The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

26 and going for first £3000/month

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Hi Everyone,

I've joined this forum a long time ago and it's time to break the silence on where I've been and where I'm going:

- For the last 10 years I've worked really hard to become a pro racing driver. Due to many personal and outside factors, namely funding, involving myself with the wrong people, and the worldwide Corona debacle, my racing career lost momentum.

- I've done many different types freelance gigs in the past, from web development to copywriting. Never brought big money, usually 3-figures and sometimes low 4-figures per month. I've failed quite a bit to achieve any significant traction in my business ventures.

- Begun a Commercial Pilot's License course in 2021 and should be getting an EASA (European) Commercial Pilot's License in the second half of this year. I just got done with my 13th and last theory exam. The commercial pilot exams were one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.

Target: £3000 ($3725)/month. Why this? This is a stepping-stone goal that I can see myself achieving in 2023 along with my course commitments. Of course this is peanuts compared to what others are making on this forum, however this is a goal that motivates me, and I believe you can be financially independent almost anywhere in the world with this money.

My strengths:

- Relatively intelligent. Achieved ~85% average across commercial pilot's license exams through self-study.
- Hard-working. When I desire something, I don't give up.

My weaknesses:

- Complacency. My parents are relatively well off and are footing the bill for my commercial pilot's course. They want nothing more than for me to get an airline pilot job. At the moment, I don't really have to do much more than study hard and be a good son, but I desire so much more.
- I've been very flaky in the past. I say I'll do a lot, but haven't lived up to my promises so many times.
- I've been slow to put things into action and I'm working on changing that by posting regularly here for accountability.

TLDR: 26M, former racing driver and current student pilot close to getting a commercial pilot's license. Going for my first £3000/month.

I will be posting my plans, actions and the new habits I'm building to achieve my goal starting today. I will be spending more time on this forum, because I am desperate to improve my mindset and be around strivers who can give me constructive feedback.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
- Relatively intelligent. Achieved ~85% average across commercial pilot's license exams through self-study.

Welcome aboard my friend.

These strengths can outpull your weaknesses. Stay strong.

and the new habits I'm building to achieve my goal starting today.

Shamless plug: try GoalSumo.com.com to define and execute your plan! I use it daily.

Young Money

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 27, 2018
Canada
Hi Everyone,

I've joined this forum a long time ago and it's time to break the silence on where I've been and where I'm going:

- For the last 10 years I've worked really hard to become a pro racing driver. Due to many personal and outside factors, namely funding, involving myself with the wrong people, and the worldwide Corona debacle, my racing career lost momentum.

- I've done many different types freelance gigs in the past, from web development to copywriting. Never brought big money, usually 3-figures and sometimes low 4-figures per month. I've failed quite a bit to achieve any significant traction in my business ventures.

- Begun a Commercial Pilot's License course in 2021 and should be getting an EASA (European) Commercial Pilot's License in the second half of this year. I just got done with my 13th and last theory exam. The commercial pilot exams were one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.

Target: £3000 ($3725)/month. Why this? This is a stepping-stone goal that I can see myself achieving in 2023 along with my course commitments. Of course this is peanuts compared to what others are making on this forum, however this is a goal that motivates me, and I believe you can be financially independent almost anywhere in the world with this money.

My strengths:

My weaknesses:

- Complacency. My parents are relatively well off and are footing the bill for my commercial pilot's course. They want nothing more than for me to get an airline pilot job. At the moment, I don't really have to do much more than study hard and be a good son, but I desire so much more.
- I've been very flaky in the past. I say I'll do a lot, but haven't lived up to my promises so many times.
- I've been slow to put things into action and I'm working on changing that by posting regularly here for accountability.

TLDR: 26M, former racing driver and current student pilot close to getting a commercial pilot's license. Going for my first £3000/month.

I will be posting my plans, actions and the new habits I'm building to achieve my goal starting today. I will be spending more time on this forum, because I am desperate to improve my mindset and be around strivers who can give me constructive feedback.
Welcome!

Yes, its important to stay the course. Complacency is an enemy of mine too as well as procrastination. We can't let weeks go by without doing anything or those weeks quickly turn into years.

Lets make 2023 our year!

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022
Welcome! I can definitely relate to your struggles with complacency and feeling like you're not doing enough. Living with my parents as well, it's easy to get caught up in the expectations of others and lose sight of our own unique paths and goals. But it's great that you have a specific goal in mind and are taking action to achieve it. Remember that it's okay to make mistakes and fail, as long as you learn from them and keep pushing forward. The community here is always here to support and guide you, so don't hesitate to reach out for help. Good luck on your journey!

Justin Henderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jan 18, 2023
Welcome to the forum! I'm new here and ironically at the same point as you. (Student pilot, just finished PPL and doing commercial). Just wanted to say hi, as it sounds like we experienced the same extremely grueling exams. I'm from Canada, but I can't imagine the European testing being all too different with ICAO's global standardization.

Sound's like you're on the same path as me, trying to study and keep up to flight standards, while also pursuing a fastlane life. I'll be expecting many accountability posts to keep you in action!

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Step 1: Getting off the sidewalk and onto the slowlane

First things first, I need to move from Team Consumer to Team Producer.

To start building up to the first £3k month, I will utilise a number of strategies. I know some are obviously slowlane, but I need to start by becoming a net producer.

1. Job / Employment

- I anticipate I will be ready to take up job in a 2-3 months. Right now, I'm in the middle of some flying modules, so I'm unable to work full-time as I need to be available during the week for any flights.

- At at a min. wage of £10/hour. I should be able to net ~£1600/month working full time. Though once I get my commercial pilot's license, I would ideally make more than £2000/month. Based on what I've heard, salaries for newly qualified pilots working as flight instructors are woefully low. So I'll need to work on networking and hopefully get hired as a charter pilot.

2. Services
- I currently have one client paying £63/month for monthly website maintenance.

- I've successfully gained a number of long-term freelance clients on Upwork in the past. Upwork isn't ideal because of its fee structure. So I will start by using it as one of my sources of leads.

3. Products
- Selling products at scale would be what I envision gets me onto the Fastlane. At the moment, I don't have any products of my own to sell, however there is a lot of extra furniture from the previous owner in my house that I can sell.

- Over the next few months, I will work on dedicating time to brainstorming and executing on business ideas I have.

Action Steps January 2023:

As we're already nearing the end of the month I got to keep this short. Before February I intend to:

- Decide what freelance service(s) I'm going to offer.
- Start updating my personal website to display my skills and the services I can offer.
- List all the furniture I have in my house for sale on online marketplaces.

Justin Henderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jan 18, 2023
Step 1: Getting off the sidewalk and onto the slowlane

First things first, I need to move from Team Consumer to Team Producer.

To start building up to the first £3k month, I will utilise a number of strategies. I know some are obviously slowlane, but I need to start by becoming a net producer.

1. Job / Employment

- I anticipate I will be ready to take up job in a 2-3 months. Right now, I'm in the middle of some flying modules, so I'm unable to work full-time as I need to be available during the week for any flights.

- At at a min. wage of £10/hour. I should be able to net ~£1600/month working full time. Though once I get my commercial pilot's license, I would ideally make more than £2000/month. Based on what I've heard, salaries for newly qualified pilots working as flight instructors are woefully low. So I'll need to work on networking and hopefully get hired as a charter pilot.

2. Services
- I currently have one client paying £63/month for monthly website maintenance.

- I've successfully gained a number of long-term freelance clients on Upwork in the past. Upwork isn't ideal because of its fee structure. So I will start by using it as one of my sources of leads.

3. Products
- Selling products at scale would be what I envision gets me onto the Fastlane. At the moment, I don't have any products of my own to sell, however there is a lot of extra furniture from the previous owner in my house that I can sell.

- Over the next few months, I will work on dedicating time to brainstorming and executing on business ideas I have.

Action Steps January 2023:

As we're already nearing the end of the month I got to keep this short. Before February I intend to:

- Start updating my personal website to display my skills and the services I can offer.
The extremely low pay for beginning pilots are what made me jump on other alternatives. I'm not sure how Europe is, but its the definition of slow lane in Canada. You can earn a 6 figure salary as a high seniority international Captain, but you gotta hope you are able to get to that point, while also staying in that specific airline without it suddenly making cuts. The second you lose your job at an airline, its back to square one as an FO for some other airline, it honestly sucks.

If you do look for a job, I reccomend working ramp. I've made alot of airline connections just by doing ramp part time. Its a surprisingly small industry. It could help with fastracking into charters while you continue your freelance.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
The extremely low pay for beginning pilots are what made me jump on other alternatives. I'm not sure how Europe is, but its the definition of slow lane in Canada. You can earn a 6 figure salary as a high seniority international Captain, but you gotta hope you are able to get to that point, while also staying in that specific airline without it suddenly making cuts. The second you lose your job at an airline, its back to square one as an FO for some other airline, it honestly sucks.

If you do look for a job, I reccomend working ramp. I've made alot of airline connections just by doing ramp part time. Its a surprisingly small industry. It could help with fastracking into charters while you continue your freelance.

Thank you for the advice Justin! I literally see just piloting a plane as a valuable skill. I too am not interested in working for the next 12 years at one airline with the hopes of making 6-figures, which by that time will probably not be much due to inflation.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
January 2023 Update

The first half of January I was fully focused on studying for my final aviation exams. It was a real do-or-die situation for me to pass them as I was approaching the time limit. I passed and after a few days of relaxation and taking care of other tasks. I resolved to do the following in the last few days of Jan:

Results:

1. I've decided on web development. It's something I have been doing for years and by no means I am an expert, but I realise I have a knack for it and have helped tons of people. I have a number of business ideas that would need web development and lots of code to become a reality.
2. I set-up a "Coming Soon" landing page on my personal website. Though I haven't started developing it yet.
3. Everything is listed. But haven't managed to sell anything from my posts. Selling stuff online is an area I find difficult.

February 2023 Plan

New Habits:

-
Wake up at 6:30am daily. Be in bed before 10:30pm (Started this week and going well. I want to gradually wake up even earlier).
- Use GoalSumo.com.com on a daily basis.

I have begun using GoalSumo.com to start writing down my dream, mid-term and short-term goals. I am just getting the hang of things and will need to keep fine tuning my plan.

Feb Action Plan

I envision I'm going to do a bit of flying lessons this Feb. So in my remaining time, I'm going to focus my efforts on helping people on a daily basis. I anticipate I'll be getting lots of business ideas doing this.

I need to brush up my own web development skills, so I'll be working on creating new and updated personal website. Apart from that, I will help a former client (a serious entrepreneur) do a website transfer. Few days ago I was chatting with him via email and offered to help solve his problem for free by getting his website off Shopify and onto another CMS. Today he agreed and gave me access to his site.

1. Get new personal website up.
2. Help former client with site transfer.
3. Idea mapping for business ideas I have (stuff that has Fastlane potential)

(I feel my action plan isn't complete yet. There's so much more I'd like to do, and in the coming days and weeks, I hope to update it with more serious actions).

Miaminvice777

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 5, 2022
you should try selling website starter kits or code files. People can go on your website, pick out a template download the files and customize it at their will through VS code assuming they have a basic knowledge of HTML/CSS. I've noticed a lot of people out there don't want strings attached or continuing fees with subscription services lot of these websites like Shopify and Wix push on people so it could be a good idea.

Sorry if my grammar is off lol

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
you should try selling website starter kits or code files. People can go on your website, pick out a template download the files and customize it at their will through VS code assuming they have a basic knowledge of HTML/CSS. I've noticed a lot of people out there don't want strings attached or continuing fees with subscription services lot of these websites like Shopify and Wix push on people so it could be a good idea.

Sorry if my grammar is off lol

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at providing done for you services right now, rather than asking clients to customise anything. However if I see a need, I definitely will consider making digital products.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
First week of Feb 2023 Update

1. Get new personal website up.
2. Help former client with site transfer.
3. Idea mapping for business ideas I have (stuff that has Fastlane potential)

1. Done! My one-page personal website is up. It's embarassingly simple, but I coded it with HTML and Bootstrap and got it done in less than a day.
2. Done. Moved a simple site from Shopify to WordPress. Client was happy with my work!
3. Not started, but I have an idea for a website I want to start. It's time to make a decision and take some action.

My goal is £3000/month. Right now I'm in a position to sell my services and/or launch a business.

To sell websites or website related services. I will need to do two things:

1. Talk to People and pitch solutions.
2. Create, Create and Create. Then showcase it.

So far I have reached out to a few people in my personal circle, offering a free website / website service to keep me improving my skills. I have restarted a Udemy course on making custom WordPress themes. My objective is to build a killer custom theme for my personal website. Doing this to improve my web dev abilities and showcase my work.

Alongside this, on the aviation side of things I will have to redo 13 commercial pilot exams, as I've decided to get a UK pilot's license, alongside my European one.

With all this on my plate I have to become ruthless with how my time is spent!

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Hi Everyone,

My strengths:

My weaknesses:

Where are you doing your pilots license? In the UK?

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Feb 2023 Update:

Woke up today, Saturday morning just feeling absolutely spent.

Over the last 2 weeks,

- I've been going through a web dev course and continuously improved my personal website, whilst learning how to use Git along with more complex HTML/CSS.
- Sold $200 of things I'm not using in my home on various marketplaces.
- Had a flying lesson followed by a week of full-day mandatory online classes for my aviation exams.

Overall I'm not satisfied with how I'm progressing in business. I didn't pick up any new clients and didn't really prospect for new ones with all that has been going on.

On the habits front however, things are going good. At the beginning of February I said I'll do the following:

February 2023 Plan

New Habits:

-
Wake up at 6:30am daily. Be in bed before 10:30pm (Started this week and going well. I want to gradually wake up even earlier).
- Use GoalSumo.com.com on a daily basis.

I'm now waking up at 6am daily, which gives me time to do some business related work before I go about my day. Using Goalsumo everyday is a game changer. It reminds me multiple times a day about the tasks I want to achieve and how they are connected to bigger goals.

Observations over the last month:

Lots of time spent learning in various areas such as web dev, aviation, business, self-improvement. I'll be doing a lot of it this year, especially in aviation.

Making sales makes me very happy. Even if it's a small amount.

Journaling is a great tool. Having this forum to post my progress really keeps me accountable. It's inspiring to see the stories of so many other entrepreneurs here.

Over the next few days I'll be finishing a flying module and travelling quite a bit. I will need to get clear on my most important tasks and priorities because right now I'll admit I feel a little lost at times.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
March 2023 Update

Life update: I'm moved to the UK.

Last few weeks I spent packing up and sorting stuff out at home in Portugal, and it took a few days to come here driving through Spain.

I have spent a lot of time in the UK, I know a lot of great people and my family now lives here too. So for me this country feels like home and works well for me now.

Business wise, I have only being doing website maintenance for an existing client and had a call with a previous client, who I plan to work with over the course of this year. With moving country, studying and full-day classes this week I could not take on anything more.

April 2023 Plan

- 4 out of 13 UK commercial pilot exams
- Finish last week of mandatory distance learning classes

I really want to be working and executing on something big right now. However, I know the quicker I get done with these exams, the sooner I can go all in.

Also when I achieve the commercial pilot's license here, it'll be a valuable skill and can open up new business opportunities. I will continue to post monthly updates and my learnings.

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Shamless plug: try GoalSumo.com.com to define and execute your plan! I use it daily.
Just checked out the website and I really like the idea! Will probably sign up and give it a try.

Just out of curiosity, I saw a quote from you on the website and wanted to know if that is one of your new business ventures?

mamamargaux

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 24, 2022
Can relate to you. Grew up in a well-off household. slacked off half my life so I am in debt because I squandered it all. Wish I read MJ de Marco's books decades ago. Goodluck on your path to being a pilot.

SpinnerRedPenny

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 20, 2023
USA or Europe
current student pilot close to getting a commercial pilot's license.
@The Racing Driver if you plan to stay in Europe for your flying career, make certain to become extremely familiar and comfortable with instrument flying.

There were months in the winter over here my bros and I were the only people who saw the sun. That was assuming the weather was good enough for us to take off in the first place. Sometimes not even we got to see it.

It was almost as bad as sea fog summers in Japan and worse than the perennial haze in Korea.

One fellow I know here just transitioned out of the A380 with Lufthansa (I think he went to the A350 but don't quote me on that). Another close friend got his JAA PPL some years ago but went back to the US for his ATP and just got picked up by Frontier Airlines. They may be good sources of info for you.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
@The Racing Driver if you plan to stay in Europe for your flying career, make certain to become extremely familiar and comfortable with instrument flying.

There were months in the winter over here my bros and I were the only people who saw the sun. That was assuming the weather was good enough for us to take off in the first place. Sometimes not even we got to see it.

It was almost as bad as sea fog summers in Japan and worse than the perennial haze in Korea.

One fellow I know here just transitioned out of the A380 with Lufthansa (I think he went to the A350 but don't quote me on that). Another close friend got his JAA PPL some years ago but went back to the US for his ATP and just got picked up by Frontier Airlines. They may be good sources of info for you.

Yes, I just passed my multi-engine rating test and started instrument rating flight training few weeks ago. In the next couple of months I plan to finish a Multi-Engine IR rating and my CPL. Thanks for the tip!

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Mid-2023 Update

Sorry for the radio silence. I wanted to post more often, but I did almost nothing other than study over the last 3 months to get the 13 aviation exams done and dusted. I also did a fair bit of flight training as well.

Q2 2023 Achievements

- UK Commercial Pilot Exams (COMPLETE! With 92% average)
- Multi Engine Rating (Done. I can now fly a twin aircraft)
- In June, earned $300 from two clients for a small amount of website work that I did alongside studying for my exams.

Q3 Plan

- Finish my commercial pilot license training (About 70 hours of flight time left)
- Continue doing freelance work. Aim to increase income from my existing 2 clients. Maybe try to land one more?
- Build a custom theme for my personal website on Wordpress.

Flight training is time consuming and I'll be moving to another country to finish it. In the next 3-4 months, if all goes well I should have my commercial pilot's license.

In terms of freelancing, I have a good relationship with my two clients and fully manage their websites. I could see myself doing more and earning more from them, but I know my time is limited this quarter.

I'll be developing my existing skillset by upgrading my personal website. Website Development is something I’m relatively good at and can get better at.

My North Star is still £3000 per month. By 2023 end, I want to hit this income by having a job as a pilot, selling a digital /physical product, and building a CENTS based business.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
July 2023 Update

The last couple of weeks have gone by fast! I was doing a lot of flight training, preparing to leave the UK, and travelling for several days I drove from the UK to Portugal.

In terms of earnings, Client 1 paid me £315 for several months website maintenance. Client 2 paid me £100 for some website content updates. I’m hardly making anything, and I was thinking of changing course as I was feeling the web dev space is saturated.

However, after speaking to another fellow forum member. I realised I was holding myself back. People are already paying me to help them, and if there are other people who could benefit from my skills. I’m doing them a disservice by not offering my value to them.

To grow my income, I need to start by removing bottlenecks.

Biggest bottleneck: I have too few clients.

Now that I’ve finished some work for my two current clients, I don’t have much lined up to do for the following days.

Challenge: Send 100 proposals (2/100 Sent)

I intend to use the following sources to find leads.

- Upwork
- Past clients
- Cold-email clients in the same area that I’m working in.

It’s hard to put a time frame on this, I’m aiming to get to 100 by end-August, but I won’t stop until I’ve hit this number. Then I can analyse and adjust.

Providing lots of value in proposals can easily take me an hour or two per proposal and I don’t know how much time I’ll have in the coming weeks to acquire more clients, but I will work on sharpening the saw: my web-dev skills and sales skills.

As I write this, I’m at home Portugal where I’ll be volunteering at an event next week. I’m kinda on holiday but also working at the same time. In early August, I'll be moving to another country to begin flight training to get my Instrument Rating.

Reflection

I’ll be turning 27 in under 2 months. I still have so much work to do on my identity. Family conditioning has strengthened my beliefs that I need a good job in order to succeed, and that I can’t succeed as an entrepreneur starting from nothing.

I have consequently been doing really well in my pilot training, and under-performing business wise. I’ve been adopting the identity of “Aspiring Pilot” instead of Entrepreneur. This needs to change.

SpinnerRedPenny

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jun 20, 2023
USA or Europe
I drove from the UK to Portugal
I know ferries have enabled this for decades, but it still astounds me that humans can move themselves by car or rail from one island to another. Whether it's UK-Continent via the 'Chunnel,' or Denmark-Sweden via the bridges and tunnels, or the Seikan Tunnel that connects Honshu-Hokkaido; what marvels have humans accomplished that make life better by enabling commerce and travel!

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
August 2023 Update

August has been an amazing month. The first week I spent volunteering at a huge event in Lisbon.

Then went to spend 5 weeks in Spain for flight training, where I ended up passing my Multi-Engine Instrument check ride earlier this week. The instrument rating was intense and drained me completely, but I passed it!

Business wise, I helped one client with an investor presentation. Kept getting asked for favors, then eventually said ok my base rate is $30/hour and guy was totally cool with that. I never made money from doing a PowerPoint presentation in my life, but the client values my skills, expertise, and problem-solving skills.

As for the following challenge I set for myself earlier, I only managed to send 3 proposals in total, and got one response.

Challenge: Send 100 proposals (2/100 Sent)

Far short of my goal for 100 in August, which was highly unrealistic, considering how much time I need to dedicate to studying, preparing for flights, and doing flight training.

Learning wise, I met lots of new people, learnt a ton about aviation and spotted a few needs in the market. Also improved my Spanish a great deal.

August and September so far has been full of learning, networking and challenges. Now for these last two weeks of September, I'm gonna work towards making up for all the time lost over the last couple of weeks with more outreach and other projects to raise my value in the market.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
Q3 2023 Review

At the start of the 3rd quarter, I aimed to:

Q3 Plan

- Finish my commercial pilot license training (About 70 hours of flight time left)
- Continue doing freelance work. Aim to increase income from my existing 2 clients. Maybe try to land one more?
- Build a custom theme for my personal website on Wordpress.

How did it go?

- Good. Most difficult part done. I only have around 40 hours of flight time left.
- I continued working with my existing 2 clients. Didn't land any new ones.
- Didn't start. Just wasn't a high enough priority. Helping my clients was a bigger priority.

It's clear, I've been really committed to my flight training . If I don't study or give it my best, it could mean repeating modules which could cost me thousands of pounds/euros more. Luckily almost everything has been going quite well training wise so far.

Q4 2023 Plan - The Final Push

The reality is, in the coming 3-months, I'm going to try my best to finish everything that I need to, to apply for my CPL.

October is going to be busy with a 3-week Multi-Crew Cooperation Course, along with more flight training.

In November and December I'm going to do whatever I can to get the required flight time and finish the last module to get my Commercial Pilot's license.

On the business side of things, I will continue helping my current clients and find ways to provide more value to them. I will post any updates here.

New Habit for Q4: Have a written schedule and list every day, prepared the night before. Eliminate uncertainty of how I will allocate my time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.