• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Creation of my Self-Help Brand

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Connor_Motivasis, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Connor_Motivasis

Connor_Motivasis Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $897
    I've wanted to do this for quite some time and made a million excuses for why I shouldn't but I finally got started on creating my own self-help brand.

I started about a month back on this one in particular. Right now it consists of a few social media accounts like Instagram and youtube, as well as a blog styled website.

The links for all this stuff will be near the bottom of this post if you want to shoot me some advice, or if you're interested in the subject matter.

I want to know what you guys think of the concept, maybe what kind of niche you feel might be a good fit for me and my brand. Also, any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

I'm also very aware that the video content isn't perfect. I'm very new to being in front of a camera so if you notice a lot of filler words and stumbling I promise that will become less of an issue with time.

All of this stemmed from me and my brother's efforts to create affiliate websites. We have quite a few running at the moment, a few of them have finally aged enough to get a small amount of traffic but its still largely a learning process at this time. My hope is that both our niche affiliate sites, as well as our individual brands, will provide us with a liveable income within the next year or two.

The basic premise is to express my interest in the area of Self-Help and Self Employment. The Instagram is basically only motivational quotes for the time beings. My youtube channel and website will be more focused on providing quality content.

Motivasis.com

Motivasis YouTube Channel

Instagram

Edit 4/22/2019:

I'm liking the feedback from this site, extremely brutal, no holding my hand. The idea at this moment is shit. Here's my first attempt at rectifying that.

Inclusion of scientific research and citation in both my online articles as well as my youtube videos. I've found that there is a fairly nice amount of people looking for the why's behind all this self-help mumbo jumbo. Why is Tony Robbin's information valid? Is it even valid?

Next is the inclusion of an app. There are a million and one habit forming and motivation apps out there. My initial thought is to create an app specifically targeting the audience that forms around the above idea. Including some of the better functionality I find in other top rated apps (I've created apps in the past, the execution shouldn't be an issue)

The specifics of that app are still changing, I have a few specific ideas, but that's the outline. Now tear it the F*ck up. What can I improve?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    MHP368 likes this.
  2. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,116
    Did you read any of MJ's books? We get these types of requests all the time lately....

ruzara5 and AgainstAllOdds like this.
  3. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    I'm in the middle of reading unscripted. Figured using the forum would be okay before completing the book. I wanted to feel out the community. Am I breaking some kind of rule? I assumed this part of the forum was used to show what we are currently executing on.

4. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,116
    No but reading the millionaire fast lane and unscripted usually answers a lot of your answers on a strategic level. Many marketers in the past couple of weeks just barge in here and start spamming their sites and ebooks and courses. I suggest reading the 2 books first and than start asking questions as the questions become repetitive. You’ll most likely find the answers in those books

1523., Xeon, Guest921Y and 3 others like this.
  5. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    I'm asking for peer review to better and solidify my ideas. Now I'm not saying the books won't help me do this, but there is no replacement for a second pair of eyes. The book can't look at my particular situation and give it's opinion. If you think my idea is shit, just say that (I'd prefer if you gave a reason why) I'll take the criticism into consideration. I don't ask many questions in my post. I just ask that those who are interested take a look.

Side not: I'm not sure if you think I'm trying to advertise, but that's really not my intention.

6. Envision

Envision Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,918
    What have you done?

You're regurgitating what Tony Robbins, Tim Ferriss and every other self help wanna be has done.

No one wants to take advice from someone who has not accomplished anything. You're better off building something that adds to your credibility, become a actual millionaire, live your actual daily routine, then once you've become someone who is successful people will want to listen to you.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  7. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $75,315
    Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

A dime a dozen, Connor. Millions of other similar websites, IG and youtube channels available out there and I'm not seeing anything with yours that separates you from the herd.

The reason Maxboost is really persuading you to read the books is that you will learn all about many great business ideologies like CENTS, Productocracy, Value Competition, and Value Skews. Once you understand the concepts from Unscripted and The Millionaire Fastlane you may very well come to the conclusion that you're wasting your time with Motivasis.

View: https://youtu.be/LE4iUdRu8sw

View: https://youtu.be/Hr_sj4Cq6GM

floridaman, Roz, Xeon and 6 others like this.
  8. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    I don't claim to have accomplished anything financially. The only major accomplishment I've made involved freelance web development, which didn't make me a millionaire just made me a working wage on my own terms out of high school. The purpose of Motivasis is to teach mental health techniques and building healthy habits. If those visiting my site are looking to become millionaires these skills are adjacent, not directly involved. That's why I point to a different resource on the site from someone who has made millions of dollars (That resource is also a test to see what kind of income can be made through affiliates) for those interested in that sort of thing.

Now I'm not arguing that my idea is unique. I know this has been done a million times. I'm looking to find a niche somewhere inside the "Self-Help" market. Regardless of if you or many of those who are awake to the idea of entrepreneurship think its a load of bull, there are many people who find comfort and motivation from learning these things. The end goal is to produce a following then create software and a course that help reinforce healthy habits.

I still appreciate the response and criticism. Even if it is a bit blunt.

9. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, criticism is why I'm posting here after all. I didn't expect such an immediate backlash, but if that's the immediate response then maybe I should rethink some of my ideas. I do feel people are taking it at face value as a "Get Rich Quick" scheme, which is understandable.

Worst case, Motivasis crashes and burns, but I'll be damned if I don't learn something from the process.

AdamUK and Bekit like this.
  10. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $75,315
    If it's an option on doing Motivasis or not doing anything at all, go with Motivasis. You will learn.

However, do yourself a huge favor. Finish reading Unscripted this weekend. Then read it again during this week with a highlighter and notepad.

AdamUK, Roz, Xeon and 5 others like this.
  11. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    I'll focus on reading it :smile2:

Lex DeVille likes this.
  12. 404profound

404profound Platinum Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,912
    What problem are you trying to solve that hasn't been crushed into the dirt already?

Xeon and Lex DeVille like this.
  13. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    If it was crushed into the dirt we wouldn't have this forum, would we? Motivation spans many ideas. It's constantly evolving. Part of the process is finding out where there's a hole that needs to be filled. I can't do that effectively unless I directly involve myself in my target market.

As for what I'm doing that's new. I'm reaching out to a younger demographic. One that focuses more on social media than books. How I do that is still up in the air. Hense me posting on this forum looking to get constructive criticism. So far, all I've gotten is people taking a glance at the site and writing it off.

I assumed this would be more constructive, not destructive.

14. 404profound

404profound Platinum Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,912
    Your first mistake is taking any of it personally. It's not destructive, it's critical. You should be more worried if people see you about to make a mistake and say nothing. Sites like this are popular because they are tied to an administrator with credibility (MJ). This site is also at least a decade old. What you're about to do is jump into blood-red competitive waters, where well-funded sharks have already depleted the profit food chain. But I'll leave you with that, take your risk as you may.

Xeon, Guest921Y and James Cozens like this.
  15. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $54,578
    A potential customer will do even less.

I looked at the site and only clicked one post. It was the review post. Reviews are popular and there's an available niche for people who are interested in taking courses, coaching, and other programs. They want to know they aren't wasting their money and time. That could be a good niche, but only if you spend time doing real reviews that aren't biased because you want to make some quick affiliate sales.

There were two problems for me though. First, the writing was way too dull and didn't feel at all authentic. Instead it looks like a half-assed attempt to sell me into the program through your affiliate link (which it is). Also looks like a cheap freelancer was hired to write the post.

The other problem is you have no credibility. The site is barely a blog. It doesn't speak to a younger demographic. It doesn't really speak to anyone. If I were a visitor landing here I would assume the following:

1) This guy's website either isn't finished or is and he doesn't know what he's doing.
    2) This guy clearly has no audience and nobody following him.
    3) This guy wasted my time to sell me affiliate products and wealth-building courses when he isn't wealthy.

If you want to operate in the self-help space, you need credibility. You need proof. People. Testimonials. Proof you've been successful with the stuff you teach. Otherwise you become a guru hack. You can make money that way too, but it won't happen very fast without spending a shit ton of money first, and you won't get very positive responses from this forum.

My opinion is the concept sucks. If you had a niche it would be slightly better. For this kind of material you should come up with your own niche based on your own experience. Not what's a good fit for you and your "brand."

Usually the way to pick a niche is to choose a niche you can actually help, and in the self-help space people want to see that you practice what you preach. If you're selling wealth-building motivation courses, then you should be wealthy.

This quote is why others are recommending you finish the book. You have "quite a few" affiliate websites and you're not earning a liveable income. This indicates a mindset and approach problem, which the book may help you solve.

If for whatever reason you continue down this path, my advice would be this:

1. Get real results doing the exact thing you teach and be ready to back them up with proof.
    2. Write for the niche you are in, not the one you think will make you money fastest.
    3. Improve your writing, video, funneling skills.
    4. Don't post anything for sale on your website for the next year until you have an audience and a bunch of people who've thanked you for how much you've changed their lives with the free stuff.

In all honesty I don't see you making any money with the website as it is right now unless you somehow get your posts in front of the dumbest people on the planet who have a broken bullshit detector. Problem with those people is they also got no money to spend.

16. AllenCrawley

Rep Bank:
    $75,315
    Actually, not new at all.

Lex pointed out something. Your site seems more geared to selling some course as an affiliate. Not geared towards actual, concrete help. Maybe that's content you plan to ultimately provide but right now it just seems like a half-assed attempt to sell a get rich course.

Guest921Y and Lex DeVille like this.
  17. Valhalla

Valhalla Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $913
    My interest was piqued by the title scientific explanation of the law of attraction and mirror neurons but then ... None of it is explained at all and credibility and believability go right out the window.

Can you explain this concept?

Xeon likes this.
  18. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,806
    Admin Post
    How about you use your motivational techniques to build something that will give you credibility first?

Sell a company for a few million?
    Speak to a few million people?
    Sell a few million fiction books?

Accomplish something first.

Then maybe go for the motivational guru route.

I don't understand, why is this so hard to understand with young people?

You can't "motivational guru" yourself to success. And just because Tai Lopez did it, doesn't mean you can.

Roz, SYK, Xeon and 8 others like this.
  19. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $188,003
    My advice is to watch this from Gary V:

And maybe check this call
    out:

Einfamilienhaus, Xeon and Lex DeVille like this.
  20. Envision

Envision Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $22,918
    I say it bluntly in hopes to get a point across, not to be rude to you.

You're right, the idea is not unique and you could totally spend months, years creating content for your idea. But my point is you don't have the credibility to do so. Why would I listen to you over Tim Ferris or Aubrey Marcus or even some of the members on this forum.

It's not the message its the messenger and what the messenger has done.

I am your end consumer, I am 24, obsessed with getting better and building businesses, biohacking, learning, optimizing routines and schedules. But I wouldn't listen to you because I always look at the messenger.

If you like your idea, turn Motivasis into a habit creation planner, or an app, or something that actually fulfills a need and pursue that then come back to yourself.

21. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    Alright, I'm starting to understand a bit better where everyone is coming from. Far too early for me to be selling anything. larger mistake using a wealth base affiliate when I myself am not wealthy. That was made more as a test for page layouts more than anything, but I doubt anyone cares about that anyhow since it is open to the public.

I do specifically disagree with this part of the post, the reason I even have more than one is that we are focusing on gaining traffic through SEO. I don't know what everyone's background is and how much you know about Googles system for ranking (So excuse me if you already know this), but they have a roughly six month sandbox period where your domain is tested for frequency of posts and activity to see if you're worth ranking for specific search terms. After that period the domain continues to age and backlinks are used to increase domain authority. This is mostly just a time-consuming process, so I moved on to other projects to look for opportunities. These other sites are growing slowly. The oldest is gets around 10,000 views per month but it is in the gaming niche and is very hard to monetize and make much money off of without significantly higher volume. The other's are affiliate based, most of them are product sites and again need time to age to rank.

Either way, I appreciate the thorough response.

22. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille Sweeping Shadows from Dreams Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $54,578
    Can't stop you from disagreeing. You still have a mindset and an approach problem. The mindset problem is the belief that you need to "get traffic" to make money and the approach problem is the belief that you need to wait for SEO to age for that to happen.

ClaverCasley, Xeon and Limitlessmind like this.
  23. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    That was a quick article written for the purpose of selling that course. I agree it's lacking, something I'll rectify in the future. If this article were perfect how in depth would you want the research on mirror neurons to be? I have a few scholarly articles on the subject, but I figured people didn't give a crap about the nitty-gritty. Would it be more appealing if it were both more in-depth and not associated with an affiliate?

If you want a quick summary about mirror neurons, they are a type of neuron structure that has been observed in primates. They are responsible for the "Monkey see, Monkey do." behavior in all primates. It also affects emotional responses in humans (IE empathy), it's one of the components of subconscious communication, things like body language, minor changes in facial expression, and tone. Its relationship to the law of attraction is a stretch, but if you're the kind of person that believes mindset has an effect on reality, this is a possible explanation. Some suggest it shows a link between your emotional state and the states of those around you.

If you just want to read about the subject, the National Center for Biotechnology Information has an overview article on the subject.
    Mirror neurons: Enigma of the metaphysical modular brain

Valhalla likes this.
  24. Connor_Motivasis

Rep Bank:
    $897
    Not to say traffic is the only way of making money, but are you saying its not a way at all? cause that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

25. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $188,003
    Don’t think of it as traffic?

This thread might help, in particular the 6th post (but don’t skip the earlier posts):

Xeon likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.