The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ADVICE: starting a niche blog. Affiliate marketing,etc

Marketing, social media, advertising

AZEG

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 21, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hello everyone,

I wanted to chat with you guys about a blog i have been looking at creating.
It is called " SportsKneeTherapy.com"

It is essentially a personal blog covering everything about the pre/post-surgery process of a sports related knee injuries.

Reason for this: I was going to play for Arizona State University as a walk-on the year James Harden was playing for us until i blew out my left knee (ACL, MCL, meniscus) then tore my right ACL exactly 2 years later. After reflecting on both of my post-acl physical therapy process, I realized that physical therapists provide only so much knowledge about the stages of exercise and little knowledge about the psychological stresses, nutrition, and protective gear one can benefit from.

My father purchased the domain Sportskneetherapy.com through GoDaddy.com as he immediately purchased the site since I was waiting for my card to come in the mail.However, I would like to have HostGator as my web host.
How do I transfer my domain over to HostGator?

What packages and features should I select with the blog that I am creating?

Audience

• High School Athletes/Trainers
  • College & University Athletes/Trainers
  • Professional Athletes
  • Local Physical Therapy patients
  • Hospitals

Affilate marketing

• Knee braces- I would sell products i have used and create videos showcasing my experience with the product.
  • Knee exercise programs/guides
  • Nutritional products for fast recovery- Anti-inflammatory, glutamine, joint vitamins
  • Knee cold and hot therapeutic products- compression sleeves, muscle stimulation

What affiliate sites are best? I just registered with Clickbank.
In addition, I watched Gary Vaynerchuks "Want to get advertising on your blog" video and it gave me the idea to contact companies that sell products for knee recovery in setting up an affiliate program. Is this something to consider? Or would I be better off contacting those that are already paying companies to advertise their products?

Content

• Knee anatomy
  • Knee Exercises
  • Knee Surgery
  • Comeback stories
  • Social Media platforms and videos
  • College/Professional athlete/Physical therapist interviews
  • Knee Forum section- create a community to share recovery stories
  • Build an email list

Web Design

• Install Wordpress Theme- looking to do a minimalistic template.
  • Logo Design? How may i go about creating and selecting the right logo?

I'm looking at a template similar to these 2:
Instinct:Instinct
London Creative:London Creative - Portfolio Gallery Template | BestBloggerTemplates.Net

Please do give me your thoughts and ideas to make this site happen.
I believe in this niche, but most importantly would love to make a living helping empower those that go through this unfortunate situation.
Thank you Secret Entourage.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ewH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Oct 30, 2012
  1. You don't need to transfer the domain to hostgator to use their web hosting. Read their docs for support on how to set it up or transfer the domain if you still want.
  2. Just do a basic Wordpress install. You can change themes and install plugins as needed.
  3. Focus on creating content and getting readers. You can worry about monetization later. It will be such a small amount at first, it's not worth alienating your potential readers.
  4. This is not Secret Entourage.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Consider also that you're going to be a fastlane hitchhiker by going down the affiliate path. Yeah, you can be quite successful through affiliate marketing, but in the end you're still at the mercy of your affiliate sites and probably Google. It's probably a decent niche, but I'd consider your full range of options about the strategies you could use to do well in it before going down the path you're looking at now.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Like mentioned you can use hostgator hosting without transferring your domain to them. In fact I recommend keeping your domain with godaddy and (Forward the DNS) to hostgator. Its a very simple process, when you sign up for hostgator they will email you their two name servers to change the settings to.

I would also have 0 focus on affiliate products or making money on the blog to start. If you want it to be successful, focus your time on the content and the users and really defining a point of need for what you offer. I would maybe change the domain to something without sports as well because even though you got your injury in sports the surgery and recovery process is similar for everyone enduring that process.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you Secret Entourage.

This is not Secret Entourage but the Fastlane forum which is based upon the book, The Millionaire Fastlane .

The business you describe isn't particularly Fastlane -- in fact, I'd view it as a time suck that ultimately, with great success, will make you barely 4-figures a month. (Based upon a simple blogging/content model) If that is an amount you aspire to, go for it. Additionally, regardless of the income potential of your idea, you will learn a lot in the process.

I'd explain why your idea gives me severe anxiety from a Fastlane perspective (CENTS just for starters) but don't have the time (the book is 300+ pages) or the capability.

I wish you welcome to the forum -- nice to have another fellow Arizonian onboard. :)

Last edited:

AZEG

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 21, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
I would also have 0 focus on affiliate products or making money on the blog to start. If you want it to be successful, focus your time on the content and the users and really defining a point of need for what you offer. I would maybe change the domain to something without sports as well because even though you got your injury in sports the surgery and recovery process is similar for everyone enduring that process.
I understand that I need to focus on my content and users in generating a sense of community. As far as the "sports" part of the name I think I want to keep it because i'm looking at targeting the young adults/athletes that have had "sports" related knee injuries.These types of injuries happen more during sports than any other situation. I feel that with the content I build that I can later reach out to the older active adults.

This is not Secret Entourage but the Fastlane forum which is based upon the book, The Millionaire Fastlane .

The business you describe isn't particularly Fastlane -- in fact, I'd view it as a time suck that ultimately, with great success, will make you barely 4-figures a month. (Based upon a simple blogging/content model) If that is an amount you aspire to, go for it. Additionally, regardless of the income potential of your idea, you will learn a lot in the process.

I'd explain why your idea gives me severe anxiety from a Fastlane perspective (CENTS just for starters) but don't have the time (the book is 300+ pages) or the capability.

My apologies I asked Secret Entourage for advice as well.

4 figures a month is an amount I aspire to, but the main thing I seek from this is the ability to help make these injured athletes lives better and more informed than I was during my recovery process.I would love the freedom of working online. Like you said, I plan to learn valuable things from this to create other websites and mobile applications.

edit: I just saw what you meant by CENTS. I will answer to that soon

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!