The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

90 Day Cold Calling Challenge

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 34 Summary

Dials: 20
Reached: 5 (25%)
Leads: 1 (20%)
Prospects: 1 (100%)

As per yesterday, I am trying to hit the pain points early on in the conversation and not "wait" for the follow calls to do so.

On one call, it seemed like it was working but when the guy was about to give me his email - he just dropped the phone. I called him back but he didn't pick up. I have never had someone drop the phone at this point of conversation so that was a bit weird.

The highlight of today was that I talked to a pretty keen lead so I listed him as a prospect as he said he was interested in a new site. He is 66 and bad with tech, but he has been working in the industry for more than 40 years, so he must have a lot of local connections.

He said he would probably want something on a cheaper end, so I would probably just make him a one-page site but right now portfolio comes first and profit later!

Crazy GG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 35 Summary

Reached: 7 (35%)
Leads: 1 (14%)
Prospects: 0 (0%)

Main lesson for today - don't deviate from the script!

Today (and in the past) after my initial line and their initial rebuttal, I find myself starting to improvise and not following my outlined script.

When I do, I start mumbling and of course the call doesn't go well.

So it's important that if you have prepared a script - FOLLOW IT.

It may not sound natural but it will still be better than you trying to improvise.

I really need to work on this because I always find a reason to improvise.

Of course, you cannot prepare for 100% of the situations but you definitely can for 80-90% and in those situations don't come up with new stuff - do that only before or after the calling sessions.

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Follow Up Update

So on today's follow up session I had almost 3 similar conversations so I wanted to share them here.

Basically, the gist of all those conversations is that all 3 were quite interested in a new site and all 3 said they really liked what i had already done but they don't want to go ahead with it at the moment. Two of them said that they are super busy at the moment so they need to get their priorities straight while the third one wasn't so open about it.

What makes it frustrating is that it's hard to tell if they are bullshitting you or they actually are super busy.

Do you guys think it's better to push for the sale now and risk losing them altogether or just letting them off the hook for now and following up in a couple of months?

One one hand you don't want to lose sales just because you are not persistent but on the other hand if they actually are interested then you don't want to ruin it either.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you determine their real reasons and how do you switch their minds if it's actually a BS reason?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi.

Just ask these guys for the sale then and there. They are not going to be getting back to you or you making much headway calling them back in the future.

I wrote earlier but did not want to put you off too much. You are phoning the wrong people.

Out of your 35 days of calling (approx 700 one man maybe two man band carpenters and plumbers) you have 1 sale.

From a guy who is no longer a carpenter but a Property Developer.

So look at your stats again.

699 dials to carpenters & plumbers = 0 sales.

1 inadvertent call to a Property Developer (who probably wants investors and deals in £hundreds of thousands) = 1 sale.

I don't want to say take a break but did you look at that Yell link someone above put in their post? Shocking websites and they are factories with staff, premises, the whole shebang. A small up tick in sales for some of them will translate to a lot of money so your fee is peanuts in comparison.

Think about it. You are obviously a hard worker from what I am reading.

Have a good weekend.

Dan

PS: If you want a chat sometime message me your email or phone. I offered to message you but can't work out how.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 36 Summary

Reached: 6 (30%)
Leads: 3 (50%)

Good Monday morning from UK! Just finished my prospecting session before heading up to my part time sales job.

Today I got 3 weak/medium leads
  1. A guy who is thinking about reducing workload and retiring in 4-5 years
  2. A guy who supposedly has a website (but it's not loading for me)
  3. A guy who is looking to grow his business and is already looking to have a website but has someone lined up already.
The best thing that happened, though, was that a lady heard me making cold calls in the library section of my old university, came up to me and said that her husband owns a house plastering business and they can't get their website in order. We chatted a bit, I showed her my latest project and she seemed quite impressed. She told me to send some stuff over to her husbands email. I did not want to be too pushy, so I did not ask for her personal number, but I will send them over some stuff and surely follow up on their business phone.

If I actually get her husband as a client, it would really be another reminded that the more you try - the luckier you get.

Crazy GG

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
the plumbers said they considered anything related to online a waste of time and they said they are getting enough work anyways

Congratulations on the sale, much deserved.

I'm wasting some time so figured I'd write something -- one of the big things I noted from your earlier posts, and also what @Stargazer posted, was that you're dealing with people who don't really want a website. My uncle is a garden landscaper (for whom I made a website, incidentally) and basically didn't want to renew it because he gets all his work from Yellow Pages. In fact, his site is powered by them now (which I wasn't privy to before): https://www.davelargelandscaping.co.uk/

If you are still persisting down the sole-trader route, I think there's certainly scope for growth... but I think the REAL kicker for them is online REPUTATION management... dealing with Trustpilot (or the equivalent in their industry), Yellow Pages reviews, online branding and other stuff.

The big sell will be "you may not care about online but your customers do - I'm able to provide management for your online reviews / reputation for a single one-off fee. Think of it as a "spring clean" for anything you're doing online. I remove bad reviews, make sure you're properly represented in Yellow Pages for $x"

Maybe that could provide some ideas.

On top of that, you need to look into BNI - that's RIFE with tradespeople looking for business. It's a ballache to attend but the quality of leads is incredible.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 37 Summary

Leads: 2 (33%)

Today was one of the low motivation days to call, but this challenge keeps me pushing and I just finished yet another session.

One important thing when you cold call is to have a goal in mind. For a large time my goal has been to get the guys email and then try to schedule a follow up but I think I need to switch it up and go directly for an appointment.

The reason is that a lot of times I get the email but the people are not really interested. I feel like if I was pushing for an appointment it would be harder but it would require me to get them more interested which is ultimately what I should be doing anyways.

As for today, one guy told me he will call me back in the afternoon and the other guy told me he already has someone lined up but I told him I will just send him my case studies as more options never hurt anyone.

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 38 Summary

Leads: 1 (16%)

I still have trouble following the script when they throw out objections (even the common ones) and from what I have found - I think it's a lack of preparation.

I put down to role play with myself this Saturday for a minimum of 1 hour to overcome this.

I will also try to do at least 1 recording a week and post it here so you guys can see my progression week by week.

Crazy GG

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
How did delivery on your sale go?

Next time you close a deal, ask for a referral right away, as soon as the deal is inked. That's the highest point of the relationship, at least until you deliver stellar service (or the opposite....) so take advantage of it.

Another tactic to try: if you get some conversation but they ultimately come to a dead end, feel free to ask them for a lead. Something like "Well it sounds like you aren't a fit for my services at the moment, who do you know that is?"

Again, not an expert in sales but these tactics have produced a little fruit for me in the past.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
How did delivery on your sale go?

Next time you close a deal, ask for a referral right away, as soon as the deal is inked. That's the highest point of the relationship, at least until you deliver stellar service (or the opposite....) so take advantage of it.

Another tactic to try: if you get some conversation but they ultimately come to a dead end, feel free to ask them for a lead. Something like "Well it sounds like you aren't a fit for my services at the moment, who do you know that is?"

Again, not an expert in sales but these tactics have produced a little fruit for me in the past.
I am currently working on it. Already got the design and the client is happy, now just need to convert it to Wordpress and add the blog posts which I will outsource.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 39 Summary

Reached: 8 (40%)
Leads: 3 (37%)

Tried to make a challenge for myself today that I can only speak lines from my script and not improvise.

It worked pretty well but as the conversations went I run out of my script but the important thing is to stick to the script in the beginning and when they throw out objections.

One of the leads was very adamant about knowing how much it is going to cost. He said he has many designer friends and they can do it for x pounds, so what can I do it for? I tried to stand my ground but ended up giving him a price upfront (which is not a good practice). I am not sure if he was trying to price-bully me or he was just very pushy but he seemed very adamant about it. I guess it's also my fault for not being confident enough but hopefully that will come with time.

Crazy GG

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
He said he has many designer friends and they can do it for x pounds, so what can I do it for? I tried to stand my ground but ended up giving him a price upfront (which is not a good practice). I am not sure if he was trying to price-bully me or he was just very pushy but he seemed very adamant about it.
He sees you as a liability not as an asset. 10 times out of 10 this will be the worst kind of client you can have.

Do you have a script for helping your prospects to see your service as an investment and not as a cost?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
He sees you as a liability not as an asset. 10 times out of 10 this will be the worst kind of client you can have.

Do you have a script for helping your prospects to see your service as an investment and not as a cost?
One reason to have a great website is that if you have a quality site out there, it will speak to your potential customer about your quality service. I mean, imagine you are considering using a particular business, they say that they are the best decorators in the area but their website looks like it's from the nineties. What are you going to think of that?

What do you think of that?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 40 Summary - 2/3 Challenge Done

Leads: 2 (25%)

My most interesting conversation today was with a decorator's wife.

Apparently this guy is super well-known for his work and he even received a medallion from the Queen made by her personal jeweller.

When I heard this, I obviously switched gears and said I would do the site for him pretty much for free just to get his testimonials and recommendations.

Unfortunately for me, the wife didn't see much value as the guy "didn't need to advertise" - the same old objection I still have trouble to overcome.

I tried to explain that I am not looking to advertise him but just put out his best work for the world to see online so when people want to check him out, they can.

She remained skeptical but friendly, so she gave me his email and said that even though he probably wouldn't be interested, maybe he can recommend me to someone who would be.

Gotta say - his wife was a pretty good saleswomen as I don't know if he is actually that good but she convinced me he was :D

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 41 Summary

Reached: 5 (25%)
Leads: 1 (20%)

Today's Monday morning was a bit hard - had literally no energy and enthusiasm to pick up the phone. My tone and confidence was off but the challenge is a challenge so had no other choices but to make the calls.

Consequently the calls weren't the best of quality but I did talk to a guy briefly who told me he was looking to get a new site and told me to call back in a month.

Crazy GG

P.S. There is a sale pending - I am waiting for the deposit coming in to make it official. When I do, I will share all the details on the forum. I would give it 50/50 because even though the guy said he would do it, he sounded like a person who would talk to the wife and in those scenarios you never know :oops:

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Day 39 Summary

One of the leads was very adamant about knowing how much it is going to cost. He said he has many designer friends and they can do it for x pounds, so what can I do it for?

Crazy GG

Have a rebuttal lined up....

" I understand where you are coming from but things that are cheap now may cost you a LOT of money down the road. Lost contracts, not being found on google due to bad web design. There is a difference between a 50$ tattoo and a 500$ tattoo. For my last client, I helped him achieve this.....where he was losing money here.....

or use this

"Every business is different and every business owner has a different vision which is why I can't give you a price right now without understanding what the business needs and what you are trying to achieve....lets talk"

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
So far, what have been the top 5 objections? Sticking points?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
So far, what have been the top 5 objections? Sticking points?
Biggest objection/brush off by far is "we are not looking to advertise as we have enough referrals/work coming in".

However, website is more than just advertising - people will want to see your work and check you out even if they are referrals. I have been trying to come up with a good rebuttal for this but it doesn't seem to be working, so I keep testing different strategies.

Granted, some of the businesses indeed might be too small for a website but that doesn't change the fact that I cannot overcome the objection as bigger companies have sometimes said the same thing. Somehow people associate website with advertising, but I need to quickly convince them otherwise.

Any ideas?

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 42 Summary

Leads: 1 (12.5%)

After yesterday's slow start I decided to watch some sales video before to pump me up and it definitely helped, at least energy-wise.

One thing I decided is to focus on ONE thing when I am trying to improve something. In the past I always have tried to fix many things at the same time (my energy, objection handling strategies, opening scripts etc) and in the end I end up fixing nothing.

Today's goal was to no matter what the prospect says - AGREE with him/her first and go from there. I have read in many places that #1 key to overcoming brush offs/early objections is to validate prospect's opinion first and deflect the objection instead of addressing it head on (especially in the beginning when most of times it's just BS anyways).

So whenever they said anything, first thing I forced myself to say "Yes, that's fantastic!". I found it helped not only ease the prospect but also it put me to ease as I was going in rapport with the prospect instead of going against him.

I will definitely build upon it tomorrow - it's really a big key.

Other than that, I have found that my part time sales job has really made me honest about my current sales abilities and that I need to improve a lot. Most of the people working there working over a year are making 3-5 sales a day while I occasionally get only 1 and most of the times I get 0.

It's very frustrating but I feel like it provides more angles and references experiences for me to improve.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Biggest objection/brush off by far is "we are not looking to advertise as we have enough referrals/work coming in".

However, website is more than just advertising - people will want to see your work and check you out even if they are referrals. I have been trying to come up with a good rebuttal for this but it doesn't seem to be working, so I keep testing different strategies.

Granted, some of the businesses indeed might be too small for a website but that doesn't change the fact that I cannot overcome the objection as bigger companies have sometimes said the same thing. Somehow people associate website with advertising, but I need to quickly convince them otherwise.

Any ideas?

Don't waste time and energy on these people. These people are not in the market and a waste of your time. NOT everyone is going to buy...

I think its best to reframe your mind and be THANKFUL these people are telling you the truth so you can go out there and get another sale. There are people out there that will try to waste your time. Those people you have to be careful about....

You could have 1 soft rebuttal such as "Great....you are trying to expand your business? What better way to rebrand than telling your customers on your new website.." Other than that, I would quickly move on....

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I would kindly suggest changing tactics.

You've made a lot of calls, you understand the basics of cold calling, and you're not as anxious about actually making the calls.

Now it's time to move on and research your contacts before calling them. If you continue to call people who are one-man operations, you'll get the same reason for not wanting a website (they have all the business they need). They don't care about their reputation or displaying their work, because they don't need more work.

What is your true target market? This market is telling you that it doesn't have a need. Which one does? Start prospecting there. Once you do, you'll find a new list of objections, and these are the ones you truly need to overcome, but you won't find out what they are until you start calling the right people.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
I would kindly suggest changing tactics.

You've made a lot of calls, you understand the basics of cold calling, and you're not as anxious about actually making the calls.

Now it's time to move on and research your contacts before calling them. If you continue to call people who are one-man operations, you'll get the same reason for not wanting a website (they have all the business they need). They don't care about their reputation or displaying their work, because they don't need more work.

What is your true target market? This market is telling you that it doesn't have a need. Which one does? Start prospecting there. Once you do, you'll find a new list of objections, and these are the ones you truly need to overcome, but you won't find out what they are until you start calling the right people.

I think that the 90 day challenge has backfired a bit because I am more concerned about just making those 20 calls/day rather than researching and maybe making 5-10 calls/day.

I have started reaching out to more serious businesses through other channels (i.e. LinkedIn) and when this challenge is over and I don't have to hit my 20 calls/day, I will start to call less people but more targeted list of people.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 43 Summary

Reached: 9 (45%)
Leads: 1 (11%)

Same old story today - 2 people retired, 2 people dropped the phone, 3 friendly chats and a 1 interested lead.

I need to start thinking about AB testing and what things I could start testing in my sales approach.

Crazy GG

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 44 Summary

Leads: 0 (0%)

Not the best day of results, but what I am starting to see though are the patterns that the cold call has.

That is, I now can sort of predict where the call will go and actually go though the prepared script almost line by line which is great.

One thing I do now is no matter what they say on their initial rebuttal, I answer with "That's great you are doing x. So what's your number 1 goal with your business at the moment?"

The idea is that no one is interested in a website but making their business better, so I try to direct their attention to that and then present website as a solution.

Crazy GG

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Record yourself and ask if you would continue talking to yourself...

It's not what you say but how you say it...

Post on here if you want us to critique it.....

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Record yourself and ask if you would continue talking to yourself...

It's not what you say but how you say it...

Post on here if you want us to critique it.....
I have recorded myself in the past and posted here on the thread couple of times, but next week I will do it it again!

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 45 Summary

Reached: 9 (45%)
Leads: 2 (22%)

So about 4 people I called today were retired...

I know, I know - I should be calling bigger companies. I have already started looking for bigger local companies. I don't cold call them though as my experience in the past hasn't been the best with getting to the DM and always wasting time with GK.

What I do with them is try to reach out to the DM on LinkedIn and go from there.

I know it's a bit unrelated to the cold calling challenge but I just wanted to say that I do listen to your guys' advise and I do look for bigger companies.

I guess I just don't believe I can get them as a client from pure cold calling (I guess that's my limiting belief).

Anyways - back to today's calls.

So I got 2 leads - both one-man-bands. One guy wasn't that interested while the girl said she wants to move into interior decorating (more premium than simply home improvement) and she has been TOLD she needed a website (so she kind of told me an explicit need).

Have a great weekend boys and girls,

Crazy GG

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Hey man, perhaps you can try other stuff while you keep cold calling. Like reaching out to companies that don't have a website but a facebook page. I just got called by a dude whom I sent a message in the Summer.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Day 46 Summary

Reached: 11 (55%)
Leads: 3 (27.2%)

Okay, so I made a very big change to my cold calling script.

Instead of asking about their website, I just say them "Look. I know you are doing very well with your business. I had a few things in mind that I think can help you. Would you be able to have a conversation next Wednesday 7?" and something of that variation

No bullshit, straight to the chase and most importantly - I don't talk about websites, I talk about their needs and problems.

Some people asked me what I do but I tried not to just say "I do websites" and sell my service as a commodity. Instead I told most of them that there's a lot I can do for them but I first need to understand where they are and what problems they are facing.

I didn't send them any emails, just told them I wanted to have a chat tomorrow or Wednesday.

Will see how those leads turn out but I actually feel a lot better about them than the ones I get the email from.

My advice to you guys - don't hide from the fact that you are selling something - they know it already. Most people focus on trying to sound like they are not really selling while the real focus should be to make what you are selling sound exciting and something that will really help them.

Crazy GG

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.