The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Before you made your first $1 online, did you ever felt like giving up?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
I think we need to help guys who are just starting an online business stay strong on their feet and work consistently.
Before I made my first $1 online, I passed through hardship that at some points I shot my Laptop in depression for a break to ease off the negativity. So many things went on before I started marking money online and so does most of us.
Share your experience and success story of how you started making money online on this thread so newbies can grab multivation to keep working and never quit.

Thanks in addy for your contribution:peace:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Ofcourse felt like giving up, many times!

Eventually you find something that works though and then you build on that. Keep listening to Millionaire fastlane and unscripted , I really believe its a true way to wealth. Before I started going all out and applying MJ's concepts, I never had many successes. Now I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
still, haven't made a single coin.
This thread is for you, hang on there and never be discouraged. Read other people's success stories when ever you are down and Seek for advise from professionals too.
You will soon make a fortune online bro.

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
Ofcourse felt like giving up, many times!

Eventually you find something that works though and then you build on that. Keep listening to Millionaire fastlane and unscripted , I really believe its a true way to wealth. Before I started going all out and applying MJ's concepts, I never had many successes. Now I see light at the end of the tunnel.
You said it all well.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
For some strange reason I thought that if I would start something entrepreneurial, there would be no going back and I would either succeed or die.... basically.... even though I was doing my Master's Law degree and I could always fall back on it. So I never felt like giving up. I was also very optimistic that I would succeed.

Sometimes I don't understand why my mind makes everything so difficult ;)

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
For some strange reason I thought that if I would start something entrepreneurial, there would be no going back and I would either succeed or die.... basically.... even though I was doing my Master's Law degree and I could always fall back on it. So I never felt like giving up. I was also very optimistic that I would succeed.

Sometimes I don't understand why my mind makes everything so difficult ;)
:) Hey man! Your plan is fine. The mind will always make ambitions difficult because he is looking at what others who started earlier have already achieved, but the truth is they started just like you but before you.
Invest the same time they did and you will make even more than they did.
Good luck!

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
But why?

$1 made offline = $1 made online.
Not so!
$1 made offline = $100 made online.
So why?
For a single peny you make offline, you sure worked for it.
While making money online is passive, once you build up your email list it gets really easier and passive to earn :smile2:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Not so!
So why?
While making money online is passive, once you build up your email list it gets really easier and passive to earn :smile2:

I make a lot of dollars online and offline, they both require alot of work, management, energy, maintenance. The only good part is as you grow you have management that can alleviate the tedious work. But its all work.

A dollar is a dollar.

How you feel about how you earn those dollars is the difference.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The reason I'm asking these questions:

A lot of us when we start go on the internet seeking answer to how we can make money. Since we're on the internet, the best articles we find are ranked high by SEO guru's that have a natural proclivity towards internet businesses. So the articles we find are: Make money on Amazon, make money as a freelancer, make money selling online services, etc.

That mentality is a good way to get started, but it limits your earning potential by giving you tunnel vision.

I passed through hardship that at some points I shot my Laptop in depression for a break to ease off the negativity.

Sometimes that tunnel vision leads to unnecessary stress.

There's a good number of millionaires I know offline that have @yahoo.com email addresses. They don't know squat about the internet, but they have drive and make big money by doing something different. For a lot of us, an offline business would be easier than an online business.

Then, the people that make money "online" - don't really do it all online.

The top e-commerce guys I know from here don't make money from Amazon. Some of them aren't even on Amazon. They have a website where you can buy their product, and consider themselves an "ecommerce" company, but in reality they're not. Most of their sales are driven through offline means. Wholesale deals. Distributors. TV ads. Direct mail ads. Cold calling. Yet, because they started with a website, they consider it "online".

My point: It's not about just making it online. It's about making that $1 period. Focusing on "online" limits you for no reason.

Not so!
So why?

Also this mentality is a bit flawed. Yeah, there's online systems that work, but that doesn't mean that offline doesn't work.

Take for example someone that has a McDonald's franchise. They have a set territory. They earn $1MM per year. Have a store manager that manages everything for them. They just check in and collect money.

Is that money worse than "online passive income from an email list"?

Or someone that has an automated car wash and a manager that reorders supplies as needed. Is that worse as well?

Or an import business that has 100 distributors? They have exclusivity from the factory and ship direct to the distributors. Never see the product. Is that worse?

What about a patent for a product that's then licensed out to an industry giant? How bad is that?

Now take the billionaires from your country. Tell me which one of them made it "online".

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria

A lot of us when we start go on the internet seeking answer to how we can make money. Since we're on the internet, the best articles we find are ranked high by SEO guru's that have a natural proclivity towards internet businesses. So the articles we find are: Make money on Amazon, make money as a freelancer, make money selling online services, etc.

That mentality is a good way to get started, but it limits your earning potential by giving you tunnel vision.

There's a good number of millionaires I know offline that have @yahoo.com email addresses. They don't know squat about the internet, but they have drive and make big money by doing something different. For a lot of us, an offline business would be easier than an online business.

The top e-commerce guys I know from here don't make money from Amazon. Some of them aren't even on Amazon. They have a website where you can buy their product, and consider themselves an "ecommerce" company, but in reality they're not. Most of their sales are driven through offline means. Wholesale deals. Distributors. TV ads. Direct mail ads. Cold calling. Yet, because they started with a website, they consider it "online".

My point: It's not about just making it online. It's about making that $1 period. Focusing on "online" limits you for no reason.

Also this mentality is a bit flawed. Yeah, there's online systems that work, but that doesn't mean that offline doesn't work.

Take for example someone that has a McDonald's franchise. They have a set territory. They earn $1MM per year. Have a store manager that manages everything for them. They just check in and collect money.

Or someone that has an automated car wash and a manager that reorders supplies as needed. Is that worse as well?

Or an import business that has 100 distributors? They have exclusivity from the factory and ship direct to the distributors. Never see the product. Is that worse?

What about a patent for a product that's then licensed out to an industry giant? How bad is that?

View attachment 26649

Now take the billionaires from your country. Tell me which one of them made it "online".
Hey nice energy dear, I love this because it's getting very interesting.
Don't get me wrongly, I'm not really stroking offline businesses to be a bad way for making money.
Yes to stand out with online business you need a bit of offline marketing and promotions like TV shows, Event sponsoring, etcetera, but these are only to target those audience which thinks that buying products/services is a bunch of unreal thing. You know that an online business is one which delivers it's products/services right online.

For the continuity of this interesting topic, I say today that an online business can boldly become a success without any kind of offline marketing while an offline business that is operating without an online form of advert will not experience brand awareness explosion.
Although both work hand in hand to get the desired outcome.

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States

View attachment 26649

Enjoyed your response and have found it to be 100% true. The moment I took off the "online money" blinders...good opportunities and ideas I never would have thought twice about started to show up.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Yes, of course I felt like giving up. It took me almost a year before I earned my first dollar online because I chased my tail for that year taking lots of 'action' and getting no feedback.

Online income is no better than any other income. The Internet is a system of communication that facilitates distribution and dissemination of content.

In short, the Internet is just a tool. It's not magic.

I've spent, and earned, millions of dollars online on behalf of dozens of clients and I'll let you in on another secret.

Once you make a single sale, you'll realize it was you that has made it hard the whole time.

You complicated it yourself. You gave yourself too many options to choose from. You put in added steps that didn't need to be there. You made up conditions that were required, that simply weren't necessary at all.

Here's some examples.

1) I need to learn HTML/CSS. No you don't. Shopify requires none of that ability. Neither does Clickfunnels. There are Wordpress themes like Elementor that require little to no coding knowledge.

2) I need to incorporate. No you don't, not until you're making enough money that it becomes an obvious benefit. (Or if your platform requires it, in which case... what are you waiting for? That process isn't even hard and it costs like $250 which even a McDonalds employee can save up in a few months)

3) I gotta be US based, or in the first world. NOPE. Some things are simpler in developing nations actually, and look at all the millionaires coming out of India and China who are running all sorts of businesses online.

4) I need a blog for SEO juice, and Facebook ads, and social media presence, and business cards, and... no you don't. You don't need traffic, you need traction. Spend some time evaluating each possible traffic source that you can use for your business, and then test the ones that seem like the most likely to work. (Go read "Traction" if you don't quite understand this)

5) I need credibility, I need to build my reputation... no you don't. Credibility is a selling point, not a requirement, and credibility builds as you sell more and people start talking about you. (Unscripted : PRODUCTOCRACY).

6) Online business is too easy, I need something with a higher barrier to entry! No you don't: you've completely misinterpreted MJ's books if you think like this. High entry protects you from competition, it's not a requirement to make sales AND entry barriers get higher (in different forms... like credibility!) the longer you're in business.

So how do you solve this problem?

Find a successful model, study it until you understand EXACTLY what it sells, how it markets, how it gets customers, how it fulfills orders/services, how to start it, and how to run it. Then copy it with the following exceptions.

1) Don't sell the exact same thing: sell something that you believe to be better. And don't ask around if it's better: sell it and get your answer from the marketplace.

2) Come up with your own brand name.

Go start a Shopify dropshipping business, or an Amazon business, or a digital marketing agency, JUST LIKE other people are doing it, and earn some money so you can learn how easy it really is (because your problem is that you don't believe you can do it). Will you earn a living income? I don't know, depends on a million factors. But you'll learn one thing: this stuff ain't that hard.

G

Guest6814

Yes, I definitely felt like giving up. And I did give up for a while.

I’ve always enjoyed writing, and eventually put together a novel. It sold in very, very small quantities as an eBook, starting in late 2010. The paperback edition came out in early 2011. It was really dispiriting; it was lacking so many things that I really thought I couldn’t do it.

After a time, I starting thinking that maybe it might start having the beginning of a chance to become slightly less unprofitable - if only...

That summer, I read The Millionaire Fastlane , and also decided to go into apps. That was even harder. I was a one-person operation. A business coach helped me out, but her knowledge wasn’t totally attuned to the app market, and I also made a thousand mistakes on my own.

I hung on with the whole app thing, despite constantly losing money on it, until 2014. By then, I had had enough.

Still, in the back of my mind, I didn’t want to throw away my writing dreams. So...late in 2014 I went back to my novel and started that venture anew. I took a friend’s advice and revised the novel - upgrading its text and even its cover. I also took her advice to put out a sequel. I published the sequel in 2015.

Money? Hoo-boy. That took time. It was a bumpy ride for a few years, and still isn’t totally smooth. I’ve put out two additional sequels since then, and started a new series. In the pursuit of profit, I’ve taken online courses and read books on “authorpreneurship,” invested in ads, tried gimmicks like newsletter swaps, made a ton of silly mistakes, and wasted time chasing stratagems that didn’t pan out.

Now, am I making money online? The answer is a qualified “yes.” I have been gradually settling into a marketing schema that seems to work for me. (Unfortunately, no industry has one perfect marketing solution that will work wonders for everybody.) Over the past couple of months, Amazon has paid me royalties and charged me less than those amounts for advertising. So, that’s profit.

Two caveats:
1. Amazon delays book royalties for 60 days. That throws a bit of rain on my little victory lap in the paragraph above. If Amazon charges me $400 in ads to earn $70 in royalties, then waits two months to pay me the $70, while simultaneously charging me $10 in ads, then..did the $70 mean $60 in profit? Maybe it sorta, like, does?
2. I haven’t yet figured out how to scale the sales from $20 in a month to $200 or $2000 in a month without spending a king’s ransom on ads. I know it’s possible; I’m just not there yet.

Glad I didn’t actually give up, though, despite being sorely tempted on many, many occasions.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
If you want to help people then post a problem your business has and the budget for solving it. Then meet up with other people with the same problem and pitch in your budget as prize money for a solution.

think xprize.org on a smaller scale.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This thread is a poorly veiled attempt at idea scavenging...unless the OP shares his personal success process and story in step-by-step detail (which is what he's trying to pull out of the rest of you).

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
This thread is a poorly veiled attempt at idea scavenging...unless the OP shares his personal success process and story in step-by-step detail (which is what he's trying to pull out of the rest of you).

Well, it fooled me. I see nothing wrong with idea scavenging personally. Especially if execution matters and ideas are worthless may as well give the ideas away.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Well, it fooled me. I see nothing wrong with idea scavenging personally. Especially if execution matters and ideas are worthless may as well give the ideas away.

The problem is dishonesty. Not idea scavenging.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Not so!
So why?

Well, this thread just derailed quickly.

50% of my revenue is from wholesale, which is offline.

When my business hits its peak, wholesale will account for 90% of my revenue.

Thinking online business is somehow superior to offline business is a really short sited way to view business.

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
Yes, I definitely felt like giving up. And I did give up for a while.

I’ve always enjoyed writing, and eventually put together a novel. It sold in very, very small quantities as an eBook, starting in late 2010. The paperback edition came out in early 2011. It was really dispiriting; it was lacking so many things that I really thought I couldn’t do it.

After a time, I starting thinking that maybe it might start having the beginning of a chance to become slightly less unprofitable - if only...

That summer, I read The Millionaire Fastlane , and also decided to go into apps. That was even harder. I was a one-person operation. A business coach helped me out, but her knowledge wasn’t totally attuned to the app market, and I also made a thousand mistakes on my own.

I hung on with the whole app thing, despite constantly losing money on it, until 2014. By then, I had had enough.

Still, in the back of my mind, I didn’t want to throw away my writing dreams. So...late in 2014 I went back to my novel and started that venture anew. I took a friend’s advice and revised the novel - upgrading its text and even its cover. I also took her advice to put out a sequel. I published the sequel in 2015.

Money? Hoo-boy. That took time. It was a bumpy ride for a few years, and still isn’t totally smooth. I’ve put out two additional sequels since then, and started a new series. In the pursuit of profit, I’ve taken online courses and read books on “authorpreneurship,” invested in ads, tried gimmicks like newsletter swaps, made a ton of silly mistakes, and wasted time chasing stratagems that didn’t pan out.

Now, am I making money online? The answer is a qualified “yes.” I have been gradually settling into a marketing schema that seems to work for me. (Unfortunately, no industry has one perfect marketing solution that will work wonders for everybody.) Over the past couple of months, Amazon has paid me royalties and charged me less than those amounts for advertising. So, that’s profit.

Two caveats:
1. Amazon delays book royalties for 60 days. That throws a bit of rain on my little victory lap in the paragraph above. If Amazon charges me $400 in ads to earn $70 in royalties, then waits two months to pay me the $70, while simultaneously charging me $10 in ads, then..did the $70 mean $60 in profit? Maybe it sorta, like, does?
2. I haven’t yet figured out how to scale the sales from $20 in a month to $200 or $2000 in a month without spending a king’s ransom on ads. I know it’s possible; I’m just not there yet.

Glad I didn’t actually give up, though, despite being sorely tempted on many, many occasions.
Bravo! For not giving up.

What an inspiring experience you had.

Ennylee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 14, 2019
Lagos, Nigeria
Well, this thread just derailed quickly.

50% of my revenue is from wholesale, which is offline.

When my business hits its peak, wholesale will account for 90% of my revenue.

Thinking online business is somehow superior to offline business is a really short sited way to view business.
What worked for one might not work for the other, I just said what worked for me.

Achieve_Bay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 5, 2019
it took me 2 months to get my first client in my business, and that stubborn a$$ client took another month on top of that to actually pay me. I can't even explain all the pain and turmoil along with the depression and second guessing on whether I did the right thing by investing in myself like this.

But through hard work and somehow managing to survive it all the other side was a lot brighter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.