The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2019 Fastlane Summit - Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Im a conspiracy nut so Ill get this out of the way. I may be wrong and Im just stating my opinion. So far the conference has been canceled twice this only drums up more interest for next year's conference. That means more sales at higher prices. *Takes off tin foil hat*

If Im wrong here are my two cents. The old mediums of sharing information are dying. Information has been condensed to a few channels so general information hubs like this forum just don't have the same appeal anymore. Also the presentation of information is now made to appeal to the masses. It translates to simpler and short stories and Minimalist websites that are clutter free on a smartphones screen. People's attention span can't handle the long posts of a forum and all the clutter. Change is a scary thing specially when money is involved because that's the energy we need to survive. And this is one of MJs money trees.

It's hard to hand over the keys to other mediums that are more popular than your own home on the internet. But sometimes you just have to play with your competitors. It's just business. That means investing money on your YouTube, Instagram and Facebook channels. This will always be your home and those that appreciate the fastlane forum will be here actively participating. I know I do.

It's also about centralization/decentralization. As of now the fastlane community is centralized around MJ. It must be great to have centralized power because you control every aspect of the community.
But you can keep it centralized and still have a decentralized layer under it. This decentralized layer is what gives more power to the centralized one.

There's a need right now for in person interaction. Through our phones we engage with other humans only through one sense the majority of times and those are the eyes. But humans have the need to engage all of our senses. That's why cults, religions, and political parties are such strong power points in the world. It brings people together.

As we speak I'm been suckered in into a MLM company because Amway has gotten smart. It's no longer about selling peoducts anymore is about forming a community and helping individuals grow. They do their best to market themselves as a community for like minded individuals and not a company that sells drinks. They are changing with the times and that's a smart move. *I'm not promoting Amway nor am I a member of the company*

So why not decentralized the fastlane Meetup and form smaller weekly/monthly meet ups in cities around the country? Weekly/monthly in person official meetups that later on add up to one grand summit meetup a year? This will allow you to know how many people will attend the submit meet up ahead of time and a long list of nominated speakers from each region.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest58302

And this is one of MJs money trees.
I don’t think so.
If I was interested in "serious money" I wouldn't be running a forum and selling a ten dollar book. Instead I'd be doing what everyone else is doing, $10K seminars, free trainings, blah blah. Or I'd start another business (and not be bothered with a publishing company/forum/book/helping people).

This forum is my platform for my message which supports my purpose.

And yea, it doesn't pay that well.

The ads, subscriptions, etc, simply give me a better return on my time, instead of it being a full on charity.

On the topic of forums: There’s something you get out of reading a forum that you don’t experience with short blasts of dopamine from other mediums. (I think that) Making the forum appeal to the mainstream market would be a massive downgrade in quality. The people that would use this mainstream forum would be people who care more about events than processes. Especially if they couldn’t put in the effort to read and write a few paragraphs and go through page after page to unearth gold.

I just gotta say that there has to be a better way to incorporate mobile functions to this forum. I made this post in mobile, and frankly it was quite a pain. (Mainly because of the text being condensed in a scrollable box). I’m aware that MJ is having trouble finding alternatives that fix these issues and I hope that such improvements wouldn’t come at the cost of forum functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I don’t think so.

On the topic of forums: There’s something you get out of reading a forum that you don’t experience with short blasts of dopamine from other mediums. (I think that) Making the forum appeal to the mainstream market would be a massive downgrade in quality. The people that would use this mainstream forum would be people who care more about events than processes. Especially if they couldn’t put in the effort to read and write a few paragraphs and go through page after page to unearth gold.

I just gotta say that there has to be a better way to incorporate mobile functions to this forum. I made this post in mobile, and frankly it was quite a pain. (Mainly because of the text being condensed in a scrollable box). I’m aware that MJ is having trouble finding alternatives that fix these issues and I hope that such improvements wouldn’t come at the cost of forum functionality.

Never mind this been one of his money trees. But still it's a big part of his business since this is the home of the fastlane.

Well if you don't appeal to the bigger market it'll stay small like it is and there won't be a 2019 summit next year either since nobody would know about. Thats why there's moderators to get the low quality posts into the landfill. Bye bye the ones that only care about events.

Yeah everyone agrees that the ease of use of the forum on mobile is a big disadvantage. I actually typed all that on my mobile and it took me like 30 minutes. It's hard to type when the font size is so small. Also sometimes the cursor goes somewhere else and it scrambles all the words together. I read this forum everyday during my downtime while at work on my phone. There's been many instances where I want to contribute or start a thread but ultimately I don't because the hassle of typing on a mobile. Once I get home to my PC I have forgotten about it or get distracted with other things.

G

Guest58302

Never mind this been one of his money trees. But still it's a big part of his business since this is the home of the fastlane.

Well if you don't appeal to the bigger market it'll stay small like it is and there won't be a 2019 summit next year either since nobody would know about. Thats why there's moderators to get the low quality posts into the landfill. Bye bye the ones that only care about events.

Yeah everyone agrees that the ease of use of the forum on mobile is a big disadvantage. I actually typed all that on my mobile and it took me like 30 minutes. It's hard to type when the font size is so small. Also sometimes the cursor goes somewhere else and it scrambles all the words together. I read this forum everyday during my downtime while at work on my phone. There's been many instances where I want to contribute or start a thread but ultimately I don't because the hassle of typing on a mobile. Once I get home to my PC I have forgotten about it or get distracted with other things.

Usually if I think of something I need to or want to write on the forum without desktop access, I use my iPhone’s Notes app and I don’t find that as troublesome to use. Granted, I don’t write down everything. Usually just sentences meshed with keywords. Then I type out what I wanted to later.

There are definitely ways of making posting easier on mobile, though of course it will always be easier on a keyboard.

You’re making good points with appealing to the bigger market and people’s appeal to face to face interactions. From what I’ve gathered, it seems that some people have ‘outgrown’ the forum. Getting them to re-engage and figuring out how to tap into the mainstream market correctly are hurdles that this forum needs to overcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So I just had a meeting Friday with my full staff of my engineering company. We recently did not hit sales goal targets. I called a meeting to 'identify the issue(s) and then put together a plan to fix it'. Morale was down, participation was down, everyone was frustrated and confused.

Funny thing is, the end result of the meeting? I was not being clear to the crew what I wanted.

Once I let them know exactly what I wanted, in what form I wanted it, and why I wanted it ........ they took over and put together a plan to get things back on track including what part I would have in that plan. I am now fully confident my company will meet its goals and live long after I am gone.

@MJ DeMarco what do you want?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Alllllright... this is getting a little off-topic...

And let me clear things up for those of you who don't know our humor or personalities.
  • We were joking about doing it in Panama. The event would be held at the Talking Stick Resort like it has been.
  • There would not ACTUALLY be pitchers of Vodka on the table.
  • We would not ACTUALLY enforce a 2 to 1 female to male ratio.
@MJ DeMarco I understand the hesitation. It's a lot of trouble for something that doesn't directly affect the community.

And *I* know what comes with events like these. The financial risk, the organization, etc. etc.

But, listen, we're just gong to put it on @GlobalWealth credit card so it'll be fine.

If you do want us to help out, we're not just able... we're willing!

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
Super disappointed about the decision, but I understand. I also see the other side that if there's value, then why cancel it?

I'm no doubt one of the people MJ is referring to. But just to be perfectly honest, the two meetups I've attended are by far the biggest thing that brings me back. There was so much value in those meetups that I feel guilty for not posting updates. Like Chris S said, shame is not very effective. If I were ashamed, I would just avoid it altogether and move on. The feeling of guilt that I have taken value and not contributed enough is far more influential.

I actually have a 4k word post ready to go about my first business that I just sold and another one started about my brewery. Unfortunately, right as I was about to start posting again, I lost my brother who was also our president. I didn't feel like I was in the right place to contribute and I had to fly half-way around the world to try and keep the business functioning. It took 9 months to get back on track, so here I am. (Lesson learned: make sure you have key man insurance for situations like this)

I also agree that the forum could benefit by evolving with the community. In regards to boosting engagement, one idea I haven't heard is some sort of incentive or reward program for top level contributors. Or maybe if there was a way to use the rep points in the store for INSIDERS subscription, books, etc. Could also use rep points for access to sanctioned events. Basically a loyalty program.

Either way, I'd be willing to help out and shoulder some of the financial burden. We organize 4 major events every year and host all kinds of private gatherings so I know what this takes. I doubt there would be much interest in Houston as a location, but we could use my brewery for the venue. That would probably have to be during the week since we do 80% of our business on Friday through Sunday. That's probably a deal killer. Just wanted to make the offer just in case. If there's a chance we can get this going, I'd love to help.

Last edited:

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
There’s something you get out of reading a forum that you don’t experience with short blasts of dopamine from other mediums. (I think that) Making the forum appeal to the mainstream market would be a massive downgrade in quality.

Chatrooms = Events

Forum = Process

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You guys are all over the place in responses. Some of it isn't going to help the situation...

First off, this is a shitty situation, and there is probably a better way to do it. Asking everyone for help, is likely to yield the most positive results. There are enough people here with enough pull, to completely change things around if all worked in unison, and MJ desires it first and foremost.

Second, after thinking about this for a day or so, the reality is that the event popularity, will likely never result in any positive or negative change in forum participation on an annual average. Sure a blip here or a blip there, but it's not like the Summit is making a dent in driving new signups or long term participation.

Those suggesting that by changing Event X, will change Forum Y... it just isn't that type of equation unfortunately. If everyone treated them as two separate businesses, it would probably make the outcome a lot more understandable for everyone involved. (many ways to proceed from there, but all a waste of time unless it's something MJ wants to do at all, be compensated for, etc...)

Sooooo, now that I have zero pulse on whether or not this is just pissing the bossman off, or he's chuckling over a Corona wondering how the F*ck he got into this mess, can we just F*cking fly to PHX and just eat pancakes and drink beer together FFS!?! :p

** on a serious note, if anyone (MJ, mods, etc..) needs volunteers to organize, fund, whatever... anything in the future, just message me I'll give you my cell and am happy to help.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A lot of people stating the reason for their lack of engagement on the forum is due to noise, clutter, etc. I've commented on this in the past. Believe it or not, this is an issue that has been brought up a few times before.

It always takes me by surprise to read comments like this. How this comes across to me is, "there is nothing here that benefits me so I'm out.". IOW, I only care for what's in it for me. I understand the frustration of seeing incredibly cluttered forum posts and nonsense threads by people who are either jockeying for forum attention/rep or just too lazy to google or do a simple forum search.

However, be the change you seek in this forum.

Has the books, forums, and meetups not enriched and impacted your life to such a degree that you don't feel compelled to return the favor and pay it forward?

Some things are worth the time, effort and investment. Frankly, there is no other place like this on the internet. Period.

I call BS on those of you who claim your decreased involvement is due to archaic software, bad mobile experience, etc. "Serve me in exactly how I wish or I'm not interested." This is not Facebook. This is not Reddit. This is an oasis and is worthy of protecting and engaging in.

Don't like the experience of using a forum built on software that refuses to catch up? Suck it up, buttercup. It's worth the hassle.

Tired of the noise and clutter? Post something that helps someone else. Give back. Pay it forward.

Thanks to @GlobalWealth and @Kung Fu Steve and a couple others for offering to step up to keep the event alive.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Really sucks to hear, but I understand where the decision comes from.

MJ's book and forum was crucial for me starting as a complete newbie. And the meet up was the catalyst for me making some life changing decisions that finally lead me to hit some success.

Since then, I'm one of those guilty of contributing less on the forum...

But to be completely honest, after I made some money I got more and more paranoid. My stuff was being copied and I was reluctant to share things with strangers I haven't met. I only kept things to people I trusted, many of those are from this forum whom I've met in person.

On top of that, life just got so much busier in every aspect imaginable, probably because I still suck at systematizing things and freeing myself...

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
This is not Facebook. This is not Reddit. This is an oasis and is worthy of protecting and engaging in.

Amen to that.

People don't value things until they loose them.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • I was really looking forward to the 2019 Summit
  • My vacation days were being saved up specifically for the 2019 Summit
  • I am putting my name in the hat to speak(even though I don't feel like I qualify) and volunteer for setup/logistics
  • I have gotten such valuable advice from people on this forum
  • I am at the finish line with creating $$$ value from my real estate build
  • That being said, I'm definitely on the 2020 Summit hype train too

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sorry folks I haven't responded to all the comments, but after reading some of them I thought it would be best I left for a few days so I could maintain a fact-based response over an emotional one.

Now that I'm back, I'm going to temporarily LOCK this thread so I can respond to some of the comments.

However, let me just start with this...

Two years ago when I canceled the EVENT because my HEALTH was POOR, no one questioned it. The decision was respected and I was met with well-wishes and prayers for better health and recovery. No one said, "Lets do the event anyway!" and everyone accepted it for what it was. The standard response was pretty much, "Sorry to hear it, lets hope things for you are better next year!" To which they were and the event went off.

Yet when I cancel this year's event because the FORUM's health is POOR, many people are questioning it. Few are addressing the reason-- the forum--and everyone is focused on salvaging the event, to spite the forum. So in other words, lets forget about the primary reason for the cancellation (outside of the other things I cited) and lets do an end-around so we can keep this thing going... kinda like "lets ignore the disease but fix the symptom."

From another perspective...

I view this as me canceling an ANNUAL PARTY at my HOUSE because my HOUSE has a leaky roof that needs repair and instead of everyone RESPECTING the decision and/or addressing the HOUSE, they want to ignore it and still have the PARTY - so X will bring the Red Solo Cups, Y will bring the Beer, and everything will be great! Because I enjoy it and I love getting together! Wait, there's a problem with your house? Who cares, we EXPECT this event, and no matter what condition your home is in, you need to have it! Who cares about the leaky roof? We'll bring an umbrella!

Another perspective...

Imagine every year you HOST a PARTY at your HOME with your friends. Every year the party is a smashing success and you continue to HOST it because your HOME is large enough to HOST it. Every year you thank your friends for coming and you hope to continue your relationship with them. Except you realize that you rarely see or hear from most of your friends except at the party. And then when you tell your friends that your HOME is having some challenges (not because they've visited your home recently, but because of FB gossip), they don't really seem to care about your home, but they still want to use your home to have their party, and many of them will vigorously defend their perceived and entitled right to have it.

I'm sure that would make a lot of you pretty pissed.

And that's why I had to leave Friday afternoon.

As for the speculative and fact-lacking comments "It sells out in minutes! How can it be a risk?!" Ill get to that too...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In reading this thread, I can't help but feel like I am/we are being shamed about not posting regularly. Based on other's comments, I think they feel the same.

I apologize to you (and anyone else) if that is your interpretation. Truth is, that was my fear when ultimately opting to be transparent and open about the state of the forum.

But the simple reality remains, this event is a by-product of the forum and its level of engagement and activity.

The forum community has always been my primary driver for doing this, and the recent history of events shows that the benefit has not had a lasting impact on the forum. The issue isn't a question of "does it benefit people" (it does) but it doesn't appear to have a meaningful impact here.

I take responsibility for it as ultimately the medium for which attendees have to use is the forum and it's software. If connection and content discovery isn't easy, then it will always be an uphill battle.

I disagree with MJ about the summit and its cancellation on many points, except the part where if you don't want to do it, you shouldn't do it.

Yes, I said I didn't want to do it as one of the reasons, all of which circle back to this community.

For one, the financial commitment being a huge risk. This event for the past 5+ years has always sold out.

Facebook Comments said:
How can it be a risk? It always sells out!!

This past year, tickets sold out within hours, and there were threads 10+ pages long begging for tickets. I understand putting your own finances at risk for this event, but judging from historical ticket sales, the risk is negligible.

Funny how people are commenting from their perspective of holding an event at Days Inn for 40 people where you could just usher them into a restaurant and pay for their dinner.

As for the event selling out, of course it SELLS OUT, the price has been kept artificially low and at its current cost structure, the event absolutely MUST sell out. Not only that, the attendees MUST purchase rooms at the hotel.

The risk in this comes from the EXPENSE side, mandatory FOOD and ROOM requirements.

It sucks that I have to detail the details because it makes me sound cheap, but you folks have left me no choice but to do so...

Just to give you an example, the casino charges for COFFEE by the gallon. Yup, by the gallon and this year it is $70 gallon, an 8% increase since last year. You know how much the simple amenity of coffee cost last year? A whopping $2,365.

Did anyone last year have the LUXURY of having a sushi roll for lunch? Each Sushi roll cost $8. Nope, you're not reading that incorrectly, 8 freaking bucks.

I thought having sushi at lunch would be a nice amenity so I ordered 100 rolls, for total cost of nearly $1000 (plus tax, grat, resort fees)

Within 5 minutes, they were gone (about 20 people through the line, some folks grabbed 2 and 3 rolls) and I couldn't reasonably order any more unless I wanted to go bankrupt.

Incidentally, the casino raised food prices by an average of 10% since the last event.

And then there's the audio/video set up provided by the casino -- it costs MORE to hire the casino to do it than it does to actually buy the equipment itself. But due to convenience and support, you have no choice but to pay the piper.

But meh, the event sells out!

In order for me to accept the risk, the ticket prices would need to skyrocket, or significant services (food) would need to be cut.

Of all people Kenric, you should know. You told me that some big seminar in Austin took a loss because the event organizer sold out tickets, but didn't sell out rooms.

If people who attend don't book rooms, I have to buy them. Yup, each and everyone one of them.

While we didn't have a problem with room bookings in the last 2 years events, the forum also performed differently 2 years ago. Likewise, historically getting speakers to speak never was an issue. The lack of response on that thread (and then following on the THIS thread until someone posted it on FB) indicates the issue I'm trying to articulate to everyone.

The forum as a stand-alone resource was enough to attract speakers, as well as a fast sell out.

It was a moderate risk 2 years ago. This year, it is a bigger risk beyond moderate and beyond my comfort.

It makes it feel like we need to earn the event, and it doesn't sit well with me.

If anyone has *earned* the event, it is you; but in the most simplistic terms, if the forum dies, the event dies. (At least as it is named and spearheaded here, I'm sure it could go on if organized elsewhere)

The event was never positioned as a reward, or a "cake" but as a function of the forum.

At this point, I feel if I announced that the forum was shutting down and closing up for good, people wouldn't give a shit except to say, "OMG, but what about our event in February?!?"

but if that's where people are, you can't try to pull them back to something they don't naturally go to. This is a losing battle.

I'm not trying to pull them back, if I was, I'd be on Facebook.

Does it really matter that the camaraderie stays on the forum?

I doubt you'd hold a very stressful dog rescue event that you perceive as growing in risk, and ultimately doesn't rescue dogs.

Would I continue to hold a forum event that seemingly doesn't benefit the forum?

One that I find immensely stressful?

I feel that I'm now EXPECTED to hold a party every year, no matter what the state of the forum is.

You state "The forum... ...still retains its fundamental purpose which is derived from my purpose to inspire people to live their best through business ownership."

Guess what, the event does the exact same thing, once a year.

Yes, and the forum needs to be that engine, not the event.

I'm telling folks what the HEART of the problem is, instead you are insisting that a short burst of adrenaline (the event) will solve the problem because well, you get that adrenaline every year. And everyone has fun!!

Additionally, the event's audience is already on the entrepreneurial train, they're not there to GET ON, they're there to move it faster. No one goes to the event a full-fledged Slowlaner and leaves, "OMG, this concept of Unscripted Entrepreneurship really sounds interesting, IM IN!"

If you look at other annual entrepreneurial events that many people repeatedly go to year after year, there are no prerequisites that one must participate somewhere to be eligible to attend.

For the record, I never said anything about prerequisites.

I stated facts about forum engagement.

Shouldn't it be satisfying enough

Kenric, what satisfies you is different than what satisfies me.

You like to travel to Africa, I don't.

That doesn't mean my reasons of not flying to Africa any less right or wrong.

You're projecting your values onto mine.

I think for long term sustainability, the Forum and Summit meetups go hand in hand. It definitely helps me to identify better with like-minded people, and keeps me coming back because I respect not only what they have to say but see their growth and accomplishments.

There is no argument on this fact. But if 2% find the forum and the event interlinked (like you do), but the other 98% do not, my point should become clear.

That being said, I agree with the sentiment that if the community wants it, let there be SOMETHING.

What part of the *community* are you referring to? The one at Facebook, Slack, and Discord? Or the one that is actually here? The event won't solve the core issue with respect to the forum's health (outside of the few week bandaid) and that as the years go by, it doesn't appear to have a sustainable impact... why would it suddenly change?

We're on page 4 of this, and what I haven't seen yet is a single person who is advocating the continuance step up and offer to run it. I am not stating that MJ would actually go for that (I don't know... we haven't spoken about it) but I do find it interesting that several are telling him it's the wrong decision, but not offering to be part of the solution.

It ran fine for a few years without MJ, (but the Houston one @Kak did and the stories are epic) and it could again. MJ wanted control of it, but perhaps if someone else stepped up and ran it with his blessing and armchair involvement ya'all could still make it happen. I am not speaking with authority to bless it, but just mindful of the fact that he's decided not to do it.

Appreciate the alternative option, but it doesn't address the core issue. Forum engagement -- the event has become an entity upon its own.

I view this as me canceling an ANNUAL PARTY at my HOUSE because my HOUSE has a leaky roof that needs repair and instead of everyone RESPECTING the decision and/or addressing the HOUSE, they want to ignore it and still have the PARTY - so X will bring the Red Solo Cups, Y will bring the Beer, and everything will be great! Because I enjoy it and I love getting together! Wait, there's a problem with your house? Who cares, we EXPECT this event, and no matter what condition your home is in, you need to have it! Who cares about the leaky roof? We'll bring an umbrella!

I'm simply saying that the roof needs to be fixed before we consider the party.

As a follow up, Did you think this is where you would be at right now, 10 years ago when you were starting it, post RD forum era?

No, everything grew because the forum grew and the books did well. I went where the market took me. I didn't really expect the books to do so well.

At the end of the day, I get it-- the event is more important than the forum.

It is what it is, and it's just something I need to address.

Mobile engagement is a problem. Content discovery is a problem. This forum software (which hasn't evolved, thus I haven't either) is a problem.

These are all things that have been on my radar for sometime as I've been exploring a variety of things, from a full-fledged software change to a redesign.

Will this constitute "evolving?"

Who knows. I'm not the judge, the best I can do is put it out there into the market and let the market decide.

I have more to say as there are other comments still hanging...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Might be a few hours before I can address some of the other comments, thread re-opened...

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@MJ DeMarco what do you specifically want from the forum? what do you want the forum to be? is it the forum you want to build or the community around it? just found out in my business, if i am not clear with the staff what I personally want, then they will only be able to produce that result by chance.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Just to go a step further, @MJ DeMarco, I thought the summit was your yearly validation that you were making a difference in people's lives. Is it ad money and post count that you are after instead?

Am totally confused by what you want.

The forum has never been more active. Is it you just want to see a boost from the summit event? Then have old guard speak (pay them) and only allow new people to attend. That would boost the forum activity.

The old guard can then have a yearly reunion to see each other and connect and catch up.

Seems like competing interests if you limit ticket sales and the old guard buys them out........

Your 'forum activity' by 'date of joining' should confirm this. By a certain 'maturity', it seems a user is set in their forum participation ways ..... whether they attend a summit or not will not change that other than the boost around the event itself. Does your target audience for the summit need to change?

What is it you specifically want?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
MJ, Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Only a few points:
  1. Is the forum an aspect of the community? Or is the community the forum? It seems like you believe the latter, but most of us (your consumers, congregation, etc.) believe it to be the former.
  2. There seems to be a problem that the forum is not experiencing the level of engagement you've targeted for yourself. Does it make sense to sit down as a group of product thinkers and tear apart what's working and what isn't? Possibly, the solution is that we are evolving out of the forum being the solution to the community problem you were once solving. But we need to start with a conversation where that's a possibility to develop this product further.
  3. Sounds like the shape of these events may change (and may be a product that replaces or augments the forum in ways not previously anticipated). That may mean Talking Stick is not the best fit.
Overall, I think this is more of an opportunity to reflect on the problems in an emotionless way, vs. jumping to the conclusion that people aren't as engaged.

PS - Thanks for all your work on this forum and community. It is appreciated. Just trying to get to the bottom of this so it can evolve in a meaningful way.

jts

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 16, 2018
Berlin
After reading your message @MJ DeMarco I feel as if you pointed with the finger at me too when you talk about the lack of contributions (not so much related to the summit as such but in general).

"the reason for not contributing much yet is that I don't feel qualified enough to offer much help."

that's actually what i wanted to post just now. an excuse. and i also think its not true. even in my stage which is now starting to take on the small family business and make it grow & shine, I can share, provide advice and give feedback.

"I don't have much time."

While that's true, its probably true for the majority in this forum and therefore it is not really a reason.

I agree to my former speakers that an easier-to-handle-mobile-version would increase engagement with the forum and would allow for reading and writing during other times in the day.
Besides my business tryings, I am fulltime taking courses in online marketing/ SEO/ Wordpress and the value of a mobile friendly website cannot be underestimated.

Having said that, I am very happy to have checked the most popular threads of the week, to find your announcement and to understand it as a wake up call. Sometimes that's needed, despite having best intentions and much respect for this forum and its users.

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
I just read this thread this morning. Argggghhh. Thought I was feeling bad when my bathroom remodeling contractor couldn't/didn't show up this morning to start the project. Now I see that @MJ DeMarco has cancelled the Summit. Now, I'm just in a deep funk.

I fully understand his reasoning. And I am certainly not an an avid poster, more of an consistent reader, so I'm definitely part of the problem. However, the nature of my career and personality put face-2-face human interaction above all, and for that reason I'm very sad I'll have to wait a while to reconnect with the kick-a$$ people I met at the Summit. Especially you, MJ.

Your product, your show, your rules.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The forum has never been more active.

From your bystander point of view maybe it seems that way, not from actual analytics -- and I'm not going to reveal details here, but lets just say the analytics are clear as a Merlot stain on a white shirt...

Might be a few hours before I can address some of the other comments, thread re-opened...

+1

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
the event is more important than the forum.
I just wanted to say that the forum is more important to me than the event. There ̶m̶a̶y̶ will be many more who think so too.

EDIT: And maybe those similar to me aren't engaging with this thread because the event isn't what they're here for?

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
From your bystander point of view maybe it seems that way, not from actual analytics -- and I'm not going to reveal details here, but lets just say the analytics are clear as a Merlot stain on a white shirt...

Then going with what @csalvato said, is the forum what you want to build or the community? What are the metrics we are trying to hit (and we haven't been hitting)?

And just to note, not worried about the summit for this year. I would like to help you build what you want as you have helped me in building what I want!

What is a 10 for you in this section of your wheel of life?

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
And just to note, not worried about the summit for this year. I would like to help you build what you want as you have helped me in building what I want!

What is a 10 for you in this section of your wheel of life?

@ZCP, you're a good man.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I just wanted to say that the forum is more important to me than the event. There may be many more who think so too.

EDIT: And maybe those similar to me aren't engaging with this thread because the event isn't what they're here for?

This forum is like the entrepreneurial library of Alexandria where anyone -- no matter their income, connections or education -- can come in and read scriptures filled with wisdom by great men and women who came before.

I don't blame MJ for prioritizing something that touches upon the lives of hundreds of thousands over an event that will, at most, benefit a couple hundred people. Especially if a majority of that group move their interactions off the community which granted them this opportunity.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I attended the February 2016 summit and it was amazing. 2016 was a great year for me personally, as I managed to exit the slow lane office environment and launch into my own hustle full time, and have survived off freelancing since then. I am at the point where I may not need to return to a full time job ever.

But my fastlane goals have hardly been progressed. Frankly, it feels embarrassing to have been apart of this forum for so long, have an understanding what I need to do, attended an actual summit, and read the books thoroughly only to come up short. I've cheated myself - I haven't taken the action I have needed to, been engaged with the process, or even really implement what I know.

As my fastlane goals have kind of withered and been shelved away, so has my willingness to even come to the forum. Its like my mind doesn't want to be reminded that this is possible and I've been postponing it by taking the easy rode. So here's to starting a progress thread today, holding myself accountable, and sharing what I can in order to once again become involved with the community. Sorry to be one of the many that were lucky enough to attend one of these amazing events yet not give anything back afterwards, because it truly was an exceptional weekend in terms of learning and opening my eyes. Its time to write that book, systematize and grow my web design and copywriting work, and finally get to real work on a brand I've been "working" on.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
I feel like there are a lot of notable contributors commenting on this thread, so I wanted to say that this thread has done a ton for me.

I have NOT started a Fastlane business yet, but thanks to the wealth of knowledge on so many things entrepreneurship, this forum has helped me earn thousands of dollars on my own. Not extraordinary to many people here by any means, but to me, the ability to sit in front of a laptop and make money come from it is fascinating.

So many people use it as a way to burn time and watch Netflix, go on FB, etc. I sometimes feel like its a superpower to turn this machine on, and make money come from my efforts when I use it. I haven't used it NEARLY to its full potential, but I enjoy the skill nonetheless.

I only wanted to post this because this thread makes me worry that this forum is somehow going away (which I don't see, since I see so much activity everyday), but I love being able to go on here and look at extremely valuable input from people who have been there, done that. I love looking at GOLD and NOTABLE threads and seeing how I can apply it ASAP.

I'm thrilled everytime I come here, basically. This is one of my favorite "corners" of the internet. I can only hope that so many others see it that way as well.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I lurked from RDPD, to the beginning here, until Oct 22, 2010. Didn't think i had anything to contribute.
Finally realized i needed to give back.

If you are lurking, time to de-lurk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads