• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Progress Thread Building a Second Income Before the Second Kid

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Joe Cassandra, Jul 29, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $124,398
    I forgot to mention...

I get automated emails telling me of Stripe or PayPal money coming in from clients on monthly plans. They're great to see.

The ones that come in from sales of the course always surprise me because they average about one a week and are so random. Getting a payment notification for my course always has me looking at my phone wondering who that client is that's just paid, till I realise it's my course.

I've actually forgotten I've got a course, and apart from mailing people who signup for the free trial, I don't do any work on it now.

What makes these payments even more special is that I don't have to do any additional work once paid. The work for the course was already done. The work for the clients still has to be done that month.

I get a little buzz each time an email comes in. I can't imagine what it must be like averaging one a day, and then multiple a day. (Just to put that in context... say I get one $300 sale per sale, then that is an extra $9k per month... and it's pretty damn passive.)

Hmmm... maybe I should also create a progress thread just on this part of my business?

2. Joe Cassandra

Joe Cassandra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Thanks man! This actually could be a great partner to work with. Sending the CEO an email ASAP! If you know of any other good sites like this that are indirectly correlated, feel free to leave them in this thread (may help others interested).

Thanks Andy!

My current funnel:

FREE EMAIL OPTIN --> $7 UPSELL (get buyers asap) --> Push to video series --> Open cart for course (thinking of $997) --> UPSELL $197 copy critique of 5 pieces --> UPSELL to 1-on-1 coaching ($997). ​

At some point will add on more UPSELLS to the $7 product, but that's done the line once this machine gets running. After initial LIVE launch, hook up DEADLINE FUNNEL (product) and let it run evergreen.

I'll simply be plugging in new content to emails/site while the rest runs on auto-pilot. Each email would have a "insert ad" or "CTA" to a product/service.

My goal IS NOT to find "copy clients" from it as the audiences are too dissimilar. I fully expect to keep building my copy business. This (as I mentioned in OP) is to get some passive income so I can take time off from writing.

I know many "info-marketers" want to build businesses around "info" rather than their service. I feel I can do both. This course isn't meant to be a $10 million/year thing. Maybe $250k/year to pay all the bills. Then, my copy business I can pick and choose my clients without "worrying about the bills."
    -------------
    I'd recommend FO SHO getting a lower priced offer in there. $99 if not lower. Much easier to sell your DFY or DIY services if they've already bought. My $7 product took me 3 hours to put together. You could do the same.

Yep, automated income!!! Woop!

Progress thread, baby!

Aaron T, focusedlife and Andy Black like this.
  3. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Things moving along...

I'm backlogged with client work, but I can't seem to put this project to the side. I just want to get to the launch phase and get it done with.

I'm ready to share the site and all its glory with you...

Make a Full-time Living as a Copywriter in Under 10 Months -
    Quit Job to Write-logo.png
    As you'll see, the site doesn't have a zillion pages. Most of the work has been done in the course itself, behind hidden links you won't find on the site.

------------
    THINGS I DID:
    - Hooked all the videos up
    - Got ConvertKit set up, email sequence plugged in
    - I actually did write the sales letter for the product. Decided to pump it out

---------
    THINGS LEFT:
    - Create a few intro videos for the course (will be done in a week or so)
    - BUILD A HOT LIST!

Right now, I'm setting up FB ads and expect to put a good $5k - $10k towards it to build the list.

I'm feeling very lazy and haven't attacked my "organic" growth piece where I reach out to content marketers, rewrite their stuff, then hope they promote it.

FB ads may be the easy way out, but I'm so backlogged with client work, I'm afraid of dumping so much more time into the grunt work.

Maybe I should hire someone to do that part of the marketing for me. They rewrite the article, I simply pitch it to the content marketer. What do you think?

Aaron T, Andy Black and Argue like this.
  4. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $124,398
    Make sales one at a time?

Engage the market in hand-to-hand combat?

Are there people who already know, like, and trust you that this course would help? Sell it to them first?

E.g. I released my course into the forum. I didn't heavily promote it, just got it rolling. Then I sat and watched to see if it would sell.

I could have also emailed people I already knew, but I didn't feel comfortable selling to friends. Instead I gave them a copy if they were interested. And watched to see if they spent their *time* by going through the course.

Sales have trickled in of their own accord, so now I'm going to sell to people who don't know me yet (aka "cold traffic"). Which, as you know, means getting them to know, like, and trust me first. I.e. Replicate what I did in TFLF somehow, via an automated email sequence.

Maybe (just maybe) you're getting to the point of releasing it into the wild and the lizard brain is starting to dig his heels in?

Happy to have a chat sometime Joe. A copywriter and a media buyer is a powerful combo and a potentially interesting chat that other forum members might get value from.

focusedlife likes this.
  5. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Thanks Andy.

I honestly don't think it's the lizard brain. Really just exhaustion at this point as I have a bunch of client projects, while trying to juggle this.

I only started this thread July 29th-30th, so it's only been about 45 days. It's probably just laziness as I get to the finish line :).
    Part of the laziness feeling is I've built this course...now I'm building a list from scratch, which is a whole new project in itself.

Now, I'm just complaining. So, I'm working on FB ads and getting those up (hopefully by tomorrow...they're taking a long time to approve...).

@Andy Black, I'd be happy to set up a chat if you think it'll be helpful. Send me a DM.

----------------------
    JOB OPP:

I need help for a writer out there (blogger is fine even if you're not a copywriter per se).

I need someone to take someone else's posts and rewrite them keeping their same ideas, etc. I want to make it a "new" piece while still keeping the info from the old piece. Then, I will post their content on my site (a la curated content)

Much like when you read MJ's stuff on various sites he's featured on...many of the ideas are the same, just written differently.

PAY: Here's how I'd pay:

FIRST: I'm a writer too, so I never like to be gipped either or write $5 articles. So, I wouldn't do that to you. I honestly think, to rewrite a 500 word post would only take 1-2 hours at most.

-
    $50 for rewrite of post
    - $50 BONUS if the original author says the post is good enough to repost on my site
    POTENTIAL: $100/article

[In perspective: Many freelance articles go for $5 - $25. This isn't even coming up with ideas. Just rewrite well enough.]

**Note. If after the first one, it shows you aren't a good writer, I have no qualms about firing you. So, if you don't think you can produce good writing, don't reach out.

WHAT TO DO IF INTERESTED:
    - Send me a PM with the subject line "INTERESTED"
    - Link 1-2 posts you've written before (even if on your own site)

Grok likes this.
  6. Grok

Grok Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $942
    Joe, just bought your book. Looking forward to starting this afternoon. Thanks!

Andy Black and Joe Cassandra like this.
  7. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    You're helping fill a dream I've always had of passive income.

I write copy and do well...but it's not fastlane. You gave me the first taste of the fastlane, so you've made my week. Thanks :)

focusedlife, Andy Black and Grok like this.
  8. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $124,398
    Woohoo! One in a row!

Great to have a ringside seat as someone gets their first taste of "passive income".

Aaron T and Joe Cassandra like this.
  9. Five Star

Five Star Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $445
    Andy Black and Joe Cassandra like this.
  10. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Up to 6 at the moment :D...

Just to be clear to all readers...this book is $7 and is simply an upsell after someone requests the free report. This IS NOT the course I'm creating, fyi.

The course won't be launched until I reach a certain amount of subscribers.

Thanks a bunch! Definitely agree on their recs about doing 'just enough' for your software. Don't look for perfect. If I did that, I'd still be at the beginning.

I'm also using ConvertKit as they recommended. Enjoy it so far especially the automated sequences. Allows me to focus on other stuff and let it run in the background.

Most email providers have this, but CK is so simple to use after you've played around with it for an hour, it makes sense. Plus, super easy to implement into OptimizePress, as I've done.

-----------
    UPDATE:

Had a couple people interested in my "job opp" for writing influencer posts. Will see how they turn out. This piece is important as they won't be writing "blog posts" in a traditional sense.

They will be lead magnets to get influencers affiliated with my site. As I mentioned above, I've connected with a handful of influencers in the past, so they've chatted with me. About 20-30 of them. If I could get a few of them to share a post, it could bring in a few dozen subscribers, which would work awesome.

Also, got FB ads running right now. Will let them sit for 3-4 days before making any changes, so will update once those are out.

I already screwed them up.

I put the "conversion pixel" on the landing page, not on the page after they opt-in. So, I'm having trouble gauging how many optins I get from FB and from those probably here on the Forum opting-in.

I've been advised not to touch anything in the first few days or it messes up the ads. So I'll have to change it afterwards.

Budget for those is about $250/day.

Andy Black and Grok like this.
  11. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Okay, update time...!

Been running FB ads for 4 days. That's pretty much been the extent of what I've worked on.

I didn't set up the pixel correctly, so I can't provide a screenshot (fixed it so can provide it next time).

I spent around $1,000 in ads. Subscriber count at 269. upload_2017-9-17_8-49-51.png

For the $7 book upsell, I've sold 18 [one guy had to pay through Paypal]. So, net sales of $126.70
    upload_2017-9-17_8-51-5.png

Thus, net cost of ads = $874.
    Cost per new subscriber = $3.25

I'll take that! I expected around $5 per new lead, so this is on the right path for me.

Already got great feedback on the $7 book, so that's a sure sign.
    Unfortunately, it's not converting at near the percent I'd like. Right now, it's around 7%.

I'd ideally like to see 10 - 15% for an upsell. 8% is the standard conversion, but I'd like to see higher.

One thing I did was if they missed the $7 upsell, I pitch the book later for $12 (because it was a one-time offer) and gotten a few sales from that. I'll take it!

Upped the ad budget. The idea is to launch the course around Sept 30th and be at around 1,000 subscribers when I do. Work to do!

Aaron T, Grok, Argue and 1 other person like this.
  12. Invictus

Invictus Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,622
    Just a thought I had, as I don't recall everything about your Upsell page. Not sure how valuable it will be.

Is it a standard option on your site to pay through Paypal? I paid for your book with my card, but when you mentioned that one person paid through Paypal I realized that I don't think I had that option. Since I know and trust you, I didn't mind giving you my info. But, if I had just stumbled upon your site, I may have been more hesistant, especially if there wasn't a Paypal choice. I might start thinking, "Shit, why can't I use Paypal. Is this person trying to steal my card?"

Not exactly the most logical thought process, but many of us are especially hesitant when it comes to payment details online.

-

Also, your book was a damn good purchase. Definitely worth the money! If you need a review or anything, just let me know! :)

Aaron T, Grok and Joe Cassandra like this.
  13. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    This is interesting. I felt Stripe was secure enough but I see what you mean.

I'm going to add a PayPal link tonight and test the conversions. Thanks for bringing that up!

------

You're awesome for buying the book. If you want to leave a review here or send me a PM, I'd be in your debt :)

Grok likes this.
  14. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Update time!

So, for now I've been ramping up FB ads and it's been going great to bring leads into the funnel. For now, I've put my "content strategy' on the backburner right now (the opp. mentioned on Sep 12th)

I've put it aside for now because I'm looking to launch this course next week, so need all my focus there rather than organic building.

Here's my list right now:
    upload_2017-9-21_9-17-58.png

Since September 12th, I've spent $2,942 on FB ads. However, some of that is mitigated by my $7 book sales. Thanks to @Invictus advice, I added a Paypal button. Now, it seems everyone is only paying through Paypal!!

Yesterday, I doubled my normal sales of the book! And today, I woke up to 7 new sales after only 55 opt-ins...that's a freakin' 12.7% conversion on a cold funnel which is above average...

Problem is: I'm having trouble implementing Paypal into my site. For awhile yesterday, I had to manually send the books to people as the site kept breaking when they ordered! I found a work around for the moment, but for the course launch, I might not be able to pull that off!

-----------------
    Here's the metrics so far:

This is where it gets exciting:

upload_2017-9-21_9-22-3.png

Notice how the CPC dropped a ton. I can only correlate adding Paypal as the reason for the spike in sales yesterday (hat tip again to Invictus)...then look at the cost per lead on the right....

Look how fast it's dropping!!!Cost per lead is calculated by: [ADSPEND - SALES (from book)] / LEADS].

How did that happen?

Optimizing like mad my FB ads. I'll probably share a whole post on my FB ads method another time. [To be honest...1 ad is stomping every other ad I wrote by 100X...I'll share it in the future]

-----------------------------
    NEXT UP: ...Worries...

So, I was reading a post by Ramit Sethi yesterday. He talked about spending $2 MILLION on Fb ads (here: it's actually a sales letter but in the middle he talks about it) and it resulted in tens of thousands in subscribers but only 2 sales. I don't know how much he's stretching the truth to make his point so I'm not sure.

So, obviously I'm worried all these subscribers will result in 0 sales. As you can see, I'm getting entry level buyers, which should increase the chances of backend sales. Who knows....we will know in 2 weeks!
    ---------
    On the work-side...it's simply pumping out more ads and then finishing writing the sales emails. Then, cart open!

Stay tuned!

15. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $87
    Great to see it working out for you, Joe.

It's interesting that he didn't mention here what these ads were for. The other night on the webinar for this program, he told this same story, but it was in the context of running contests and giveaways to attract new subscribers. He did make a few comments about how PPC doesn't scale very well, so maybe he's sour on all of it.

It will be interesting to see what kind of conversions you get, either way.

Joe Cassandra likes this.
  16. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Yeah, I don't know. I'm a copywriter, so everything in a sales presentations usually isn't the whole story (admittedly...).

I'm betting he spent $2M over his "years" of testing FB ads [from Ramit: "We spent years testing and optimizing our Facebook ads."] But, if most of the time they were getting 1% CTR and 3% opt-in...it really comes down to "Who the $&%* was running his campaigns?" not that FB ads don't work.

I'm fairly a FB ads newbie...I took one training on it...and I'm getting up to 51% opt-ins to my LP. Then a 5-9% conversion on the tripwire. If my conversion on a tripwire is better than your optin to get something free...you need to sue whoever you hired.

-----------
    Who knows? So far, I've gotten great feedback on the free book and $7 book. Only negative talk has been on the FB ads ("this is a scam" or my personal favorite..."wow, you added a hyphen between 'well-paying', yeah, we're expected to believe you're a writer? Scam") , I am a writer and still make grammar mistakes and spelling mistakes...*gasp*

So I'm excited to see if this is a home run or a bunt :)

Aaron T likes this.
  17. JustKris

JustKris Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,346
    Great progress! You've definitely inspired me to dive into the FB funnel. $1.17 per lead is great. Even a 1% conversion would still put you at, what, 800% ROI? Awesome, man.

Are you using anything like Ad Espresso to optimize your ads?

Aaron T likes this.
  18. Joe Cassandra

Rep Bank:
    $6,966
    Thanks! I use Qwaya to hit more ad sets in a faster timeframe. Because each ad set takes 3-4 ads, multiplied by 25 ad sets and you got a lot of grudge work.

Qwaya offers a 14-day free trial. So, I just jumped in there when i was about to start, rip off the ads, and see how the first launch goes without paying them a dime. If the course sells great, Qwaya's worth the investment, if not (meaning the leads generated from FB are mush) then no sweat.

Aaron T and JustKris like this.