The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2019 Fastlane Summit - Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
I'm trying to run my own first event, so I know the struggle of selling tickets. I've only been on the forum a short while, but I was already thinking about how to fly from my tiny island to Arizona to make it there. I can understand the stress of logistics and I wouldn't have even tried to host my own event if my wife didn't offer me a sweet discount on space in the hostel ;)

I think that people didn't sign up to be speakers because most people don't feel qualified. It was a little unclear to me until I read a later post that you really want as many people as possible to apply. I think the fear that you won't be good enough holds people back from applying.

Second, the lack of signups. Based on how active this forum is, I'm surprised that only 180 people went last year. From how my buddy MTF talks about it, I figured it was thousands.

There is a lot of value in a tight group that is in alignment meeting and I think it's very cool.

Maybe if there was a pre-sale window, kind of like a crowdfunding option. The event only triggers if you sell X tickets. So people sign up etc and only pay if enough tickets are sold. If you run the pre-sale in advance, then you have the revenue to cover the guarantee with the hotel before you have to pay that deposit.

I'd pay a deposit for a 2020 event right now. I only travel to USA in Feb each year, so the timing is good for me!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so I know the struggle of selling tickets.

I don't think you understand. Ticket sales were never a problem. Event would sell out fast, in hours.

I'm surprised that only 180 people went last year.

Again, read above. I probably could have had 500 people go if it was promoted and advertised.

Ticket sales wasn't the concern I made in the OP.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Some people decided to do a back-channel event that is/was being promoted at Facebook. (Kinda validating my original posit in the OP).

Holy... I am not organizing it but come on MJ. Back channeling? It doesn't validate the OP at all. It was promoted and organized mostly via email from what I got, and it was added everywhere but here to be respectful to your mission.

There isn't anything nefarious here, people want a meetup, you don't want to run it for good reason, they ran it anyway with total respect for your brand and guidelines. That is literally how the world works in the best case.

I've been here a long time, and I hope to be here for another 10+ years, but I can say that those attending and running the thing have the same utmost respect for you and TFL, and are owed it back.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It doesn't validate the OP at all.

Well then we disagree, which is OK.

I've been here a long time, and I hope to be here for another 10+ years, but I can say that those attending and running the thing have the same utmost respect for you and TFL, and are owed it back.

Of course I respect them, immensely so -- please don't take disagreement as an indication of disrespect.

There is a lot of value in a tight group that is in alignment meeting and I think it's very cool.

Agreed, but I operate a publishing company and a forum foremost, not a non-profit workshop/seminar business.

As I stated in the OP, right now the health of the forum is my primary concern.

Thread closed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!