The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Brit in Chiang Mai

prof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 21, 2015
Chiang Mai
Hi! :tiphat:

I'm a 29 year old British guy who currently lives in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I've been out here for 2.5 years now.

As a young lad I always imagined I'd take the fastlane. But as time went by I crept into the slowlane.

Back when I lived in London I had a job that many people were envious of - working in the camera department of a highly-regarded television studio.

At times it was a lot of fun. It was a great adventure.

I saw a lot of cool things and met interesting people. The live nature of most recordings got the adrenaline pumping.

Deep inside though I was unhappy.

Unhappy that I worked such long shift hours.
Unhappy that my social life consisted mainly about talking about work.
Unhappy that I couldn't live the life I wanted to in London on the wage I was taking home.
Unhappy that I was committing the majority of my adult life to living within dark television studios.

Fortunately I was working for a very understanding company and had an excellent boss.

I took a 3-month sabbatical back in 2012 and headed out to South East Asia to re-energise.

I've travelled quite extensively in the past. I took a year out after university to travel round the world and have always had a desire to live abroad. This latest trip just re-affirmed that.

2 months into my trip my head was clear again. I was having the time of my life!

When I chanced upon Chiang Mai I remember getting a funny feeling - a feeling that said "I could live here" - and this was before I met a girl who later become my girlfriend (and who still is!).

It was apparently meant to be.

I worked like a dog when I returned to London - lapping up every opportunity for overtime I could claim to bolster my bank balance.

With my accommodation contract coming to my end and circumstances changing with my housemates also, I made my 8,000 mile re-location a reality in a whirlwind 3-month window.

My immediate plan for Chiang Mai was to teach English, but I knew this would not take me far so didn't actively pursue much employment after the training course.

All my free time was committed to making something work - somehow - online - and I did.

Within 3 months I was making more than I possibly could do as an English teacher but I had reached a ceiling of where I could take that project.

I locked my sights instead on affiliate marketing CPA offers using paid advertising and this is where I have been ever since.

I earn pretty good money but I'm not really where I want to be yet - and besides the original website which actually still generates a respectable passive income, I don't really have any assets that I could eventually cash-out.

I found the Fastlane Forums through a friend when discussing the Amazon FBA model (something I'm contemplating getting into) and I recently picked up the book.

It totally struck a chord with me and I've been making time in each day to digest more and more of it.

Even during my extremely short time on these forums I've already picked up so much gold and I can tell this is gonna be a great place to develop myself and grow my business.

I hope I can do my part and contribute wherever I have experience myself. :)

It's a pleasure to be here and it's nice to meet you all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
A few of us are getting together next month in Bangkok if you want to head down here and join us.

I'd link the thread but im on my phone at the moment. Do a search for bangkok and im sure you'll be able to find it if youre interested.

Welcome to the forum.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Last edited by a moderator:

prof

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 21, 2015
Chiang Mai
Thanks for the heads-up and link for the BKK meet. I may well be down for that.

In fact - I think I was at that exact venue just the other week for another meet. It's a great little spot.

Watching that thread and will see if I can make it work. :)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Thanks for the heads-up and link for the BKK meet. I may well be down for that.

In fact - I think I was at that exact venue just the other week for another meet. It's a great little spot.

Watching that thread and will see if I can make it work. :)
Put up a pic

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
10/10 would read again

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
Hi! :tiphat:

I'm a 29 year old British guy who currently lives in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I've been out here for 2.5 years now.

As a young lad I always imagined I'd take the fastlane. But as time went by I crept into the slowlane.

Back when I lived in London I had a job that many people were envious of - working in the camera department of a highly-regarded television studio.

At times it was a lot of fun. It was a great adventure.

I saw a lot of cool things and met interesting people. The live nature of most recordings got the adrenaline pumping.

Deep inside though I was unhappy.

Unhappy that I worked such long shift hours.
Unhappy that my social life consisted mainly about talking about work.
Unhappy that I couldn't live the life I wanted to in London on the wage I was taking home.
Unhappy that I was committing the majority of my adult life to living within dark television studios.

Fortunately I was working for a very understanding company and had an excellent boss.

I took a 3-month sabbatical back in 2012 and headed out to South East Asia to re-energise.

I've travelled quite extensively in the past. I took a year out after university to travel round the world and have always had a desire to live abroad. This latest trip just re-affirmed that.

2 months into my trip my head was clear again. I was having the time of my life!

When I chanced upon Chiang Mai I remember getting a funny feeling - a feeling that said "I could live here" - and this was before I met a girl who later become my girlfriend (and who still is!).

It was apparently meant to be.

I worked like a dog when I returned to London - lapping up every opportunity for overtime I could claim to bolster my bank balance.

With my accommodation contract coming to my end and circumstances changing with my housemates also, I made my 8,000 mile re-location a reality in a whirlwind 3-month window.

My immediate plan for Chiang Mai was to teach English, but I knew this would not take me far so didn't actively pursue much employment after the training course.

All my free time was committed to making something work - somehow - online - and I did.

Within 3 months I was making more than I possibly could do as an English teacher but I had reached a ceiling of where I could take that project.

I locked my sights instead on affiliate marketing CPA offers using paid advertising and this is where I have been ever since.

I earn pretty good money but I'm not really where I want to be yet - and besides the original website which actually still generates a respectable passive income, I don't really have any assets that I could eventually cash-out.

I found the Fastlane Forums through a friend when discussing the Amazon FBA model (something I'm contemplating getting into) and I recently picked up the book.

It totally struck a chord with me and I've been making time in each day to digest more and more of it.

Even during my extremely short time on these forums I've already picked up so much gold and I can tell this is gonna be a great place to develop myself and grow my business.

I hope I can do my part and contribute wherever I have experience myself. :)

It's a pleasure to be here and it's nice to meet you all!
It's good to have you join this community.
Your traveling and adventures provide you with perspectives that will help you identify market needs ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...