The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

From Academia to Fastlania: Second Act in my Life

Second Act

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 7, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Growing up in Brisbane, Australia, I always wanted to be a scientist. Well, that's not quite true, but it's the story I've told myself for years now. I loved learning things, loved doing experiments and despite hating the idea of 'fame' I thought it would be cool if my name was in one of those textbooks we would use at school. Buuut, I was also fascinated with money, business, entrepreneurship (didn't know it was called that back then), compound interest, the stock market and computers. I also knew I didn't want to be like everyone else - I wanted my life to be extraordinary. I'm sure that's not uncommon here!

The great thing is, I got to do much of that. I excelled at university. I took a broad range of science subjects and intro programming. I tossed my mind between being a computer programmer or a research scientist. In the end, I fell in love with organic chemistry. I also reasoned that I "didn't want to be stuck in front of a computer all day" and I enjoyed the hands-on experimental side of organic chemistry. As an aside, ironically, as the years passed I eventually ended up being "stuck in front of a computer" anyway!

I lived my dream. I applied to do a PhD at Cambridge in the UK and got in! To be honest, I was just as interested in the new opportunities to chase girls as the prestige of a big name degree. I loved most of it. It was hard work, but I loved taking on big challenges, expanding my horizons and the thrill of occasionally discovering something unexpected.

I came back to Australia and eventually got a tenure-track position at a great uni. Settled down with a girlfriend, paid of my student debt and earning good money. The early years in academia were exactly what I wished for. I really didn't pay attention to money or my childhood entrepreneurial ambitions - the saying I kept in mind was "if you love what you do, you never have to work a day in your life". But things started to erode... As my research group grew, I had to be more strategic, more of a manager. Plus, it's totally true that the reward for success is more work! Working nights and weekends on lectures and grant proposals was killing me.

Then, hooray! I was head-hunted for an academic role back in Brisbane with much less teaching load (for a period of time). We packed our bags and headed back to our home town. Things were great again. It was all about research and I re-claimed my nights and weekends. Things were good again. Bought a house, got a mortgage. New car.

Then, a baby. Whoa, that changed things. I guess I should have seen the writing on the wall, but once a kid is in your life, you start noticing so much more if your relationship with your wife isn't so great. I started resenting my work - it was keeping me away from being with my kid. Obscenely, at work, I was getting into negative habits. I would waste time on un-related hobby interests. I started playing the stock market. I learned to code and designed trading systems, thinking that if I could trade myself to a fortune, I could escape from a job that was already starting to feel more like a noose. And I hadn't even gone back to a regular teaching load...

Child #2. OK, now things were even worse at home. Helicopter vs free'n'easy. So much conflict. Teaching workload started to climb. Research group shrinking. Funding drying up.

To cut a long story slightly shorter, divorce happened a few years ago, but was way overdue. Best decision I ever made. The sense of freedom was amazing. And then, well before anyone else would think is reasonable, I met an amazing woman with whom everything is so easy and so 'right' it makes me see how a real, functional relationship can work!

I throw myself back into my work, re-engage and rise to the challenge of bigger and bigger teaching loads by trying to innovate and be the best teacher I can possibly be. I take courses in web programming and a bunch of other things on Udemy and embrace technology in my teaching. I'm amazed at the new face of learning - a $10 course can give you all you need to be competent at a real skill. Unfortunately, it's too late to get my research career back on track - once you've fallen off the funding boat, it's so hard to get back on, and the headwinds at my university for attracting research students are just too strong.

My enthusiasm starts to decline as the teaching continues to pile up. Well, it's not really the teaching, it's the admin associated with it. "Cost cutting" leaves the profs to do dirty work that anyone could do. I spent more time shuffling student names on excel spreadsheets than actually teaching. And then, a restructure. My mind had been heading this way already. They offer voluntary redundancies. I enquire, express interest and then accept. My payout, after taxes, is roughly equal to ~ 2 years living expenses. If I adapt my lifestyle and/or find additional income, I could stretch it for much longer.

When I accepted the redundancy, I was a little nervous, but every time I talked to someone about it, there was genuine shock - they didn't expect I would be one of those to go. Every time a colleague, peer or supervisor says I'll be missed and I can see it's genuine, I feel more confident. When I first decided to leave, my mindset was framed by scarcity. How long can I make the money last? What is the minimum I would need to live if I pursue becoming an entrepreneur? How long do I give that approach before I would give it in and get a 'normal' job again.

Slowly, though, I've been realising - there's no reason for me to have that scarcity mindset. Unscripted and Fastlane have been such a great boost to my mindset. F*ck you, I'm not going to aim to survive. I'm going to thrive. I'm getting into the Fastlane. I don't need to follow the scripts. Instead of limiting myself to what I have been, I'm opening my mind up to all the possible opportunities, and I know I have the skills and dedication to succeed. I really feel like this is the second act of my working life and the possibilities are exciting.

The first scene of this second act of my life, I am producing online content for organic chemistry students. There's a big need and large market. One particular niche that I am targeting is North American pre-med students. They normally need to pass two semesters of organic chemistry to go to med school. There is a high failure rate - indeed, organic chemistry is often called the "weed out" course. Often the Professors teaching these courses are useless, and students are desperate to get external help to pass the course. I have a website - Organic Chemistry Explained and a YouTube channel. I aim to soon make an online course about one particular sub-topic that is often the most difficult for students to pass. My key differentiator is that I will have lots of interactive 'stuff' - 3D molecules that can be manipulated, web-based practice questions, etc. I also have an augmented reality (AR) app - MoleculAR that I will tie in with this. I also have a prototype Virtual Reality (VR) app for HTC Vive to work out a good strategy for.

Beyond that and more courses, I see great potential for AR and VR in teaching and learning. At the start of next month, I'm taking a course in this area. My plan is to apply that to make some AR/VR courses or content for chemistry, then use the skills I develop to create a course about making AR/VR content - aimed at people with no coding experience.

Technically, I have two further weeks with my employer, so I still don't have 100% of my time available to pursue my new goals, but I'm looking forward to it.

Would love to hear any comments and feedback and I'm looking forward to absorbing much more from this forum in the months and years to come!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
NewVictoriousBorderterrier-small.gif

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I started resenting my work - it was keeping me away from being with my kid.

Same thing happened here. Kids were a powerful motivator to leave my teacher career track as fast as possible.

I think you're onto something good with the courses. Such a high barrier to entry, when you have to leverage 20 years of experience in the subject to be able to create the content. It sounds like you've found your niche!

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...