The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't say enough good things about owning a Chromebook - one of the best tools to work online

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
As far as business tools go, I think a Chromebook is a valuable asset for anyone working online, whether that's web design, copywriting, etc.

I initially bought a Chromebook so that I could have a distraction free computer that was purely meant for work. And it worked wonders. Chromebooks can't download actual software like games, only apps available on the Web Store. Which in itself is really the only downside to these computers. I wouldn't recommend only having a Chromebook (although for me its my only computer device after scrapping my laptop a few years ago) since at some point you might need a regular computer to download software. A Chromebook is limited to the apps available on its web store, so for example I can download a photo editor but its not going to be the same caliber as Gimp and nowhere near photoshop, but it can do the basics like crop or remove a background if need be. It functions in the browser itself.

Price: You're looking at $600 for a Certified Refurbished Macbook on Amazon. Or $1000+ for a new model. For a Windows Laptop, you're usually looking at $350+ for bare minimum specs, probably $500 for something decent. A decent Chromebook clocks in at around $250.

Security: Really nothing to worry about. You can't download and install anything outside of browser extensions or apps on the web store. Never have to worry about the latest virus somehow finding its way on your computer and locking you out for a ransom, or having passwords stolen or anything like that. Just avoid installing shady extensions or apps from the web store which is pretty self-explanatory.

Speed: My $240 Chromebook which is a few years old works faster than the i5 laptop I had from HP. And that thing cost maybe $500. Chromebooks do the simple things and do them very well - Gmail, browsing, Google docs/sheets/slides, etc.

Battery: The battery just lasts forever. I'm on 78% and it says I have 6 hours and 56 minutes remaining. And when it runs out, it will recharge super fast. Really convenient for taking it on the go.

My dad recently brought me the laptop of one of his customers, asking me to fix it for her. Older lady, said it was alright if I wiped it completely clean just to make it work again. I checked it out and it was the typical case, thing was just loaded up with malware-esque stuff like alternate browsers, tons of software that ran on startup just slowing it down and almost making it unusable. My guess is she just clicked pop ups and downloaded stuff when it came up. A Chromebook would be perfect for someone like her as well, people that are less computer literate and only need it for browsing and checking emails. She would never find herself in that situation again.

Since it was such a cheap investment, I feel fine heading into the restroom of the coffee shop while leaving it unattended. I just lock it real quick so I have nothing to worry about.

Kill the distractions, put your mind at ease, and keep it simple. Buy a Chromebook. (how's this for some copy? ha). Anyways I'm not here to hawk Chromebooks or anything but I do think in the vast world of today's tech, they go under the radar for more fancy and expensive stuff, and when it comes to just getting work done, they are very useful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
As far as business tools go, I think a Chromebook is a valuable asset for anyone working online, whether that's web design, copywriting, etc.

I initially bought a Chromebook so that I could have a distraction free computer that was purely meant for work. And it worked wonders. Chromebooks can't download actual software like games, only apps available on the Web Store. Which in itself is really the only downside to these computers. I wouldn't recommend only having a Chromebook (although for me its my only computer device after scrapping my laptop a few years ago) since at some point you might need a regular computer to download software. A Chromebook is limited to the apps available on its web store, so for example I can download a photo editor but its not going to be the same caliber as Gimp and nowhere near photoshop, but it can do the basics like crop or remove a background if need be. It functions in the browser itself.

Price: You're looking at $600 for a Certified Refurbished Macbook on Amazon. Or $1000+ for a new model. For a Windows Laptop, you're usually looking at $350+ for bare minimum specs, probably $500 for something decent. A decent Chromebook clocks in at around $250.

Security: Really nothing to worry about. You can't download and install anything outside of browser extensions or apps on the web store. Never have to worry about the latest virus somehow finding its way on your computer and locking you out for a ransom, or having passwords stolen or anything like that. Just avoid installing shady extensions or apps from the web store which is pretty self-explanatory.

Speed: My $240 Chromebook which is a few years old works faster than the i5 laptop I had from HP. And that thing cost maybe $500. Chromebooks do the simple things and do them very well - Gmail, browsing, Google docs/sheets/slides, etc.

Battery: The battery just lasts forever. I'm on 78% and it says I have 6 hours and 56 minutes remaining. And when it runs out, it will recharge super fast. Really convenient for taking it on the go.

My dad recently brought me the laptop of one of his customers, asking me to fix it for her. Older lady, said it was alright if I wiped it completely clean just to make it work again. I checked it out and it was the typical case, thing was just loaded up with malware-esque stuff like alternate browsers, tons of software that ran on startup just slowing it down and almost making it unusable. My guess is she just clicked pop ups and downloaded stuff when it came up. A Chromebook would be perfect for someone like her as well, people that are less computer literate and only need it for browsing and checking emails. She would never find herself in that situation again.

Since it was such a cheap investment, I feel fine heading into the restroom of the coffee shop while leaving it unattended. I just lock it real quick so I have nothing to worry about.

Kill the distractions, put your mind at ease, and keep it simple. Buy a Chromebook. (how's this for some copy? ha). Anyways I'm not here to hawk Chromebooks or anything but I do think in the vast world of today's tech, they go under the radar for more fancy and expensive stuff, and when it comes to just getting work done, they are very useful.

You work for Google or something?

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
You work for Google or something?

I was implanted here many years ago as a spy by Larry Page himself. During this time I read the book merely to build credibility with the community and build a connection. I wrote many posts aligning with fastlane ideology so that I would blend in with the community. Then, Larry Page personally paid for my flight out to the summit a few years ago so that my forum credibility would be boosted with the newly created "Summit Attendee" badge. It was only then, that the beginning stages of our plan began to work itself out. I made many more posts in order to further establish myself, but not too many as to stick out like a sore thumb. I must come clean. Everything was done in order to finally make this post: hawking Google's budget computers in order to ultimately boost their bottom line. And now you have exposed me. Forgive me.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
But doesn't google claim ownership or use rights over everything stored on their platform?

NanoDrake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 25, 2018
Malta
I was implanted here many years ago as a spy by Larry Page himself. During this time I read the book merely to build credibility with the community and build a connection. I wrote many posts aligning with fastlane ideology so that I would blend in with the community. Then, Larry Page personally paid for my flight out to the summit a few years ago so that my forum credibility would be boosted with the newly created "Summit Attendee" badge. It was only then, that the beginning stages of our plan began to work itself out. I made many more posts in order to further establish myself, but not too many as to stick out like a sore thumb. I must come clean. Everything was done in order to finally make this post: hawking Google's budget computers in order to ultimately boost their bottom line. And now you have exposed me. Forgive me.

I KNEW IT!!! NOW SPIT OVER THE PLANS FOR THE MK ULTRAHHHHHHH!!!!111!!1!one

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
But doesn't google claim ownership or use rights over everything stored on their platform?

“Google Drive Terms of Service” said:
Your Content. Google Drive allows you to upload, submit, store, send and receive content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through Google Drive, you give Google a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our services unless you delete your content. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to Google Drive.

Sharing settings in Google Drive allow you to control what others can do with your content in Google Drive. By default you are set up as the controller of all content you create or upload to Google Drive. You can share your content and can transfer control of your content to other users.

Google Drive Terms of Service - Google Drive Help

I may be wrong, but I believe the above only applies to content you choose to share. Content that you mark as private stays private.

I don’t use their platform so somebody more knowledgeable may chime in.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
A Chromebook would be perfect for someone like her as well, people that are less computer literate and only need it for browsing and checking emails. She would never find herself in that situation again.

Although not really someone like her, I do not need an all singing all dancing machine, so thanks for the heads up regarding a Chromebook, I'm now considering one for my next replacement.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I suppose what works for me may not apply in all situations, sorry for not having the foresight when I was writing this.

That's like telling people the best way to get to work is by walking, because you live 5 minutes from your office.

sorry for not having the foresight when I was writing this.

I forgive you

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I only use my chromebook for web surfing and light email use. I need my desktop to do any actual 'real work'. I used it at the summit to take notes with but besides light typing on it and browsing I actually think it's kind of useless :(

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
That's like telling people the best way to get to work is by walking, because you live 5 minutes from your office.

Chromebooks are great tool to do work online with. You took it out of context to make it look like I was saying it was one of the best tools to do web design with.

For most people doing web design, it is perfectly capable of performing what's necessary, whether you use a cloud based development system like Cloud9 or you just build on Wordpress. A regular computer will be able to accomplish more like FTP and photoshop, but those are included among the limitations I mentioned in my original post.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
You took it out of context to make it look like I was saying it was one of the best tools to do web design with.

Headline:

Dark Water said:
Can't say enough good things about owning a Chromebook - one of the best tools to work online

Opening sentence:

Dark Water said:

Your honor. I rest my case.

Trolling aside.

This is just bad advice that could hurt someone.

Anyone who is seriously considering getting into web design or dev will buy this thinking they can start cheap and skim $200-300.

"Because good windows or mac laptops are prohibitively expensive."

Going with a Chromebook will save you at most $100-150, with all of the drawbacks of limiting access to high productivity tools. Nevermind most of them are based on 11 inch screens, with a few exceptions.

You can a decent Windows machine, with a 15 inch screen around $300 with built in graphics to actually support image editing.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Your honor. I rest my case.

Trolling aside.

This is just bad advice that could hurt someone.

Anyone who is seriously considering getting into web design or dev will buy this thinking they can start cheap and skim $200-300.

"Because good windows or mac laptops are prohibitively expensive."

Going with a Chromebook will save you at most $100-150, with all of the drawbacks of limiting access to high productivity tools. Nevermind most of them are based on 11 inch screens, with a few exceptions.

You can a decent Windows machine, with a 15 inch screen around $300 with built in graphics to actually support image editing.

Its not about skimming money. You can buy a 15 inch Windows laptop for $300 with built in graphics if you want to skim money - I mean, the thing that you were talking about. That's skimming money because its going to run slow as hell and only be able to do one thing at a time. Most on Amazon at that price are refurbished or have other downsides. Good luck trying to run editing software on that. A Chromebook will probably save $400+ compared to an i5 and $1000+ when compared to most apple products. Of course, if someone has special software needs then they are going to have to get those regardless. But that's not what this is about.

My Chromebook has a 14.5" screen. This is not really the exception, especially considering I only spent $250 on it. If you are going to buy a $100 Chromebook, sure it will probably have an 11" screen. I also have programs to edit images on it, which has been sufficient for all of my clients I've done web design for. Its definitely no photoshop though.

Regarding the title and the header... I think most here can decipher the difference. I'll reiterate for you though; its one of the best tools to work online with in general, and it can also be a valuable asset for web design, copywriting, spreadsheet work, any cloud based work, etc. No need for the court room-esque break down and analysis of it... "your honor".

I'm not saying these things are godsends, but rather they are sufficient in accomplishing most online work. They are minimalistic, secure, cheap, and functional. That's what draws me in.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Great value here. Thanks for the information!

I have heard some of them can install android apps... Do any of you have any experience with that?

On another note... I have found my ipad to be tremendously good at work these days...

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Its not about skimming money. You can buy a 15 inch Windows laptop for $300 with built in graphics if you want to skim money - I mean, the thing that you were talking about. That's skimming money because its going to run slow as hell and only be able to do one thing at a time. Most on Amazon at that price are refurbished or have other downsides. Good luck trying to run editing software on that. A Chromebook will probably save $400+ compared to an i5 and $1000+ when compared to most apple products. Of course, if someone has special software needs then they are going to have to get those regardless. But that's not what this is about.
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
My Chromebook has a 14.5". This is not really the exception, especially considering I only spent $250 on it. If you are going to buy a $100 Chromebook, sure it will probably have an 11" screen. I also have programs to edit images on it, which has been sufficient for all of my clients I've done web design for. Its definitely no photoshop though.

Regarding the title and the header... I think most here can decipher the difference. I'll reiterate for you though; its one of the best tools to work online with in general, and it can also be a valuable asset for web design, copywriting, spreadsheet work, any cloud based work, etc.

You're missing the point.

The chromebook is not the best web dev tool. In fact the only thing worse than a chromebook for design is a smartphone.

My problem with your original post is that you're hailing it as one of the best solutions. And then you go into a rhapsody of how easy it is to check email and that by telling other people to get one, you save yourself the headache of having to provide IT support to other people.

A bunch of non sequitur talking points and a disservice to anyone new looking to get into web dev.

P.S. I have a chromebook, and love it for travel. Especially the ability to open it up as if it was a fresh install every time. Without people tracking you or getting malicious info through public wifi points. I've done web-dev maintenance on it. But to take it as anything but a toy for web dev is absurd.

I have heard some of them can install android apps... Do any of you have any experience with that?

They're slowly rolling out app support on newer devices. Check the manufacturer if they support it before buying.

If you have an older one, you can opt into the Beta channel to gain access.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As someone that uses a computer for document creation and communication pretty much exclusively... A chromebook has a lot of appeal to me. A laptop, when I already have a pretty nice desktop, is complete overkill.

I have been making an ipad pro work in this role for the last year or so. Im pretty happy with it, but it pisses me off when it still defaults to mobile websites even when you turn them off. The chromebook I had years ago is a full laptop experience within chrome, it's no different. I do precisely zero web/app/coding development.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I really like Chromebooks. I will always have a powerful desktop PC. I prefer to do more in depth work on that in general. But I prefer Chromebooks to Windows laptops easily for on the go. If I only had one computer then that would be a different story.

I will say ChromeOS is much better when you dont get a cheap chromebook. Most of the cheap models come with very weak Celeron chips. My first Acer R11 was like that. Just too slow for me. Got a Samsung Chromebook Pro last week and that thing is pretty close to ideal. But it had a bug so I sent it back. Think ill stick with my Dell 13 for now. Ryzen is coming to chromebooks later in the year, think ill wait to see the new models.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting thread. I didn’t really know what a Chromebook was but I’m seeing them more often in the shops.

I can’t use laptops. Too many years on them means I get tech-neck within 5 minutes now.

The ideal for traveling for me might be an tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. Then I can somehow have the screen at eye-level with the keyboard on a table...

MaxGorlov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 31, 2019

I concur, they're awesome. Pretty happy with mine but HEADS UP, only use for simple tasks like writing, web-surfing, online stuff. It's not a heavy-duty PC. It's a lightweight thing for travel adn basic web-based activities.

That being said, embracing it for what it is and having no expectations beyond that, I'm very happy with this little nifty laptop :)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
So basically, it does the same thing as mine does?

Attachments

• apple-i-computer.jpg
    apple-i-computer.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 6

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content