The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Business For Engineers... brand name?!

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
Yet another idea name thread...

Long time ago I posted a similar idea, this is going to be productized consulting in the shape of business acumen for engineers. I tried in the past a similar thing for a specific sector, which was rapid changing and required too much depth so productizing fell off and turned into plain consulting.

This one is broader and evergreen, every year thousands of engineers enter the workforce with very little business sense. And all managers wish their engineers had some..! In a few years engineers notice that if they are not the best in their technical field.. the only way to advance or diferentiate themselves is through business acumen and/or soft-skills, something they never cared about before.

I already purchased the domain businessforengineers, but I'd like to craft more of a brand name for it. Business for engineers is just the stepping stone, but its more, its about vision, mindset, career growth, intrapreneurship etc.

This will be the DNA of the company:
  • Informal community (not an MBA or academic)
  • Practical for career growth (salary negotiation, personal branding) or horizontal moves (technical marketing, sales engineering)
  • Accessible (under 100$ courses, relatively short and to the point)
  • Can serve as my own personal brand for marketing and business consulting
Names below, none of which I like in particular...! Ideas alongside the essence of the brand aka bringing a new skillset to the engineer's table so that they can quickly make relationships and bridge the gap between business, engineering and become self aware so that they can grow as a professional?

List of names I like around "big picture/helicopter view":
  • executivengineer.com (taken)
  • strategicengineer.com (taken)
  • beyondengineer.com (taken)
  • wellroundedengineer.com (taken)
  • helicopterengineer.com
List of names around a new "job":
  • tshapedengineer.com
  • newcollarengineer.com
List of names around building "soft-skills/connecting dots":
  • interpersonalengineer.com
  • relationalengineer.com
  • conciousengineer.com
More of an informal name;
  • engineeringhustle.com (may give the wrong impression...?)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
First of all, I love the idea!
You surely have a lot of competition, but none of them are so specialized in engineering as you're. Would look that you aren't only focusing on courses than you would have Coursera and edx as really big competitors. But if you build a brand around it as you have planned it could work.

You just have to know what you get yourself into. It's a lot of work and it will take a lot of time. But a great idea!

I'm not good at finding names. But I think if you want to get really big I wouldn't go with engineeringhustle.com or helicopterengineer.com. I would start with your current name. And later on, I'd switch it to a rather neutral name without engineering and maybe not so long. Just my opinion.
I wish you all the best. And if you need any help or advice feel free to pm me.
- Kasimir

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
How about millionaire engineer?
I thought about it but its not about making engineers entrepreneurs but just giving them better tools to drive in their slowlane jobs and maybe inspire them towards fastlane at some point in the journey.
First of all, I love the idea!
You surely have a lot of competition, but none of them are so specialized in engineering as you're. Would look that you aren't only focusing on courses than you would have Coursera and edx as really big competitors. But if you build a brand around it as you have planned it could work.

You just have to know what you get yourself into. It's a lot of work and it will take a lot of time. But a great idea!

I'm not good at finding names. But I think if you want to get really big I wouldn't go with engineeringhustle.com or helicopterengineer.com. I would start with your current name. And later on, I'd switch it to a rather neutral name without engineering and maybe not so long. Just my opinion.
I wish you all the best. And if you need any help or advice feel free to pm me.
- Kasimir
woh thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
I don't see coursera and edx as a competitor I really want the approach to be very personal from REAL world problems, not just "4P of Porter" type of thing. It's a relationship with an engineer that wants to follow exactly the career path I took, I will be talking from experience at the start to build an audience.

Yes, a lot of work, I already validated this over the years doing workshops to some of my friends and colleagues. I will start with a website with many resources unstructured and the course content will be to shape it further. Probably will just upload a video being honest about what I try to do and pre-sell the course to 10-20 beta testers. I guess some fb/youtube/linkedin ads will do. If I dont sell anything... its already a redflag :O

I agree with you on the names, but if I start an instagram account or youtube i'd like to keep it consistent. So better get it first time right! Anyhow, i have plenty of content to produce while thinking about it.
Engineering Service Providings (-:
Too generic! :p and taken already...

Phoenix Leo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Oct 30, 2020
Sweden
BFE

Engineers tend to be geeks, at least in the tech arena.
Doom BFG, SpaceX BFR, MrG BFE

bfecenter.com is available.

Just another brainfart.

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
BFE

Engineers tend to be geeks, at least in the tech arena.
Doom BFG, SpaceX BFR, MrG BFE

bfecenter.com is available.

Just another brainfart.

what does bfe stand for? oh, business for engineers? Got it, yeah something like that could work too, or using my initials. still, would love something like "strategyzer.com" but for engineering

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Engineerists.com --> Available

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MrG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 19, 2015
And if someone doesn't grab it within an hour, I will myself.
a bit of a "tongue twister" for a native spaniard like myself... may not be the best idea! hahah thoughts on the overall business concept coming from the man himself?

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
woh thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
I don't see coursera and edx as a competitor I really want the approach to be very personal from REAL world problems, not just "4P of Porter" type of thing. It's a relationship with an engineer that wants to follow exactly the career path I took, I will be talking from experience at the start to build an audience.

Yes, a lot of work, I already validated this over the years doing workshops to some of my friends and colleagues. I will start with a website with many resources unstructured and the course content will be to shape it further. Probably will just upload a video being honest about what I try to do and pre-sell the course to 10-20 beta testers. I guess some fb/youtube/linkedin ads will do. If I dont sell anything... its already a redflag :O
Yeah, it's important that you have a personal approach. But the problem is that they don't get a degree. So you really need to be known, by everybody. You need to get know as the Cambridge exams are in languages just in engineering.

After you did your first stage and your 10-20 beta tester are satisfied the difficult part will come. You may need some friends and colleagues to help you build everything up. But the best of luck.

a bit of a "tongue twister" for a native spaniard like myself... may not be the best idea! hahah thoughts on the overall business concept coming from the man himself?
I don't see the problem. I think it's quite neutral, which I like and it isn't too long.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.