The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Work is for Slowlaners

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
walking around at night and i see a security guard, totally crazy right?? well, its nightshift and as i get closer and closer i see his car, wait a minute...is that? nah...really? a brand new bmw? A BRAND NEW BMW? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? holy ****

Yesterday I saw an old truck, probably about 15 years old with its bumper nearly falling off. It had dents and even some rust, which in AZ, is rare. Emblazened on the back window was the following: "Learn how to make more money, pay less taxes, and build wealth! I CAN SHOW YOU HOW. Call (480) 555-5555."

I LOL'd. Who would call this guy?

If you're gonna claim to possess the holy grail to wealth, you probably should be rolling around in something slightly better than a $900 truck on its last legs. He didn't need a BMW, just something presentable and not so paradoxical. I couldn't stop laughing.

Fastlane IMO is more of a mindset

Absolutely. A job can be a perfect fit for a Fastlaner if it fits into the long-game.

Simply put, if you're broke and refuse to get a job because you think it's slowlane, you're not fastlane, you're a loser

+1

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Yesterday I saw an old truck, probably about 15 years old with its bumper nearly falling off. It had dents and even some rust, which in AZ, is rare. Emblazened on the back window was the following: "Learn how to make more money, pay less taxes, and build wealth! I CAN SHOW YOU HOW. Call (480) 555-5555."

I LOL'd. Who would call this guy?

If you're gonna claim to possess the holy grail to wealth, you probably should be rolling around in something slightly better than a $900 truck on its last legs. He didn't need a BMW, just something presentable and not so paradoxical. I couldn't stop laughing.

Absolutely. A job can be a perfect fit for a Fastlaner if it fits into the long-game.

+1

The funny thing is - if he was rolling around in a new Camry or Buick, and nobody would take him seriously, no matter how much money he really had.

I have a friend - whom I significantly outearn - who drives a new 335, and people automatically assume he is well off and actually scoff at the fact that the guy taking the bus could be better off than one in a new Beemer. The basement apt his parents pay for, and constantly overdrafted accounts say otherwise.

The importance people place on petty status symbols never ceases to shock me.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
if he was rolling around in a new Camry or Buick, and nobody would take him seriously

If that was the case, I wouldn't have really thought about it. But I could have taken him seriously. I took note because of the disparity. If you want to portray wealth to an audience, you can't look like you're on welfare.

At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with an old truck. Heck I have one. But my truck does NOT have an advertisement for The Millionaire Fastlane on it. I'd be presenting the same disparity and incongruence. (I have, however, advertised my books on my Lambo before.)

If someone wants to roll around town and claim to be the next incarnation of Warren Buffet, he'd better present better than a 15-year old rusty Ford with 259,000 miles. Otherwise no one will take you seriously, even if you do have something good to say.

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The importance people place on petty status symbols never ceases to shock me.

I went out and met a girl for a first date not long ago. The topic of "what do you drive" came up. When she found out I drove a (almost new) Honda Civic, she (good-naturedly) made fun of me. She drives an Audi. Which she financed at "a great rate, with 0% down, so it was an easy decision."

I laughed and told her I only pay cash for cars. She had difficulty comprehending this, it seemed.

There was no second date.

D

Deleted50669

I went out and met a girl for a first date not long ago. The topic of "what do you drive" came up. When she found out I drove a (almost new) Honda Civic, she (good-naturedly) made fun of me. She drives an Audi. Which she financed at "a great rate, with 0% down, so it was an easy decision."

I laughed and told her I only pay cash for cars. She had difficulty comprehending this, it seemed.

You should see their reaction when they hear I’m a management consultant without a car and I tell them I don’t invest in depreciating assets.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
fiancing a BRAND NEW bmw and working for sub 20 bucks an hour? slowlane right there.

I would say more like sidewalk. And that sounds like pretty good pay for a security guard. Down here in US its more like minimum wage.

Cars are one thing most people neglect in personal finance. That $50k 3 series beemer will lose $35k of it's value over 4-5 years. And your still gonna owe on it. And some people wonder why they can't get ahead. And no, leasing the car is not cheaper.

Everywhere you look people drive new big SUVS or sedans and americans whine that they can't get ahead. Maybe its because you have too many payments to some bank. Big hat no cattle.

:inpain:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Ah great
I had a realisation recently
That you have to OWN being a slowlaner
In order to break through it

Basically, if you RUN from it, you go more towards sidewalker
And you'll action fake

But if you FACE the slowlane, and charge up, and ready your power to blast straight through it
You are owning that part of yourself and going beyond it with your strength and focus

I realised recently that my more efficient slowlane job where I work for myself and don't have to do as much
Needs me to transform it with focus and heart
So I can blast right through it

I've always been afraid of going too fast too soon
But I think the way to handle that is to own the slowlane and do it so well you blast up straight through the middle
Blasting all its nonsense aside, you grasp that next level of operating at top speed

Fpm9

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 27, 2017
Paris
You should see their reaction when they hear I’m a management consultant without a car and I tell them I don’t invest in depreciating assets.

This reminds me of weekend millionaire earning minimum wage, but renting expensive cars and spending $200 on bottle service at the club on saturday night. Then on monday morning complain that they're broke because of < the system / capitalism / their boss / bs reason >

D

Deleted50669

This reminds me of weekend millionaire earning minimum wage, but renting expensive cars and spending $200 on bottle service at the club on saturday night. Then on monday morning complain that they're broke because of < the system / capitalism / their boss / bs reason >

Wait, so you’re telling me all the Ferraris I see in Georgetown don’t belong to rich folk?

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali

I have an 08' civic, to me its a car, not bad, not flashy, but girls seem to love it, gets compliments all the time somehow lol.

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I have an 08' civic, to me its a car, not bad, not flashy, but girls seem to love it, gets compliments all the time somehow lol.

Haha, my car is actually pretty nice and I do get compliments on it. I think just the name "Honda Civic" is sarcastically associated with the classic, non-flashy/lame car that everyone buys, even though the current lineups are really sleek-looking (and not super cheap anymore either).

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
lol weekend millionaire, i love that!

about cars, im in west kitts (vancouver) just finished work by point grey road. its a road that is an oceanside view row of homes that range anywhere from 5-80 million.

while there are some nice cars there like ferraris and the over typical porsche, A LOT of cars parked in the driveways if you manage to peek through are totally normal cars like civics and low class bmw/mercedes and crappy suvs. although i think the reason for that is a trend called ''stealth wealth''. meaning when you are so well off its preferable to blend in and just look like an average person.

id imagine driving a ferrari or lamborghini every day could be annoying with all the attention....... awesome example is fat teen @MJ DeMarco asking the dude in a lamborghini countach? what he did for a living to afford the car, imagine hearing crap like that all the time. havent driven a high end car like that, but ive taken a 911 for a spin and people stare like a naked woman is walking down the street.

@404profound since i am in one of the most affluent areas in the world, youd be suprised at how many insanely wealthy people drive normal cars. there was this one guy down the street rolling around in an older dodge ram but being the peeping tom i am he had a sick aventador chilling in the garage, the guy driving down the street in a honda crv could be worth 500 million for all you know! ive seen it millions of times.

cars do not signify wealth at all, common misconception

even a ferrari or lambo you can buy for sub 150k can be financed/leased/car loaned

but, if someone has an ocean side house....................................

D

Deleted50669

lol weekend millionaire, i love that!

about cars, im in west kitts (vancouver) just finished work by point grey road. its a road that is an oceanside view row of homes that range anywhere from 5-80 million.

while there are some nice cars there like ferraris and the over typical porsche, A LOT of cars parked in the driveways if you manage to peek through are totally normal cars like civics and low class bmw/mercedes and crappy suvs. although i think the reason for that is a trend called ''stealth wealth''. meaning when you are so well off its preferable to blend in and just look like an average person.

id imagine driving a ferrari or lamborghini every day could be annoying with all the attention....... awesome example is fat teen @MJ DeMarco asking the dude in a lamborghini countach? what he did for a living to afford the car, imagine hearing crap like that all the time. havent driven a high end car like that, but ive taken a 911 for a spin and people stare like a naked woman is walking down the street.

@404profound since i am in one of the most affluent areas in the world, youd be suprised at how many insanely wealthy people drive normal cars. there was this one guy down the street rolling around in an older dodge ram but being the peeping tom i am he had a sick aventador chilling in the garage, the guy driving down the street in a honda crv could be worth 500 million for all you know! ive seen it millions of times.

cars do not signify wealth at all, common misconception

even a ferrari or lambo you can buy for sub 150k can be financed/leased/car loaned

but, if someone has an ocean side house....................................

Well shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This short post is dedicated to our newest forum members.

Do you still think getting a job qualifies you as a slowlaner by default?

Hint: It mostly depends on what you do outside work hours and how you use your funds. Choice is yours.

I believe in young people getting jobs in their area of interest, to essentially stick their toe in the water before they jump in with both feet. How can anyone intelligently enter a world where they've never been -- without starting in an entry level position? I see jobs as learning tools and a chance to explore. I feel the same way about students picking a major. Until you actually work in an industry or a segment of the economy, including working in different jobs with a variety of duties-- how do you know what you want, how it works and how you feel about put your heart and soul into that business endeavor? It takes time and experience to grow into a lot of these life moments.

D

Deleted50669

I believe in young people getting jobs in their area of interest, to essentially stick their toe in the water before they jump in with both feet. How can anyone intelligently enter a world where they've never been -- without starting in an entry level position? I see jobs as learning tools and a chance to explore. I feel the same way about students picking a major. Until you actually work in an industry or a segment of the economy, including working in different jobs with a variety of duties-- how do you know what you want, how it works and how you feel about put your heart and soul into that business endeavor? It takes time and experience to grow into a lot of these life moments.

A lesson I’m painfully in the process of learning.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
A lesson I’m painfully in the process of learning.
Ah, but the lessons last a lifetime, and they can stretch across to different types of businesses. Back then, I never thought I'd use what learned as a kid trying to walking that path -- and my early years were a really hard road. Now, I still use those lessons everyday, and I'm 63 3/4 years old. I am very blessed to have had those early jobs and my mentors -- and some of the best lessons hurt like hell. They all taught me something that I've needed to use later in my business life. I've been self employed for 41 years now. I have some learn years and a lot of success. I wish you the same.

D

Deleted50669

Ah, but the lessons last a lifetime, and they can stretch across to different types of businesses. Back then, I never thought I'd use what learned as a kid trying to walking that path -- and my early years were a really hard road. Now, I still use those lessons everyday, and I'm 63 3/4 years old. I am very blessed to have had those early jobs and my mentors -- and some of the best lessons hurt like hell. They all taught me something that I've needed to use later in my business life. I've been self employed for 41 years now. I have some learn years and a lot of success. I wish you the same.
Rep+ for being a mentor, appreciate the perspective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.