Fox and journeyman like this.
  3. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $78,388
    Haven't updated in a while. Most recent video just went up today...

Really happy with this video (and the business progress). Was great to get up to Canada for a week and work with this client in person.

Tried to show best as possible in the video above the steps I take for preparing to build a website (before I ever start coding).

jpanarra likes this.
  4. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $78,388
    Thanks, Ill make a video on personal networks soon cause I think people misunderstand what I mean by that.

My network is everyone I meet. It doesn't mean I have some friends who just hand me projects - I connect with people and the time and go out of my way to meet new people whenever possible.

Case in point - by flying to this last web project I was able to be involved in two high-end food events. I stayed back after hours helping to wash dishes so I could network with the people involved. Turns out the owner of the venue is best friends with someone who made 300 million plus selling their business to Microsoft a few years back. Was able to sit down with them (the owner) for 2 hours and chat business and life.

Its all about putting yourself out there and building connections through value, not just spamming your services on FB and hoping a buddy buys (not directed at OP).

astr0, splok and srodrigo like this.
  5. WillHurtDontCare

WillHurtDontCare Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Mistakes made thus far:
    1. Did not ask client up from if he had his own hosting & domain figured out (he did not, and he wanted free solutions).
    2. Spent a few hours trying to rebuild HTML code to fit in WordPress; gave up because I just don't know enough about WordPress to actually deliver that product. I repeated the same process with Weebly, with the same result.
    3. Realized that I know nothing about web hosting or domain names.
      1. I saw that GoDaddy has $1 plans, but that only includes one website. I don't know if one website means www.onewebsite.com & www.onewebsite.com/about_us means 2 websites.
    More mistakes on the way. I'll post them as I reflect on them.

Fox likes this.
  6. WillHurtDontCare

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Just had a 25 minute interview with a client about a one page landing site job that could be high exposure. Think the interview went well (almost a 30 minute call), though there are no guarantees. Useful experience, plus more than I expected from a random Craig's List posting that I responded to.

astr0 and Fox like this.
  7. Solid Snake

Solid Snake New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $51
    do you use any metrics when pitching to companies?

"i can increase your sales conversion (or revenue) rate by xyz%" etc

8. WillHurtDontCare

Rep Bank:
    $208
    I would if I had previous clients. Can't promise what I haven't delivered on.

9. Solid Snake

Solid Snake New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $51

Sorry, I meant @Fox

jpanarra and Ninjakid like this.
  10. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,051
    Did you just come to Fox's thread to track Gray Fox?

Solid Snake likes this.
  11. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $78,388
    I love that video game ha.

I don’t ever promise results - I point to past jobs and use that as social proof/evidence I have delivered in the past.

Saying I can do “X %” is going to seem like total BS given the amount of factors involved in a business. I’m skeptical of anyone throwing around promises like that and so will most business owners.

Solid Snake and WillHurtDontCare like this.
  12. WillHurtDontCare

Rep Bank:
    $208
    Does anyone have advice on how to isolate which lines of code in a pre-built HTML theme cause what output on the website? The brute force method of checking all CSS assigned to a class is taking a while and does not always work.

13. bobfour

bobfour Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $167
    Web design is getting harder and harder to be viable unless they need something really unique. Wordpress, Squarespace, etc.. make it incredibly easy to avoid the $3000+ for a unique site design.

14. WillHurtDontCare

Rep Bank:
    $208
    A well designed website is a means, not an end. If you know how to assemble the right content (pictures & stories) you can bring in far more value than something canned from WordPress.

It's not about the website, it's about what the website gets you.

Fox, Samera and MAB1138 like this.
  15. Samera

Samera New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $24
    Think this is what I like the most about @Fox content, he make's it clear that as much as having a "pretty" website is great, the most important thing is improving on weak points and getting results. As you say, it's all about value! A SquareSpace website may be cheap/simple but can it return the same value as something tailored to a business as means to truly increase revenue and improve customer rapport? Hell no!

Fox likes this.
  16. Samera

Samera New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $24
    You're looking for "inspect element", essentially just right click on highlighted material on any website and hit "inspect element" and you'll see a developer box pop-up. You may want to give this page at Google a look over: Inspect and Edit Pages and Styles  |  Tools for Web Developers  |  Google Developers

Hope that helps a bit mate

WillHurtDontCare likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.