The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Thriving Personal Brand w/ YouTube - A Journal & A Personal Guide.

JonathanMiz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Apr 4, 2020
Israel
That's insane! You have a very good talent for YouTube keep it going... I've been doing at least 1 video a week since September 2019 and nothing is moving. The market is telling you something :fire: :fire:

I have some thinking to do with my own channel LOL

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would like to make mention that the response to @Valier videos, the swelling of subscribers is a perfect example of the feedback loop.

The market has reflected an indication of value and I'm sure James is feeling intense feelings of passion -- it's terribly hard to produce videos when you have no audience, or the audience doesn't like your content.

With a fired and connected feedback loop, I'm guessing that producing new videos won't require much motivation now and that the drive to push harder is now easier. That's the power of a feedback loop which fires passion.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This thread is super interesting and very motivating.

It has me rethinking my own approach and maybe cutting back in posting each week to work on much higher quality. I just rewatched some of your content and it’s clear a lot of effort goes into the concept/strategy.

Do you have any advice for an established channel @Valier on how to go about making improvements?

If you ever start a YouTube growth course let me know - you got a lot you can teach people!

OMAKOJI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 21, 2019
Let's get this started with a basic introduction.

Hi, I'm James. 19 y/o from the UK, chose not to go university since there wasn't any subject I wanted to study that would suit my direction in life. The big goal is to be semi-retired by 30, but that's okay if I don't get there, I'm focusing on the process and journey above all else.

I recently started up my new business which if you are a FLF INSIDERS, you can find my thread here:

So then, what's this about a personal brand & a YouTube channel?
I came to a realisation that I wish I had come to a few years back: a personal brand is an incredibly powerful thing. Especially in business, and especially if you are trying to go fastlane.

With just 100 loyal fans you can do so much to promote your other side hustles, and/or monetise that audience.

This realisation drove me to conclude that I wanted to start building up my own personal brand - right now, with no hesitation, and do my absolute best to get this thing up and running because let's all be clear here: the odds are not in my favour. There are so many channels out there, that it's damn near impossible to be seen amongst the crowd...
or is it?

A Guide as well as Documentation

The purpose of this thread is to not only document my process and journey, but also provide a guide for what is working/isn't working and how you can learn from whatever mistakes I make.

Provide value above all else, as always.

Keeping it Honest and Real
Like in my INSIDERS thread, I want to be entirely transparent with everyone and keep it as real & as honest as I can.

If one day I decide to just quit the whole thing I will document it on here. I'm in this till I either succeed, pivot, or quit, and you'll have a clear picture on where this process will take me, and where I may have gone wrong/gone right.

What's Been Done So Far...
I already have my channel up and running, and as a matter of fact, you can check out my first video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg6CGNoynDI

How the First Video Went.
Keeping up with the theme of transparency: I was very nervous when recording and releasing this video.

I've done a lot of acting throughout my childhood - teenage years, and making this video was more nerve wrecking to me than any audition that I've done in the past. But this is the first barrier that people will face if you're trying to make it on this platform: THE FEAR OF POSTING YOUR FIRST VIDEO.

Once I posted that video, I felt a slight sense of relief. I sent a few messages out to some close friends who I had told I was starting this channel up, and they went on to watch it. And a few of them shared the video on their Instagram stories.

Let me be clear here: I was too nervous to post this video on my social media. That's why I just DM'd some friends, in the hopes that I can land maybe 80 views on the video to get me started off.

But once some of these friends posted it to their story something amazing happened: other people started sharing it on their story. Some of these people were friends, but there were also some that I hadn't spoken to or seen in a while that shared it. I even had some really kind messages about how they found the video really helpful and well done.

I really didn't think it was a great video at first. I thought it was bad, and kinda boring because the nerves really stopped me from bringing the energy to the screen that I usually could do with acting. My only intention was to post the first video no matter how nervous I felt about it.

After I felt that positive feedback, I finally made the leap and posted it to my own socials. In total the video sits at around 260 views, 32 likes, and 8 comments. I was more than impressed by that as a debut video - I genuinely didn't think it would surpass 100. I earned about 35 subscribers in total from that video, and a few new followers on my Instagram.

The Goals.
My goal isn't really to be 'internet famous' or anything like that. It's simply to get a personal brand started up, have my name put out there, share some genuine advice from someone who is passionate about entrepreneurship, and self development (no 'woo-woo' selling my $1500+ course shit), and see where it goes.

If you're looking for some specific targeted goals, here's my main objective for the year:
Reach 1,000 subscribers by 2021.

That's all. For now. The reason why I say this is that the subscriber count is really just a vanity metric. I'm more interested in improving things like watch time, and Click-Through-Rate (CTR) - y'know, the metrics that actually count. But until I have some data from my own videos to work off, I can't set those targets as of right now.

My aim is to post once a week. Although it may be once every two weeks every so often. Truth is, I'm balancing three things here: the channel is one thing, the full time job is another, and my other side hustle which I've been working super hard on is the third. Ideally, the latter two are working hand-in-hand, but that doesn't deviate from the fact that my full time job as an estate agent has some ungodly hours that can really eat into free time.

But again, all will be documented here.

Conclusion
That's about it for now.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me them.

And most importantly: ALL feedback is appreciated, the good, the bad, the ugly. All of it.

Have a wonderful weekend folks
You've motivated me bro. I will come back to this thread with results by December 2020. Congrats. For the monitization stuff for using other peoples works, it is allowed on Youtube the way you edited it.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Would like to make mention that the response to @Valier videos, the swelling of subscribers is a perfect example of the feedback loop.

The market has reflected an indication of value and I'm sure James is feeling intense feelings of passion -- it's terribly hard to produce videos when you have no audience, or the audience doesn't like your content.

With a fired and connected feedback loop, I'm guessing that producing new videos won't require much motivation now and that the drive to push harder is now easier. That's the power of a feedback loop which fires passion.

Yup - can confirm that I'm now working to produce higher-quality videos on the back of all the positive feedback I've gotten.

Whereas before I would end my days playing a video game, or doing some YouTube binging - I'm now watching videos on Premiere Pro and After Effects to help me learn new techniques and tricks.

Also, I'm reading a lot more during my 5-minute breaks between video editing. (For those that are curious, I’m using the pomodoro technique to keep myself productive).

But I'm also making sure that I don't get burnt out.

I'm clocking in about 12 hours a day of working, which I can keep up for a while, but I know that the gas tank will likely last for a year or so until it "breaks" and some form of recuperation will be needed.

Which on that note, if anyone has any advice on how to avoid burnout/recover from one, would love to hear it!

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
This thread is super interesting and very motivating.

It has me rethinking my own approach and maybe cutting back in posting each week to work on much higher quality. I just rewatched some of your content and it’s clear a lot of effort goes into the concept/strategy.

Do you have any advice for an established channel @Valier on how to go about making improvements?

If you ever start a YouTube growth course let me know - you got a lot you can teach people!

There's definitely a lot of strategies/advice that I have right now, but I'm trying to validate it all through my channel first.

I would definitely recommend posting out higher quality videos to most channels.

In the current ecosystem of social media, where people just pump out content non-stop, if you go the extra mile to produce something of higher quality, I think that could benefit you greatly.

But there are of course, more nuances to it as well that I'm still working out.

I think I might make a YouTube course in the future, once I'm happy with the video editing course, and I've properly validated my ideas and strategies for growing on YouTube! :D

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
if anyone has any advice on how to avoid burnout/recover from one, would love to hear it!
"Start how you mean to continue." ?

If you don't want to work 12 hour days later on, then consider the working day you'd like and do something close to that?

Also, go for "strolls". I used to go for 45 minute strolls every evening before settling in for my evening shift at the computer. No rush, no stopwatch. Let your mind chatter away making sense of what's "on you mind". I'd come over with a sense of calm. I'd also know what I needed to do next, rather than be overwhelmed with a big to-do list.

I get it though. Sometimes we need to go faster.

"We can't break tackles at marathon pace." (Blaise Brosnan)

I personally don't believe growing a business is a marathon not a sprint. I think business is more a series of sprints than a marathon. Just remember ... you can't sprint forever.

StarVoyager

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jun 3, 2020
Missouri, USA
Two days ago, I saw a video on my YT home page that kept popping up. I decided to go ahead and click it knowing full well I'd probably click off of it after the first few seconds depending on how the content was. It was about the rise of fake gurus and it piqued my curiosity.

I was mesmerized by the content, so much so I began to look at the other videos on the channel. By the end of the video about self-help, I subscribed because not only was the content great, the production value was incredible.

I shared it privately with one of my work friends. She loved it and mentioned Unscripted and how great it was. I had never read anything from @MJ DeMarco so I decided to go ahead and get the audiobook, which I'm in the process of listening to now and is mind blowing. I also have Fastlane waiting to be heard as well.

My point to all this was that YOUR videos brought me here and I am surprised and encouraged by your work. I wish I had had as much foresight when I was your age, but I didn't. Regardless, I'll be listening and watching as you grow and I really hope you continue to put out high value content as this is currently my desire to do as well, albeit in a bit of a different niche.

TWO things:
1. Your voice, like others have mentioned, is part of the reason I was so captivated. I WANT to hear more (and no, this isn't some type of old lady fantasy. :p ) but the fact that you have a good commanding tone helps you deliver your message.
2. I would like to be part of the beta when you have the video course if possible. If you haven't started a mailing list for this yet, I suggest you do and I will subscribe.

Thank you for such great work and showing how to take videos to a whole 'nother level!

PJBuys

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 2, 2020
Somerset-West, South Africa
Wow, cant wait for your next vidoe,

thats why I am here..... watched all you videos.. and got the TFFM book, and I just want to say thanks
Well, MJ should say thanks, and I am about to start unscripted ..

Keep it up, you got an excellent recipe, very normal, natural, BRILLIANT.

PJBuys

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 2, 2020
Two days ago, I saw a video on my YT home page that kept popping up. I decided to go ahead and click it knowing full well I'd probably click off of it after the first few seconds depending on how the content was. It was about the rise of fake gurus and it piqued my curiosity.

I was mesmerized by the content, so much so I began to look at the other videos on the channel. By the end of the video about self-help, I subscribed because not only was the content great, the production value was incredible.

I shared it privately with one of my work friends. She loved it and mentioned Unscripted and how great it was. I had never read anything from @MJ DeMarco so I decided to go ahead and get the audiobook, which I'm in the process of listening to now and is mind blowing. I also have Fastlane waiting to be heard as well.

My point to all this was that YOUR videos brought me here and I am surprised and encouraged by your work. I wish I had had as much foresight when I was your age, but I didn't. Regardless, I'll be listening and watching as you grow and I really hope you continue to put out high value content as this is currently my desire to do as well, albeit in a bit of a different niche.

TWO things:
1. Your voice, like others have mentioned, is part of the reason I was so captivated. I WANT to hear more (and no, this isn't some type of old lady fantasy. :p ) but the fact that you have a good commanding tone helps you deliver your message.
2. I would like to be part of the beta when you have the video course if possible. If you haven't started a mailing list for this yet, I suggest you do and I will subscribe.

Thank you for such great work and showing how to take videos to a whole 'nother level!
I know how you feel, couldn’t get enough of his videos.. just finished fastlane, starting unscriped
well done, young man,

PJBuys

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 2, 2020
Update 1. The Two Metrics that Matter Over EVERYTHING.

The Second Video is Out
Already had it scheduled for today - and it's officially out:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Gpr7PEnbs&feature=youtu.be

Had a really fun time creating that video - it's all about the business model of some of these 'online gurus' when it comes to selling their courses + programs, and how their marketing can be incredibly deceiving and taking advantage of people in a vulnerable position financially.

Check it out if that interests you. But more importantly...

Researching the Algorithm
So I've been doing quite a bit of research and have found some amazing videos that can help you if you're trying to understand how to grow on Youtube.

The overall rule at the moment is this: the Youtube Algorithm is Your God.

Youtube's algorithm is what decides whether or not your video should be suggested to other users on the platform. It's like God passing a judgment over your video - if the algorithm favours you, you'll get some good views, and if the algorithm loves you, then you'll have a "viral" video.

But what does the algorithm even look for?

The Two Metrics That Matter the Most
Watch time.
Click-Through-Rate (CTR from now on).

These two single metrics will give the algorithm a good enough idea of how much they want your video to be promoted.

Watch time is the total amount of time, on average that viewers spend watching your video.

Click-Through-Rate is how many people who have seen your youtube video appear on their search/suggested videos/any other location on Youtube (otherwise known as impressions) and have actually clicked on your video from there.

These two single metrics explain what the algorithm favours.

I will create another post with a little more information. But check out these amazing videos that are incredibly insightful for growing a Youtube channel:

This guy explains how one of his videos went viral (side note: that viral video is now at 42MILLION views).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHsa9DqmId8

Here is a video by Devin Nash:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNpgKkjTpU

Seriously, this guy has some awesome videos on business, but some gold dust on building a Youtube channel/personal brand. I highly recommend you go through some of his videos.

Here is a good look into how Mr.Beast (the fastest growing Youtuber at the moment) managed to build his success:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ-ogw8AZ3o
I am just glad the only money I spend was on that video and @MJ DeMarco ’s books

SebastiaanVaz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
May 19, 2020
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
As I already expected, other big YouTubers are noticing James and are now creating videos about him left and right.

@Valier, on top of all the other staggering influence you've exercised on everyone so far, you are also a huge source of inspiration. I mean, the growth you are experiencing on YouTube is almost unheard of.

We all got absolute GOLD on our hands, because, really, all that you need to know to do the same can be found by analyzing James' first posts in this thread as well as his YouTube channel and videos.

Don't wait for his course; do your research and produce.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Just came across your channel today James. Very impressed with every aspect of your production. It’s easy for me to see why it’s blowing up....

...The second job I ever had was working in a butchers shop when I was 14. There was one lesson I learnt there that stuck with me. My teacher, the owner, told me not to sell the prime cuts but all the others first. I asked why.

His reply

“The best always sells itself”.

Your content is some of the best I’ve seen on YouTube. Keep up the great work.

JonathanMiz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Apr 4, 2020
Israel
Your skills are blowing my mind.
Everything is connected so well.
Your storytelling, editing, research is created in such a beautiful way OMG
And it's not just that, you need to have a lot of knowledge
and be competent to plan these videos.
With these SKILLS you can take any boring topic and make it entertaining.
RESPECT :clap:::clap::

Where do you find your movie clips? Just YouTube?
How do you learn to edit? As you go?
Did you learn storytelling and filmmaking? (Throw me some resources if you can haha)
I assume you have read a lot about these topics and
while creating the video you learn and refine your knowledge more. Is it?

You both INSPIRED me and KICKED my a$$ with my failed YouTube channel
I'm going to research the hell out of you to improve my video production.

Thanks!

Last edited:

PJBuys

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Jun 2, 2020
Just came here to say that if it wasn’t for James’ amazing videos on YouTube and his recommendation to read The Millionaire Fastlane ... I wouldn’t have found this community!

Keep up the great work!

Same here, Finished TFLM and busy with unscripted , thanks to James.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As I already expected, other big YouTubers are noticing James and are now creating videos about him left and right.

@Valier, on top of all the other staggering influence you've exercised on everyone so far, you are also a huge source of inspiration. I mean, the growth you are experiencing on YouTube is almost unheard of.

We all got absolute GOLD on our hands, because, really, all that you need to know to do the same can be found by analyzing James' first posts in this thread as well as his YouTube channel and videos.

Don't wait for his course; do your research and produce.
Good find. I've watched that guy's videos before.

In this particular video he was asking for more information about @Valier's background or journey because he's going to do a video breaking down how James grew his channel.

Sooo...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So here's some of my take-aways from this thread:

There's often an argument of quality vs quantity.

Quality beats (lower quality) quantity, and this thread and MJ's books show that it's not even close.

However, there's threads in here (including mine) where people give themselves a challenge to do something once a day for X number of days. I still stand by those challenges for a few reasons:
  1. They get you started.
  2. When it comes to creating talking head videos or recording podcasts, they help you get over yourself.
  3. You learn blazingly fast.
  4. You get into a habit and a rhythm.
  5. You develop and hone an end to end process.
  6. You learn things when you make "mistakes" and get a different result.

Rapid production can improve quality.

There is a famous parable in the book Art and Fear that goes like this:

The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality.

His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the “quantity” group: fifty pound of pots rated an “A”, forty pounds a “B”, and so on. Those being graded on “quality”, however, needed to produce only one pot – albeit a perfect one – to get an “A”.

Well, came grading time and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity. It seems that while the “quantity” group was busily churning out piles of work – and learning from their mistakes – the “quality” group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.

My personal strategy is to do both.

If I want to learn or get into something new, then I want to do it many times and I want to cycle through the process as rapidly as possible. I set myself a 30 day challenge with a goal to putting things out there daily for public scrutiny, but I'm not trying to grow a following or get "traction". My goal is to get better at it, and observe the market feedback to see what works or not. My goal is to come up with a process, and to "get" it.

It's a vastly different thing to do something ourselves rather than just read it in a book or follow someone else doing it.

Once I've done something multiple times (and am even getting bored of it) then I have a much better vision of how it should be done best. Now I stop and think about how to make the best version I can.

Personal example: Creating little Google Ads videos on YouTube.

I created quite a videos on my personal YouTube channel. One suddenly got a lot of thankful feedback. I was surprised. I put ad spend behind it, and it got more views and likes, for tiny ad spend.

I've retired to my bat cave to mull over how to create the best version of that video I can, so it's super short and to the point (which is a common theme in the positive feedback I get from my videos and course).

I'll do it again and see if that can generate email signups. If it does then I have the bones of a replicable strategy.

I'll THEN create a brand new channel where I use those learnings from scratch... without the library of a few years worth of random videos.

So yeah, strive for perfection, but consider getting there sooner by getting *out* there sooner.

Super inspiring thread @Valier.

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
Oh man, this was so inspiring and surreal. I had this thread bookmarked after MJ shared it on his instagram story a few days back, and then today I saw your "kevin systrom" video in the suggested videos of MJ's latest "excellence" video. I was wondering who this "james jani" is and why I haven't heard of him before (first thought was some fake guru lol). Anyway, I clicked on it and thought the video was pretty cool. Then I started reading the bookmarked thread later in the day and the first video here was of you, from jan 2020, with around 100 subs!! {Mouth -> Floor haha)

Super impressive and well done! Went back and saw most of them. Your videos are great, love the cinematic editing, content and your voice. Combine that with the effort you are putting in, it's perfect combo for viral success! And thanks for sharing your journey and all the tips. I'm curious where you get the music and stock footage for your videos from (other than the film clips). Is there some kind of subscription website you use ?

I recently started a YouTube channel as well where I do coding tutorials, the first video was the most nerve wracking to put out so I can totally relate to you (took me 5 weeks and I re-shot it many times!), but it was well received and since then I've been doing 1 a week (currently on #3). I'm on ~150 subs in 3 weeks and am going to apply all the techniques from the start of your thread and optimize CTR and watch time. It just started as a side gig for me as a way for me to practice improving my speaking skills and drive traffic to a future course, but I can see the potential now and it growing into another revenue stream so I'm going to focus on quality more from now as well.

I do have a quick suggestion for you - in all your videos you are calling out people to subscribe and display an animated "subscribe" icon in the bottom center of the screen, but you don't have an "in video" subscribe / watermark button. This got me a bit annoyed when I first saw your video. I looked around for the watermark first but didn't want to leave the full screen and then just left without subscribing. I did come back and subscribe after reading the thread though :), but the fact is that the in video subscribe lets people subscribe right then while staying engaged to the video. YouTube calls this the video watermark ( you can find it in channel -> settings -> watermark ), and its enabled for all your videos. You can also move your "james jani" logo from bottom left to become the watermark (bottom right) and when people hover over it, it will bring up the subscribe button. You should still keep the subscribe + "bell" icon call out at the end to remind them and have them notified ( I didn't know the bell was a thing till I saw your video :p ).

It's INSANE looking at your socialblade , May 6 2020 - 643 subscribers, June 6 2020 - 159,000! I experienced this myself on Instagram at a smaller scale (1k -> 30k in 2 months) so I know how exhilarating the feeling is :)! Kudos once again!

P.S - Looking forward to your course! PLZ TAKE MY MONEY :D

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh man, this was so inspiring and surreal. I had this thread bookmarked after MJ shared it on his instagram story a few days back, and then today I saw your "kevin systrom" video in the suggested videos of MJ's latest "excellence" video. I was wondering who this "james jani" is and why I haven't heard of him before (first thought was some fake guru lol). Anyway, I clicked on it and thought the video was pretty cool. Then I started reading the bookmarked thread later in the day and the first video here was of you, from jan 2020, with around 100 subs!! {Mouth -> Floor haha)

Super impressive and well done! Went back and saw most of them. Your videos are great, love the cinematic editing, content and your voice. Combine that with the effort you are putting in, it's perfect combo for viral success! And thanks for sharing your journey and all the tips. I'm curious where you get the music and stock footage for your videos from (other than the film clips). Is there some kind of subscription website you use ?

I recently started a YouTube channel as well where I do coding tutorials, the first video was the most nerve wracking to put out so I can totally relate to you (took me 5 weeks and I re-shot it many times!), but it was well received and since then I've been doing 1 a week (currently on #3). I'm on ~150 subs in 3 weeks and am going to apply all the techniques from the start of your thread and optimize CTR and watch time. It just started as a side gig for me as a way for me to practice improving my speaking skills and drive traffic to a future course, but I can see the potential now and it growing into another revenue stream so I'm going to focus on quality more from now as well.

I do have a quick suggestion for you - in all your videos you are calling out people to subscribe and display an animated "subscribe" icon in the bottom center of the screen, but you don't have an "in video" subscribe / watermark button. This got me a bit annoyed when I first saw your video. I looked around for the watermark first but didn't want to leave the full screen and then just left without subscribing. I did come back and subscribe after reading the thread though :), but the fact is that the in video subscribe lets people subscribe right then while staying engaged to the video. YouTube calls this the video watermark ( you can find it in channel -> settings -> watermark ), and its enabled for all your videos. You can also move your "james jani" logo from bottom left to become the watermark (bottom right) and when people hover over it, it will bring up the subscribe button. You should still keep the subscribe + "bell" icon call out at the end to remind them and have them notified ( I didn't know the bell was a thing till I saw your video :p ).

It's INSANE looking at your socialblade , May 6 2020 - 643 subscribers, June 6 2020 - 159,000! I experienced this myself on Instagram at a smaller scale (1k -> 30k in 2 months) so I know how exhilarating the feeling is :)! Kudos once again!

P.S - Looking forward to your course! PLZ TAKE MY MONEY :D
Yes, put a wee subscribe watermark on the videos. I had to create one and have linked to it here:
> EXECUTION - Figuring out YouTube

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,022%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
They have official ones on the YouTube website also (minus the text). I took this and mixed it with my initials to give a personal touch, similar to how MJ has his.

Just changed it now.

Not too sure what to think about it, but let me know your thoughts!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just changed it now.

Looks nice and discrete. It's there if people go looking for it.

backslash

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 3, 2018
Norway
The quality and content of your videos, especially The toxic world of self help, is amazing. Congrats!
Your "third eye" comment hit me right in the face, I have two books about that damn thing :)

Your mentioning of actual good books in the end is also a very nice addition of value. I like to filter out books referred by people who have proven that they know what they are talking about, so "The power of now" is added to my list!

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
Just changed it now.

Yeah, I like it. It's discreet like Andy said. I had some trouble deciding what to do here in my case as well. Two options are either your own logo / name, or the subscribe icon or word.

With the subscribe icon / word, viewers are constantly reminded to subscribe and if they run into a part of the video they like, they might just hit it there, vs the logo or initials / name look more professional and give it the cable tv channel look but not everyone might know its a subscribe button (although I would assume people on YouTube are now used to it) and would probably hit it when your call out appears.

In your case you already have your name in the bottom left, so this does work well, but I would personally come up with an image / logo since you have a documentary / cinematic look to your videos and the subscribe word always being there might not fit the aesthetic, but it's up to your taste and you could experiment with different options maybe. I think either works tbh.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Here is some context into how impressive this progress is...
(and a sneak into where this could lead to)

This Youtuber went on to have massive success and become very well known. In this video he is talking about his first crazy growth stage - 50k subs in 2 months. It is totally nuts that @Valier has done like double that with no signs of slowing down.

I think @Valier is on a very similar trajectory to millon(s) subs and it is really cool to see that on top of that he has his very own unique style/approach that is clearly very well liked.

Exciting thread for sure!

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
I think @Valier is on a very similar trajectory to millon(s) subs and it is really cool to see that on top of that he has his very own unique style/approach that is clearly very well liked.

Exciting thread for sure!

Agreed, This and the fact that this is a front row seat of a productocracy in action. So far, Valier has mentioned MJ's books in 3 videos which at the moment have around 1.5 million views total. This will probably reach to around 10m+ once he reaches a few mil subscribers with $0 marketing on MJ's part. I can see this cycle being repeated with Valiers channel and fans as well. Shows how important it is to have an *EXCELLENT* product which provides massive value and stands out from the crowd.

AdamB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Aug 1, 2019
Scotland
Agreed, This and the fact that this is a front row seat of a productocracy in action. So far, Valier has mentioned MJ's books in 3 videos which at the moment have around 1.5 million views total. This will probably reach to around 10m+ once he reaches a few mil subscribers with $0 marketing on MJ's part. I can see this cycle being repeated with Valiers channel and fans as well. Shows how important it is to have an *EXCELLENT* product which provides massive value and stands out from the crowd.

I'm seeing so many new users state on their first post that they are here because they heard about the forum in a video that they saw on Youtube.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.