The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

18-year old trying to figure (some) things out

Demian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 22, 2018
Hello all,

After browsing the forum for over a year now, I´ve finally decided to create an account and post here. If I didn´t do it until now, it was because I saw no use in introducing myself in a place where I would have no contributions whatsoever and decided I would only start posting when I had something useful and valuable to say.

I realize now it was a dumb thing to do because I was not giving myself the opportunity to ask for advice to all the wonderful contributors that post on this forum daily with their eye-opening perspectives. Nearing the end of the year, I´ve hit a point in my life where I guess I could use some advice.

I was born and have lived my whole life in Argentina. I live comfortably and all my needs have been and are being taken cared for by my parents. I finished high school last year and started a carreer in Business Administration in one of the most prestigious universities in South America.
When I finished reading TMF half-way through 2016 I was certain college was not the path I wanted to take and that somehow I would be a millionaire by 20.
When I raised my doubts about what to do to my father, he told me that the ONE thing (I read the book last week, it´s still fresh in my mind) that was NOT negotiable while living under his roof was that I had to pursue a "serious" career.

My first thought was to get out of there and head out on my own. Remember I was fired up after finishing MJ´s book and I thought, it was the easiest way to get the freedom and time to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams. But I decided against it.

At the time when I decided to obey the script, I thought I was doing it because I didn´t want to leave my comfort zone and that my wildest dreams about being financially free in my twenties would be just that, dreams.
A year later, I see the situation with different eyes.
  • By choosing a public university, I removed the pressure of having to perform well in order not to feel like I was wasting my parents´ money while still getting a quality education. (Public and quality in the same sentence? Yes, it was not a mistake. If you don´t believe me, google "Universidad de Buenos Aires")
  • I can surprisingly say that I enjoyed most of my time there, and met a lot of great people.
  • By obeying my parents, I got to keep my old lifestyle, including a roof, hot water, healty relationships, as well as access to a gym and several soccer fields (one of my passions). More importantly, I got to keep a steady Internet connection, which allowed me to, among other things, surf this forum.
  • I learnt a lot of new things, which was something I did not think was going to happen if I went to college.
  • I had the time to pursue and experiment with some business ideas, even though I have to admit I have nothing to show for it yet.

I guess I´m telling you this in case you find yourself in the dichotomy of choosing whether to go to college or not. From my limited experience, the situation will hardly be a black-or-white one. I found a way to go to college while still being able to enjoy it and pursue my interests at the same time. There´s a way if you´re willing to find one.

I´m not sure how much of what I´ve wirtten is considered an introduction, but I felt I had to post something in order to adopt an active stance on this forum.
Every reply will be greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...