The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Work is for Slowlaners

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
This short post is dedicated to our newest forum members.

I've been hearing multiple times that broke forum members who are living in a parent's basement don't wanna get a job, because, in their opinion, working for someone automatically labels them as slowlaners.

It's bullshit. Why? Let's illustrate:

John is working as an accountant. He wakes up 6am and takes 1h trip to job while listening to music. He starts at 8am and finishes 4pm. He's always in a hurry to get back home, because his favorite TV show starts at 5:30 and lasts for 3 hours. He spends his evenings drinking beer and watching TV show before hitting a sack. On weekends he's usually hanging in pub with mates or playing computer games while smoking weed. John spends all he earns on bills and entertainment and took a 30k credit to buy a new edition Ford Focus, so he could brag to his office friends about it.

Sam is a janitor. He takes 4h bus trip to get to work and back home while reading business books. He reads roughly 120 pages a day. Sam lives frugally and is slowly, but steadily building his venture on the side. He spends his evenings optimizing online shop and keeping in touch with clients and attends various business meetings over the weekend for networking purposes. He's still working, because he has bills to pay and put food into his belly, but the rest of funds are going into his venture and networking. He doesn't have a TV, doesn't smoke weed and is meditating and exercising on a daily basis.

John and Sam are both working. Would you put them in a single basket that has a label of a slowlane on them? Are they both slowlaners by default?

Do you still think getting a job qualifies you as a slowlaner by default?

Hint: It mostly depends on what you do outside work hours and how you use your funds. Choice is yours.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
A slowlaner is somebody that uses a job as a vehicle to wealth.

It can be argued, but when used properly, a job can create wealth. I think we have to see a big picture of a person's lifestyle. Good point anyways.

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
It can be argued, but when used properly, a job can create wealth. I think we have to see a big picture of a person's lifestyle. Good point anyways.
What job exactly can be used properly to create wealth? Is there a single job out there that could lead you to retiring 30 years early? Theres no leverage. You're constrained to the number of hours you work and what you get paid. Slowlane strategy uses frugality and wall street as a vehicle wealth. The unfortunate side is this consumes your entire life.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
What job exactly can be used properly to create wealth? Is there a single job out there that could lead you to retiring 30 years early? Theres no leverage. You're constrained to the number of hours you work and what you get paid. Slowlane strategy uses frugality and wall street as a vehicle wealth. The unfortunate side is this consumes your entire life.

Although it takes time to gain experience and education, there are many jobs that can help you retire at like 35-40. For instance, neurosurgeon. Of course, if you saved all the money.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Fastlane IMO is more of a mindset and I think that is what MJ tries to illustrate. Nobody just instantly becomes fastlane at least from a financial standpoint.

For example, I still have a slow lane job but have a fastlane mentality. I leverage my job income to fund my business to help it scale as quickly as possible.

Good point with your post.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Fastlane IMO is more of a mindset and I think that is what MJ tries to illustrate. Nobody just instantly becomes fastlane at least from a financial standpoint.

For example, I still have a slow lane job but have a fastlane mentality. I leverage my job income to fund my business to help it scale as quickly as possible.

Good point with your post.

That's exactly what I've tried to illustrate in my above post. Fastlane is like a proper eating - in order to be successful and experience permanent changes, you've to drill those principles into your head and turn them into your lifestyle.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Although it takes time to gain experience and education, there are many jobs that can help you retire at like 35-40. For instance, neurosurgeon. Of course, if you saved all the money.

Enter university at 18.
4 years undergrad puts you at 22
4 years med puts you at 26
3-5 post grad neurosurgeon training puts you at 29-31
Residence puts you at 33-35

Now youve likely got close to quarter a million in tuition to cover.

Tell me again if a surgeon retires at 40?

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Enter university at 18.
4 years undergrad puts you at 22
4 years med puts you at 26
3-5 post grad neurosurgeon training puts you at 29-31
Residence puts you at 33-35

Now youve likely got close to quarter a million in tuition to cover.

Tell me again if a surgeon retires at 40?

I see you have in-depth knowledge of it. I've no knowledge how long it takes to become neurosurgeon, nor Director of Engineering at Google/Apple/Facebook. What I am trying to say is some people make millions by working for somebody, so job per se can make one rich if money are saved properly.

I'm not advocating it. I'm just saying it's possible. All jobs are not equal.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I think one thing that we often miss with the concept of Fastlaning/Slowlaning is being and preparing where we want/know we want to be based on our why.

In all points raised, from both the Slowlane aspect and the Fastlane aspect are well laid out, in addition to the OP, but, sometimes we miss the fact that the bottomline is we hold the power to be whatever we choose, whether it falls along the lines of Fastlane or Slowlane.

What is your purpose for Fastlaning? This is one genuinely important question we each answer when we choose this journey. A lot of people adore the idea of the results of a Fastlane, yet, think the work to get there is a bit too much, even though it is 100% attainable, yet they ill-speak the slowlane, as if they have already been living huge on the Fastlane. On the same note, some people who live what most of us may define as a slowlane, are happy where they are, as again, it depends on what our desired results/purposes in life are.

We cannot deny the fact that what we have been taught in schools/society goes against the grain that a lot of us are happy to overcome through this forum and similar circles; however, even the most seasoned Fastlaners on this forum will admit that the slowlane helped in between when things were difficult while building their fastlane path.

With regards to the OP, I highly respect your purpose for highlighting it, as often times, the overwhelming empowerment of TMF and now Unscripted often leads us to recognise - 'FINALLY, someone wrote a book, highlighting philosophies about exactly how I feel and what I want in life, but couldn't put into words.' Therefore, with the hype and excitement of the newfound knowledge, often times, people look down Slowlaning/Sidewalking.

Again, we each have to review what our purposes for going Fastlane (or remaining Slowlane) is, as this desired journey inspires us - specifically on the not-so-motivated-days to continue our journey - this is different from one individual to the next, same as for family or friends who choose to stay slowlane, when some of us just can't respect or understand it.

The slowlane, while it isn't the desired result for most of us on the Fastlane, plays an important role in choosing the Fastlane, even if it is the general motivation for our decision to go the Fastlane route.

BeFound Faithful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Dec 19, 2015
Southern California
The way I take this thread is as a caution for new people to the forum.

The caution is not to think of quitting the slowlane and going all-in fastlane as a romance or magic pill. Success is working smart and working hard.

I don't think many can be average in the slowlane and have fastlane success. A person with an average mentality for in their slowlane job and who jumps ship for the fastlane will likely drown or eventually grab at a life-preserver (another slowlane job).

IMHO, better in some cases, depends on the person and circumstances, to outgrow and outperform in the slowlane gig, seeing, creating more opportunities and being ready for action when the time is right, but don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about action faking.

I apply what I've learned about productivity- especially David Allen's GTD- for my life including my slowlane job. Because I'm killing it at my slowlane, I have greater confidence and determined focus for getting out of it. Now, I'm up at 4:30 am every day for fastlane action plan.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
This short post is dedicated to our newest forum members.

I've been hearing multiple times that broke forum members who are living in a parent's basement don't wanna get a job, because, in their opinion, working for someone automatically labels them as slowlaners.

It's bullshit. Why? Let's illustrate:

John is working as an accountant. He wakes up 6am and takes 1h trip to job while listening to music. He starts at 8am and finishes 4pm. He's always in a hurry to get back home, because his favorite TV show starts at 5:30 and lasts for 3 hours. He spends his evenings drinking beer and watching TV show before hitting a sack. On weekends he's usually hanging in pub with mates or playing computer games while smoking weed. John spends all he earns on bills and entertainment and took a 30k credit to buy a new edition Ford Focus, so he could brag to his office friends about it.

Sam is a janitor. He takes 4h bus trip to get to work and back home while reading business books. He reads roughly 120 pages a day. Sam lives frugally and is slowly, but steadily building his venture on the side. He spends his evenings optimizing online shop and keeping in touch with clients and attends various business meetings over the weekend for networking purposes. He's still working, because he has bills to pay and put food into his belly, but the rest of funds are going into his venture and networking. He doesn't have a TV, doesn't smoke weed and is meditating and exercising on a daily basis.

John and Sam are both working. Would you put them in a single basket that has a label of a slowlane on them? Are they both slowlaners by default?

Do you still think getting a job qualifies you as a slowlaner by default?

Hint: It mostly depends on what you do outside work hours and how you use your funds. Choice is yours.

Most of us here have had sh*t jobs in the past. Can't be afraid to work to get where you want in life.

Notable! - Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've finally managed to change from an 84 hour workweek to a slowlane job that's only 2 hours a day which I can easily support myself on (and actually even save). It frees up a lot of time for working on something fastlane. It did mean moving to another country though.

I would be interested to hear of other slowlane jobs that are great for what those of us starting out are trying to achieve. Don't think I've seen a thread on that yet?

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I've finally managed to change from an 84 hour workweek to a slowlane job that's only 2 hours a day which I can easily support myself on (and actually even save). It frees up a lot of time for working on something fastlane. It did mean moving to another country though.

I would be interested to hear of other slowlane jobs that are great for what those of us starting out are trying to achieve. Don't think I've seen a thread on that yet?
This one?
Notable! - Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Well no, not exactly. I'm talking about slowlane jobs that are not terrible haha, and leave a lot of time to work on fastlane.

My worst was definitely working as an electrical labourer at 19 (not apprentice) for my Dad. He went hard as hell on me and gave the other labourers a free ride (it felt like that haha). Of course I see now what he was doing ;)

He had the contracts with many bars in our home town. I would have to go under the bar through a slimy hole and work. First time down my hand went straight into a dead rat...

The words "down the hole" will always have a long lasting traumatic affect on me....

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
I consider myself a definite Fastlaner whatever that might really mean. If it means I have the choice to live how I want to live and whether or not I want to work. I am there. If it means I can enjoy the home I want, the car(s) I want, the travel I want. Then I am there. Because literally what I choose is probably a lot different than what other people might choose.

Now saying that I am by far retired from a "value" perspective. However I definitely work because I enjoy. I am a Director of Engineering at a Publicly Traded Software Company. I chose to do that, after I "Fastlaned" building and selling other companies. But my mindset is the same all the same. I always considered work to be a magnifier of incoming value to help me get where I wanted to go faster. Not as the sole means of getting there.

BUT and this is important, I know people that work only, never doing anything but work for other companies, and are definitely Fastlane in mentality and lifestyle. They are living how they want, one doesn't even have a care. He does the software work he does for me purely to fund his incredibly meager, but very very wealthy lifestyle. He has a small home on an ocean in another country. He has a wonderful food. He has a very high quality of life. He considers himself wealthier than most and happy. So at least you can work and live the way you want to live and be happy. True he might not have a huge mansion or Lambo, but he also doesn't want that.

Regarding the Neurosurgeon discussion, I have a great friend that happens to be a Neurosurgeon and a Software Developer and we worked on a CT/PET imaging Scan Registration software together. I asked him about the school and the years and the 350k in debt he racked up. He laughed, said he paid that off within two years and after he got a huge mortgage on his home. He said if he could have redone things he would have kept the very low interest school loans longer and bought his home, but he made a lot more than a people think right out of school in that job. He could most definitely retire by most peoples standards with zero debt at 35. It made a lot more sense to keep going and bring in a lot more. He works hard, but he is very happy with his life.

One thing I did learn from many of my Doctor friends, is Lending institutions consider that career gold and you get a lot of very good sweetheart deals being a Doctor. I never saw those kinds of deals until I had a fair amount of money, but once I did I realize how seemingly unfair things could be. Even my lawyer buddies didn't get the same deals these Doctors did right out of school. My opinion is if you want a Medical career, and specialize into certain medical fields, then you definitely are one definition of Fastlane and the School Loans don't matter nearly as much as if you have 75k in loans and got a Liberal Arts degree. Good luck there. Personally I wouldn't knock the dedication and time commitment to become a doctor. It isn't for me. I value time so much more than what it would take. However my friend values what he does for people far higher than his time. A fair trade in my opinion. He is happy as well.

Me I say work if you want to. Work if you need to fund in some manner your idea. But don't only work to live with no plan to change, unless your perfect lifestyle is supported by the work. What makes one person happy, might make another agitated. I try not to judge. I only judge the willfully stupid and ignorant people. Sorry.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I always considered work to be a magnifier of incoming value to help me get where I wanted to go faster. Not as the sole means of getting there.

Interesting post. I am especially intrigued by this paragraph. I am thinking of making big changes in my life and hope you'll find few spare minutes to elaborate that in private message. I just don't want to hijack my own thread topic.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Yea, @SteveO is a legend. His story is truly inspirational.
Thanks for that. There will be many that will surpass what I have done by a long ways. What seems like a struggle today will turn into something different in the future. I did not even start looking past the job world until the age of 37. Legend is just perspective.

To discuss your point, I agree completely. Two things were accomplished working jobs. Greater access to capital and lots of learning.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Thanks for that. There will be many that will surpass what I have done by a long ways. What seems like a struggle today will turn into something different in the future. I did not even start looking past the job world until the age of 37. Legend is just perspective.

To discuss your point, I agree completely. Two things were accomplished working jobs. Greater access to capital and lots of learning.

I am 25 and hope to start career in a completely different industry while building my venture on the side. I hope I'm not too late in a career game to start over at 25.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Is there a single job out there that could lead you to retiring 30 years early?

Yes, many.

But it requires starting young, preferably having a 6-fig salary (ex: engineer job), and 7-10 years of hardcore saving (like 70%+ of your income)

Before I came here, I was a follower of the "early retirement" movement ala blogs like EarlyRetirementExtreme and Mr Money Mustache. Lots of these guys are making it happen.

The trade-off is the lifestyle. You can retire 30-years earlier, but you'll be doing all your own yardwork and house repairs, and generally have to be pretty optimized with all of the financial choices that you make.

If you're not ok with living a simple life, but want to retire early, then a business is the way to go.

Last edited:

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
If you're not ok with living a simple life, but want to retire early, then a business is the way to go.

This very much so. Software Engineering can definitely pay the bills and if you are an avid saver, and live fairly frugally, with the six-figure salary you get as an Engineer and up the chain you will be totally fine in less than 30 years. But the simple life means, financially secure, standard or less home, nice normal <40k car. You aren't talking about the high life.

You also go into severe debt and live very well indeed at that level. But you won't retire early or probably be able to retire at all.

Or as stated, the best way is to get into a business that accelerates everything. If you live as an Engineer at 30% of your total income OK, imagine what that looks like as a Successful Engineer Business Owner or whatever with a 7 figure salary you are living frugally at 30% of. Big difference.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
I am 25 and hope to start career in a completely different industry while building my venture on the side. I hope I'm not too late in a career game to start over at 25.
Never too late, surely starting at 25 definitely beats starting later, but at your stage it is not late at all. You clearly have overcome "just" having the mindset alone to build your fastlane. You have already began taking action which will lead to your venture and that is an important step. As we know, taking action and making it happen with the philosophies highlighted in the books and throughout this forum from the remarkable stories will help us get to where we want regardless of our ages.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
thought this was hilarious yet sad at the same time.

walking around at night and i see a security guard, totally crazy right?? well, its nightshift and as i get closer and closer i see his car, wait a minute...is that? nah...really? a brand new bmw? A BRAND NEW BMW? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? holy ****

fiancing a BRAND NEW bmw and working for sub 20 bucks an hour? slowlane right there.

suprised to see how cheap new cars are tho, there was an eclass benz you could fiance for 600 bucks a month, a 16 year old working at mcdonalds could afford it, lol................

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.